Unpopular opinions

The Megas aren't really comparable from a competitive perspective. Their viability is dependent on the format you're playing and they have completely different roles; one is a dangerous sweeper (Singles and maybe Doubles?) while the other is a powerful Wallbreaker (Singles) or Spread attacker (Doubles). Because of this the general opinion of which one is the "better" one is based on the format. Not dissing your opinion or anything, just thought that needed to be said.
TL;DR they are comparable.

They are comparable, they don't fill the same role on a team, but they are definitely comparable. From a competitive standpoint, they can not be compared in the same role (who is the better sweeper for example) but they are comparable in general. They does not fit on the same team-structure, but it is definitely possible to compare them in categories such as team support, momentum cost, usefulness against the most commonly used pokemon, checks, counters etc. etc. In singles, if every team caries 2-3 pokemon that could take advantage of Zard X (or visa versa) while Zard Y gets a free kill every time it comes in, you could definitely say Y is better. In doubles, is every team had flash fire abusers, while being very weak to physical dragon moves, you could say Zard X was better there. On a side note, I don't think Pikachu315111 was even trying to compare them from a competitive stand point.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
TL;DR they are comparable.

They are comparable, they don't fill the same role on a team, but they are definitely comparable. From a competitive standpoint, they can not be compared in the same role (who is the better sweeper for example) but they are comparable in general. They does not fit on the same team-structure, but it is definitely possible to compare them in categories such as team support, momentum cost, usefulness against the most commonly used pokemon, checks, counters etc. etc. In singles, if every team caries 2-3 pokemon that could take advantage of Zard X (or visa versa) while Zard Y gets a free kill every time it comes in, you could definitely say Y is better. In doubles, is every team had flash fire abusers, while being very weak to physical dragon moves, you could say Zard X was better there. On a side note, I don't think Pikachu315111 was even trying to compare them from a competitive stand point.
My (poorly explained) point is that the perception of which one people think is better is skewed by which meta they play and their preferred playstyle, so it's more of biased opinion split situation than one clearly being considered better than the other in terms of viability. Also, he did compare them competitively since most of his points were about Zard Y's battling prowess.

I recently realized that people (myself included) might be missing the point of this thread. By "Unpopular" opinion I believe the OP meant things that people would question you about since it's a disliked opinion (i.e. Misty not being a memorable character, someone finding Whitney to not be hard, liking the designs of Pokemon that most others find downright ugly or uninspired, etc.), not an opinion that isn't the most popular. There's obviously some overlap like with anything concerning Charizard's design, but otherwise stuff like "I like Charizard Y more" or "a starter that isn't hated but isn't popular either is my favorite" doesn't seem to qualify to me.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kurona :
Fair point, if you haven't seen already I'm a person who gets into game mechanics before criticizing about what it has to offer. Though the question comes to how Pokemon can be more "visual" when the next generation comes. Gen VI made the 3D jump with a bit of a stylized graphics that looks like will be now the standard, so when Gen VII comes they won't have it being in 3D to fall back on as it would be an established thing. Now they could go with a different graphic style or make it look more "realistic" sort of like Battle Revolutions (I wouldn't actually mind if the overworld models were like the in-battle models, I don't think it would be too much for the 3DS to handle, especially the New 3DS which is getting Xenoblade ported onto it).

Yeah, while I try to love all Fire-types equally, Typhlosion is one of the least notable ones. Design-wise it does look like a blob with fire around it neck (when it does have fire). Cyndaquil can get away with it because it looks cute, by Typhlosion doesn't have that excuse. Also it has the same stats as Charizard even though it kind of looks more like a Physical Pokemon. I'm kind of hoping if it does get a Mega Evolution they make it a more Physical fighter (and gives it moves to match).

Charizard Joke:
Guys, I was joking about the Charizard jealousy thing. :P While Charizard is my favorite Pokemon, I can admit it's not the perfect Pokemon and it has some major problems (stupid Stealth Rocks).

