Other Buried Treasure Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't think Staraptor has a possible set that isn't outclassed by another Pokémon. Banded is the way to go for a nice and powerful wallbreaker.
As for Mega Glalie... I'd honestly go for Double Edge. Again, it's a wallbreaker, Body Slam might work as a nice lure but I dunno.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I think Freeze Dry on Glalie is perfectly viable since Rotom-W walls it (provided it's running Ice STAB + EQ), and also hits bulky waters like Quagsire and Alaomaomaola. Spikes could work I guess, like a suicide lead set with spikes+explosion? But then again Azelf exists, so I really dunno about spikes viability on Glalie.
Scarf Staraptor? Eh hits harder than Talonflame but t-flame is overall a better utility mon. Band staraptor is probably the best set, wallbreaking really nicely, but I've only used raptor like 5 times so i can't judge...
Specs dragalge is ok, though the luxury of switching moves when using draco plate/toxic plate is quite sorely missed. T-spikes is a good utility move on an offensive set with the plates, but specs dragalge has sheer wallbreaking power. Scald is viable I think to punish heatran switchins, bulky steel switchins like jirachi though focus blast/hp fire do exist.

Ok then i thought id contribute to this sooo... here we go!

Toxic spike dragalage

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD OR 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Calm / Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]

While not the BEST dragalage set this set is more or less to be used on stall teams and can be used to decent success on bulky offence teams. This set provides toxic spikes support to help aid mons who like toxic spike support such as suicune. On stall the wittle damage is key to winning which is why toxic spikes is so good on drag. On top of that it hits pretty hard even with no investment in its sp.a. Naturally this set is Different then the normal choice specs set and is still pretty good but drag plays more of a sp.def wall instead. Due to how this is a more offensive role calm nature is chosen to further drags bulk. Compared to the specs set what makes this set so good is toxic spikes. While it is true the specs set is by far the best set the spikes set is just as effective but has different uses compared to other good toxic spikes users in the tier. This set really does not miss much on coverage other then the lack of scald but d-pulse can be used on the more defensive sets so you dont need to switch as often but the drop in power is pretty huge. Overall toxic spike drag is pretty good if your in need of a bulky but not passive pokemon that can lay toxic spikes.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
darkshadowfire
The set sounds pretty interesting, but I don't really see why you would use it over Tentacruel. Tentacruel is also a good toxic spikes setter which can switch into Specs Keldeo but Tentacruel has way more utility moves like Rapid Spin, Knock Off and Scald. Dragalge hits harder than Tentacruel, but without any investment in SpA there are still many reliable switchins for Dragalge.

well there are many reason to use toxic spike drag over tentacruel. I was going to explain why this outclasses tenta(on more offensive teams mostly) but i guess ill try to explain it. While it is true that tenta has rapid spin and more utility Dragalge has several things over tenta. dragalge has more physical and special bulk compared to tentacruel as well as like you said hits much harder. Tentacruel is pretty passive honestly and while drag has more switch ins its also true its in away a offensive toxic spike setter. Also tentacruel is often times only good on stall teams for this reason while dragalge has great synergy with mons tentacruel really cant pair well with such as suicune and mega gyrados. So to sum things up drag can be used on more offensive teams then tenta can. Hell if the sp.def set is somthing you dont like you can still run max hp+max sp.a with toxic spikes. Hope that i cleared up why drag is better then tenta in most situations.

• What is the best set for Staraptor in this metagame?
Staraptor (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat / U-turn
- Final Gambit

birdspam has decreased drastically in usage in ORAS, mainly because MPinsir isn't once as good or dominant as it was in XY. popular pivots such as landorus-t and rotom-w are also taking the metagame by storm, they are found on almost every offense team because they provide momentum for the team which is essential against opposing offense teams. these popular pivots coincidentally also check birds very well, making the life of birds very difficult to succeed. final gambit staraptor, however, cleanly 1hkoes these pivots, clearing a huge roadblock for another flying-type such as talonflame or mpinsir to take advantage of and punish offense teams. staraptor's role is to get rid of these birdspam checks as effeciently as possible to pave a way for another bird to clean. great partners are obviously those who appreciate landorus-t and rotom-w being taken down turn 1 such as talonflame. another great partner for this is another scarf final gambit user, victini. staraptor+victini lure and quickly ko the infamous landTom-W pivot core which always had a place in the metagame since their debut in bw2, giving yourself a huge advantage as you already have taken out your win-condition's checks while your opponent has yet to do anything.

