ORAS OU Passing (Nasty) Plots - Mega Altaria Offense

Passing (Nasty) Plots - Mega Altaria Offense
*Graphics here belong to their respective owners.

Introduction

Good day to you guys! I'm Gareth, and I whipped this team up just a few weeks back. As you might've noticed, there's a Generation of Miracles picture above. I'd save the reason for that later. I hope you like it, and please do give suggestions at the end okay? I am quite new to the whole RMT thing, so please tell me changes and all to further improve this awesome team. Without further ado, let's begin.

Teambuilding Process
Here’s how I managed to come up with this squad.

Heatran - I wanted to use Heatran as part of a certain core I saw at the ORAS OU Good Cores thread. I wanted it to be a stallbreaker at first, but its Choice Scarf set worked better for me in the long run.

Azumarill - Also part of the aforementioned core was Azumarill. It was supposed to hold an Assault Vest, but I changed it to a Choice Band set so that it breaks specially defensive Pokemon better, since my main selling point would be Baton Passing Nasty Plot boosts around.

Celebi - This was my recommended substitute for Mega Sceptile by Master Sunny-EX. Celebi is a good user of Baton Pass given its wide movepool whilst maintaining great bulk. It would also be a great momentum grabber at times.

Landorus-Therian - Landorus-Therian always fitted the bill for me as a great Stealth Rock setter whilst maintaining offensive presence and good bulk via Intimidate.

Rotom-Wash - Along with Landorus-Therian, Rotom-Wash was my go-to Pokemon with Volt-Turn support. It also takes hits from the ever-prominent Birdspam whilst softening physical attacks (and providing chip damage) with Will-O-Wisp.

Mega Altaria - Mega Altaria was also a recommended recipient of Nasty Plot as it would be a good answer against Mega Charizard X/Y. It also boasts good offensive stats and bulk so that it makes full use of Nasty Plot.

In-Depth Look
I’m no Satsuki Momoi, but I know how to manage my players well. Here are the members of my squad.

Akashi (Heatran) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

“My orders are absolute.” – Seijuro Akashi

Akashi is the absolute beast, like Heatran. This Heatran set is used as a revenge killer, as without it opposing Mega Altaria will demolish the team apart, especially the Dragon Dance variants. It’s also nifty to surprise-kill things like Weavile who expect to be faster than Heatran. The moves here are quite standard and all, and Overheat is used since I can Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts to it via Celebi Fire Blast is there to provide consistent STAB (as suggested by Cheek Pouch ). Stone Edge is used so it’ll fare better against the likes of Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona.

Kuroko (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 8 SpD / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Recover

(Suggested set by Master Sunny-EX)
Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 180 HP / 40 SpA / 180 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass

"I am a supporting actor, a shadow." – Tetsuya Kuroko

This Celebi uses a NastyPass set to support its team, like the “Phantom Sixth Man” Kuroko. I wanted something to pass around boosts for my teammates so they’ll hit noticeably harder. Also, I really like the idea of free switches so Baton Pass is there to switch into a more favorable match-up. I don’t intend sweeping though, but if I see the opportunity to do so, I’ll take it. The EVs on this Celebi are just enough to speed-creep Jolly Bisharp (Bisharp is generally a big pain on this team, but let’s dive into that later on.), as well as putting the remaining EVs to bulk so it takes hits better. I won’t run it any faster as to move last with Baton Pass, getting the recipient unscathed.

EDIT: The Colbur Berry set was suggested to deal with Bisharp better.
EDIT2: I had Celebi learn Leaf Storm to surprise kill things as well, shooting up my power benchmarks noticeably (as suggested by Cheek Pouch )
EDIT3: Let it have Giga Drain again for reliable STAB.

