Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What are some good ways to deal with kyurem-B on balanced ? .-.
The scarfed set has some reliable switchins such as Jirachi, Mega Scizor, Clefable and Sylveon, though they lose versus the right coverage (Iron Head, HP Fire)
LO sets have very limited switchins on balance (SpDef Jirachi is probably the best on balance) but because of the average speed and a bad defensive typing, it is not hard to keep pressure on it or revenge kill it.

How did landorus I become so good? I didn't see anyone crying for a suspect when the thread came up to see what we suspect, and suddenly, everyone's like "OMG this thing defines the meta S+" Why is it suddenly such a threatening force all of a sudden?

Lando Incarnate has always been a terrible threat to be honest.
What bailed him out in the past was the opportunity cost (you don't get the best scarfer in the tier if you use him) since this SPL however, Landorus-Therian's winrate has been a bit low, this convinced players to not always slap Lan Therian on every team and to try out a bit more the Incarnate counterpart.
Add this the rise of HP Ice, and you find a wallbreaker able to break common balanced cores such as Gliscor+ Ferro+Slowbro

I am aware of many of the resources used for where to find what pokemon, and I'm aware of EV and IV values, and how to affect them. I've been playing pokemon off and on for a while, once dabbling lightly into competitive.

What I want to know, is what resources are there for getting into the metagame? I'm wanting to get started building my own team but I don't really know where to begin.

Also, is it recommended that I get a copy of OR or AS? Among recent games I only have copies of Y and Black1.

I am RNG'ing a Suicune in Soul Silver, but I need help deciding on a spread. I've narrowed it down to a few potential ones:

30/0/30/31/31/30 HP Electric Bold

31/1/30/30/31/31 HP Grass Bold

31/0/31/30/30/31 HP Ground Bold

The RNG forbids 31/0/31/31/31/31 with a Bold nature :( Since I have to take at least a couple 30's, I figured I might as well get a decent Hidden Power, however I still can't decide.

p2

Banned deucer.
I am RNG'ing a Suicune in Soul Silver, but I need help deciding on a spread. I've narrowed it down to a few potential ones:

The RNG forbids 31/0/31/31/31/31 with a Bold nature :( Since I have to take at least a couple 30's, I figured I might as well get a decent Hidden Power, however I still can't decide.
Not like Suicune is going to run Hidden Power anyway, but I'd go with the HP Grass one

Is there any way in which Tough Claws is not a strict upgrade to Iron Fist and Strong Jaw?
In a vacuum, not really. I'm pretty sure every move buffed by both Iron Fist and Strong Jaw is a contact move, so anything buffed by these two abilities would receive a Tough Claws boost. However, there is no Pokemon that has both Tough Claws and either Iron Fist or Strong Jaw, so it's a moot point.

Any second opinions on this?

Take either Grass or Ground. At the end of the day you won't notice the difference in bulk between the three, but the Speed IV is particularly important. I would say HP Ground just because you can buff the Special Defense, but I really don't think it will matter much.

HP Electric if hitting SDef Gyara (or Mantine in some kind of lower tier) is more important. HP Grass if hitting Storm Drain Gastro is important. Depends on your team really. Make sure you compensate with an extra 4 EVs in speed if you go with Electric.

Sanger Zonvolt It's OK to use a speed lowering Hidden Power if you remember to compensate appropriately. 4 to 8 EVs in HP don't mean much and can easily be moved to Speed.

Something I've been wondering.

I recall reading that Arceus cannot have its Plate removed by Knock Off. Is this trait a product of the Plate itself or Multitype's function? Ergo, could the plate be Knocked Off a different mon holding it?

Something I've been wondering.

I recall reading that Arceus cannot have its Plate removed by Knock Off. Is this trait a product of the Plate itself or Multitype's function? Ergo, could the plate be Knocked Off a different mon holding it?
It is a trait of multitype. If say manaphy is holding a splash plate, it can be removed by knock off.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Double posting, but this is SQSA so whatevs. I've been playing around with a Celebi spread and came up with this:

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 108 Spe
Bold Nature

That's EVed with max HP, enough speed to BP out of Bisharp, enough defense to beat Mega Lopunny with Rocks on the field, and the rest thrown into Special Defense. Any tips on improving it?
could you show the team that you're using it with so that we know what you need from celebi?

I am aware of many of the resources used for where to find what pokemon, and I'm aware of EV and IV values, and how to affect them. I've been playing pokemon off and on for a while, once dabbling lightly into competitive.

What I want to know, is what resources are there for getting into the metagame? I'm wanting to get started building my own team but I don't really know where to begin.

Also, is it recommended that I get a copy of OR or AS? Among recent games I only have copies of Y and Black1.
Re-asking this one, hasn't been answered yet.

There are quite a few. Here are the most used ones
OU Viability rankings : Helps to show which mons are viable and which ones are not
OU Role Compendium: Gives a good visual on which mons fulfill certain roles
OU Teambuilding Guide: Gives common sets of mons used in OU. Sets are organized by the role the set performs

EDIT: for which game, if you are interesting in cartridge play, getting OR will let you get Primal Groudon if you ever play Ubers-like formats via cartridge play. Otherwise thanks to the GTS which version you get is not super important. Most of us use the simulator anyway.

As far as the Cart, the only thing to consider is probably the mascot legendaries, since both games have the same breeding and item resources available.

Primal Groudon is considered the superior mascot legend in Ubers, but if I remember, AS gets Thundurus and Eon Ticket Latios (which is easier to SR for good stats than the plot one), which are the more relevant OU legendaries.

Ok, if I used shell smash on a sash smeargle, and baton pass into a pokemon with white herb. Will the white herb activate for the receiver on switch.. or does white herb only work on the sender at the time the stat drop happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)