OU Mandibuzz

Overview
########

Mandibuzz's use as a mixed wall is not to be overlooked, as her typing, movepool, and defenses together allow her to solve several problems that stall teams suffer from. Dark / Flying typing, in conjunction with Mandibuzz's solid defenses, allows her to take hits from Pokemon that typically give defensive teams trouble, such as Landorus, Gengar, and Breloom. Her movepool only makes things better, as having access to reliable recovery in Roost, a strong STAB move in Foul Play, and a number of useful support options makes her useful on a wide variety of teams. The popularity of Mega Diancie, Mega Altaria, and Mega Sableye in ORAS makes Mandibuzz a liability at times, as she's incapable of doing anything of note to them. Her weakness to Stealth Rock is also problematic, as she loses a quarter of her HP upon switching into it, making her ability to stop threats such as Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny much shakier.

Utility Buzzard
########
name: Utility Buzzard
move 1: Foul Play
move 2: Roost
move 3: Taunt / Toxic
move 4: Defog / Toxic / Knock Off
ability: Overcoat
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
nature: Bold / Impish

Moves
========

Foul Play is an especially useful STAB attack for Mandibuzz, allowing her to circumvent her weak Attack stat and use her foe's instead. Roost provides a reliable source of recovery, allowing Mandibuzz to keep her health up throughout the match. Taunt provides the ability to stop enemies from using status moves, preventing them from boosting their stats, setting up hazards, inflicting status, and healing themselves. Toxic provides another form of damage, chipping away at bulky or specially based Pokemon that take little damage from Foul Play, such as Rotom-W. Defog allows Mandibuzz to remove entry hazards from both sides of the field, preventing Mandibuzz and her teammates from being worn down by the omnipresent Stealth Rock. Lastly, Knock Off is useful for removing items from enemies.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs maximize Mandibuzz's health, making her as tanky as possible while allowing her to switch into Stealth Rock four times without fainting. 108 EVs are allocated to Special Defense, preventing Landorus from 2HKOing Mandibuzz with Focus Blast and helping her to better take Sludge Waves from Gengar. 16 Speed EVs allow Mandibuzz to outrun fully invested Adamant Azumarill and hit it with Foul Play after it sets up a Belly Drum. The remaining EVs go into Defense to help with taking physical hits.

Leftovers provides passive health regeneration, which Mandibuzz greatly appreciates. Overcoat provides Mandibuzz with an immunity to sand and the rare hail. It also allows her to switch into powder moves, such as Breloom and Amoonguss's Spore and Mega Venusaur's Sleep Powder, which makes her an excellent check to them. A Bold nature and 0 Attack IVs are used because Foul Play uses the foe's Attack stat instead of Mandibuzz's, so the lower Attack minimizes the amount of damage that confusion and opposing users of Foul Play will do. If you opt to run Knock Off, an Impish nature and 31 Attack IVs maximize the damage it will do.

Usage Tips
========

Mandibuzz's bulk and typing allow her to enter the field on resisted or non-threatening attacks, where it can wall and wear down the opposing team. The combination of Taunt and Toxic completely shuts down passive threats such as Chansey, Hippowdon, and Slowbro, but it also can wear down defensive pairings, with one member often being rendered completely useless by Taunt while the other is quickly worn down by Toxic. Alternatively, the combination of Taunt and Defog turns Mandibuzz into a dedicated anti-hazard wall capable of removing hazards and preventing them from being set up again. If the opposing Stealth Rock setter isn't a threat to Mandibuzz, switching in as they set up Stealth Rock will allow Mandibuzz to immediately remove the entry hazard as well as avoid taking damage, which greatly helps in avoiding being 2HKOed by Mega Metagross's Meteor Mash and Mega Lopunny's High Jump Kick.

Team Options
========

Being predominantly a physical wall, Mandibuzz enjoys the presence of special walls that can soak up powerful attacks for it. Chansey makes for a good partner, as it can work as a cleric to keep Mandibuzz and the rest of the team free of status. Mandibuzz works well with a reliable Stealth Rock user, such as Hippowdon or Landorus-T, as Defog will remove your own hazards as well as your opponent's. Pokemon that are weak to Stealth Rock, such as Charizard, Volcarona, and Talonflame, all appreciate Mandibuzz's Defogging ability. If Mandibuzz isn't running Defog, it'll need a partner that can remove hazards for it. On defensive teams, Tentacruel and defensive Starmie can provide Rapid Spin support. On offensively based teams, Excadrill or Latios will be more effective. Fairy-types give Mandibuzz a lot of trouble, so a partner that can deal with them is crucial. Heatran, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Mega Charizard Y all have good synergy with Mandibuzz while being able to take on Fairy-types thanks to their typing. Other Pokemon such as Toxic Spikes Dragalge or specially defensive Gliscor make for great choices too.