Karxrida :
This also includes WideTomato. While I wasn't just only talking about competitive, I did mention it. Maybe it's best if I split my thoughts up into categories:

Popularity: This is actually my main problem with MCX. In Pokemon Origins it was the featured Mega Charizard, in the Mega Evolution Special it's Alain's main Pokemon, many websites that list playsets will often list MCX first and have more playsets for it before getting to MCY. People just seem to enamored by MCX that it feels like MCY is pushed aside because it didn't get the Dragon-type retyping.
Design: And that's ashame, because I also think MCY has the better design. It looks (and has the stats) of what I'd think a evolved form or Charizard would have. MCX is just a black Charizard with spikes, ragged wings, and blue flames who also prefers a more physical style of battling.
Competitive: And that's when we come here. As I said with popularity, many sites have more playsets for MCX than MCY. Now I can see why, it technically can act like a mixed attacker (though Tough Claws more push it to being physical) and its Dragon-typing does open up more opportunities. Still, MCY has the raw power and even a bit of type coverage (sneaky pebbles not withstanding) though many playsets just like have it use as a wallbreaker or a sun summoner for Double Battles (which aren't bad roles and it definitely can perform them well, but it seems like more people want to try MCX out more than MCY).

All I'm saying is that in the end they're both Charizards. Yeah MCX is cool having the Dragon-type, but MCY has plenty of positives to it too that many are more willing to dust off their shoulder since it's just a more powerful Charizard... which is pretty powerful sans tip-toeing rubble.

Yeah, I did get a bit sidetracked by the Charizard thing since MCY isn't hated, just ignored. However I think my opinion about people ignoring Gen V but wanting Gen VI is a legitimate unpopular opinion.

I like Gen 1... for the glitches. I mean, I'd rate it up there with Sonic 3 & Knuckles when it comes to glitches.

HGSS is my favourite game in terms of content, but Gen 5 is my favourite gen, mainly because it had a pretty decent story, it wasn't too hard or too easy, except for Ghetsis' Ubers tier Hydreigon, as well as being the gen where I entered competitive full-time.

I like Gen 1... for the glitches. I mean, I'd rate it up there with Sonic 3 & Knuckles when it comes to glitches.

HGSS is my favourite game in terms of content, but Gen 5 is my favourite gen, mainly because it had a pretty decent story, it wasn't too hard or too easy, except for Ghetsis' Ubers tier Hydreigon, as well as being the gen where I entered competitive full-time.
That hydreygon bane of hard mode nuzlocke challenges... Seriously such a beast. Way worse than PT Cyrus.

I got a sense of Trailer Drake seeing the thread title--"Unpopular Pokémon Opinions!"
Also, I gotta say that as I was evaluating my personal Pokémon opinions, I realized that many of them fit better with "lacks discussion" and "relatively unnoticed" than "unpopular."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm with those that never felt the hurt delivered by Whitney's Miltank. Which side is less popular these days, I cannot tell.

Many viewers of the Pokémon anime analyze too much into the characters and the overarching plot development (or lack thereof), and that's why they're always set up for disappointment when filler episodes appear. While many filler episodes aren't gonna be ones that I myself would return to, at least they satisfied my viewing pleasure the first time. The anime is chock full of references, callbacks, and worldbuilding in general, so that's where my interests and expectations are set when there's no action on screen.

That being said, all of the anime was good for me. I could definitely rank my favorite regions/movie/spinoff shows (Mystery Dungeon episodes, for one), but I wouldn't be able to say any of them were bad--lacking, maybe, but not bad.

The commentators/announcers of Stadium 1 & 2 and Battle Revolution are great. Their redundant chatter was a part of their charm. For me, it got to the point where I'd try to predict which line the announcer would say next!

The pre-Pokémon Colosseum me: Eevee did not appeal to me, so it had puzzled me that it and its evolved forms were some of Pokémon's all-time fan favorites. Jolteon was the only one of the Eevee family that I liked. I think it had to do with starting with Yellow Version and seeing that unlikable rival start with Eevee. Luckily, the Gen 3 lineup of games made Eevee and family much more appealing, starting with Espeon and Umbreon in Colosseum.

The commentators/announcers of Stadium 1 & 2 and Battle Revolution are great. Their redundant chatter was a part of their charm. For me, it got to the point where I'd try to predict which line the announcer would say next!
Wait, there are people who DON'T like the announcer from Stadium and Stadium 2? Why? He's why I want Pokémon Stadium XY or whatever it would be called for Wii U (well that and the Wi-Fi battle background sucks).
I mean, "It's a one-hit wonder!"
Also, the Battle Revolution guy was okay. No amount of anime nostalgia can trump N64 nostalgia (Rodger Parsons, who was the announcer in Battle Revolution, also the the narrator for the anime).

