2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
What's new about that? In that sense, almost every manager is a hypocrite. You don't see any one throwing a fit because one of his players got away with something that was red card worthy. And they protest against decisions that were clearly right. That's just how they are. But Barnes DID deserve to be sent off and considering all that has happened so far, there IS a campaign against Chelsea (Not Mourinho). This whole Barnes incident has taken centre stage but I recall that we were also denied a penalty for a clear handball (can't remember who) in that game and not for the first time this season.

Well you don't see other managers coming out the next day giving a 3 hour interview calling it things like criminal tackle. Mourinho is a propaganda machine; he knows how to make fans think Chelsea have been hard done by when he knows they themselves have gotten away with it before.

What makes this episode even more interesting is when you watch the Barnes "tackle" closely - it wasn't even a tackle! Barnes was in possession of the ball, he passes it and immediately afterwards Matic intercepts the ball but puts his leg into the motion of Barnes' swinging leg. When you freeze it at that moment, it looks like Barnes has done a leg-breaker on Matic. But it was in fact Matic who comes in to tackle Barnes. The key point is: Matic was not the one in possession of the ball initially, and Barnes was not attempting to tackle Matic, he was kicking the ball to his team mate which Matic intercepts after Barnes had kicked it and the two legs come together at a very dangerous angle.

For me, that incident could never be a leg-breaker like Eduardo, Ramsey, Zamora and Ben Arfa because Barnes was kicking the ball and you do not have your weight on your kicking leg. Barnes might have been a bit naughty and left his leg a bit to catch Matic deliberately so it was either yellow card if you believe that or no card. The referee got that incident right at least for me, and I'm not trying to wail on Chelsea, just trying to analyse it objectively and in more detail than most of these numbskull pundits who just wanna pander to popular opinion.

Reactions: tml

HBK

Well you don't see other managers coming out the next day giving a 3 hour interview calling it things like criminal tackle. Mourinho is a propaganda machine; he knows how to make fans think Chelsea have been hard done by when he knows they themselves have gotten away with it before.

What makes this episode even more interesting is when you watch the Barnes "tackle" closely - it wasn't even a tackle! Barnes was in possession of the ball, he passes it and immediately afterwards Matic intercepts the ball but puts his leg into the motion of Barnes' swinging leg. When you freeze it at that moment, it looks like Barnes has done a leg-breaker on Matic. But it was in fact Matic who comes in to tackle Barnes. The key point is: Matic was not the one in possession of the ball initially, and Barnes was not attempting to tackle Matic, he was kicking the ball to his team mate which Matic intercepts after Barnes had kicked it and the two legs come together at a very dangerous angle.

For me, that incident could never be a leg-breaker like Eduardo, Ramsey, Zamora and Ben Arfa because Barnes was kicking the ball and you do not have your weight on your kicking leg. Barnes might have been a bit naughty and left his leg a bit to catch Matic deliberately so it was either yellow card if you believe that or no card. The referee got that incident right at least for me, and I'm not trying to wail on Chelsea, just trying to analyse it objectively and in more detail than most of these numbskull pundits who just wanna pander to popular opinion.
Who was trying to tackle who is irrelevant. What Barnes did can't be excused by the fact that Matic was the tackler and not the tacklee. He made no effort to move his leg away, and even if there wasn't much force in it initially, he stepped on it and put his weight behind it. And Barnes fouled Matic TWICE without being punished before he lost it. For those, he deserved two yellows if not a red.

HBK

Still expect Dortmund to go through, that away goal could come in handy and they're more experienced when it comes to the knockout stages of the CL. City are pretty much out. It was initially hard to decide which game to watch but it got easy really fast.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
matic's ban got reduced to 2 games from 3 and that is fucking ludicrous from the fa. he's committed violent conduct regardless of what ashley barnes did, 3 game ban should stand. they've set a really stupid precedent here which they sure as hell won't follow with future appeals so its just a huge bottlejob

unlucky phalanx i put a naughty 2-1 barca scorecast on which was nearly ruined by messi

edit: wow hbk actually thinks there is a campaign against chelsea hahahaha mourinho is really good

monaco winning 1-0 away from home

if they keep up their amazing bus parking skills (1 goal conceded in last 10 league games wtf) they can actually get quite far in the competition

HBK

Lol Arsenal losing 2-0 at home to Monaco, would've been 4-0 by now if they'd been paired with Bayern. Leverkusen are leading through a great goal from Calhanoglu but I still expect Atlético to go through.

Last edited:
I get really annoyed when Giroud is labelled underrated, if anything he is overrated. He had 6 chances, 3 of which were very clear big chances and he skied them all. He is an above-average big man, the French Rickie Lambert if I'm being generous. The only thing he can do is give the ball back where it came from, he can't turn someone or run past someone so he is so easy to predict. He can't create any chances himself, his teammates have to give the perfect ball to him.

Second rant is at Mertesacker and I've kept quiet all season but he has been very poor; in fact all of our defeats this season have come from Mertesacker's mistakes. He has somehow developed a habit for striding forward into the opposition half but he doesn't do it on the ball - he does it off the ball! He just randomly charges forward, doesn't receive the ball or make a tackle, leaves the space he was occupying completely open and Koscielny is left looking at two players he's now supposed to defend against... I honestly don't know what he's thinking. The defeat against Man U was because of this, the defeat against Swansea, and the defeat against Southampton are all because Mertesacker spent the entire time randomly charging forward at random times leaving Koscielny exposed all match. I think I've figured out that while he's great at anticipating what's in front of him, he doesn't sense danger behind him. The third Monaco goal was Mertesacker's fault too because as soon as the ball is lost, Mertesacker should have noticed that Koscielny is not in his position so he has to spot that Carrasco was level with him and wanting the ball played through so he has to start sprinting back to cover. But no he just stares at the play until the inevitable through ball sets Carrasco away and then he starts running and he was never gonna get close.