Other Options
########

Whirlwind forces the opponent to randomly switch to another Pokemon, which lets Mandibuzz force out boosting sweepers, keep dangerous Pokemon from switching in, and drag the opponent's team through whatever entry hazards are on their side of the field. U-turn is a an option in order to lure in Mandibuzz's checks and counters, as well as bring fast, frail Pokemon in without exposing them to damage. Tailwind doubles the Speed of your team for five turns, which can be priceless for balanced teams that need a quick boost. Brave Bird can be used over Foul Play if your team needs a way to deal with Mega Lopunny, Mega Venusaur, Breloom, or Amoonguss, but it's weaker than Foul Play in most situations. Lastly, Rocky Helmet can provide a way to punish physical attacks, especially U-turn, though the passive recovery that Leftovers brings is very good as well.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Most Fairy-types are able to come in on Mandibuzz for nearly no cost by virtue of their typing. They resist Foul Play, leaving only Toxic as a reliable way to inflict damage. Mega Diancie is particularly threatening, as its Magic Bounce renders Mandibuzz unable to Taunt or Toxic it, leaving it free to set up or fire off powerful Moonblasts.

**Mega Sableye**: Thanks to its typing, Magic Bounce, and movepool, Mega Sableye can switch into Mandibuzz with no fear and proceed to set up with Calm Mind, burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and wear it down. Although the utility set isn't as immediately dangerous to Mandibuzz, Mega Sableye will be able to stall Mandibuzz out the PP of Roost thanks to Will-O-Wisp and Knock Off, while Mandibuzz will not be able to respond.

**Special Attackers**: Despite Mandibuzz being an answer to Landorus and Gengar, it struggles with most special attackers. Pokemon such as Raikou, Thundurus, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, and Latios are all capable of severely damaging Mandibuzz, if not OHKOing it.

**Status**: Toxic poison puts a timer on Mandibuzz, preventing it from staying in for extended periods of time. The residual damage a burn deals is less of an issue than poison's, but it halves the damage output of Foul Play, making Mandibuzz unable to deal with threats as easily as before.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 152+ Def Mandibuzz: 160-190 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Thats a pretty darn high chance, an I dont think its worth running that risk considering how much of a threat gross is atm.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 148-175 (34.9 - 41.3%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Even with max def it has a chance to be 2hkoed lol, and getting an attack boost isnt helping you either. Max def is probably the way to go.

Also, no need to make a post for changelogs, just respond to posts others make and make new ones to show changes.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 152+ Def Mandibuzz: 160-190 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Thats a pretty darn high chance, an I dont think its worth running that risk considering how much of a threat gross is atm.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 148-175 (34.9 - 41.3%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Even with max def it has a chance to be 2hkoed lol, and getting an attack boost isnt helping you either. Max def is probably the way to go.

Also, no need to make a post for changelogs, just respond to posts others make and make new ones to show changes.
Yeah, I was going to mention that it needs Rocks gone in order to be a proper counter, though it is good to switch into any other move. The same thing is true with Lopunny, with either Rocks or Adamant. I'll make sure I address / remove this before it goes to QC.

The changelog is more for myself so I can keep myself organized without running through the whole thread. If it's a problem, I can delete it.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'd make a mention of Rocky Helmet in OO. Gives you an edge against physically offensive threats such as M-Gross, M-Lopunny, M-Gyarados, and M-Gallade as some examples. The 16 Speed EVs are reassurance because granted your standard Azumarill spread isn't running full speed anymore but I've seen games and do know some individuals that will run max speed Jolly Azu to get the jump on threats such as M-Venusaur and the normal things people take for granted. Slash Defog before Toxic. It's a pretty big selling point in Mandibuzz to begin with.