• Does Staraptor have any other good sets than choice locked sets (LO Agility? Feather Dance?
sadly, staraptor's only niche in the current metagame is scarf+final gambit :(

SketchUp

I think the spread is not good if you want to use it on offensive teams. Toxic Spikes is definitely a good set for offensive teams but a spread of 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe is better in that case.
The Teambuilding Competition actually had a core of Mega Gyarados + Dragalge a few weeks ago and many of the Dragalge sets were offensive Toxic Spikes because they worked well with Mega Gyarados. I guess your spread works better in teams with Suicune for example, but I wouldn't use it if Tentacruel exists to be honest.

Teambuilding Competition

yeah that is true. But personally the fact that drag forces more switches and is not passive seems like its a slightly better toxic spikes setter then tenta. Could be wrong. (probably am)

I think Banded Staraptor is still a good set. Relative to other Banded wallbreakers, it has pivoting and momentum gaining ability, as well as a decent speed tier for a wallbreaker. If you look at the other common band users, they either have to lock into priority against faster teams (Scizor, Azu, Dragonite) which can get taken advantage of and played around, or risk getting outsped and taking hits when using their power moves. Staraptor has to worry about this less due to outspeeding a greater number of things naturally. Basically Raptor can spam Banded Brave Bird more than Azu can spam Play Rough or DNite can spam Outrage. The momentum part is also important, and it functions much like Landorus-T: force switches, and use U-Turn to switch to checks in response. A Staraptor-Mega Sceptile-Suicune (aka Staraptor-Rotom-W check-Landorus-T check) core works fairly well in terms of gaining momentum quickly, and also chips aways at health quickly enough to start spamming Brave Bird. If you haven't picked up on it yet, the whole goal when using Band Raptor should be to get to the point where you can spam Brave Bird.

Outside of that Staraptor does have other uses, including an underrated Scarf set and potentially other things like LO Roost+3 attacks. Scarf set is nice on Lando-I teams, as it is essentially a budget Landorus-T with an arguably better movepool. As far as LO 3 attacks and LO Agility and that stuff goes, if you're a good teambuilder you can make chicken salad out of chicken shit if you try hard enough. Useable stuff but I wouldn't reccomend it to anybody.

Glalie @ Glalite
EVs: 252 atk, 4 def, 252 spe
Ability: Moody ->Refrigerate
Jolly Nature

- Spikes
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Double Edge

Suicide spiker. Froslass does this better against offense, but unlike Frosslass, M.Glalie destroys stallmons like Heatran, defensive Lando-T etc. with Ice/Ground coverage. It's quite good on spike stacking offense without a mega, but is usually quite poor due to oppertunity cost.

Wasn't Staraptor the reason why the term "Birdspam" was coined? It's not meant to be a standalone 'mon, kinda like Gen IV Salamence was pretty much outclassed completely by Rayquaza in Ubers but was one of its best partners as a Dragon-type sweeper/wallbreaker. I've included some calcs here to show the neighborhood in which Staraptor's Flying-type attack power resides:

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 247-292 (72.4 - 85.6%)
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 495-583 (145.1 - 170.9%)
252 Atk Choice Scarf Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 222-262 (65.1 - 76.8%)
252+ Atk Choice Scarf Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 244-288 (71.5 - 84.4%)
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 333-393 (97.6 - 115.2%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 235-277 (68.9 - 81.2%)