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
1st Page Comments:

NOTE 1: I'll try not to repeat thoughts so I may actually address something someone else said later on.
NOTE 2: Isn't it a bit odd Liking comments in a thread about unpopular opinions? :P

Karxrida :
Tracey Hate: Yeah, never understood the Tracey hate either. Sad to see Brock go but if Brock was going to leave the group it probably was going to be because of a girl (bonus points he could use his breeding knowledge to help in the lab). I'm guessing because he was the first replacement? Who knows, maybe Tracey taking the bullet for being first allowed May to be accepted a bit better when she replaced Misty?
Whitney: I too was surprised when I heard people say Whitney was hard. I never had a problem when I faced her (though this was back in the day when I usually let my starter absorb a lot of the experience so it was probably higher level than her's). But with that said, being she sends out a Clefairy first if need be you can just buy some X Attack/Special and power up your Pokemon on it (if your Pokemon loses to her Clefairy I don't think Whitney is the problem). But yeah, generally having a higher level always did it for me.
3rd Movie: Not to mention it has one of the best Charizard fights. :P
Pokemon Designs: Honestly I generally take each Pokemon design on its own merits and rarely found a design I don't dislike. Honestly when the do make an odd Pokemon and somehow make its design work that's pretty impressive (bonus points if it's given usable stats, Ability, and moveset). Also anyone who says the new Pokemon designs are worse or getting worse needs to take off those rose-tinted glasses and accept the games have moved on.
Sprites Vs. Models: Agree. Sprites feel like they have a timelessness to them since they're essentially a drawing. Also each game gave us new sprites and sometimes they "drew" the Pokemon in an interesting/dynamic pose. Also I feel like 3D models being reserved for console games helped them stand out since they could make top quality models due to the systems being more powerful then a handheld.

ScraftyIsTheBest :
Misty: I think the best companion was either May or Dawn since they actually HAD something to do. While I like Misty, she did have nothing to do. And while let's keep in mind Pokemon isn't a romance series, I do feel Misty had just as strong a relationship/friendship with Ash as any other character. She wasn't afraid to criticize Ash and give him advice but also showed him support when it was appropriate. May and Dawn were new trainers so it felt like Ash should have been giving advice to them, Iris was too mocking of Ash often calling him a kid just to tease him, and Serena I feel is too accepting of a lot of Ash's actions since she had a blind crush on him. Now let's end this here with me saying I can see the other side's points, this is just my personal opinion and if this was anything like real life Ash probably wouldn't end up with either of them (remember, they're all TEN). :P
Cross-Gen Evolutions: And I kind of hoped they kept with giving older gen Pokemon evolutions. I guess they still can, but GameFreak seems now content just giving them a Mega Evolution and call it a day. :(
Gen Overrated: I'd also add Gen II to that list. Honesty all gens have their pros and cons and saying one is better then another is very opinionated to start with.
Ash Respect: While I do make fun of Ash being dump, I've always said he's a capable character and its more the writers just not knowing what to do with him. The DP saga was the best for him that in order to knock him out of the League they needed to send in a guy who used LEGENDARIES! BW saga the writers just threw their hands up in the air though XY it does seem like they got a bit better (though him still losing to the first Gym was a bit BS, him losing should be an important event and I'd rather they waited for them to do it on the Fairy-type Gym to show he needs to learn about the Fairy-types in order to beat them).
BW Talk: Are you talking about the games or the anime? For the games that was going to happen since it was more story-focused... though at least they let you save before important battles (Steven would you shut up for a second and let me save before battling the Eon Pokemon!). For the anime, I feel it was no more talky then it usually is.
Brock the Rock: It was nice having a recurring character for as long as Brock was around, especially when they did focus on him a bit. Since DP had the Lake Guardians sort of "choose" the main characters it was nice having him get a bit involved since the writers had no idea what to do with him. And Croagunk was indeed awesome, especially when it battled Paul's Torterra and Saturn's Toxicroak (and at one point it Gomu Gomu Pistoled a Mismagius). It even had genuine funny moments, two that stand out when it once only needed to start-up a Poison Jab to have Brock stop flirting with a COTD girl and it acted like a Politoed no matter what happened (even during a Team Rocket attack) and won a Pokemon Cosplay Contest because of it!
Magma/Aqua: I'd say the concept of two warring villain teams is an interesting one, but don't feel they were the best. Definitely more lively groups then say Galactic or Plasma, but I felt they were a bit too silly. The reasons they want to expand the land and sea is a bit ridiculous if you think about it, something they even realize at the end.