On your usage tips mention that you also want to switch in on Pokemon who are planning on using Stealth Rock as this saves Mandibuzz 1/4 of its HP and can take the appropriate action. Elaborate on what Taunt + Toxic actually stall-breaks because it doesn't actually stall-break on a grander scale in regards to your average defensive builds these days. Establish that these will be defensive cores that are susceptible to one of these moves or both. I'd mention U-Turn in OO considering Mandibuzz is forced out by a lot of offensive Fairy Types as such you can grab momentum on these when they switch in. I'll comment more later if I see anything after you put stuff down.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'd say that the sprad of 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe should be maintained as the main spread, with more Defense for Mega Metagross and Adamant Mega Lopunny / SD Mega Gallade in Set Details. Checking Gengar and Landorus is a huge feature in this metagame, and while taking on the latter mentioned Pokemon is nice, you could mention stuff like Hippowdon / Landorus-T as good teammates. I'd also like to have Brave Bird mentioned or even slashed, so you are capable of beating PuP Lopunny and miscellaneous things like Amoongus and Mega Venusaur. I'd also say that 16 speed is a necessity, becuase hitting the 200 benchmark is huge, even though Azumarill doesn't run that much Speed anymore.

I know this is still a WIP, but as you go along, mention that Clefable lets up or gets free turns while you can do little to nothing in return. Other Fairy-types also force you out, so mention Steel-types such as Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Heatran, and Pokemon that can make use of Fairies such as SpD Gliscor with Swords Dance, and Toxic Spikes Dragalge for team options.

I'd make a mention of Rocky Helmet in OO. Gives you an edge against physically offensive threats such as M-Gross, M-Lopunny, M-Gyarados, and M-Gallade as some examples. The 16 Speed EVs are reassurance because granted your standard Azumarill spread isn't running full speed anymore but I've seen games and do know some individuals that will run max speed Jolly Azu to get the jump on threats such as M-Venusaur and the normal things people take for granted. Slash Defog before Toxic. It's a pretty big selling point in Mandibuzz to begin with.

On your usage tips mention that you also want to switch in on Pokemon who are planning on using Stealth Rock as this saves Mandibuzz 1/4 of its HP and can take the appropriate action. Elaborate on what Taunt + Toxic actually stall-breaks because it doesn't actually stall-break on a grander scale in regards to your average defensive builds these days. Establish that these will be defensive cores that are susceptible to one of these moves or both. I'd mention U-Turn in OO considering Mandibuzz is forced out by a lot of offensive Fairy Types as such you can grab momentum on these when they switch in. I'll comment more later if I see anything after you put stuff down.
Think I've added everything mentioned. Is the Taunt + Toxic section in depth enough, or does it need more added to it?

I'd say that the sprad of 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe should be maintained as the main spread, with more Defense for Mega Metagross and Adamant Mega Lopunny / SD Mega Gallade in Set Details. Checking Gengar and Landorus is a huge feature in this metagame, and while taking on the latter mentioned Pokemon is nice, you could mention stuff like Hippowdon / Landorus-T as good teammates. I'd also like to have Brave Bird mentioned or even slashed, so you are capable of beating PuP Lopunny and miscellaneous things like Amoongus and Mega Venusaur. I'd also say that 16 speed is a necessity, becuase hitting the 200 benchmark is huge, even though Azumarill doesn't run that much Speed anymore.

I know this is still a WIP, but as you go along, mention that Clefable lets up or gets free turns while you can do little to nothing in return. Other Fairy-types also force you out, so mention Steel-types such as Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Heatran, and Pokemon that can make use of Fairies such as SpD Gliscor with Swords Dance, and Toxic Spikes Dragalge for team options.
Done. I'm tossing Brave Bird in OO for the moment, since it's pretty weak outside of what you've listed. Plus, Foul Play 2HKOes +1 Lopunny 98.8% of the time after Rocks, while Brave Bird doesn't manage to OHKO with Impish.

I believe I'm done with the skeleton now, so I'm going to clean a few things up and ready it for QC.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mention that Overcoat gives immunity to Spore and Sleep Powder, making you a decent switch-in to Amoonguss, Breloom without Rock Tomb, and Mega Venusaur. You can then Taunt to prevent them from putting a teammate to sleep and allow easier checking.

Mention that Overcoat gives immunity to Spore and Sleep Powder, making you a decent switch-in to Amoonguss, Breloom without Rock Tomb, and Mega Venusaur. You can then Taunt to prevent them from putting a teammate to sleep and allow easier checking.
Done.

Oookay, so I may have forgotten about this, what with school and moving and stuff. Sorry for the lengthy delay.