Its dual 120 base power Reckless-boosted STABs along with Close Combat and U-Turn make this thing an insane nuke. Mega Pinsir's power and Talonflame's priority is incredibly hard to sacrifice (which is why these two are preferred over Staraptor and even commonly used together), but for raw power output Staraptor is up there, putting out damage on par with Talonflame and not taking up the Mega slot like Pinsir. The niche of Staraptor is pure wallbreaking power; it'll faint in the process, but it will leave giant holes in the opponent's team that will allow another Flying-type to clean up.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
  • What is the best set for Staraptor in this metagame?
Staraptor (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat / U-turn
- Final Gambit

birdspam has decreased drastically in usage in ORAS, mainly because MPinsir isn't once as good or dominant as it was in XY. popular pivots such as landorus-t and rotom-w are also taking the metagame by storm, they are found on almost every offense team because they provide momentum for the team which is essential against opposing offense teams. these popular pivots coincidentally also check birds very well, making the life of birds very difficult to succeed. final gambit staraptor, however, cleanly 1hkoes these pivots, clearing a huge roadblock for another flying-type such as talonflame or mpinsir to take advantage of and punish offense teams. staraptor's role is to get rid of these birdspam checks as effeciently as possible to pave a way for another bird to clean. great partners are obviously those who appreciate landorus-t and rotom-w being taken down turn 1 such as talonflame. another great partner for this is another scarf final gambit user, victini. staraptor+victini lure and quickly ko the infamous landTom-W pivot core which always had a place in the metagame since their debut in bw2, giving yourself a huge advantage as you already have taken out your win-condition's checks while your opponent has yet to do anything.

• Does Staraptor have any other good sets than choice locked sets (LO Agility? Feather Dance?
sadly, staraptor's only niche in the current metagame is scarf+final gambit :(
Sadly its only good with choice lock sets. I'm with DracoNinja's moveset but I would make mine Choice Banded instead of scarf.

Choice Banded Final Gambit is not a good idea. If you're running CB, U-turn or even Quick Attack are better options. Final Gambit only goes well with scarf, because scarf lacks the power of band to break through bulkier walls with recovery. Scarf is also faster than band, so now that staraptor's speed tier isn't so good anymore, if running CB, it may have to take a hit before being able to use final gambit. So yeah, final gambit should pretty much only be used on scarfed sets.

SketchUp

U-Turn is definitely the best option for banded sets and I don't see why banded sets should give it up in exchange of Final Gambit. Final Gambit is a more viable option on choice scarf sets, but even then U-Turn is the better choice in my opinion.

Spikes on Mega Glalie is more of a thing in RU, probably because the tier is more adapted to it as a wallbreaker and the switchins can be punished by stacking hazards everytime they come in. Glalie in RU has a niche that it threatens many defoggers or spinners like Golbat and Skuntank, but in OU the most common defoggers and spinners (Starmie, Lati@s, Excadrill) all can threaten Glalie out and removing the spikes glalie just set. While there are still a few viable switchins for Mega Glalie in OU, such as Slowbro and Rotom-W, I think Freeze-Dry is a better way to get rid of these threats instead of punishing them with Spikes. Earthquake is almost a mandatory option because steel types are omnipresent in the metagame and without Earthquake steels like Heatran and Jirachi come in for free.
*Earthquake / Return / Explosion / Ice Shard or Freeze-Dry is the best moveset in my opinion.
A jolly nature (Naive if Freeze-Dry) seems better than an adamant nature (Naughty if Freeze-Dry) because you outspeed pokemon like Timid Manaphy and speed tie with Mega Gardevoir if needed. With an adamant nature you get the sure 2HKO on 252 / 0 Tyranitar without rocks up and OHKO Excadrill with rocks up 80% of the time, but these situations often only occure when they are switching in, which they won't do that often. Excadril can revengekill if scarf or sand rush and tyranitar also runs scarf pretty often, so mega glalie is forced out anyway in these situations. Being able to outspeed Jolly Excadrill, Modest Zard-Y and Timid Manaphy is worth more than the attack boost.

