Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
No it only affects the original Pokemon who used it iirc.
So my question here, don't laugh lol since it's a stupid one, but why is cosmic power clefable so bad? Im not wanting to use it or whatever, but i haven't really gotten why its so garbage. The only clef sets ive used is the defensive unaware one and the cm+mg one, and ive only played competitively for over 1 year starting in XY, so im not the most familiar with the reasons. Ty in advance :]

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Ok, if I used shell smash on a sash smeargle, and baton pass into a pokemon with white herb. Will the white herb activate for the receiver on switch.. or does white herb only work on the sender at the time the stat drop happened?
yes the white herb will activate for the receiver.
e.g. say your item-less latios used draco meteor, then it was tricked a white herb in next turn(latios hasn't switched out), the white herb will activate and restore the Special Attack drop which occurred the previous turn.

How has the metagame changed (if at all) in the last two months? New bans? Promotions from UU? Popular stuff? Things falling from favor? I've taken a small break and want to build a new team.

How has the metagame changed (if at all) in the last two months? New bans? Promotions from UU? Popular stuff? Things falling from favor? I've taken a small break and want to build a new team.
If I'm thinking in the right timeframe, you've got:
  • Ninja ban
  • Metagross suspect test (ongoing)
  • Terrakion and Mega Pinsir dropping off to UU
  • Celebi, Raikou, Starmie, Manaphy, and Jirachi rising to OU
  • Rise in Lando-I usage/relevance, especially the RP set
  • An increase in Zards
  • Huge rise in SubCM Keldeo, need to carry a check
  • Offensive Volcarona is a thing again
  • Scarf TTar is making a comeback
  • Rain is pretty good
  • Torn-T is better post Gren, as is Hippowdon
  • SD Lum Garchomp and SR Clefable are examples of hazard setters that can get Rocks down on Mega Sableye (pretty important now)
  • Starmie is a good hazard remover again
That's most of the big things off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Quick question regarding offensive sweeper Volcarona - should I be running Fire Blast or Fiery Dance?

I must say the promise of perfect accuracy and a chance to boost SpA is very tempting, but what KOs do I lost out on when forgoing Fire Blast?

The set I normally run is as follows - and since it's Timid, I find the extra damage often helps.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- ???

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fire Blast with the spread 252 special attack, 184 speed, rest in hp, timid. Outspeeds scarf lando-t and ohkos with fire blast, whilst fiery dance doesn't so go with fire blast.

EDIT: At +1 of course

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Offensive Volcarona (its best set in my opinion) runs Fire Blast indeed. It can eventually run HP Ground instead of Bug Buzz to hit Heatran.
As DarkNostalgia mentioned a spread of 72 HP, 252 SpA, 184 Spe Timid is fine but a spread of 96 HP, 252 SpA, 160 Spe Modest is also nice. Outside of Life Orb there are other viable items such as Lum Berry, Passho Berry, Leftovers and Sitrus Berry (the first two often fits easier on teams than the latter two)

If I switch something with Justified into a failed Sucker Punch, will I get the boost

Toying with an awesome Lucario/Gothitelle core and this'd make it that much better.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
If I switch something with Justified into a failed Sucker Punch, will I get the boost

Toying with an awesome Lucario/Gothitelle core and this'd make it that much better.
no there won't be a boost since Justified activated upon being actually hit by a Dark-type move, and a failed Sucker Punch is......failed, so it doesn't hit and doesn't count.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I am aware of many of the resources used for where to find what pokemon, and I'm aware of EV and IV values, and how to affect them. I've been playing pokemon off and on for a while, once dabbling lightly into competitive.

What I want to know, is what resources are there for getting into the metagame? I'm wanting to get started building my own team but I don't really know where to begin.

Also, is it recommended that I get a copy of OR or AS? Among recent games I only have copies of Y and Black1.
If you're looking to play on your cartridge, check out the battle spot forum because the battle spot formats are very different from OU.

If you're looking to play on your cartridge, check out the battle spot forum because the battle spot formats are very different from OU.
I don't think he should be immediately directed there, since I still have tournaments at my University that play OU format on Cartridge through Local Wireless battles.

JohnnyDevo I would recommend checking the Wi-Fi section if you're looking to acquire the Pokemon themselves. For knowledge, lurking around the appropriate sub-forum is a good start, and there's also a mentorship program you could sign up for.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battling-101.42/

On offensive Volcarona sets, Fire Blast is preferred over Fiery Dance, due to the extra power. Other options over Life Orb are Passho Berry and Lum Berry.

What are some good stall mons/cores in the current meta? I've been away for some time now and really haven't caught up with ORAS much, any help is appreciated.

Also, due to the popularity of Defog, is spike-stacking viable? I believe spreading lots of status could be decent for passive damage anyway (not saying I'll completely skip hazards - SR is a must).

If you get reqs, screenshot it and post it in the identification thread, then play another battle and drop under the COIL amount, can you still vote?

I really like Hawlucha but I'm not a big fan of using the Unbyrden Sky Attack set. I was wondering if a set like this was viable:

Hawlucha
Ability: Limber
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- filler

For the filler slot I wasn't sure what move maybe Posion Jab, Rock Slide, or even Taunt

Nope, Limber is unviable, Unburden is it's only niche. If you don't like the Sky Attack set, you could try this one:

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics

Substitute allows lucha to dodge status attempts such as t-wave and will-o-wisp, while SD is it's main set up move. hjk and acrobatics are it's two main STAB moves; very little resist flying + fighting type coverage. Basically spam sub and get unburden and sitrus berry activated, then go to town.

While this may be a bit involved for a SQSA, it didn't merit going to RMT so I thought I'd ask here. I'm running a team of Landorus-T (Scarf), Rotom-W (Specially defensive), Bisharp (SD), Amoonguss (Pivot), Clefable (Stealth Rock), and Mega Gallade (SD). It gets ripped apart by bulky Steels, especially Mega Scizor, so I was wondering what would be a good Pokemon to switch in order to get a Scizor check or counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)