Aomine (Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

“The only one who can beat me, is me.” – Daiki Aomine

Our blue bunny breaks a lot of faces, like its counterpart Aomine. Azumarill is my primary answer against fat special walls like Chansey and Clefable, who wall my Nasty Plot benefactors even at +6. I made it hold a Choice Band so it provides immediate wallbreaking power since its main job is taking down walls so others can go forth and sweep later on. I run 2 Water-type STABs since my other teammates can work on item removal instead via Knock Off. This thing also sponges hits from other Pokemon if Heatran and Celebi can’t handle it.

Murasakibara (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
"'I hate practice but I hate losing even more." - Atsushi Murasakibara

The two big guys are quite large and intimidating, right? Giving VoltTurn support is Landorus-Therian. It acts as my setter of Stealth Rock (a necessity in pretty much all teams), as well as providing safe switches to my other teammates. I wanted to use Heatran as a Stealth Rock setter at first, but it’s quite prone to the likes of Terrakion and Garchomp. I run Knock Off since Volt-Turn teams love item removal. Landorus-Therian also lowers Attack by Intimidate so my other teammates can take softened hits better.

Kise (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

"... I never forget to return a favour" - Ryota Kise

Kise has this swoon-worthy and dashing smile, making Rotom-Wash the perfect counterpart. Rotom-Wash provides pivoting opportunities for the other teammates. It’s also the go-to Pokemon of mine to handle those birds that are a threat to a lot of teams. Rotom-Wash is also a good Nasty Plot recipient with its passable Special Attack stat. As you might have noticed I ran 128 Speed EVs; quite too much for the normal enough-for-BD-Azumarill one. The reason why I did this is to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, crippling it by Will-O-Wisp. Believe me – Swords Dance Bisharp is a pain for this team. (As suggested by Cyndequil)

Midorima (Altaria-Mega) (M) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

"There's not a single player on this team who's a hindrance." - Shintaro Midorima

Midorima believes that everyone in a team contributes to its victory, like Mega Altaria. Mega Altaria is my bulky special attacker, providing key resistances to a lot of. It is my main recipient of Nasty Plot, and it boasts quite the good offensive firepower as well. I find the Roost + 3 Attacks variant a good fit on this team, luring in would-be checks to the expected Dragon Dance set (a normal Heatran gets 2HKOed by Earthquake, Scizor gets annihilated by Fire Blast, etc.) I suppose I could run a few more EVs into bulk, but the spread here puts in more offensive firepower in most matches.

Threat List
Even if the Generation of Miracles are practically overpowered in the anime, my team is not as OP as them. Here are the few Pokemon that threaten this team.

Mamoswine: Life Orb or otherwise, Mamoswine can be quite the trouble sometimes. No one in my team is a safe switch-in to the beast.

Kyurem-Black: Good coverage moves means it can rip through the team flat. Scarfed variants are rather easy to deal with, but the Substitute variants are more the problem. (Fusion Bolt, Ice Beam and Earth Power will usually do the trick.)

Bisharp: Swords Dance variants can just plow with Sucker Punch and all. Since my team only outspeeds the Adamant ones, the Jolly variants can outspeed and take down the team.

Thundurus: Its flexibility means that it can hit the team for at least neutral damage. It can sack (and cripple) my squad with Prankster Thunder Wave.

Stealth Rock hurts this team as well (given the fact I use Volt-Turn for the most part), making them easy to wear down.

Sticky Web's a decent mention, as passing Speed drops is horrible.

(A few other threats go here too)

Importable

Akashi (Heatran) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Shout-outs!

Master Sunny-EX for telling the necessary steps to take in order to improve this team.

Cyndequil for sharing insights about this team. He was the one to say my team was kind of Bisharp weak too.

Latios pls for giving his opinions on the sets I run on this team.

I might’ve missed a few people but you’ll feel the love.

Concluding Message

Again I am Gareth, and I hope you liked this team of mine! Please do leave things on what I can change to further improve this team.

