Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
InB4 Assault Vest

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Toxic

On this metagame filled with Mega Steelix, Rhyperior, DD Tyrantrums with EQ and Dugtrio, having a Ground-type weakness is something not to be proud of. Even with access to Magnet Rise, sometimes the Ground-type move is either too fast or you can't kill with CC after retaliation. That's why Shuca Berry is the main item of this set, allowing Cobalion to survive a +1 Tyrantrum's EQ and +1 Steelix's EQ while being able to either set up or kill them. The last move I opt for Toxic to hit the obvious Slowking / Cresselia / Jellicent / Alomomola / Tangrowth / insert physical wall that isn't Poison- or Steel-type incoming switch-in, crippling them hopefully for the rest of the match.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
atomicllamas you mean the next best thing, not the next victim ;o

anyway:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

This Cobalion set mixes two of its best sets, which are SR/pivot and SD, together. You can SR early on and thanks to Cobalion's bulk and the fact that it has leftovers, still be able to set up and sweep later on in the game. I used it because I needed an SR setter on my team and I really wanted to keep SD Cobalion so yeah.

atomicllamas you mean the next best thing, not the next victim ;o

anyway:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

This Cobalion set mixes two of its best sets, which are SR/pivot and SD, together. You can SR early on and thanks to Cobalion's bulk and the fact that it has leftovers, still be able to set up and sweep later on in the game. I used it because I needed an SR setter on my team and I really wanted to keep SD Cobalion so yeah.
Stealth Rock is actually slashed on the SD set onsite o.o

credit to ZANBAKUResh for the set idea

Cobalion @ Chople Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Magnet Rise

Fairly simple variation on the Swords Dance set. Chople Berry lets you defeat things like Medicham that require Fighting moves to break through you so you can set up a Swords Dance in their face and kill them next turn (unless it's Scarf don't do that), or alternatively just kill them outright. Magnet Rise is pretty nice too for dealing with Dugtrio and anything else that has a Ground-type move to bonk you with.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Cobalion @ Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

As always, I will take the pretty "dangerous" route (or wtf route if you may call it) so I present this. Presenting double dance Cobalion! Another variant of swords dance cobalion... a way bolder one. With a pretty neat dual STAB coverage it can be a pretty neat late-game cleaner with some pretty amazing bulk and a good dual STAB to take a good portion of the metagame neutrally at the very least. The EV is rather specific, providing a Life Orb number, enough speed to outspeed base 80s with a positive nature, max attack for max power at the time of cleaning up and the rest in def for good measure. It packs a pretty neat surprise factor as well considering things that outspeed this particular cobalion (houndoom and meloetta for example) fear receiving a close combat to the face. This can also save you from a rp tyrantrum sweep (even though setting up RP with a cobalion alive is a pretty questionable move) considering it takes an earthquake like a champ:

252+ Atk Tyrantrum Earthquake vs. 104 HP / 20 Def Cobalion: 180-214 (51.5 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It can also take some strong priority really well:

252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 104 HP / 20 Def Cobalion: 140-166 (40.1 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 104 HP / 20 Def Cobalion: 108-127 (30.9 - 36.3%) -- 59% chance to 3HKO

Pro-tip: Doublade must be dead, psychic types pretty weakened in order to use this effectively. Hopefully moltres gets the boot as well.

Cheers. Im out.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Roar

This is the standard support Cobalion set, but with Roar over Volt Switch. This kind of set could probably use more bulk and less Speed, but too lazy to look for a spread. This set probably works best on Spikes stacking teams. Whenever Cobalion forces a switch, it can just Roar whatever comes in (assuming you have hazards up already) and watch the residual damage rack up. Against stall(ish) Pokemon, Taunt + Roar is cool. Taunt is important for Defog. I don't know of a Rapid Spinner that likes taking a Close Combat from this thing except Hitmontop and Claydol and Hitmontop isn't even that common anyway. A good partner would probably be something like Qwilfish, maybe Drapion, to lay down Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes.

Roar isn't the greatest thing on Cobalion, but it could have some niche use on select teams.

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.

Cobalion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Dark]

Lol this is about as gimmicky as it gets, but Cobalion surprisingly has the movepool to make a decent Choice specs user if its SpA stat was higher, but this can get by I guess. Anyway, nothing really needs explaining aside from HP Dark, which is used to soften up Doublade: 252 SpA Choice Specs Cobalion Hidden Power Dark vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 180-212 (57.6 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. The reason why you want Dark over HP Fire despite HP Fire being slightly more useful is because it doesn't lower Cobalion's Speed IVs, thus you can potentially win the Speed tie and OHKO opposing Cobalion. If Metal Burst had decreased priority, it'd be kinda cool on the support set in tandem with Focus Sash, but oh well. This thing just doesn't have very many non-standard options...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)