Vader_the_White :
Zubat: I do like the Zubat family (fun fact, do you know it's still the only Poison/Flying-type Pokemon?), but it's still annoying that in a cave almost every step I get swarmed by Zubat if I don't use repel (I already caught one of you, I don't need another unless you're Shiny).
Gardevoir: Yeah, I do kind it odd how Pokemon like Gardevoir and Lopunny are treated like fetish symbols (though Lopunny had it coming being based off a Playboy bunny). Also Gardevoir isn't in the Human Egg Group and considering what Pokemon DID make it into the Human Egg Group that's even a bit more disturbing. Oh, and it can also be male... I wonder *looks up "Male Gardevoir" and prepares to cringe...* Huh, not as bad as I thought, many are just funny images of a "guy wearing a dress" or a Gardevoir angrily yelling its male. But there are some ones worthy of brain bleach so rule 34 wins again.

Sanger Zonvolt :
Mawaifu: Wait, MAWILE? Why, because it's wearing a dress now? Also can we please drop the phrase "waifu", it was only funny the... actually I never found it funny.
Go Rocket: That is one major positive Rocket has against other villains, they had simple and even realistic goals. Make money by doing big crimes. After Team Rocket all the villains had plans for world domination that they feel a bit cartoonish, but Team Rocket were just thieves who decided to own it.
Mega Starter: I'm sure in due time all the starters will have Mega Evolutions, wouldn't be surprised if XY2 released Mega Evolutions for another group of starters (though if I had a choice I'd actually give it to the Gen VI starters, however next gen definitely the Johto starters (next gen starters can wait or their 3rd game/2nd pair games for their Mega Evolutions)).

Codraroll :
Evil Teams: As I said in my post in the thread "Pokemon Core Series Renovations" I wouldn't mind seeing another kind of antagonistic force. That said, I also wouldn't mind if they tried to experiment with the evil team idea, mainly with the order of leadership.

Kamitsure :
All The Same: Oddly I think that is one of Pokemon strong points if they decide to experiment with the idea. While it is the same premise over and over again, its such a basic premise I think it does give them enough room to twist and shape it into interesting stories and gameplay. It's familiar and simple enough for anyone to pick up but also different enough to feel fresh.
Anime Problems: I think one of the main problems with the anime is that they stuck to Ash being the main character. Once we got to Johto we should have gotten a new protagonist and likewise for each generation. Suck they didn't win? Yeah, but that just means they can cameo later and we can see they've grown stronger off screen. Also I think the writers REALLY need to dive into the Pokemon lore, they prefer to play it safe when we could be expanding on ideas presented by the Pokedex or lore behind a certain location of aspect of the game. But no, it's pretty much a kids show so almost every episode is about "friendship" and "not giving up". Yeah, yeah, whatever, just show us the colorful animals with elemental powers beating each other up. We don't need personal encouragement, we want to here and learn about an amazing fantasy world. It inspires kids to be creative and use their own imagination if you're worried about them not getting anything from it.

Celever :
Colosseum: I do hope that, even though the main series is now in 3D, they do make another Colosseum game in the future. It is pretty unique as it breaks the Pokemon formula yet still uses the same mechanics. I see it as proof that the Pokemon model can be experimented and work worth to make other interesting stories.

DHR-107 :
Most Evil: Out of all the villains I do find Cyrus and Lysandre the most terrifying as they were going to commit mass genocide no matter what. Giovanni just wanted money, Archie/Maxie thought they were helping, and Ghetsis was just going to rule the world with an iron fist (though he was more of a personal monster). However none of their plans didn't mean anyone had to die. Cyrus was going to reset the universe in his image (go play Xenoblade to see how that idea can play out) and Lysandre wanted to wipe the slate clean and start anew with a group of immortals. In other words Giovanni, Archie/Maxie, and Ghetsis probably wouldn't kill you, but Cyrus and Lysandre plan would!