I participated in the Teambuilding Competition I mentioned before when the core featuring Dragalge was the core of the week and I immediately thought Draco Plate was the right item because a Choice Specs give pokemon like Mega Scizor, Bisharp, BD Azumarill and Mega Altaria a free turn to set up, while also giving Banded Azumarill, Mega Diancie and Mega Metagross a free turn to fire off one of their heavy hitting moves. The specs set is definitely an interesting set, but your team needs to be build to either have a backup for pokemon like SD Bisharp if it gets a free switchin or the team needs to have switchin for common lures (for example a grass type to lure in Specs sludge bomb and give Mega Metagross a free switchin) when the Dragalge player lands in a 50/50 in going for their poison move or their dragon move. The Toxic Spikes doesn't really need this support, but rather gives support to other teammates in the form of the toxic spikes + still having good wallbreaking power + possible luring in pokemon like Bisharp after a Sludge Bomb and surprise them with a Draco Meteor (doesn't work very often but sometimes players make this mistakes)

on the note of specs dragalge, while scald may seem good i don't think it's really a good idea in practice considering that it's a sharp drop in power from your own stab moves. a neutral sludge wave for example hits most of what you want decently hard enough, harder than x2 scald (not to mention that 98% of the time you'd be clicking meteor anyway so using scald doesn't really click imo, even with the burn). i'd rather use hydro pump instead for more immediate power at hand, though i suppose its still somewhat justifiable either way considering scald is the second best move in the game after stealth rock.

that said, water coverage by itself isn't really too useful on dragalge, it doesn't really hit anything significant in ou that dragalge isn't already covering with stabs and hp fire, other than heatran. focus blast hits heatran significantly harder too, so its hard to justify giving it up for scald or hydro pump. it kills rhyperior... and that's kind of about it tbf. so nope, i wouldn't say that scald is really needed (its an option if your team can handle heatran well enough, but otherwise focus blast is superior imo)

as for dpulse, it's hard to really say because frankly speaking, when you switch in dragalge 98% of the time you're going to be clicking draco meteor and watching something die, or predict a fairy switch-in and go for sludge wave. it's there for 'reliability' but i don't think its really necessary unless you want dragalge to sweep lategame or something (that's not really an aim of the specs set, you're just using it to nuke shit up lol)

"Does Staraptor have any other good sets than choice locked sets (LO Agility? Feather Dance?)"
At least in Monotype, Feather dance Staraptor its pretty damn common.

Stan (Staraptor) (M) @ Rocky Helmet / Leftorvers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Feather Dance

It seems really gimmicky at first, but it can take physical hits extremely well, plus it provides Defog a Intimidate support and it haves good offensive presence

"But why would you EVER use this when Skarmory and Mandibuzz exist?."

Well.. I agree that in most cases they are a better option, Skarmory because Steel Type and Sturdy, and Mandibuzz because Overcoat and Foul play, but Staraptor can cripple almost every physical attacker with Feather dance and it could be used in specific Stall teams to have better a better typing sinergy with the other members, also is bulkier than both of them. (with Intimidate of course)

-1 252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Staraptor: 85-102 (22.7 - 27.3%) -- 51.3% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 100-118 (23.6 - 27.8%) -- 85.3% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 82-97 (24.6 - 29.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO

And again, sorry for the bad grammar becuase I dont how to speak english correctly. e-e

U-Turn is definitely the best option for banded sets and I don't see why banded sets should give it up in exchange of Final Gambit. Final Gambit is a more viable option on choice scarf sets, but even then U-Turn is the better choice in my opinion.

Spikes on Mega Glalie is more of a thing in RU, probably because the tier is more adapted to it as a wallbreaker and the switchins can be punished by stacking hazards everytime they come in. Glalie in RU has a niche that it threatens many defoggers or spinners like Golbat and Skuntank, but in OU the most common defoggers and spinners (Starmie, Lati@s, Excadrill) all can threaten Glalie out and removing the spikes glalie just set. While there are still a few viable switchins for Mega Glalie in OU, such as Slowbro and Rotom-W, I think Freeze-Dry is a better way to get rid of these threats instead of punishing them with Spikes. Earthquake is almost a mandatory option because steel types are omnipresent in the metagame and without Earthquake steels like Heatran and Jirachi come in for free.
*Earthquake / Return / Explosion / Ice Shard or Freeze-Dry is the best moveset in my opinion.
A jolly nature (Naive if Freeze-Dry) seems better than an adamant nature (Naughty if Freeze-Dry) because you outspeed pokemon like Timid Manaphy and speed tie with Mega Gardevoir if needed. With an adamant nature you get the sure 2HKO on 252 / 0 Tyranitar without rocks up and OHKO Excadrill with rocks up 80% of the time, but these situations often only occure when they are switching in, which they won't do that often. Excadril can revengekill if scarf or sand rush and tyranitar also runs scarf pretty often, so mega glalie is forced out anyway in these situations. Being able to outspeed Jolly Excadrill, Modest Zard-Y and Timid Manaphy is worth more than the attack boost.