This should be ready for it's third QC check, assuming I haven't missed anything.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
IMO, U-Turn deserves at least a mention in Moves, as it eases prediction, and allows the bird to generate momentum for the team. I'm almost tempted to say that it should be slashed over Knock Off, but I'm not too sure.

Last edited:
IMO, U-Turn deserves at least a mention in Moves, as it eases prediction, and allows the bird to generate momentum for the team. I'm almost tempted to say that it should be slashed over Knock Off, but I'm not too sure.
Mandi's mostly used on stall teams, where losing and gaining momentum isn't something players should be concerning themselves with very much. Knock Off is generally better for stall. I would put both in, but then we'd have way too many slashes.

GP Team has been contacted :)

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Mandi's mostly used on stall teams, where losing and gaining momentum isn't something players should be concerning themselves with very much. Knock Off is generally better for stall. I would put both in, but then we'd have way too many slashes.

GP Team has been contacted :)
Well, isn't it possible to mention the move without slashing it anywhere? Also, Mandibuzz isn't only used on stall teams; it's also a great well-rounded bulky mon for balance.

Edit: ah, I just discovered it's in Other Options. Ok, my bad.

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

Overview
########

Mandibuzz's use as a mixed wall is not to be overlooked, as her typing, movepool, and defenses together allow it her (consistency with the other uses of gendered pronouns) to solve several problems that stall teams suffer from. Dark / Flying typing, in conjunction with Mandibuzz's solid defenses, allows her to take hits from Pokemon that typically give defensive teams trouble, such as Landorus, Gengar, and Breloom. Her movepool only makes things better, as having access to reliable recovery in Roost, a strong STAB in Foul Play, and a number of useful support options makes her useful on a wide variety of teams. The popularity of Mega Diancie, Mega Altaria, and Mega Sableye in ORAS makes Mandibuzz a liability at times, as she's incapable of doing anything of note to them. Her weakness to Stealth Rock is also problematic, as she loses a quarter of her HP upon switching into them it, making her ability to stop threats such as Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny much shakier.

SET NAME (this should be the same as the name listed below)
########
move 3: Taunt / Whirlwind

Moves
========

Foul Play is an especially useful STAB attack for Mandibuzz, allowing her to circumvent her weak Attack stat and use her opponent's foe's (opponent = opposing player, foe = their Pokémon) instead. Roost provides a reliable source of recovery, allowing Mandibuzz to keep her health up throughout the match. Taunt provides the ability to stop enemies from using status moves, preventing them from attempting to boost their stats, setting up hazards, apply inflicting status effects, and healing themselves. Whirlwind forces the opponent to randomly switch to another Pokemon, which lets Mandibuzz force out boosting sweepers, keep dangerous Pokemon from switching in, and drag them through whatever hazards are on there their side of the field. Defog allows Mandibuzz to remove entry hazards from both sides of the field, preventing Mandibuzz and her teammates from being worn down by the omnipresent Stealth Rock. Toxic provides another form of damage, chipping away at bulky or specially based Pokemon that take little damage from Foul Play, such as Rotom-W. Lastly, Knock Off is useful for removing items from enemies.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs maximizes Mandibuzz's health, making her as tanky as possible, (RC) while allowing her to switch into Stealth Rock four times without dying fainting. 108 EVs are allocated to Special Defense, preventing Landorus from 2HKOing Mandibuzz with Focus Blast and helping her to better take Sludge Waves from Gengar. 16 Speed allows Mandibuzz to outrun fully invested Adamant Azumarill, allowing you to and hit it with Foul Play after it sets up a Belly Drum. The remaining EVs go into Defense, (RC) to help with taking physical hits.

Leftovers provides passive health regeneration, which Mandibuzz greatly appreciates. Overcoat provides Mandibuzz with an immunity to sand, and to a lesser extent, and the rare hail. (sort of sounded like Overcoat grants more protection against sand) It also allows her to switch into powder moves, such as Breloom and Amoonguss's Spore and Mega Venusaur's Sleep Powder, which makes her an excellent check for to them. A Bold nature and 0 Attack IVs are used because Foul Play uses the opponent's foe's Attack stat instead of Mandibuzz's, so the lower attack minimizes the amount of damage that confusion and opposing users of Foul Play's will do. If you opt to run Knock Off, an Impish nature and 31 Attack IVs maximize the damage it will do.