Suspicious Derivative :
Kanto Reremake: I would also agree they wouldn't need to remake Kanto again... but the thing is that leaves a "gap" because they just HAD to do that stupid idea of splitting the timelines. We're now in the "Mega Timeline" where the only canon games are XY and ORAS. And while the stories in the other games occurred, they would have occurred differently now due to the presence of Mega Pokemon so their games are technically considered out of canon. *sigh*

Don Honchkrorleone :
Wally's Theme: My problem with Wally's theme that it never picks up and starts rocking out like you think it's going to do at any moment. It makes for a great encounter theme, but for battling I want something more fast paced and pumping. Take Zinnia's themes for example, her encounter theme and battle theme sound similar but her encounter is slower to help explain a bit about her character while her battle theme is faster and pumping out beats. Actually, why does Zinnia get two themes and Wally only get one? That's kind of unfair, especially since Wally is an original character. More proof that Zinnia is a Mary Sue...
Magma/Aqua Makeover: For me its a mixed bag. I like they gave them more backstory and the Magma outfits, but I hate what they did with the Aqua outfits and changing the designs for Tabitha and Shelly.
Shauntal: Shauntal, really? Well, okay, everyone has their fetish (not saying she isn't hot/cute, she just seems too introvert).
Idol Pikachu: Yeah, I actually find Pop Star Pikachu, May's Contest clothes, and Lisia to be a bit disturbing for how "kawai" they're trying to make them. And that's before I learned how Japan treat their young female pop idols... (if you're wondering they're basically treated like they're a dime a dozen, the pop idol industry isn't afraid to make one an idol one day and get rid of her the next).

Kurona :
PMD: PMD is once again a game I consider you play through for the story rather then the gameplay, PMD2 especially since it gets pretty dark at times.
Ranger: Ranger were fun games and I hope they make another. :) However what they did with locking a Deoxys behind multi-player is BS!

-NLMRY- :
Kalos Under 100: With Pokemon quickly heading to the big 1k I do like they're slowing down on new Pokemon. I just wish they would focus on balancing it a bit. I think it would be best to first design Pokemon that would be "part" of the story (starters, Legendaries, important character's Pokemon (Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Villains, etc.)) and then filling in the gaps with whatever is missing. Gen VI sort of felt like they did what they normally do but then cut the amount of Pokemon by a third giving us oddities like only two new Ground-types, one Legendary and another who's a evolved form (and both dual-types).
Light Type: I too hated the Light Type thing since it was a dumb argument. Why did people want Light-type? Because Dark-type... even though Dark-type is called EVIL-type in Japan and is based on the Pokemon fighting dirty then using the powers of DARKNESS. However they did sort of get their wish with Fairy-type as it is super effective against Dark-types and resist it.

I'll do page 2 tomorrow.

I actually like Charizard which seems to be an unpopular opnion these days. I still prefer Venusaur but Charizard is still good. Also I think generation 1 had the best designs. The simplicity of most of the Pokemon designs is just what I like about them and I have no idea why really. Also some of the generation 1 Pokemon seem to get too much hate. Like surely Voltorb and Electrode are just a bunch of Pokeballs but the idea of posessed Pokeballs being able to explode at any time sounds pretty cool to me. Also Grimer and Muk may be piles of purple weird stinky sludge but they still look funny and I guess Muk was usable in gen 2 OU so he has that going for him.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Fireburn :
Colosseum Difficulty: I imagine much of the difficulty comes from catching the Shadow Pokemon then the actual batting. ;)

Litra :
Cynthia: I think it might be because she was the first female Champion (who looks hot). Yeah, sometimes things are that shallow. Personally I like Cynthia as I do consider an interesting character but she is a bit distant. She feels like she knows more then she's letting on and the reason she didn't stop Cyrus is because she wants the player to get the experience (which, while a nice thought, being Cyrus is trying to end the world I wouldn't mind if you kind of stopped him. Ended up grinding anyway so in the long run it didn't matter).

