Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Another suspect test? What is smogon's obsession with tier shifts and banning Pokemon from tiers?
The Metagame is not just about the Pokemon themselves it's also about the people who play them. Everybody involved, be it the heads or the community as a whole, are constantly learning what is viable or even good for the overall meta. Add to that the is the game changing all the time due to any additions from Gamefreak, as a result everything can and normally does go into a little bit of chaos and needs corrected.

When something new is introduced, like say a new mega form, it'll tend to rise in usage due to popularity and curiosity and take the place of previous things (why Mega Pinsir dropped). Then if it turns out the new thing was good it stays up (like Keldeo) or if later discovered not as desirable it drops (Donphan) and sometimes something too good is added or dropped and needs kicked out (like Blaziken).

People change and learn all the time and so does this game and it needs adjusting every now and then.

This is not just an element of Smogon it's an element in all competitive gaming because the goal is "To achieve the most balanced game as possible." Is it perfect, no. But it's the best we have so far. And at least it isn't as bad as how Yu-Gi-Oh handles itself.

What is it that makes Meloetta so good in RU? By extension, do any viable sets run Relic Song at all? (<<< cancer question right here)
Meloetta has a lot of versatility(5 viable sets off the top of my head: subcm, specs, scarf, relic song, spd, av maybe??). It's pretty strong and has some really solid special bulk for an offensive Pokemon. Hits a pretty important speed tier(90) as well.

i know arikado is going to like this post

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Return
- Knock Off

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Did Gligar raise to UU becasue of usage in that tier or because of a suspect test??
Just another thing I thought I'd add, to keep in mind in the future, if a Pokemon moved from, say, RU to BL2, then it rose due to a suspect test or quickban. If a Pokemon moved from RU to UU, it rose due to tier shifts.

Is offensive Sigilyph any good right about now (factoring out Pangoro and Moltres)?
Also, Tinted Lens, or Life Orb + Magic Guard?
Or would Scarf or Specs be better for him?
What sort of 'mons would make good teammates for him?

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Is offensive Sigilyph any good right about now (factoring out Pangoro and Moltres)?
Also, Tinted Lens, or Life Orb + Magic Guard?
Or would Scarf or Specs be better for him?
What sort of 'mons would make good teammates for him?
It's fine with both in the tier and will probably be fine without them.

LO + Magic Guard (Roost 3 attacks) is probably the best to take advantage of it's decent bulk, unique and fast speed, interesting ability, and ease of switching into common stall mons. It has good enough coverage that Tinted Lens ends up mostly useless, as well. Picking your three attacks out of your wide range of options can be hard, though. (Psychic/Psyshock, Air Slash, Heat Wave, Energy Ball, Ice Beam, Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball, all stand out as very interesting options). Most sets will probably settle on Air Slash or Psyshock/Heat Wave/Energy Ball but if you REALLY need to hit a specific mon, you have the option.

Would it still be worth using Strong Jaw on certain D-dance sets for Tyrantrum, or is Head Smash just that ridiculously good to give up?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would it still be worth using Strong Jaw on certain D-dance sets for Tyrantrum, or is Head Smash just that ridiculously good to give up?
Recoil-less Head Smash is wayyyy too good to give up. No point in running the fangs, you hit everything hard enough with dual stabs and superpower.

What makes Electivire so bad to be D-rank when it was in RU?
It is weak all around and is not able to OHKO offensive Pokemon nor to wallbreak and doesnt offer anything over other Electric-types who all have better coverage, bulk, or speed tier. Especially in a tier in which Pokemon such as Rhyperior rampant there is really zero reason to use it.

Not sure where to put this, so I am sorry if I am asking this in the wrong place. Trying to get into RU since I am sort of bored playing OU. Been trying to make a good team. The problems I have run into is I don't know a good rock setter to use that would support my team. This is what I have so far..

Rotom C (Levitate)
Choice scarf
Timid nature (252 speed, 252 special attack, 4 HP)
Volt switch, Thunderbolt, Leaf storm and trick

Feraligatr (sheer force)
Life orb
Jolly nature (max attack, max speed, 4 DEF)
waterfall, crunch, ice punch and Dragon dance

Medicham (pure power)
choice band
Jolly nature (252 speed, 252 attack, 4 HP)
zen headbutt, Drain Punch, Thunder Punch, trick

Bronzong (Levitate)
Leftovers
Impish nature (252 HP, 252 def, 4 special defense)
Gyro ball, toxic, stealth rock, protect

Camerupt (anger point)
Cameruptite
Calm Nature (248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe)
Flamethrower, Earth Power, Flash Cannon, and rock polish)

Skuntank (aftermath)
Black sludge
adamant nature (16 HP, 228 ATK, 252 SPD, 12 Speed)
Sucker Punch, Poison Jab, defog, and taunt

I am out of my element in RU so I am not quite sure how to improve this team. Not really feeling Bronzong, tbh. Any recommendations or possible fixes?

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
One way you could possibly go about this is run Stealth Rock > Rock Polish on Mega camerupt considering the amount of switches it forces, allowing for opportunities to get up your rocks. Can't really think of any sr Mons rn so yeah...

What are some decent options to stand up to choice specs Exploud? It hits very hard with a base 140 STAB move. I could run steel types but they pack flamethrower/fire blast/ focus blast to hit it. Either way something will take a heavy hit from it unless I can KO it in one hit.

True, I don't really find myself using rock polish much. It's pretty moot when the opponent has a slowking to threaten you with.

Would I need another special attacker on the team? So far I have rotom c and Mega Camerupt. If I put rocks up, i could swap Bronzong out for a special attacker, but are there any that have good physical bulk that wouldn't give me more glaring weaknesses?

Exploud really isn't that super relevant in the current meta to actively find a way to take him on. You have Revenge Killers for him, and honestly speaking a 1 for 1 is usually the best Exploud does. Which isn't really that superb.

Why is Qwilfish ranked so high? It can hazard stack. Cool. It has intimidate to survive more hits. Neat.

But what else is it bringing to the table? 85 speed isn't anything to be feared and 95 attack is downright laughable in RU.

Why is Qwilfish ranked so high? It can hazard stack. Cool. It has intimidate to survive more hits. Neat.

But what else is it bringing to the table? 85 speed isn't anything to be feared and 95 attack is downright laughable in RU.
What you already mentioned gives it a pretty good ranking, no need to emphasize its cons when you have those other good pros. Also dont forget its typing.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With many monstrous physical threats running around, Qwilfish manage to be pretty efficient thanks to its typing, decent bulk, intimidate and having both spikes and toxic spikes at its disposal making Qwilfish into a really good mon at the moment. It is also a pretty neat pivot and fighting type check, which it is pretty important now that moltres is gone if you ask me.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also with Gligar leaving the tier hazard spam became much more viable and that's primarily the reason Qwilfish became better than it was before. It's harder to remove hazards because Gligar was that good at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)