Usage Tips
========

Mandibuzz's bulk and typing allow it to enter the field on resisted or non-threatening attacks, where it can wall and wear down the opposing team. The combination of Taunt and Toxic completely shuts down passive threats like such as Chansey, Hippowdon, and Slowbro, but it also can wear down defensive pairings, with one member often being rendered completely walled useless by Taunt while the other is quickly worn down with Toxic. Alternatively, Taunt and Defog turns Mandibuzz into a dedicated anti-hazard wall capable of removing entry hazards and preventing them from coming back up being set up again. If the opposing Stealth Rock layer setter isn't a threat to Mandibuzz, switching in as they set up Stealth Rock will allow you Mandibuzz to immediately remove the entry hazard, (RC) as well as avoid taking damage at all, which greatly helps in avoiding being 2HKOed by Mega Metagross's Meteor Mash and Mega Lopunny's High Jump Kick.

Team Options
========

Being predominantly a physical wall, Mandibuzz enjoys the presence of special walls in order to that can soak up powerful attacks for it. Chansey makes for a good partner, as it can work as a cleric to keep Mandibuzz and the rest of the team free of status. Mandibuzz works well with a reliable Stealth Rock user, such as Hippowdon or Landorus-T, (AC) as Defog will remove your own entry hazards as well as your opponent's. Hippowdon or Landorus-T both do this very well. Pokemon that are weak to Stealth Rock, like such as Charizard, Volcarona, and Talonflame, all appreciate Mandibuzz's Defogging ability. If Mandibuzz isn't running Defog, it'll need a partner who that can remove hazards for it. On defensive teams, Tentacruel and defensive Starmie can provide Rapid Spin support. On offensively based teams, Excadrill or Latios will be more effective. Fairy-(add hyphen)types give Mandibuzz a lot of trouble, so a partner who that can deal with them is crucial. Heatran, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Charizard Y all have good synergy with Mandibuzz while being able to take on Fairy-(add hyphen)types thanks to their typing. Other Pokemon, like such as Toxic Spikes Dragalge or specially defensive Gliscor, (AC) make for great choices too.

Other Options
########

U-turn is a an option in order to lure in Mandibuzz's checks and counters, as well as bring fast, frail Pokemon in without exposing them to damage. Tailwind doubles the Speed of your team for five turns, which can be priceless for balanced teams that need a quick boost. Brave Bird can be used over Foul Play if your team needs a way to deal with Mega Lopunny, Mega Venusaur, Breloom, or Amoonguss, but it's weaker than Foul Play in most situations. Lastly, Rocky Helmet can provide a way to punish physical attacks, especially U-turn, though the passive recovery that Leftovers brings is very good as well.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy types**(remove space): Most Fairy(add hyphen)-types are able to come in on Mandibuzz for nearly no cost by virtue of their typing. They resist Foul Play, leaving Mandibuzz only Toxic as a reliable way to inflict damage. Mega Diancie is particularly threatening, as it'(remove apostrophe)s Magic Bounce leaves renders (changed this because "leaving" is used very shortly after) Mandibuzz unable to Taunt or Toxic it, leaving Diancie it free to set up or fire off powerful Moonblasts.
(add empty line)
**Mega Sableye**(remove space): Thanks to it'(remove apostrophe)s typing, Magic Bounce, and movepool, Mega Sableye can switch into Mandibuzz with no fear, (RC) and proceed to set up with Calm Minds, burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and wear it down. Although the utility set isn't as immediately dangerous to Mandibuzz, Mega Sableye will be able to PP stall Mandibuzz out of the PP of Roosts thanks to Will-O-Wisp and Knock Off, while Mandibuzz will not be able to respond.
(add empty line)
**Special Attackers**(remove space): Despite Mandibuzz being an answer to Landorus and Gengar, it struggles with most special attackers. Pokemon such as Raikou, Thundurus, Keldeo, Charizard Y, and Latios are all capable of severely damaging Mandibuzz, if not OHKOing it.
(add empty line)
**Burns and Poison Status**(remove space): Toxic poison puts a severe timer on Mandibuzz, preventing it from staying in for extended periods of time. The residual damage a burn deals is less of an issue than toxic poison, but it halves your the damage output of with Foul Play, making you Mandibuzz unable to deal with threats as easily as before.