Gokuzbu :
Mean NPCs: Wouldn't mind having the Gym Leaders/Elite Four have more personality to them. While I wouldn't have them be outright evil (unless they were part of the villain team, like Malva), I wouldn't mind seeing one who's a bit of a jerk, egotistic, absent-minded, irritable, etc.. Also would like the Gym Leaders/Elite Four more involved with the story like they were in Black & White.

Codraroll :
4 Year Knockout: Then again Deoxys is an alien who we saw have amazingly fast regeneration properties. I think had it been a com mon Rayquaza probably would have killed it. Of course it could also be possible that Rayquaza's Hyper Beam was only so strong because Deoxys was recovering from its attacks so easily so it needed to do more powerful blasts.
No Killing: I would agree for the most part, Pokemon have gone away from Pokemon being real animals who have predatory ones to Pokemon being quasi-intelligent to from their own societies which survive on Berries. A Pokemon doesn't need to kill to show its dominance, knocking out its opponent is a pretty clear sign its the strongest one. That said, I would say, like with humans, Pokemon still have the capability of killing, if not more so. I think naturally a Pokemon holds back (which is shown in the first Pokemon movie. In the scene where the originals are fighting their clone, in the original Japanese they still had access to their elemental powers, but the thing is they were intending on KILLING their clone/original so decided to just beat the ever living hell out of their other like real animals would), rarely would a Pokemon use their full strength for deadly purposes. As for Ash being turned to stone, while I'm obviously making up an excuse, I would say that's a result of Mewtwo's an Mew's energy orb attack probably burning up his life force so fast. Ash was dead and it was the Pokemon tears that brought him back (which BTW came out of no where in the Japanese version, the English version added some dialogue at the beginning of the movie about a myth which said that happened long ago to justify it). Oh, and Yveltal says hi (and other Pokemon with some disturbing Pokedex descriptions).
Not So Legendary: Yeah, it was a novel idea at the time though I would prefer they maybe go back to the idea you have to go look for them instead of being a forced encounter. You can still have them part of the story, just don't make them catchable (you could use the excuse their giving off so much power it can't be contained as it is, need to wait later for when it calmed down).
Timelines: I like the way they handled continuity before. It's implied the other games stories did happen, but you're never fully told what happened or how it went down. And even then they don't really talk about what happened in other regions but characters and locations from there. It tells you these places still exist making the Pokemon World feel big but not say anything specific as not to break the illusion that YOUR continuity didn't happen.

Xen :
Only New: I also liked the idea of Gen V mostly using new Pokemon, the new generation should always push the new Pokemon. That's one of my problems with XY, they don't really push the new Pokemon that much to the point that the Champion's main Pokemon is a Gen III Pokemon (sure you could consider Mega Gardevoir as a Gen III Pokemon, but it still starts out as a Gardevoir). Of course this itself presents a problem which I know is mentioned later so I'll discussed that then.
Jynx Basis: Bulbapedia's Origin of Species for Jynx mention one Japanese mythical creature called the Yama-Uba, is that the one? EDIT: Oh, you were thinking of the Yuki-Onna. Yeah, that's probably where it got its Ice-typing from.

tehy :
Hurt Looker: Well Gen VI seems to be doing a good job of kicking Looker while he's down. In XY we found out his Croagunk was killed before the events of the story. Then in the post game he adopts an orphan he feels like a father too only to then find out she was being used by the criminal he was after so had to make a plea bargain with another criminal to rescue her only to then have to leave her as he knows it's too risky to bring her along with him (not to mention he did get injured a few times, once even by Emma when she was under control by Essentia). Finally in ORAS we discover way before then he was lost at sea and got amnesia which we don't know if he ever recovered from. So, yeah, I think they did hurt him a bit.

And that's for Page 2. Next time is Page 3 and anything posts I didn't comment on after I made my post, and then I'll be caught up. :)

I find most competitively viable pokemon ugly and only use them because they're competitively viable.

However, I consider Registeel to be very cute. Listen to it when you feed it in Amie <3

Never liked Charizard. Didn't deserve two Megas.

Very biased here naturally, but I don't understand when people still say I, Flareon, have no moves. I have just about the same coverage as the others!