Last edited:
Ahaha thank you gor the shoutout! Nice team friend! Some suggestions that you might find to your use...against stuff like Heatran and Scizor don't be scared to delay the Mega Evolution! These Pokemon often carry moves like Flash Cannon and Bullet Punch to force you out, so if you see either one of these Pokemon on the opponents team delaying Mega Evolution to constantly force the other two two out by din't of not having your Fairy typing just yet can be useful :). I really like Stone Edge Heatran innovation to be honest, and there is one thing that you might ocnsider running on your team since Bisharp seem to be such a big threat! NP/Earth Power Celebi @ Colbur berry and enough Special Attack EVs to OHKO both Bisharp and Heatran after Nasty Plot(which I imagine would not be many?). Also here's a good replay of this team beating Tele like I told you :x. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-211140292 (Enjoy the NaCl.10H2O)

Ahaha thank you gor the shoutout! Nice team friend! Some suggestions that you might find to your use...against stuff like Heatran and Scizor don't be scared to delay the Mega Evolution! These Pokemon often carry moves like Flash Cannon and Bullet Punch to force you out, so if you see either one of these Pokemon on the opponents team delaying Mega Evolution to constantly force the other two two out by din't of not having your Fairy typing just yet can be useful :). I really like Stone Edge Heatran innovation to be honest, and there is one thing that you might ocnsider running on your team since Bisharp seem to be such a big threat! NP/Earth Power Celebi @ Colbur berry and enough Special Attack EVs to OHKO both Bisharp and Heatran after Nasty Plot(which I imagine would not be many?). Also here's a good replay of this team beating Tele like I told you :x. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-211140292 (Enjoy the NaCl.10H2O)
Looks good, as I could beat Bisharp more reliably. I'll be adding that Colbur Berry set in.

YAS! Nice, Kuroko no Basket! Love that anime! Though, I prefer Haikyuu.
You have a pretty cool team, though. Not much I can do here because I'm inexperienced, but yea it looks great.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is the basketball anime OMG. Murasakibara was my nigggggaaaaa.

Okay an actual rate.

I think it would be worth looking into a 2 attack/roost/sun set on MAlt, as you have a decent amount of answers to Heatran, especially if using the Colbur Berry set (your tran EP's, Lando EQ's, Azu is Azu, Wash can HPump, and Colbur Cel can EP)

If you're gonna NPass to Heatran you should just go Fire Blast since a +2 Fire Blast can nuke an entire team while a +2 Overheat annihilates one pokemon, but it'll get progressively weaker, ruining the pass.

On that note, it could be very interesting to try Leaf Storm on Celebi over Giga Drain, since you have Nasty Plot to boost back up. Recover and Lefties should be more than enough recovery.

Hope I could help. Good looking squad.

Also I see everyone here is a fan of basketball anime! The best was Slam Dunk tho :). One thing worth noting is how Mega Charizard Y with Earthquake kind of wrecks this team, so if you really want you COULD switch Mega Altaria to a more defensive spread. But that's just nitpicking to be honest,every team has its bad match ups and the point of this team is just to spam powerful attacks until nothing is left on the other side of the field so I guess you can live with it. Mega Altaria's nature COULD be made Timid in order to beat the sudden influx of Jolly Sharp but again that's more of a tweak than a rate. Another tweak that you could go for is a faster Celebi going all the way upto 263 speed and putting any Bisharp into a checkmate situation. I admit that having such a fast Celebi makes getting your incoming team mate in much harder, but Bisharp is just annoying.

And we would like to show you that we don't care? Don't be an ass ._. Nobody cares if you can beat someone with your scrubby Smash Pass team. Didn't your momma ever teach you if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it? Now please gtfo

I was being nice, not an ass. There is a glaring vulnerability in this team; I'm absolutely stunned that you can't see it.

My momma might have said that while I was busy getting freaky with yours. I apologize.

Got all your inputs, thanks for looking at it!
This is the basketball anime OMG. Murasakibara was my nigggggaaaaa.

Okay an actual rate.