GP 1/2 :)

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2 :)
Overview
########

Mandibuzz's use as a mixed wall is not to be overlooked, as her typing, movepool, and defenses together allow her to solve several problems that stall teams suffer from. Dark / Flying typing, in conjunction with Mandibuzz's solid defenses, allows her to take hits from Pokemon that typically give defensive teams trouble, such as Landorus, Gengar, and Breloom. Her movepool only makes things better, as having access to reliable recovery in Roost, a strong STAB move in Foul Play, and a number of useful support options makes her useful on a wide variety of teams. The popularity of Mega Diancie, Mega Altaria, and Mega Sableye in ORAS makes Mandibuzz a liability at times, as she's incapable of doing anything of note to them. Her weakness to Stealth Rock is also problematic, as she loses a quarter of her HP upon switching into it, making her ability to stop threats such as Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny much shakier.

Utility Buzzard
########
move 3: Taunt / Whirlwind

Moves
========

Foul Play is an especially useful STAB attack for Mandibuzz, allowing her to circumvent her weak Attack stat and use her foe's instead. Roost provides a reliable source of recovery, allowing Mandibuzz to keep her health up throughout the match. Taunt provides the ability to stop enemies from using status moves, preventing them from attempting to boosting their stats, setting up hazards, inflicting status, and healing themselves. Whirlwind forces the opponent to randomly switch to another Pokemon, which lets Mandibuzz force out boosting sweepers, keep dangerous Pokemon from switching in, and drag them (we don't really know what this 'them' is referring to, so maybe replace it with 'foes' or 'the incoming Pokemon' or 'the opponent's team' or whatever you think fits best) through whatever entry hazards are on their side of the field. Defog allows Mandibuzz to remove entry hazards from both sides of the field, preventing Mandibuzz and her teammates from being worn down by the omnipresent Stealth Rock. Toxic provides another form of damage, chipping away at bulky or specially based Pokemon that take little damage from Foul Play, such as Rotom-W. Lastly, Knock Off is useful for removing items from enemies.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs maximize Mandibuzz's health, making her as tanky as possible while allowing her to switch into Stealth Rock four times without fainting. 108 EVs are allocated to Special Defense, preventing Landorus from 2HKOing Mandibuzz with Focus Blast and helping her to better take Sludge Waves from Gengar. 16 Speed EVs allow Mandibuzz to outrun fully invested Adamant Azumarill and hit it with Foul Play after it sets up a Belly Drum. The remaining EVs go into Defense to help with taking physical hits.

Leftovers provides passive health regeneration, which Mandibuzz greatly appreciates. Overcoat provides Mandibuzz with an immunity to sand and the rare hail. It also allows her to switch into powder moves, such as Breloom and Amoonguss's Spore and Mega Venusaur's Sleep Powder, which makes her an excellent check to them. A Bold nature and 0 Attack IVs are used because Foul Play uses the foe's Attack stat instead of Mandibuzz's, so the lower Attack minimizes the amount of damage that confusion and opposing users of Foul Play will do. If you opt to run Knock Off, an Impish nature and 31 Attack IVs maximize the damage it will do.

Usage Tips
========

Mandibuzz's bulk and typing allow it her (consistency) to enter the field on resisted or non-threatening attacks, where it can wall and wear down the opposing team. The combination of Taunt and Toxic completely shuts down passive threats such as Chansey, Hippowdon, and Slowbro, but it also can wear down defensive pairings, with one member often being rendered completely useless by Taunt while the other is quickly worn down with by Toxic. Alternatively, (either add 'the combination of' here) Taunt and Defog turns (or change this into 'turn') Mandibuzz into a dedicated anti-hazard wall capable of removing hazards and preventing them from being set up again. If the opposing Stealth Rock setter isn't a threat to Mandibuzz, switching in as they set up Stealth Rock will allow Mandibuzz to immediately remove the entry hazard as well as avoid taking damage, which greatly helps in avoiding being 2HKOed by Mega Metagross's Meteor Mash and Mega Lopunny's High Jump Kick.

Team Options
========

Being predominantly a physical wall, Mandibuzz enjoys the presence of special walls that can soak up powerful attacks for it. Chansey makes for a good partner, as it can work as a cleric to keep Mandibuzz and the rest of the team free of status. Mandibuzz works well with a reliable Stealth Rock user, such as Hippowdon or Landorus-T, as Defog will remove your own hazards as well as your opponent's. Pokemon that are weak to Stealth Rock, such as Charizard, Volcarona, and Talonflame, all appreciate Mandibuzz's Defogging ability. If Mandibuzz isn't running Defog, it'll need a partner that can remove hazards for it. On defensive teams, Tentacruel and defensive Starmie can provide Rapid Spin support. On offensively based teams, Excadrill or Latios will be more effective. Fairy-types give Mandibuzz a lot of trouble, so a partner that can deal with them is crucial. Heatran, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Mega Charizard Y all have good synergy with Mandibuzz while being able to take on Fairy-types thanks to their typing. Other Pokemon, (remove comma) such as Toxic Spikes Dragalge or specially defensive Gliscor make for great choices too.