It's a little hard to say what is an unpopular opinion in this franchise, since you usually end up with a small sample of a huge population of fans from which to draw conclusions.

However like others I think dppt are a lot better than many people give them credit for, especially regarding cross-gen evos and team galactic, whom I considered fun though threatening. Well Cyrus at least was threatening.

Umm I also kind of liked b2w2 better than bw because even though team plasma and the bw plot were interesting, battles against them were so boring (gruntgruntgruntgruntgruntgrunt n using local wilds gruntgruntgruntgruntgruntgrunt) and the game was insanely linear (route, gym city, route, gym city, route...)

One thing I'm not sure should really be discussed in this thread is relative difficulty of games or particular battles, since that depends almost entirely on team choices. As an example, it seems like many people enjoy criticising others for having trouble with Whitney.

I personally have had extremely varied experiences with her: sometimes she falls over quickly without healing, other times she seems to spam milk drink every time miltank gets into the yellow. If you have a team of male pokemon with low stats YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME.

It's not fair to say she's easy just because you happened to use geodude/spammed x attack/traded for the machop because not everyone wants to employ a specific short-term strategy that potentially involves altering team structure just for one gym leader, and frankly if you're forced to use items that npcs have no access to then the battle can't be all that easy. I personally don't like using x items.

I've found some battles in the pokemon franchise hard because I adhere to self-imposed rules like using the same no. of mons as each leader, avoiding overuse of items, and making the battle style set

Haha to bring this back on topic, I think unpopular opinions should be subjective whereas I feel that difficulty in pokemon games can often be determined objectively based on what team a player chooses to use, and given a specific team most players would find the same battles hard.

I loved all the evolutions in gen 4 and wish every gen would do that. Sure some were ugly like Rhyperior but it doesn't mean you can't use Rhydon anymore, and as a bonus you can use Eviolite. Some Pokemon need the help and in my case I started to love Pokemon I never thought twice about (Weavile, Yanmega, Togekiss, Mamoswine families).

For some reason though I have uncontrollable hate for Gallade lol, maybe because Gardevoir is my favorite Pokemon.

I really like the designs of Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W. Maybe this isn't an unpopular opinion but I see a lot of people say like "ugh they look so ugly and dumb". To which I say... yeah. They look awful. And that makes so much sense. It's trying to piece back together two parts of three with an unreliable method; it only figures it'd look so patched together. It's like if you tore the Mona Lisa in three and used glue and duct tape to put two pieces back together. It's going to look horrible, it'll have lost it's former beauty, it's uncomplete, it's patched together, there's a lot of creases and tears... just like Kyurem-W and Kyurem-B. I love how their designs emphasize the flaw of trying to put back together something that's broken beyond repair without even having the final piece - hell, I love that their incompetence in battle emphasizes this too. They have the biggest BSTs of anything but Arceus before XY, but they aren't as brilliant as you'd think -- quite the opposite. They're very awkward and clunky due to their typings, bad movepools and very weird stat distribution. Even their signature moves take a turn to charge before they can actually unleash; almost as if the Kyurem form has trouble balancing it's true power. Hell, the fact that Kyurem-B fell to OU and isn't even a metagame defining threat there emphasizes this even more.

Last edited:
I really like the designs of Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W. Maybe this isn't an unpopular opinion but I see a lot of people say like "ugh they look so ugly and dumb". To which I say... yeah. They look awful. And that makes so much sense. It's trying to piece back together two parts of three with an unreliable method; it only figures it'd look so patched together. It's like if you tore the Mona Lisa in three and used glue and duct tape to put two pieces back together. It's going to look horrible, it'll have lost it's former beauty, it's uncomplete, it's patched together, there's a lot of creases and tears... just like Kyurem-W and Kyurem-B. I love how their designs emphasize the flaw of trying to put back together something that's broken beyond repair without even having the final piece - hell, I love that their incompetence in battle emphasizes this too. They have the biggest BSTs of anything but Arceus before XY, but they aren't as brilliant as you'd think -- quite the opposite. They're very awkward and clunky due to their typings, bad movepools and very weird stat distribution. Hell, the fact that Kyurem-B fell to OU and isn't even a metagame defining threat there emphasizes this even more.
Kyurem-W in pokemon amie