I participated in the Teambuilding Competition I mentioned before when the core featuring Dragalge was the core of the week and I immediately thought Draco Plate was the right item because a Choice Specs give pokemon like Mega Scizor, Bisharp, BD Azumarill and Mega Altaria a free turn to set up, while also giving Banded Azumarill, Mega Diancie and Mega Metagross a free turn to fire off one of their heavy hitting moves. The specs set is definitely an interesting set, but your team needs to be build to either have a backup for pokemon like SD Bisharp if it gets a free switchin or the team needs to have switchin for common lures (for example a grass type to lure in Specs sludge bomb and give Mega Metagross a free switchin) when the Dragalge player lands in a 50/50 in going for their poison move or their dragon move. The Toxic Spikes doesn't really need this support, but rather gives support to other teammates in the form of the toxic spikes + still having good wallbreaking power + possible luring in pokemon like Bisharp after a Sludge Bomb and surprise them with a Draco Meteor (doesn't work very often but sometimes players make this mistakes)
About spikes Glalie: Glal actually beats Lati@s out outspeeds non scarf/sand Exca so it can explode, to block the spin/defog. it's niche is to set hazards, kill the spinner or at least block the spin, and blow up. I agree it isn't the best M.Glal set, but I don't like any of them TBH.

Sigh. Staraptor is so close to being good. but with Scarf it really wants power but with Band it really wants scarf. :C
Glalie is actually a great spike stacker, as the right double switches can put the fear of god in your opponent with those powerful returns and threat of an explosion. Not to mention nice speed. Wish they had dropped that special attack lower and put it into speed or more attack or something. Freeze dry is great but...
Well Freeze dry kinda has a place on 4 attacks, and it's capability as a 4 attacks is nice, and explosion will kill or cripple something, barring like heatran who you just EQ anyway. Mamoswine exists tho so idk how useful this set really is. Spike stacker has always seemed like the best niche to me b/c 4 attacks is outclassed/on par with mamoswine and mamo doesn't use a mega slot. Might as well run Body Slam on spike stacker because who doesn't like being hit by a refrigerate powered troll para move.
Dragalae has a wonderful unique niche that nothing else really competes with. A dragon nuke who doesn't care about fairies. No good player would risk that without being in a massive pinch. (although mid-ladder probably would). Seriously in the hand of the right player this thing is terrifying. Poison/Dragon is also a good defensive combo barring like EQ, and gives it plenty of option to just double in and blow something to bits. Ferrothorn can try, but hp fire exists. Might as well be using Draco Meteor because it's pretty much and one and done nuke to begin with, as being choice locked into two stabs which have immunities/strong resists you'd have to be kinda insane to leave it in from early-mid and even some late games. Toxic spikes is also cool, as you force switches pretty easily with it, and you can pretend to be choiced to get some easy kills. (lol dont try to set up BD azu on me). Drag i'd say has the best niche of the 3 here.

Reactions: AM

SketchUp

Dragalge @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

Staraptor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

I've tested the pokemon out a bit in the past few days and I think these are the best sets. Pretty standard sets but they are standard for a reason.
I played with Specs Dragalge and spamming Draco Meteor's is nice but often forces you to switch out. While Dragon Fang doesn't really stop this problem, being able to use Sludge Wave first and then switch to Draco Meteor helped me much more. Toxic Spikes provides amazing utility that puts tons of pressure on the opposing team
For Staraptor I just picked Adamant + Band for the extra power. Versus offensive teams it could basically get a kill everytime it switches in on something slower than Staraptor not called Jirachi (who dies to 2x BB/CC anyways) and against stall teams it can just spam brave bird if the opponent doesn't have a Skarmory. Staraptor doesn't need Jolly against stall and the extra power helps getting some good 2HKOs.
Mega Glalie was pretty underwhelming to be honest. The spikes set was just bad in my experience and it helped me way more luring in Slowbro or Rotom-Wash and hit them with a Freeze-Dry, instead of laying spikes if they switch in.

