Goodra (new) [QC: 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
  • Goodra has incredible special bulk, which allows it to serve as an effective special tank while still dishing out decent damage with its high base 110 Special Attack.
  • Goodra has a useful defensive typing to back up its bulk, giving four specially oriented resistances, and has nice coverage with its wide movepool. Fortunately, it has the stat distribution to run both physical and special offensive sets.
  • Unfortunately, Goodra needs to rely on 2HKOs or previous damage in order to efficiently dismantle walls.
  • Furthermore, Goodra's mediocre defensive bulk combined with no reliable recovery outside of Rest makes it face stiff competition in its roles when compared to the other Dragon-types such as Hydreigon and Noivern, both of which have Roost and more Speed.
  • However, incredible special bulk and a wide movepool create a usable niche for Goodra to take advantage of in the UnderUsed tier.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Earthquake / Fire Punch
move 3: Iron Tail
move 4: Power Whip
ability: Sap Sipper
item: Choice Band
evs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Outrage is Goodra's primary STAB move and wallbreaks efficiently,
  • Earthquake is extra nifty coverage and hits Steels such as Mega Aggron and Empoleon, but Fire Punch is a feasible option against Forretress
  • Iron Tail hits the main Fairy-types in the tier, such as Florges.
  • Power Whip allows Goodra to muscle through bulky Water-types such as Swampert and Suicune.
  • Superpower is a decent option against Blissey and Umbreon, as sometimes being locked into Outrage can be detrimental.

Set Details
========
  • Speed EVs outspeed Honchkrow and maximize power, the rest goes into Attack
  • Sap Sipper is clutch to switch in on Grass-type moves for free, which is a unique trait of Goodra
  • An Adamant nature is used to allow Goodra to hit as hard as possible.

Usage Tips
========
  • Goodra serves as a bulky wallbreaker that can take special hits decently well and hit fairly hard
  • Goodra works excellently as a teammate for Water-types such as Blastoise, Swampert, and Suicune, taking in Grass- and Electric-type moves for them
  • Try switching in on Seed Flares, Sleep Powders, and Leaf Storms, etc. if you can because a free switch-in to those is always nice and the Attack boost works extra well to help Goodra wallbreak

Team Options
========
  • Mega Blastoise is an excellent teammate, being able to lure in Grass- and Electric-type moves and providing extra hazard removal support with Rapid Spin. The combination of Mega Blastoise and Goodra makes an excellent special wallbreaking core.
  • Mega Aggron can take physical hits like a champion for Goodra if needed and provide Stealth Rock
  • Aromatisse and Florges are good teammates to switch in on opposing Dragon-type moves while also providing Wish support to consistently keep Goodra healthy.
  • Alomomola is also an awesome teammate for Goodra as it lures Grass-types and provides Wish support.
  • Faster revenge killers such as Krookodile and Mienshao can help in dealing with faster teams, and Krookodile can also lure in Grass-type Pokemon for Goodra capitalize on.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Muddy Water / Thunderbolt
ability: Sap Sipper / Gooey
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
nature: Modest

Moves
########
  • Draco Meteor serves as reliable STAB to hit fairly hard when needed.
  • Dragon Pulse is a decent option if one dislikes the Special Attack drop from Draco Meteor.
  • Fire Blast hits Steel- and Grass-types such as Forretress, Mega Aggron, and Grass-types such as Shaymin and Roserade hard, especially since Goodra can safely switch into their moves.
  • Sludge Bomb surprises incoming Florges, Aromatisse, Whimsicott, Slurpuff, and Granbull
  • Muddy Water is great against the plethora of Fire- and Ground-types in the tier, sporting a nifty secondary effect as well.
  • Thunderbolt hits bulky Water-types such as Empoleon that will try to tank against Goodra's special attacks.
Set Details
########
  • Goodra needs the 252 Special Attack EVs in order to hit moderately hard, with the 252 HP providing Goodra with usable bulk.
  • Choice Specs pushes Goodra's base 110 Special Attack into powerful territory, scoring some OHKOs against bulkier attackers such as Nidoqueen.
  • Sap Sipper provides Goodra with free switch-ins on Shaymin and Roserade, and can also provide extra power to whatever Goodra uses in the last slot.
  • Gooey is a useful alternate ability to allow Goodra to serve as a panic button against fast physical attackers such as Mienshao.

