Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

A FWG Core,since Virizion dropped to NU I wanted to try out the SD Set.It paired well with Mega Camerupt and I decided to use Pelipper along with these 2 mons since it functions as a relatively good pivot and it is a good Mega Steelix check,Mega Camerupt check,Hazard Control,Fighting check & Gatr check not only that it also has U-turn which doesn't kill the momentum of your team.The speed EVs on Mega Camerupt allow you to outspeed stuff like Quagsire,Mega Steelix,Rhydon and other base 50 speed uninterested mons even after Mega Evolving.

Last edited:
fast mega camerupt is actually really viable as it outspeeds base 50's which is a really common defensive speed tier. P much any megarupt that I run nowadays has max speed so that i can outspeed yama that only runs 4 speed, vileplume, and p much any variant of mega steelix. i'd maybe include wisp or sub as a slash for hp grass tho so that you can burn yama or sub up on a predicted switch
Yes,Exactly I have won matches just because I ran alot more speed than what people expect Mega rupt to run,I slashed HP Grass with WoW & Sub,Thanks for your suggestion.

While outpseeding those mons is nice, I feel that camel really should invest in as much bulk as possible. I guess at most you should go with enough for like 8 Speed mlix, but 244 is way too much imo. Archeops is not that much of a threat to this core as it shouldnt be running a Rock-type move, Acrobatics + EQ is all it really needs; thus handled fairly well by Pelipper provided you can keep it at full. Let me know when you've made these changes or if you have any questions.
I guess its all about personal preference,you can run more bulk but there are times where your opponent will stay in with stuff like Rhydon or Mega Steelix on your rupt so alot of speed can be pretty useful.You are right about archeops I just happened to get screwed over by a acro/eq/knock off/stone edge all out archeops so that's why I mentioned it,I have made necessary changes,Please let me know If I need to make any further changes,Thank you for your time.

In this meta, HP Water is much better on Rotom-S to hit Mega Steelix and Mega Camerupt, and Volt Switch should be used over Tbolt imo.
With the new drops in Virizion, Heliolisk, and Quag, SD Gatr is completely outclassed by DD gatr, as having the extra speed boost to outspeed heliolisk and kill it with EQ and smack Virizion with Ice Punch is much better. Maybe even consider Scarf Rotom-S to outspeed Virizion, as Stone Edge hurts a lot.
With that core, HP Grass is far better. It's more important to be able to OHKO the things that give Feraligatr problems (mainly Seismitoad and Quagsire) than it is to hit Camerupt, a Pokemon that you already have covered with Feraligatr. It's more important to run sets that offer synergy for the rest of your team than it is to run standard sets.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+

Physically defensive Gourgeist and specially defensive Prinplup form a really solid defensive core that cover a lot of threats in this metagame. You can opt to run a more specially defensive build on Gourgeist to better take on Heliolisk if you're extremely weak to it, but only hp flying variants give you trouble anyways. Fire types are handled nicely by Prinplup, iirc specs Typhlosion's Eruption is like a 4HKO on Prinplup after rocks which is pretty nice. Core struggles with Prinplup taking repeated hits and not being able to stop Volt Switch momentum gains. Support with Ground-type and Wish user and ur set.
Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Surf
- Dark Pulse

You know what are the two biggest hard stops to SD Virizion, regardless of its coverage move? Gourgeist-Super and bulky Exeggutor. You know what can brutally surprise those two, while luring the former into its doom? People have gone on to praise Gourgeist as one of the hardest Heliolisk stops in the meta, but even ignoring the fact that Gourgeist is super passive and vulnerable to the dozens of Volt Switch recipients Heliolisk has for partners, Dark Pulse can just blast Gourgeist for a lot of damage and most likely rendering it unable to wall much else in the future. Heliolisk can even trouble opponents Virizion would have missed out on without Stone Edge, such as Xatu, Scyther, and Rotom-S. Meanwhile, you won't miss Grass Knot or Focus Blast on Heliolisk very much since Virizion easily blazes through Seismitoad, Ferroseed, and Cradily.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
or

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Surf
- Grass Knot
Pyroar (F) @ Flame Plate
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Grass
- Extrasensory

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Zen Headbutt
Mawile (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Fire Blast

From the np thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-stage-4-celebration.3528871/page-4#post-6034779 I don't really have anything to add

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Not sure how much longer we'll have our friend Feraligatr here in NU, so I figured I'd help someone trying to build with it out. Feraligatr hates bulky Grass- and Water-type Pokemon such as Gourgeist, Ferroseed, Ludicolo, and Poliwrath. Xatu is great for dealing with more defensive Pokemon that you can't quite break with a single boost. Xatu can bounce back Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed from Gourgeist, and Spikes and Stealth Rock from Ferroseed. Scyther can OHKO Ludicolo and Poliwrath while they fail to OHKO Scyther in return with their best coverage move. In addtition both Xatu and Scyther can U-turn out of unfavorable matchups and give Feraligatr set-up opportunities. However, three Pokemon weak to Electric-type attacks is kinda sketch, so I'd defintiely make a Ground-type Pokemon or an Electric immunity as your next member.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 264-311 (87.7 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

feraligatr doesnt really fear ludicolo, it OHKOs it after SR. If you run Crunch over Earthquake, it has a solid chance even without. Perhaps a Grass-type like Vileplume would work over Scyther, as it patches up the Electric resistance already, and easily deals with Poliwrath. Ludicolo is also dealt with, as it'd use giga drain against gatr if you don't yet have a boost when ludicolo comes in.