SketchUp

I'm a bit busy tomorrow so I start the next slate now. From now on I'll only do 2 pokemon each slate because each slate one pokemon didn't even get that many discussion. With only 2 pokemon to discuss it is much easier to control.

Discussion #3:

We go up the viability rankings a bit and meet two UU pokemon.

Entei in OU can't spam Sacred Fire as easily as in OU due to pokemon like Heatran and Mega Slowbro being a good switchin. Can the weakness of Heatran be fixed by using an Assault Vest, which also helps against many special attackers in the tier? Assault Vest on Entei makes him a good switchin to pokemon like LO Gengar if rocks are down. Or is the band really needed?
Toxicroak has a very good typing in this metagame, allowing him to switch into threats like Keldeo and Tyranitar and set up an SD. Does it want Jolly or Adamant? And are there other viable sets around, like Nasty Plot, SubBelch or SubPunch? And how do these sets perform in the metagame?

Be free to post sets, calcs and replays to find the best set for this pokemon, but also look for underrated, gimmicky or fun sets for these pokemon.

Last edited:
Entei: Well, if you predict right, 252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Bulldoze vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 376-444 (97.6 - 115.3%) which always takes it down after rocks. Heatran, however, can't do anything back except Toxic, Roar, or set up its own rocks. Of course, if you're locked into SF, you're kinda screwed. On the other hand, AV does beat Heatran 1v1. As for something like Gengar, Sludge Wave 2HKOes about 54% of the time, while having a 1 in 4 chance to live SF from AV Entei. AV also lives a DM from LO Latios once after SR, doing 63-74.6%. So yeah, AV Entei is legit, but needs to be played correctly. You can forget about beating Slowbro regardless of item, though. These calcs, btw, are standard 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Adamant Entei.

Toxicroak: Adamant variants need 152 speed to outrun 252+ Tyranitar, which is only ever seen on its DD set, and only 8 (lol) to outrun 68 spe (sdef) Heatran. Still walled to hell by Lando-T in most cases, but Ice Punch can lure it in, scoring a 2HKO on defensive variants even at -1 while outspeeding it. So the set I propose is:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch / Ice Punch

This spread gives Toxicroak 333 HP, so you can shift 16 EVs from HP to Defense to get the LO number if you want. (that makes the spread 88 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 152 Spe)

Is this Banded Treasure or Buried Treasure lol

Entei is an underrated force in the metagame for sure. Banded Sacred Fire is capable of crippling switch-ins easily and pressuring them with burns. Adding onto that a support movepool of Bulldoze (of Tran), Stone Edge for general coverage, and Extremespeed for decent cleaning ability and you really start getting somewhere. It's pretty much your standard fare as fair as Band breakers go. Just burn everything in sight. Lati@s is a good example of something it can BS be with burns. For example:

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 135-159 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 135-159 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after burn damage

And then you start compounding potential SR damage on top of that and you can wear down checks (for teammates!) very quickly.

Tagging Recreant because she writes essays about Entei for fun iirc.

Toxicroak seems like a great mon in theory but in practice is seems to underwhelm. It falls in a very similar boat to Lucario in my opinion. Both have strong Fighting STAB, decent defensive typings, and an over reliance on non-STAB priority. It's got some potential but it just can't hit consistantly hard enough and I find myself spamming Sucker Punch more often than not. It's useable but lower on my list of SD breakers unless I'm BD Azumarill weak.

Entei: Well, if you predict right, 252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Bulldoze vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 376-444 (97.6 - 115.3%) which always takes it down after rocks. Heatran, however, can't do anything back except Toxic, Roar, or set up its own rocks. Of course, if you're locked into SF, you're kinda screwed. On the other hand, AV does beat Heatran 1v1. As for something like Gengar, Sludge Wave 2HKOes about 54% of the time, while having a 1 in 4 chance to live SF from AV Entei. AV also lives a DM from LO Latios once after SR, doing 63-74.6%. So yeah, AV Entei is legit, but needs to be played correctly. You can forget about beating Slowbro regardless of item, though. These calcs, btw, are standard 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Adamant Entei.