Usage Tips
########
  • Switch in Goodra on a resisted hit or on a Pokemon it checks, such as Shaymin, and proceed to attack with a power special move.
  • Goodra is mainly used to try to beat a lot of common special attackers in the metagame such as Shaymin and Chandelure

Team Options
########
  • Alomomola is a solid teammate to pass Wishes to Goodra and take physical hits for it. In turn, Goodra is effective at switching on on Pokemon that pose a large risk to Alomomola, such as Shaymin.
  • Swampert can provide Stealth Rock and has good defensive synergy with Goodra.
  • Aromatisse and Florges can also work well with Goodra by providing Wish + cleric support
  • Mega Aggron also works well as a teammate and provides the team with Stealth Rock and immense physical bulk

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4:Dragon Tail / Thunderbolt / Muddy Water
ability: Sap Sipper / Gooey
item: Assault Vest
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
nature: Modest

Moves
########
  • Draco Meteor serves as reliable STAB to hit fairly hard when needed.
  • Dragon Pulse is a decent option if one dislikes the Special Attack drop from Draco Meteor.
  • Fire Blast hits Steel- and Grass-types such as Forretress, Mega Aggron, and Grass-types such as Shaymin and Roserade hard, especially since Goodra can safely switch into their moves.
  • Sludge Bomb surprises incoming Florges, Aromatisse, Whimsicott, Slurpuff, and Granbull
  • Dragon Tail allows Goodra to phaze and force something out if it can't break them.
  • Thunderbolt hits bulky Water-types such as Empoleon that will try to tank against Goodra's special attacks.
  • Muddy Water is great against the plethora of Fire- and Ground-types in the tier, sporting a nifty secondary effect as well.

Set Details
########
  • Goodra needs the 252 Special Attack EVs in order to hit moderately hard, whereas the 252 HP provides Goodra was adequate bulk, especially in conjunction with Assault Vest.
  • Assault Vest pushes Goodra's incredibly high base 150 Special Defense to insane levels.
  • Sap Sipper provides Goodra with free switch-ins on Shaymin and Roserade, and can also provide extra power to whatever Goodra uses in the last slot.
  • Gooey is a useful alternate ability to allow Goodra to serve as a panic button against fast physical attackers such as Mienshao.

Usage Tips
########
  • Goodra can absorb any non-super effective special hit with no worries while dishing out respectable damage in return.
  • Goodra is mainly used to try to beat a lot of common special attackers in the metagame such as Shaymin and Chandelure

Team Options
########
  • Alomomola is a solid teammate to pass Wishes to Goodra and take physical hits for it. In turn, Goodra is effective at sponging a plethora of special hits that pose a large risk to Alomomola, such as Seed Flare from a Shaymin.
  • Swampert can provide Stealth Rock and has good defensive synergy with Goodra.
  • Aromatisse and Florges can also work well with Goodra by providing Wish + cleric support
  • Mega Aggron also works well as a teammate and provides the team with Stealth Rock and immense physical bulk

Other Options
########
  • Curse can be used effectively, boosting Goodra's mediocre defense to reasonable levels.
  • Rain Dance + Hydration is an interesting niche for rain teams.
  • Aqua Tail, Dragon Pulse, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast are all decent coverage moves can be used on the Assault Vest set.
  • Toxic can be used against Pokemon such as Vaporeon that attempt to work around Goodra's sometimes underwhelming special attacks.

Checks and Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Assault Vest Goodra has a very difficult time getting past special walls if it does not carry Superpower. Even then, Superpower damage is easily mitigated with reliable recovery.

**Physical Attackers** Pokemon such as Mienshao and Machamp to a large portion of damage to Goodra. Choice Band Infernape will OHKO both sets with Stealth Rock damage. Pokemon such as Mega Swampert have an easy time getting past the Assault Vest set.

**Status** Common Toxic users such as Tentacruel pose a status risk to Goodra, preventing it from remaining for the long haul. Scald and Will-O-Wisp users also threaten to whittle Goodra's HP.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Raikou is OU by usage
First off, this was a WIP when you posted that, so please don't cherry pick analyses that aren't ready to be QCed.

Secondly, most of this information was copy-pasted from a previous analysis and redone, and I wasn't at that part yet. Once again, please don't cherry pick analyses that aren't ready to be QCed.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
ready for QC, may have missed 1 or 2 pre-tier shift mons since this was redone from December.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Um...sorry if I sound rude and this seems really out of character for me to post this, but who exactly authorized you to do this?

Firstly, you didn't even speak to me about my Goodra analysis being idle. If you wanted to really badly see the analysis updated, or you wanted to see me update the analysis, you could have at least talked to me about this. I was working on the Goodra analysis beforehand and the thing is I never once said I was going to resign the Goodra analysis. All I see as evidence is that you asked in the reservations thread if you could take this thing over and no one seemed to have approved, unless you can give me visible source from irc or PM chat or something.