Other Options
########

U-turn is a an option in order to lure in Mandibuzz's checks and counters, as well as bring fast, frail Pokemon in without exposing them to damage. Tailwind doubles the Speed of your team for five turns, which can be priceless for balanced teams that need a quick boost. Brave Bird can be used over Foul Play if your team needs a way to deal with Mega Lopunny, Mega Venusaur, Breloom, or Amoonguss, but it's weaker than Foul Play in most situations. Lastly, Rocky Helmet can provide a way to punish physical attacks, especially U-turn, though the passive recovery that Leftovers brings is very good as well.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Most Fairy-types are able to come in on Mandibuzz for nearly no cost by virtue of their typing. They resist Foul Play, leaving only Toxic as a reliable way to inflict damage. Mega Diancie is particularly threatening, as its Magic Bounce renders Mandibuzz unable to Taunt or Toxic it, leaving it free to set up or fire off powerful Moonblasts.

**Mega Sableye**: Thanks to its typing, Magic Bounce, and movepool, Mega Sableye can switch into Mandibuzz with no fear and proceed to set up with Calm Mind, burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and wear it down. Although the utility set isn't as immediately dangerous to Mandibuzz, Mega Sableye will be able to stall Mandibuzz out the PP of Roost thanks to Will-O-Wisp and Knock Off, while Mandibuzz will not be able to respond.

**Special Attackers**: Despite Mandibuzz being an answer to Landorus and Gengar, it struggles with most special attackers. Pokemon such as Raikou, Thundurus, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, and Latios are all capable of severely damaging Mandibuzz, if not OHKOing it.

**Status**: Toxic poison puts a timer on Mandibuzz, preventing it from staying in for extended periods of time. The residual damage a burn deals is less of an issue than poison's (because you should compare burn's residual damage to poison's residual damage, not burn's residual damage to poison), but it halves the damage output of Foul Play, making Mandibuzz unable to deal with threats as easily as before.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know this has already been QC approved, but I'm honestly not a big fan of the way the set is currently put together (and I've talked to other QC members who agree). Whirlwind isn't a good option on Mandibuzz at all and should be deslashed. Against the setup sweepers it can beat, those being Mega Scizor, SD Talonflame, Mega Charizard X w/o SR up, and Mega Gallade w/o SR up (it's a small list), it would rather just go straight for Foul Play and KO instead of creating an opportunity for it to be worn down. If it's meant to deter setup, Foul Play is far better at that as it actually punishes the opponent for setting up. Toxic is better against Mega Slowbro. The other setup sweepers that it loses to, it still loses to with Whirlwind. I suppose you can use it to rack up hazard damage, but Mandibuzz has so many moves fighting for two slots that I can't really see it being used.

I also think Toxic could be slashed in the slot with Taunt in addition to its slash in the last slot. It's not like you have to run Taunt, as Toxic /is/ a very effective option, especially for teams that struggle with Mega Slowbro.

I know this has already been QC approved, but I'm honestly not a big fan of the way the set is currently put together (and I've talked to other QC members who agree). Whirlwind isn't a good option on Mandibuzz at all and should be deslashed. Against the setup sweepers it can beat, those being Mega Scizor, SD Talonflame, Mega Charizard X w/o SR up, and Mega Gallade w/o SR up (it's a small list), it would rather just go straight for Foul Play and KO instead of creating an opportunity for it to be worn down. If it's meant to deter setup, Foul Play is far better at that as it actually punishes the opponent for setting up. Toxic is better against Mega Slowbro. The other setup sweepers that it loses to, it still loses to with Whirlwind. I suppose you can use it to rack up hazard damage, but Mandibuzz has so many moves fighting for two slots that I can't really see it being used.

I also think Toxic could be slashed in the slot with Taunt in addition to its slash in the last slot. It's not like you have to run Taunt, as Toxic /is/ a very effective option, especially for teams that struggle with Mega Slowbro.
Sounds good to me. Would putting Whirlwind in OO make more sense?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)