Toxicroak: Adamant variants need 152 speed to outrun 252+ Tyranitar, which is only ever seen on its DD set, and only 8 (lol) to outrun 68 spe (sdef) Heatran. Still walled to hell by Lando-T in most cases, but Ice Punch can lure it in, scoring a 2HKO on defensive variants even at -1 while outspeeding it. So the set I propose is:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch / Ice Punch

This spread gives Toxicroak 333 HP, so you can shift 16 EVs from HP to Defense to get the LO number if you want. (that makes the spread 88 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 152 Spe)
Seems like a pretty good set, though might I recommend altering the spread to 76 HP/ 252 Atk / 180 Spe? This outspeeds 216 Speed neutral Mega Altaria (which is evidently worth noting on the Speed Tiers post) by 1 point, letting you nail it for very near a kill unMega'd and guaranteed on the Mega without being threatened by Earthquake or Fire Blast on the Special sets.
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 265-313 (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 447-530 (141.4 - 167.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you add more speed by going for a LO number, 48 HP/ 252 Atk / 208 Spe, he hits 258, which outspeeds Jirachi and Diggersby
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Quick Attack vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 120-142 (37.6 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 377-447 (120.8 - 143.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And from there, maybe edge a few off attack to creep Positive base 70's, 48 HP/ 232 Atk / 228 Spe, including Breloom (Spore), Base Metagross, Bisharp (who's Iron Head does a nice chunk after some LO recoil despite hating Drain Punch)
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 199-235 (62.3 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As well as neutral base 80's and Neutral Gyarados (Mega can hit through Dry Skin with Mold Breaker)
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 232-274 (72.7 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Toxicroak has quite a few benchmarks that might be worth aiming for, considering he hits decently hard and wants to avoid being forced out on the chance he gets a Boost down

lol hi yes I have arrived. I'm not getting ping alerts for whatever reason, so I'm glad I scanned across this thread, it's time to talk about Entei. Yes I do write essays about it so here's another one.

A while ago, I nominated Entei to move up to C+, and for good reason. Entei is a terrifying physical attacker, and a pretty scary late game sweeper if you know how to use it. Sacred Fire is simply one of the most spam-able moves in the game. Combine this with an awesome 50% chance to Burn and entry hazards, very few things actually want to switch freely into Entei. Pokémon that you think would be common switch ins, such as Heatran and Landorus, are either afraid of getting a Burn or they are nailed by another one of Entei's moves (Heatran is basically lured in and has a good chance to be KOed by Bulldoze) Entei is also pretty much the bane to Chansey / Skarmory cores, since it beats both of them really well. Extreme Speed is also really awesome for picking off things like Talonflame and Mega Beedrill after Stealth Rock damage. Entei has pretty deceiving bulk as well. It's a shame it doesn't get Flash Fire as its hidden ability yet, as that would make it a great switch in to a lot of things. lol right E-Speed. I personally use a Life Orb over a Choice Band. Entei really appreciates the ability to switch moves at its leisure over a small bit of extra damage. Having to run an Adamant nature is annoying too, but 100 Speed isn't awful and it's nothing you should lose sleep over. Be warned that Entei also has a weakness to Stealth Rock, so having a Pokémon with Rapid Spin or Defog is almost mandatory.

I'll add more to this post later, but don't expect me to talk about Toxi since I hate it :x

Keep in mind that these are Life Orb calcs, so most of them aren't even at full power. Also, most of things suffer so badly from Burns that they can't switch in at all.

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 151-178 (50.8 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Bulldoze vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 328-390 (85.1 - 101.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 110-133 (28.7 - 34.8%) -- 6.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 75-90 (24.7 - 29.7%) -- 84.9% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 117-138 (36.2 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 99-117 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 129-152 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 112-133 (31.3 - 37.2%) -- 77.2% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 285-335 (44.3 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 242-289 (72.4 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 153-181 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 175-208 (43.3 - 51.4%) -- 63.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)