Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dont think so much speed investment is necessary in BP singles cause the amount of noivern weavile and swellow is very low, also in lower tiers btw. Im around 1600 and i think its more than 40 battles ago that i encountered one of those. I btw have never encountered a swellow before if i recall correctly.
Not to mention that Noivern has to rely on Air Slash flinches, inaccurate Hurricanes, or unstabbed Boomburst - Hurricane isn't even a guaranteed 2HKO, not that it'll even have a chance bar some lucky confusion. Air Slash does 32.9 - 39.3% while Boomburst never 2HKOes. Sadly, Weavile Ice Punch has a very high chance of OHKOing, but that is virtually the only thing I have to worry about. Looks like I'll be going with the > Greninja spread for regular Battle Spot then. Thanks again fellas!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NixHex if you're gonna take EVs out of anywhere to put in HP then they should come from attack. You may as well be running max speed to get the jump on as much stuff as possible at +1, and Pixilate Return does so much that you don't need max attack. The standard 192 attack that the strategy dex recommends has a 93% chance to OHKO mega Mence at +0, which is probably the lowest you could go to be honest. Mega Mence isn't ultra common anymore in regular singles (dropped out of the top 12 with the last ladder update) so you could afford to drop it a little more for that format

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Quick question about Mega Altaria. I recently bred for myself an Adamant DD Altaria for BS Singles, Doubles, AND Enter the Dragon. Thanks to cloning and editing I have four different spreads. After some careful research ...

44 HP / 252 (+0) / 212 (+1) - Outspeeds Jolly 252 +0 Mega Mence and OHKOes
38 HP / 252 (+1) / 220 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe 252 Greninja and OHKOes barring Sash
20 HP / 252 (+1) / 236 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe Weavile, Swellow, *Darkrai*, and Noivern and OHKOes barring Sash
4 HP / 252 (+1) / 252 (+1) - Outspeeds +Spe *Shaymin-S*, Ties with Meloetta-P, OHKOes both

In ETD, should I run the last spread? In regular BS Singles / Doubles should I run the third spread? Is Weavile enough of a problem outside of low ladder noobs? As it turns out, Ice Shard does 52.9 - 62.7% to that variant. Thanks guys.
I wouldn't bother worrying about shaymin-s. It isn't allowed in regular battle spot, and you can't use it in any tournaments because it automatically reverts into land forme when you put it in your battle box. (I know, I've tried)

Meloetta isn't very common either.

One thing I would look into is base 80 scarfers though. It might be worth at least speed tying with them.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, so I got a Female Sheer Force Totodile so I'm ready to start doing a Dragon Dance Feraligatr set. You guys thinking Jolly or Adamant? The PGL says Adamant but obviously things are a lot different now.

Hey guys, so I got a Female Sheer Force Totodile so I'm ready to start doing a Dragon Dance Feraligatr set. You guys thinking Jolly or Adamant? The PGL says Adamant but obviously things are a lot different now.
Up to you, the only relevant things that Adamant Gatr can't outspeed at +1 while Jolly can are Mega Manectric and Lopunny. Edit: Also Mega Gengar

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well at +1, Gatr's speed can range from 195-214 depending on nature, in this Bracket are: Mega Gengar / Crobat / Aerodactyl / Jolteon (200), Mega Manectric / Mega Lopunny (205), and Electrode / Accelgor (211)... I would recommend going Jolly with 220 speed EVs to get the jump on Mega Manectric at +1 (you can ohko with EQ), this also allows you to beat adamant Dragonite and adamant Excadrill (and other neutral base 80s). Unboosted, you sit between 130-143 which contains: Mega Ttar (135) and Heatran (141) so you can adjust to beat those. The jolly 220 spread I suggested hits 138 at +0 so you still beat Mega Ttar...

I'm having a really hard time with Landorus-T, it's tough to predict if it will be defensive or have choice scarf, or what. What are its most reliable counters?

I'm having a really hard time with Landorus-T, it's tough to predict if it will be defensive or have choice scarf, or what. What are its most reliable counters?
I have my phsical defensive avalugg for that. Superpower 3hkos and uninvested avalanche ohkos back or you can go for recover and recover the hp back if you predict a switch into ferrothorn or something.
252 Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 70-84 (34.8 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Venusaur is pretty reliable to check it and many other physical attackers. Slowbro can work too, I don't think it takes too much from U-turn or Knock Off, especially if mega.

Defensive rotom-w is a pretty safe switchin, to both scarf & defensive landos. Being u-turned on can be annoying but yeah, any lando switch in has to deal with that.

Also, funnily enough, lando is a pretty good switch in to lando. If you wanted to be cheeky you could run HP Ice as well. IIRC, even - SpA nature hp ice 2hkos other landos. (unless they're AV, then its a 3hko woops)

I have my phsical defensive avalugg for that. Superpower 3hkos and uninvested avalanche ohkos back or you can go for recover and recover the hp back if you predict a switch into ferrothorn or something.
252 Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 70-84 (34.8 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Probably way late since a lot of people gave good answers, but I noticed physically defensive trace eviolite porygon2 is in a similar situation, it can freely switch in and intimidate lando, recover (or twave anticipating a switch), and 2hko it. (I'm running this atm; download lets it ohko but it has to be almost fully physically invested to make superpower 3hko)

0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Landorus-T: 132-156 (67.3 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 78-92 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 52-62 (27 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Probably way late since a lot of people gave good answers, but I noticed physically defensive trace eviolite porygon2 is in a similar situation, it can freely switch in and intimidate lando, recover (or twave anticipating a switch), and 2hko it. (I'm running this atm; download lets it ohko but it has to be almost fully physically invested to make superpower 3hko)

0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Landorus-T: 132-156 (67.3 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 78-92 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 52-62 (27 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Well, keep in mind that Superpower drops lando's attack by 1. So you won't need max def to avoid the 2hko.