+

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 184 HP / 64 Def / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Giga Drain

Samurott @ Mystic Water
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Basic mons for your bulky offense in the tier right now. What stops SD Samurott in its tracks? On the top of my head Vileplume, Seismitoad, Quagsire, Mantine, Ferroseed. Uxie can set up on all of those mons. This core loves T-spikes so Garbodor is a very good teammate. Samurott can also check Malamar for Uxie.

Bulky Offence

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch

Prinplup @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Grass Knot
- Toxic

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The Prob+Plume+Prin core offers decent switch-in options to the NU metagame atm!

Prinplup
is here to get rid of rocks and somewhat stop fire spam.
(It gets worn down quickly by SR and taking residual damage on the switch into Typh and or Pyroar.)

Probopass has a niche in this core to set up rocks and get initiative with Volt Switch.
The Air Balloon is there so it has a chance against Archeops.
It also covers Flying spam pretty nicely! (now that Mega-Lix is gone.)

Vileplume is the main switch-in to the likes of Fighting moves.
Mainly mons like Sawk and Gurdurr.
248 HP / 8 Def lets you live Adamant Banded Sawk's Ice Punch with no prior damage.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bulky Offence

Probopass @ Air Balloon
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch

Prinplup @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Grass Knot
- Toxic

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The Prob+Plume+Prin core offers decent switch-in options to the NU metagame atm!
Prinplup is here to get rid of rocks and somewhat stop fire spam.
(It gets worn down quickly by SR and taking residual damage on the switch into Typh and or Pyroar.)

Probopass has a niche in this core to set up rocks and get initiative with Volt Switch.
The Air Balloon is there so it has a chance against Archeops.
It also covers Flying spam pretty nicely! (now that Mega-Lix is gone.)

Vileplume is the main switch-in to the likes of Fighting moves.
Mainly mons like Sawk and Gurdurr.
248 HP / 8 Def lets you live Adamant Banded Sawk's Ice Punch with no prior damage.
So, this core does pretty poorly against Typhlosion. I know you mention it, but you say Prinplup is something of a stop to Fire spam, which just isn't true.

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Prinplup: 138-163 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Which is a shaky check at best, because you really need something that can just flat out switch into Typhlosion and force it out, because Vileplume and Probopass are straight OHKOed and 2HKOed by Eruption, respecitvely. And I know it's been losing popularity lately, but personally I think Mantine does better than Prinplup in this core. It still Defogs, can run Leftovers, and has a much better time dealing with Typhlosion. And you don't lose out on having a Stealth Rock + Defog Pokemon, because you're not running Stealth Rock on Prinplup anyway, so we're all good there.
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 92-108 (27.6 - 32.4%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
So, this core does pretty poorly against Typhlosion. I know you mention it, but you say Prinplup is something of a stop to Fire spam, which just isn't true.

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Prinplup: 138-163 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Which is a shaky check at best, because you really need something that can just flat out switch into Typhlosion and force it out, because Vileplume and Probopass are straight OHKOed and 2HKOed by Eruption, respecitvely. And I know it's been losing popularity lately, but personally I think Mantine does better than Prinplup in this core. It still Defogs, can run Leftovers, and has a much better time dealing with Typhlosion. And you don't lose out on having a Stealth Rock + Defog Pokemon, because you're not running Stealth Rock on Prinplup anyway, so we're all good there.
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 92-108 (27.6 - 32.4%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Prinplup: 93-109 (28 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO nice eviolite you got there budE

+

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Aqua Tail

Thought I'd post this Normal-spam core I've been using lately. With the recent departure of Mega Steelix, there are only a few reliable resists to Normal-type in the tier, of which you usually need two of in order to stop both Tauros and Kangaskhan. Tauros breaks through Steel-types for Kangaskhan, most notably being able to take out defensive Mawile with a combination of Rock Climb + Fire Blast with just a little bit of prior damage. Kangaskhan takes care of Ghost-types due to its Scrappy ability and can afford running Aqua Tail to severly weaken Rock-type switchins, especially Rhydon. Once that is done, STAB Rock Climb and Double Edge will crush dreams and end marriages.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
+

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Seed Bomb
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch / Seed Bomb