I think it would be worth looking into a 2 attack/roost/sun set on MAlt, as you have a decent amount of answers to Heatran, especially if using the Colbur Berry set (your tran EP's, Lando EQ's, Azu is Azu, Wash can HPump, and Colbur Cel can EP)

If you're gonna NPass to Heatran you should just go Fire Blast since a +2 Fire Blast can nuke an entire team while a +2 Overheat annihilates one pokemon, but it'll get progressively weaker, ruining the pass.

On that note, it could be very interesting to try Leaf Storm on Celebi over Giga Drain, since you have Nasty Plot to boost back up. Recover and Lefties should be more than enough recovery.

Hope I could help. Good looking squad.
The Sun part of Mega Altaria set is quite the part I don't understand. Everything else though, it looks quite interesting. I'll edit the Heatran set to have Fire Blast, and have Celebi learn Leaf Storm. I'd still test Leaf Storm, as having a stage off the SpA stat mean it's quite hard to pass enough.

EDIT: Had problems with Leaf Storm. I'd hold off on that for now.

Also I see everyone here is a fan of basketball anime! The best was Slam Dunk tho :). One thing worth noting is how Mega Charizard Y with Earthquake kind of wrecks this team, so if you really want you COULD switch Mega Altaria to a more defensive spread. But that's just nitpicking to be honest,every team has its bad match ups and the point of this team is just to spam powerful attacks until nothing is left on the other side of the field so I guess you can live with it. Mega Altaria's nature COULD be made Timid in order to beat the sudden influx of Jolly Sharp but again that's more of a tweak than a rate. Another tweak that you could go for is a faster Celebi going all the way upto 263 speed and putting any Bisharp into a checkmate situation. I admit that having such a fast Celebi makes getting your incoming team mate in much harder, but Bisharp is just annoying.
Got it man, but I think Bisharp handled better now, even more reliably with the Colbur Berry one. Also, Earthquake Mega Charizard Y can prove quite problematic though. I'll make Mega Altaria remain though.

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would like to show you how I can crap all over this team using just RU/NU pokemon. Let's battle.
I was being nice, not an ass. There is a glaring vulnerability in this team; I'm absolutely stunned that you can't see it.

My momma might have said that while I was busy getting freaky with yours. I apologize.
Maybe you're daft and haven't read the rules to how to rate an RMT, so I'll leave those underneath this.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-rate.3490985/

Clearly you're a troll, but I'll try to help you. Please be productive with your rates.

nice kuroko but slam dunk is better first off this team is bisharp is a threat to this team as stated before. Seeing as you have altaria I feel that keldeo over azu will help you beat bisharp and also a nice mon to abuse baton pass.
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

nice kuroko but slam dunk is better first off this team is bisharp is a threat to this team as stated before. Seeing as you have altaria I feel that keldeo over azu will help you beat bisharp and also a nice mon to abuse baton pass.
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
Sunny at one time told me that I can do as stated, but I went for Azumarill as to be more of a threat to Lati@s and fat special walls. Keldeo's a great Pokemon but I really think Azumarill should stay. It's nice to have at least one physical attacker for safety. (I know there's Secret Sword but yeah, Azu > Keldeo in my case) Thanks for leaving a rate!

I love the team, but the one suggestion I would make is to change Earthquake on Altaria into Dragon Pulse. That way, you can hit Fire types with STAB, and while it might not give you a super effective hit, it will use your special attack well.

I love the team, but the one suggestion I would make is to change Earthquake on Altaria into Dragon Pulse. That way, you can hit Fire types with STAB, and while it might not give you a super effective hit, it will use your special attack well.
I got you there, but it unfortunately leaves Altaria helpless against Heatran and other Steel-types. Going Earthquake makes sure I nab other Poison-types too, as well as rounding off my coverage well. Thanks for the rate! :)

wouldn't HP Ground hit harder after NP(s)?

0- Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 268-316 (69.6 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Mega Altaria Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 372-440 (96.6 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)