What country(/ies) do you want to visit the most?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This might sound like a dream with rainbows 'n flowers 'n shit or something that people consider fantasy or can't really be done, but one of my dreams (and something on the bucket list I suppose) is travelling the world, or at least getting to visit a lot of different countries, with light luggage. I think I can probably afford it, but the problem will be the timing and the planning.. I'll most definitely won't do it any time soon, and by that I mean not in at the least the next 6 to 10 years, so it'll be something to look forward to in my life I guess.

Anyway, the place I wanna visit the most has got to be Greece. The ancient Greeks just fascinate me with their philosophers, scientific thinking, and in general the advancements they made and the civilization they managed to build... Greece also has wonderful nature. I wanna see all these ancient buildings and just see the country for myself. look at how cool this place looks.

what about you guys though? what's the country you wanna visit the most?

(i hope this thread doesn't get any "japan cuz i love jap games/anime" replies rofl)

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If I can't say Japan because I like Japanese games / anime then Ireland because I love Arikado <3

In all seriousness I would also like to go to Greece or really just anywhere in Europe. All I've really done outside the country was take like a 2 day trip to Canada which was fun until the wind was so bad they shut down the lifts. Like you could stand up straight and be pushed up the mountain. I don't really know where else I'd want to go in particular except maybe Switzerland because I like skiing + chocolate

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I visited Spain during Winter of 2013 and absolutely fell in love. If I was financially stable at the moment, I would definitely visit the rest of Europe, mostly France and upper Spain, which I didn't get to visit while I was there. The food and the fashion that goes on in those countries is insane and for sure a place where I'd like to settle in.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Japan and Australia.

Japan because there are so much I could buy there. Anime figures, dolls, doll clothes, Lolita clothing, home eletrical appliances, craft itms....
So much stuff to buy.

Australia because I've been there once and loved everything about it. It's the best country i have been to.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel like I've got a real taste of Asia, and my Vietnamese friends have told me often that Pho is actually better in the US, so eh. So if I had to prioritize, countries in Europe. Here though, my interests and my stomach are split at a cross-roads.

While my stomach would be much more interested in Italy, Spain, around the Mediterranean, my shutter-finger would really want to go up north and see its nature-- Swiss alps, or gardens in the Netherlands. There's also the fact that I'm a bit of a skiing/snow board bug.

I'll have to admit I have almost zero interest in European art or architecture, so it's basically food, gardening, and nature that would be calling to me (keeping in mind I still will always see Japanese and Chinese aesthetics of gardening as more attractive, but some more eyes-on Western influence would be greatly appreciated). Meeting European friends (especially ones from common hobbies over the internet) would also be a great opportunity I believe.

Also Food.

On the subject of nature, what I'd really like to see is parts of the South American wilderness-- but would want to experience the beauty of the Amazon without any of the associated danger to going there... so, there's a quandary.

Last edited:

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Belgium. I've been once and I loved the place, there's a lot of interesting things and the people are lovely. It also has some rather special memories for me so I'd love to be back at the source of those.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Before I take on the commitment of a full time job and enter fully 'adult' life I want to go backpacking through some places that capture my interest . Got 2 places in mind, either south east asia or south america

South east asia would be amazing. Starting off in malaysia and trekking up into thailand would be so awesome. Could eat a bunch of really nice foods (cheap seafood!!!!), see amazing beaches with equally good surf, and enjoy the sights and culture. Especially want to see Angkor Wat, had a mate go over and visit it and said it was one of the best places hes ever been in his whole life. Even from pictures alone it looks like something I'd like to go do. Vietnam would be an interesting visit, I've wanted to go with my pop whos a vietnam vet for a while, and hopefully when I've got a gap between uni terms or something I could meet up with him over there and see all the places hes been to (hes revisited multiple times and loved it). Also in south east asia im going to bali for a week in november for schoolies, and with the high number of people I know going over there as well it should be a lot of fun

The appeal of South America to me is the history. Australian history is the lamest thing I've ever done in school, theres literally nothing to it except talking about how good the explorers who discovered Australia are and how the convicts had some reward system for working hard. All of the interesting stuff such as Aboriginal history in the area is never taught, nor is there any real focus on how the europeans / indigenous Australians interacted. Seeing the Amazon Jungle and river along with all the exotic animals that are there is something I want to do sooner rather than later, as who knows how much of that rainforest will be left within 50 years or so. Native American culture is the most interesting in the world for me, I love how there were so many different tribes, all with different ways of living and culture. Even today, cities like cuzco, santiago and lima intrigue me. Would especially love to visit Machu Pichu, looks like it would be an awesome experience. After visiting the 'tourist' spots, going up north to Mexico and seeing Aztec ruins, as well as Chichen Itza would be awesome, along with nice beaches and surf

I'm probably being really ambitious with both of these trips, but breaking it up into 2-3 trips would make it work if I couldn't get what I wanted to do done in one trip. I'm a huge fan of travelling in general, so a job where I can visit places would be my dream job, otherwise something that pays well so I can go and visit as many places as possible :]

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I've been to 15 countries so far in my life so you could say I love to travel. I would love to go to South Korea as well as China. I've got a bunch of people from smogon and outside of smogon that I know who live in Australia, so I would love to see them.