Apart from those two poor performances though, it wasn't actually too bad. Monaco started the game pretty much with 4-6-0, Berbatov didn't touch the ball anywhere near the box in the first half while they only had one player manage a touch in our box. They scored a deflected shot which I can't blame Mertesacker for, he did the right thing and I'd be happy to concede from pot shots like that and we were comfortable in the game. We had lots of chances and looked very dangerous going forward. Walcott especially didn't actually have too many touches but he was practically on the shoulder of the left back the whole time when he came on, just behind him where he can't see, and the centre back had to cover several times because Walcott was racing clear. Monaco doubled up on Walcott soon after by sending on another left back. It was just horrific individual errors in defending yet again. For the defeat Wenger has to take blame too because he had no natural midfielders at all on the bench. Wilshere was left behind and he ended the game with Oxlade Chamberlain and Rosicky in central midfield and they were never gonna be bothered to defend. It was naive and I think Wenger got a bit cocky with his selection and tactics tonight.

In summary: sorry for the long post.

The PL is just embarrassing, full of shit overpaid teams. Everyone from the managers to the players are far too cocky, managers playing weakened teams in Europe and players thinking they can just turn up and win. Only one who gets it right is Mourinho and he's a dick. I might start watching the Bundesliga or something for a change.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The PL is just embarrassing, full of shit overpaid teams. Everyone from the managers to the players are far too cocky, managers playing weakened teams in Europe and players thinking they can just turn up and win.

Maybe they're fielding weakened teams because the English fixture list is one of the harshest of any league in Europe (the world?). Spurs have played 22 games in the last 3 months; Fiorentina only 16. Arsenal have played 18 to Monaco's 12. And the general standard of opposition of those games is considerably higher too.

You cannot be surprised that the English teams look sluggish against continental opposition, or that the managers often choose to rotate. Your anger should not be directed at the 'cocky' managers as they're the true victims of this, certainly not the fans who get to watch their team nearly 2 dozen times in 12 weeks...

Perhaps you're right. I was being too harsh there because it's not the manager's fault that they rotate. It's all down to money. Getting into the top 4 is the no.1 priority so they have to treat every other competition as less important concerns. But research has shown that 2 days between football matches allows the body to recover fully physically - it's the mental aspect that might be a problem. Plus the hectic schedule allows less time to coach tactics.

But even still there has been a drop in European results for PL teams in recent years, not too long ago we were looking at 4 teams from England being in the semi finals of the CL and teams like Fulham and Middlesborough making a charge up the Europa League. The fixture schedule hasn't gotten any tougher since then. And that was the time when there were fears the PL teams were about to dominate Europe and I thought English football (and the national team) were looking good for the future. The money has kept rolling in but the Spanish and German teams have improved and not the English ones. There's so many factors at play but the English game has to collectively recognise that there are a lot of things going wrong: development of players, fixture scheduling, tactical incompetence (which goes way back) and this arrogance about the standard of our teams when traditionally, English teams have been shit compared to their European counterparts. All in all, the best teams in England are far from the best in Europe. It's just disappointing to see all that time and investment not improving anything for the teams or fans.

As far as hectic schedules go, I heard Brazil is pretty bad too.

how does wenger retain his job season after season, dissapointing result after dissapointing result? idk whats crazier, the fact that this man has not been fired yet although arsenal has been incompetent for almost a decade, or the fact that arsenal fans actually want him back! its crazy. if another big european club such as barcelona, bayern, or chelsea were to endure such embarassing losses season after season the manager would be GONE. but wenger stays. can an arsenal fan explain this to me?

HBK

I guess the reason he hasn't been sacked yet is because unlike a certain Russian billionaire, Arsenal's owners don't really care about trophies. They look at the club as more of a business enterprise than a football club. Clearly, they're content with Champions League qualification and the money that comes with it and not spending millions on players like United, City or Chelsea.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Because Arsenal is only a 'big European club' because of Wenger?

Because a lot of his transgressions relate to him overseeing the transition to a new stadium at which point he was pretty much told by the board, 'yeah, we're just gonna abandon ambition for the next decade.' People go on about how (until last season), Arsenal hadn't won a trophy since 2005 - one could also look at it as 'Arsenal hadn't won a trophy since they left Highbury.' But through this turbulent period, he has managed to guarantee not only Champion's League football but knockout stage Champion's League football.

Season after season he has delivered far beyond what Arsenal fans can realistically hope for. They cannot expect to compete with the likes of Chelsea, City, Barcelona or Real Madrid and the reason for that is certainly not Wenger. (hint: £££€€€$$$)

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
If we look at Return on Investment, Wenger has them all beat... except perhaps late 90s-early 2000s Ferguson. Consistently on top of that.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Exactly. I think, as an Arsenal fan, you'd be within your rights to expect three things at the start of a season:

a) A top 4 finish
b) A good run in the domestic cups.
c) Reaching the knockout stages of the Champion's League.

Achieving 2/3 of those could be considered a successful season but Wenger consistently achieves all 3. What do you want from him? To win the freakin' treble? Give him a Russian oil baron or an Arab Prince and I suspect he probably will but until then you need to accept that no other manager could replace him and do anywhere near as well. If Wenger goes, I would expect a situation similar to post-Ferguson Man Utd where the fans are excruciatingly educated on just how good they had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)