That is all

It's cute :D

I really like the designs of Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W. Maybe this isn't an unpopular opinion but I see a lot of people say like "ugh they look so ugly and dumb". To which I say... yeah. They look awful. And that makes so much sense. It's trying to piece back together two parts of three with an unreliable method; it only figures it'd look so patched together. It's like if you tore the Mona Lisa in three and used glue and duct tape to put two pieces back together. It's going to look horrible, it'll have lost it's former beauty, it's uncomplete, it's patched together, there's a lot of creases and tears... just like Kyurem-W and Kyurem-B. I love how their designs emphasize the flaw of trying to put back together something that's broken beyond repair without even having the final piece - hell, I love that their incompetence in battle emphasizes this too. They have the biggest BSTs of anything but Arceus before XY, but they aren't as brilliant as you'd think -- quite the opposite. They're very awkward and clunky due to their typings, bad movepools and very weird stat distribution. Hell, the fact that Kyurem-B fell to OU and isn't even a metagame defining threat there emphasizes this even more.
It was in UU at one point even :> at least kube-W has access to ice beam with great spa...

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i hate most of the legendaries and never use them. i catch them, then they sit in the box and rot. i think they take whats left of the challenge of the game away. its not fun when u OHKO everything

If I recall kyu w was a real threat in 5th gen meta and early XY as one of the few that tore apart giratina and Lugia cores.

I kinda understand its fall from grace as the meta advanced, but the stab combination and fire move was somewhat unique.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I've always seen Voltorb and Electrode as batteries, not Poké Balls. They have a positive and a negative side, and explode violently if short-circuited.
I don't think they're intended to "be" Poke Balls, just that they've seeped into Pokemon culture that way due to their design. It was said that Voltorbs appeared when Poke Balls were first invented and they were confused with such. I'm more of the opinion, too, that they're more like "batteries" since I think they were once balls that received a charge/mutated, and so forth. But that's theorymonning a little too much, I guess lol

Cobalt Empoleon said:
One thing I'm not sure should really be discussed in this thread is relative difficulty of games or particular battles, since that depends almost entirely on team choices. As an example, it seems like many people enjoy criticising others for having trouble with Whitney.
This comes not only from team choice, but how much one does or does not grind. That's really important in GSC because you really will get dominated if you don't take the time to battle as many trainers and wild encounters as you can. Regardless of team choice, if you go with the bare minimum, you WILL have issues.

This comes not only from team choice, but how much one does or does not grind. That's really important in GSC because you really will get dominated if you don't take the time to battle as many trainers and wild encounters as you can. Regardless of team choice, if you go with the bare minimum, you WILL have issues.
I never had problems with withney, and I did a lot of self imposed challenges on GSC. The real problem lies on Morty as a Gym figth to be honest, this is the moment in wich experience stops being self sufficient unless you start backtracking with surf past his gym.

Pokemon emerald is the greatest pokemon game ever created followed closely by the original gold/silver.

Gen 1 games are trash but the gen 1 pokemon are some of the best in the series.

The physical/special split should have happened well before gen 4. I don't have a clue how game freak didn't think of this until 4 generations of pokemon. Seriously there was no reason to ever use a water type move other than surf (maybe hydro pump) because it completely outclassed everything else and a ton of water type pokemon (gyarados, kingler, feraligatr to name a few) couldn't reach their full potential because their attack was better than their special attack

Legendary Pokemon are all garbage and if you use them in game you are in fact a noob

The best pokemon of all time are as follows charizard, jolteon, typhlosion, dragonite, and NODOKING

ash Ketchum is a joke of a pokemon trainer

I've been playing since red/blue originally came out so despite my bias I actually really enjoyed playing platinum (didn't play pearl/diamond) and if you're like me and have also been playing since the originals and that is the reason you don't like the "newer" games then you're just annoying

As for my playing experience I never played gen 5 or 6 in game but I play on showdown from time to time still. Nerfing weather and then making pokemon with great abilities to play with in weather just makes me hate game freak a hell of a lot more

Yes. I can design a pokemon rpg better than game freak if they let me. Not my opinion it's a fact. Every main series game is exactly the same. Evil team. Rival. 8 gyms. Elite 4. Battle frontier. Yawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 7)