np: UU Stage 2 - Uptown Funk You Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually a little offensive pressure is enough to check hera and haxorus. Scarf hydreigon is a fantastic check to both of them by easily RK. But, straight up countering is hard since +2 can easily take out even dedicated walls for both mons. But, they have to set up and thats where you usually run into problems. Full stall cant stop them from setting up, so their only amswer is to tank the hit and roar or check with a fairy.

Semi stall is definitely viable in the current meta. Some stalliness with wallbreakers. I ran semi stall on my latest dark horse team (granbull, crobat, umbreon, pangoro, seismitoad and cresselia). My original team was too passive and couldnt do much to the opponent, but once i added CB Pangoro and SubCM Cress, it gave it enough oomf to finally work.

SD Hax is way easier to deal with than SD Hera imo, and there's loads of reasons why it's far less popular. Hax relies completely on outrage to get past walls it cant hit super effectively with coverage- and every stall team out there is pretty much guaranteed to have a fairy. So really, if you have something like Gourgeist-XL or Hippo or Cune along with a fairy, SD Hax can only get like 1 kill at most, because the moment it clicks outrage is the moment it gets revenged. Hera doesn't have this issue because it has hugely powerful STABs that don't lock it in. Then there's other stuff such as Hera's practical immunity to status and burns and decent defensive typing and bulk that means it can safely set up on bulky waters and foul play users, and also its better STABs in general.

And finally, Mega Aero is really not one of the best switchins to Heracross when you need literally 252hp/252+def to not be 1hko'd by band close combat after rocks. The only mon that is kind of a switchin to both the band and orb sets is crobat, and it still struggles with both considering band stone edge and facade once the orb has activated.

I agree about stall teams always looking pretty though! All those nice pastel pinks and blues with white and grey.

Has anyone tried special Salamence yet? Because holy shit it is doing work for me. Not as viscerally terrifying as Scarfmence or DD Mence, but the number of 248/252+ Arcanines that have gotten the Intimidate off and just sat there with a dumb look on their face only to get OHKO'd by 252 LO Hydro Pump would shock and amaze you. As well as Forretresses that switch in and get hit by Draco or Hydro Pump and don't switch out of the incoming Fire Blast. More importantly, the only status you're REALLY scared of anymore is paralysis. Not being so goddamn scared of burns is amazing, you can actually switch in on bulky waters now. I haven't been able to do that with a Dragon since Gen IV. It really is an incredible wallbreaker.

I think my official favorite Pokemon of Gen VI is now Tyrantrum. Holy shit, Tyrantrum. I've only used the Rock Polish set so far (but I'm really considering trying a Choice Band set soon) and Jesus Christ it does horrible things to innocent people and I love it. I made the switch to Jolly after getting revenged by an Infernape at +2 and I haven't noticed the difference. LO Head Smash still 2HKOs Suicune after Rocks, and that's the benchmark I'm sticking to. The best part is that Tyrantrum just doesn't give the tiniest fuck about Crobat, who has gotten really annoying lately. I've had a hundred different problems since I started using Tyrantrum (I really wish people would play less intelligently with Sash Alakazam, I had to fucking start running Pursuit Maero for that), but Crobat has not been among them.

Special Salamence and Tyrantrum have been huge together. Basically, the only things that actually bother Tyrantrum after it's boosted are things that resist Head Smash like Donphan, Doublade, and Cobalion, and I've swept with Tyrantrum multiple times after Salamence gets rid of them.

Not being so goddamn scared of burns is amazing, you can actually switch in on bulky waters now. I haven't been able to do that with a Dragon since Gen IV. It really is an incredible wallbreaker.
So, you've never used Hydreigon before? :-)

Do you guys think that Salamence will replace Hydreigon in the long run? Intimidate, DD and overall better offensive stats (135/110/100 vs. 105/125/98) do give Salamence a real edge over Hydre. Dark typing is a mixed bag; immune to psychic, resists ghost and dark, but is weak is fighting and bug. On the other hand, you have Salemence who resists Fighting and Bug, but is now weaker to ice (not too common outside of Abomasnow, Froslass and Donphan) and rock (Tyrantrum, M-Aero, Scarf Shao/Hera/Ape, etc..). Both have ways around fairies in Iron Tail and Flash Cannon (the latter being more viable IMO since it pops defensive fairies like Aromatisse and Granbull much harder).

The one thing Hydre has going for it is U-Turn and not SR weak. Very interesting overall. Could Hydre fall into the depths of UU????

Hey man, I tried using Hydreigon. Before we switched our Pokedex, I even wrote his Summary. But he doesn't have the movepool nor the stat spread to pull off a physical set to the same effect Salamence pulls off his special set. People switch IN their special walls against Hydreigon, not out like they do Salamence.

EDIT: Iron Tail (and Iron Head on Kyurem) has been more successful for me 100% of the time. Florges is still overwhelmingly the most popular Fairy and Specs Hydreigon's Flash Cannon barely 2HKOs it. Iron Tail off Salamence's great base 135 Attack is far and away the superior option. Granbull also HAS to switch since he relies so heavily on Intimidate. His physical bulk is not enough to stand on its own, and that's a fact I KNOW is overlooked way more often than it should be. Therefore, you can switch in on Granbull and scare it away with Iron Tail.

Last edited:
Hey man, I tried using Hydreigon. Before we switched our Pokedex, I even wrote his Summary. But he doesn't have the movepool nor the stat spread to pull off a physical set to the same effect Salamence pulls off his special set. People switch IN their special walls against Hydreigon, not out like they do Salamence.

EDIT: Iron Tail (and Iron Head on Kyurem) has been more successful for me 100% of the time. Florges is still overwhelmingly the most popular Fairy and Specs Hydreigon's Flash Cannon barely 2HKOs it. Iron Tail off Salamence's great base 135 Attack is far and away the superior option. Granbull also HAS to switch since he relies so heavily on Intimidate. His physical bulk is not enough to stand on its own, and that's a fact I KNOW is overlooked way more often than it should be. Therefore, you can switch in on Granbull and scare it away with Iron Tail.
I was only busting your chops about Hydre... :-P

But seriously though, both Hydre and Mence have great movepools with most of them even overlapping (Outrage, D-Meteor, Iron Tail/Flash Cannon, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump/Surf). Hydre can still run Superpower to beat Blissey, Umbreon and Snorlax, all of which are normal switch ins to Hydre.

Both are effective wallbreakers with similar capabilities. Both can handle their normal checks, it just comes down to what your team is needing. If you have a solid psychic/ghost check, then Mence will be a fantastic option. But, one thing for bulky waters, which does make a difference...

4 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 288-340 (87 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 130-154 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You trade in the x4 fairy weakness for a x4 ice, albeit less common. Mence is definitely more threatening IMO than Hydre. They both have similar checks, but the power difference is quite noticeable. Mence can give you more bang for your buck very quickly than Hydre, but that doesn't mean Hydre is garbo now. Both have their advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)