Cresselia~~

I've been to 15 countries so far in my life so you could say I love to travel. I would love to go to South Korea as well as China. I've got a bunch of people from smogon and outside of smogon that I know who live in Australia, so I would love to see them.
I always thought you were from Australia...

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Haha, I'm not sure where you got that idea. I live in the ice-cold godforsaken state of Minnesota... :(

Brazil, of course, because the people are friendly and sexy and the weather is amazing.

Brasil, claro, porq o povo eh bem amigavel e gostoso e a clima eh mt boa.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
  1. Japan, because of their obvious influence around the world (anime, Pokemon, etc), and them kimonos, cherry blossoms, pretty scenery, fireworks/lantern festivals, unreadable kanjis, etc :]
  2. And also Northern Europe, because I wanna experience them polar nights (certain seasons which everyday is nighttime :p)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  1. Japan, because of their obvious influence around the world (anime, Pokemon, etc), and them kimonos, cherry blossoms, pretty scenery, fireworks/lantern festivals, unreadable kanjis, etc :]
  2. And also Northern Europe, because I wanna experience them polar nights (certain seasons which everyday is nighttime :p)
Make sure you are there for the 1-2 weeks when they're blooming, and have enough friends to booze with (preferably Japanese ones who know how to Hanami properly).

'Cause if you're not staring up at Sakura while stuffed with junk food and in a drunken euphoria, you're doing it wrong. :P

Scotland, Wales, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Poland, the Netherlands, and Bhutan. Edit: also Peru and Chile.

Already visited Italy, France, Germany, England, and Ireland though would go to the first three again (to parts I didn't see).

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Well, I've always wanted to visit Switzerland. I've always had a love for cars, and I figure once in my life I hope to go and see the Geneva Auto Show. In addition, the idea of skiing in the Bernese Alps has always been a pretty cool one for me. Also, I've wanted to know what the banks there were like for quite a while; maybe I'll create an account there one day. :)

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I'd love to go to Australia and any of the countries in Central and South America with rainforests to explore. I'm not much of a travel-oriented person in general, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to observe all that incredible biodiversity firsthand - pretty much anything in the jungle is bound to fascinate me, and the sheer variety of spiders and reptiles to find in Australia makes it an irresistible destination for me.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The UK has pretty much everything I could want compressed in a small area, and I'm also a strong advocate for people seeing all of their own country before swanning off to other continents. So that said, I don't have too much desire to travel at the moment...but the one thing the UK lacks is sunshine! I was in Barcelona last year and finally understood that sunglasses have a function beyond concealing your hangover. So if I were to travel anytime soon, it'd be to a country with high temperatures, wall-to-wall sunshine and beautiful beaches. For those, and the reasons stated in the OP, Greece has always been an appealing one. I have been meaning to go every year for the past 3~ years but the situation over there keeps thwarting me...

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland. I've always been fascinated by the landscapes of these countries so I'd like to visit one or all of them as soon as I can (which means not in the next 4-5 years :[ ). US and Australia would be next.

I have never traveled outside Asia, mainly due to financial issues and my parents' lack of English proficiency. However, I have traveled to all of the SE Asia and many parts of China. I really enjoyed the rich and vast Asia culture. My favourite got to be India. I was there for my military training for 2 weeks and it was absolutely an eye-opening experience. Taj Mahal is grand and gorgeous when you see it in person.

I am going to Norway for exchange in August which I am really excited about. Me and my friends have already made plans to go many parts of Europe. Thanks the lucky stars I managed to get a scholarship, giving me 9900 pounds that can cover my expenses.

The country I really want to go is the States, particularly New York and San Francisco. I'm always more of an urban guy. :)

Last edited:
The UK has pretty much everything I could want compressed in a small area, and I'm also a strong advocate for people seeing all of their own country before swanning off to other continents.
All very well if you live in a country that can be driven around in a weekend!

Reactions: Lee

Cresselia~~

I have never traveled outside Asia, mainly due to financial issues and my parents' lack of English proficiency. However, I have traveled to all of the SE Asia and many parts of China. I really enjoyed the rich and vast Asia culture. My favourite got to be India. I was there for my military training for 2 weeks and it was absolutely an eye-opening experience. Taj Mahal is grand and gorgeous when you see it in person.

I am going to Norway for exchange in August which I am really excited about. Me and my friends have already made plans to go many parts of Europe. Thanks the lucky stars I managed to get a scholarship, giving me 9900 pounds that can cover my expenses.

The country I really wanted to go is the States, particularly New York and San Francisco. I'm always more of an urban guy. :)
Finally someone mentioned the States.
makes them happy.

Last edited:

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Literally anywhere in Europe and/or North America. I have yet to set foot outside this madhouse I call home (I live in India). England more than anywhere else, London to be specific; being a lifelong Chelsea fan, it's my dream to watch a home game at the Bridge. Not even nearly as eager to see the rest of Asia but I guess I wouldn't mind checking out the likes of China and Japan some day.

Last edited:

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Make sure you are there for the 1-2 weeks when they're blooming, and have enough friends to booze with (preferably Japanese ones who know how to Hanami properly).

'Cause if you're not staring up at Sakura while stuffed with junk food and in a drunken euphoria, you're doing it wrong. :P
Oh sorry, I prefer to be sober as always ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)