Well, keep in mind that Superpower drops lando's attack by 1. So you won't need max def to avoid the 2hko.
good point lol I completely forgot that too :P

really i just wanna know how i can make it so i dont have to centralize my team around kanga and aegislash, but I don't know if anyone has an answer to that lol.

I've been wondering if espeon as a dual screener to help dragonite set up and deal with taunters is a good idea, but I'll just have to test it i think.

I dunno about everyone else, but I find playing battle spot on showdown very different (and easier) than wifi. This is due to the team preview...during the battle on showdown, you always have a visual of your opponents team so you can see what they might bring in. On wifi, you have to memorize what they have, then keep them in mind through the battle. Uh, maybe its just me (coughcough yes my username affects it cough) but sometimes, especially if its a stally battle, I totally forget what my opponent may have. Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you deal?

For the upcoming "Enter the Dragon Type" tournament I am looking for a dragon to use in a Sandroom team, anyone got a suggestion?

I dunno about everyone else, but I find playing battle spot on showdown very different (and easier) than wifi. This is due to the team preview...during the battle on showdown, you always have a visual of your opponents team so you can see what they might bring in. On wifi, you have to memorize what they have, then keep them in mind through the battle. Uh, maybe its just me (coughcough yes my username affects it cough) but sometimes, especially if its a stally battle, I totally forget what my opponent may have. Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you deal?
I used to have this problem then I started to take pictures of the teams on my phone and keep it handy beside me. If for some reason you don't have a phone you could always write what they have down on a little notepad or something. A lot of VGC players do that, among other notes, while playing in tournaments.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
For the upcoming "Enter the Dragon Type" tournament I am looking for a dragon to use in a Sandroom team, anyone got a suggestion?
Dialga is the first one that comes to mind as it's a pretty potent Trick Room setter, can beat Fairies and has an immunity to sandstorm damage; other than that, Druddigon makes for a decent abuser thanks to it's slowness (48 base speed iirc, I didn't check) and access to neat things like Sheer Force, Sucker Punch and Gunk Shot. Most other Dragons are pretty fast or else don't have a lot of utility under Trick Room, but if I think of anything else I'll edit it in here. For future reference, though, this might be a more pertinent question to ask in the dedicated Dragon Cup thread - we normally have a thread that goes up whenever these competitions are announced :]

Dialga is the first one that comes to mind as it's a pretty potent Trick Room setter, can beat Fairies and has an immunity to sandstorm damage; other than that, Druddigon makes for a decent abuser thanks to it's slowness (48 base speed iirc, I didn't check) and access to neat things like Sheer Force, Sucker Punch and Gunk Shot. Most other Dragons are pretty fast or else don't have a lot of utility under Trick Room, but if I think of anything else I'll edit it in here. For future reference, though, this might be a more pertinent question to ask in the dedicated Dragon Cup thread - we normally have a thread that goes up whenever these competitions are announced :]
Yeah saw that after I asked the question but didn't wanna spam it :P
An other question, not been doing tournaments in a long time, and having problem with registration all of the sudden.
I thought it was:
BattleSpot -> Online Competition

But that only have the option "Participate" which tells me "There's no competition you can currently participate in.". Am I missing/forgetting something?

Edit: I found that you had to do it on the website, weird, had no memory of doing it that way before o.O

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah saw that after I asked the question but didn't wanna spam it :P
An other question, not been doing tournaments in a long time, and having problem with registration all of the sudden.
I thought it was:
BattleSpot -> Online Competition

But that only have the option "Participate" which tells me "There's no competition you can currently participate in.". Am I missing/forgetting something?
You need to register your account through the Global Link first - just log in and find the competition on your page, and once you're logged in there you'll be allowed to join on your cart.

You need to register your account through the Global Link first - just log in and find the competition on your page, and once you're logged in there you'll be allowed to join on your cart.
Thanks, yeah it seems like I have totally forgotten about the website part of the registration ^^'

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
stonerchris yeah just like NOVED said, I just take photos on my iPhone. I usually do it on snapchat so I don't have to actually go into the camera roll and delete the photo after (I also usually just have it open anyway coz it's the best app ever made). Was pretty awkward when I accidentally uploaded a photo of team preview to my story though haha

Spoonfairy the slowest dragon is Mega Ampharos with 45 base speed. Mega Garchomp works great under Sand but is probably too fast for Trick Room even with a negative nature and 0 speed IVs. If you don't want to run a Mega you can always attach a Macho Brave / Power item to half your speed. I actually tried Macho Brave Mega Rayquaza for a bit before the Generation Showdown, lol

bcgst5 http://www.smogon.com/stats/ is a very useful resource which tells you what's most used on Showdown :) If you want to see spreads you can go date>moveset>the format that you're playing. HydreigonIsOP is pretty much right though Adamant seems to be more popular in Singles. Remember though, that the Showdown ladder is fairly different from the in-game ladder if that's what you're playing. The PGL site lists their own stats by percentage usage as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)