The analysis was, moreover, idle mainly because no one from the QC team even bothered to look at the Goodra analysis in question and suggest changes. If you wanted to see the analysis get changed and updated and vice versa, you could have just posted in my thread what changes you want to see made, and right, I would have implemented them, then said "Okay, I implemented the changes, I am now waiting for QC checks.". Just taking this analysis from me without my authorization seems extremely wrong to me, especially when I did not say ever that I planned to resign the Goodra analysis.

I personally wanted to continue working on the Goodra analysis, but the point of this post is that the action of making this thread seems extremely wrong to me, especially since I was never told of this.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
Um...sorry if I sound rude and this seems really out of character for me to post this, but who exactly authorized you to do this?

Firstly, you didn't even speak to me about my Goodra analysis being idle. If you wanted to really badly see the analysis updated, or you wanted to see me update the analysis, you could have at least talked to me about this. I was working on the Goodra analysis beforehand and the thing is I never once said I was going to resign the Goodra analysis. All I see as evidence is that you asked in the reservations thread if you could take this thing over and no one seemed to have approved, unless you can give me visible source from irc or PM chat or something.

The analysis was, moreover, idle mainly because no one from the QC team even bothered to look at the Goodra analysis in question and suggest changes. If you wanted to see the analysis get changed and updated and vice versa, you could have just posted in my thread what changes you want to see made, and right, I would have implemented them, then said "Okay, I implemented the changes, I am now waiting for QC checks.". Just taking this analysis from me without my authorization seems extremely wrong to me, especially when I did not say ever that I planned to resign the Goodra analysis.

I personally wanted to continue working on the Goodra analysis, but the point of this post is that the action of making this thread seems extremely wrong to me, especially since I was never told of this.
I spoke to the QC team, including a mod, you were idle for over a month and a half after your initial QC check. I hope I don't sound like too much of an ass by saying this, but I've done 11 analyses in the two months since you posted this and disappeared. It's absolutely your responsibility to stay on top of your own analyses, either by staying in touch with the QC team or by notifying them via thread bumping that it is ready for a QC check, which I see no evidence of.

You did not respond to any of the suggestions that were made to your analysis, man. I think the situation is fairly self explanatory.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 68 HP / 4 Def Goodra: 242-286 (71.5 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

On CB I'm not sue you should be out speeding honch when Sucker Punch still does this much. I mean it KOes from 70% so it would probably be more efficient to invest more in bulk and leave honch to a teammate

I'd recommend just changing the Swampert and mega Blastoise to team options and away from usage tips.

On the topic of usage tips, I would say add to try to bring it in off a u turn or volt switch if possible. Its kind of a given but its always nice to add :)

Not that's its that important but you say Assault Vest can take any non super effective attack but I'm pretty sure it can take a LO draco meteor from Hydreigon

Add Heracross to physical attackers in c&c

I know this is in early stages but these are just a few quick things. I'd go more in depth but its like 10 o clock lol

Hitting that speed is less about actually outspeeding Honchkrow and more about keeping up with the wide range of Pokemon that hit that speed tier. Examples are Tentacruel, Arcanine, offensive Suicune, some Nidoqueen, even some Heracross. However, a bulkier spread should at least be suggested in Set Details (maybe outspeed neutral bsae 85s). The spread for Specs should be the same as the spread for CB.

Suicune is an amazing partner for CB, especially Tailwind variants :]. Don't forget to actually mention CB in Set Details.

AV should have Dragon Tail as the first slash in that last slot, followed by Tbolt.

"Toxic Stall" in C&C should just be Status (fuck Scald). I'll look over this more closely once you're finished with Specs.

I spoke to the QC team, including a mod, you were idle for over a month and a half after your initial QC check. I hope I don't sound like too much of an ass by saying this, but I've done 11 analyses in the two months since you posted this and disappeared. It's absolutely your responsibility to stay on top of your own analyses, either by staying in touch with the QC team or by notifying them via thread bumping that it is ready for a QC check, which I see no evidence of.

You did not respond to any of the suggestions that were made to your analysis, man. I think the situation is fairly self explanatory.
It's still not OK to do it like this, man. I've been doing the same thing over and over, which was posting in the thread and giving the writer 48 hours to show some progress. I don't really know what was the rush for you to not wait until Scrafty posted, since after it's been a month, two days means shitall. I don't even care if you talked to the whole QC team and everyone on Senior Staff, precedent dictates a 48-hour notice and that's how things are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)