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Rapid Spin

These two have been an amazing hazard stacking / preventing core that I have had a ton of success with. Garbodor is able to easily set hazards thanks to it being a great Fighting check and backed by a powerful STAB move in Gunk Shot, meaning Xatu cannot freely switch in like it wants to. Seed Bomb can be used over Drain Punch as Seismitoad is a problem to this core thanks to its dual STAB or over Toxic Spikes if you wanna keep the recovery and don't need the pressure of Toxic Spikes. Claydol has been amazing in my opinion since it dropped at the beginning of March, boasting great 60 / 105 / 120 bulk while having decent STABs to take on a lot of NU threats, such as Fire-types and Yama. Set is standard offensive Claydol except choice of Psychic STAB depends on if you wanna hit harder overall or if Yama is a problem to the team. Good partners for this core are something to take on Seismitoad such as Special Cacturne and Fire-spam such as Yama (that thing fits on every team I swear gdi lol). Anyways, thought I would share this because I am loving NU and I wanted to start contributing to show that love to everyone in NU, :P

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My turn :D

+

Offensive Core
xzern (Zangoose) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat

gottagokiyo (Scyther) @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

These two Pokemon form a deadly offensive core that smothers offensive and defensive teams alike. Zangoose acts as the wallbreaker, punching holes in defensive cores in order to clear the way for a late game Scyther sweep. Now, what does Sycther hate? Rock and Steel types. Every single Rock or Steel type Pokemon in the tier is 2HKOed by Adamant Zangoose's Close Combat. While this does require a certain level of prediction, all of these targeted Pokemon (Rhydon, Regirock, Mawile, Klinklang, etc) have no reliable recovery and thus get whittled and worn down very quickly, which is very important. On the flip side, Scyther easily wards off and sets up on the Fighting types that Zangoose hates (bar your occasional Stone Edge Sawk) thanks the the respectable bulk given with max HP and an Eviolite. The sets are relatively standard for both of the two Pokemon with the exception of U-turn on Scyther. While it may seem like a bad idea to waste the boosts, Knock Off generally isnt that great and Scyther's dual STAB combo is meh, so keeping up offensive momentum is really useful. Good teammates for this core include Volt Switch users such as Rotom, Lanturn, and Zebstrika, and entry hazard removal from Pokemon such as Claydol, Prinplup, and Cryogonal.

252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 192-228 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 226-266 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I'm not showing probopass rofl

+

Balanced Core
Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Air Slash
- Toxic

These two Pokemon form an excellent balanced core that can fit on various teams due to their great type synergy. Rhydon acts as a solid check to common Normal, Flying, and Fire types such as Kangaskhan, Swellow, and Tyhplosion while providing Stealth Rock support. The given EV spread hits a jump point in Attack and with the rest in SpD since its defense is already sky high. Mantine covers all of Rhydon's weaknesses quite well, being immune to Water and Ground-type attacks from the likes of Samurott, Seismitoad, Ludicolo, Mega Camerupt, and Sandslash, and chewing up most Grass-type attacks with its great special bulk. Despite not having the greatest defense, Mantine provides a soft check to Fighting-types as it threatens them with a Scald burn on a super effective Air Slash (more useful in the case of Gurdurr), as well as Defog support since Rhydon can get quickly worn down by Spikes. This EV spread hits a jump point in Special Defense and outspeeds max Speed Adamant Rhydon since dual dance Rhydon is a very potent threat and taking just a few EVs out of a defensive stat doesnt hurt much. This core doesnt need too much support, but a Grass-type such as Vileplume, Tangela, or Lilligant is quite helpful since Lanturn is a major threat to this core.

Offensive Core

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Encore

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance / Knock Off

A really cool core that focuses on trapping ghost-types with Liepard so that Zangoose can freely spam Facade or setup a Swords Dance and proceed to Quick Attack everything. The reason Liepard is being used over another pursuit trapper, like Sneasel, is because Liepard has access to U-Turn which is very useful for getting Zangoose's Toxic Orb activated. Liepard tends to force a lot of switches because of its prankster Encore, so Liepard has lots of opportunities to click U-Turn. Some great partners for this core are those that appreciate Ghost and Psychic types gone, such as a banded/scarfed Sawk, or Psychic types that get smacked by Shadow Ball. Bulky Grounds and Lanturn are good partners too because they block Volt Switch so Liepard has an easier time trapping Rotom. Burns and Memento can help Zangoose with setting up.

Last edited:

Vibrava (F) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Vileplume (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

Probopass (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

This is a great momentum based defensive core that basically covers all the necessary bases in hazards and status.​

Vibrava is great at switching in and out from things like typhlosion, magmortar, megacamel, poison types (not weezing), electric types, and can come in vs SpD rhydon fairly well.

Plume comes in on the vast majority of phyisical attackers. Even if it gets predicted by say a sawk ice punch u can always tank the hit and double switch out so you can recover up later.

Probopass is great for switching into and trapping most steel types such as mawile and killing them with earth power. This is very useful because steel types are gaining popularity since mega-lix left. Probopass is the rock setter.

The main problems for this defensive core are things like malamar, samurott, archeops, sneasal (if fighting coverage), and ludicolo.

Make sure you get some offensive checks to those mons when finishing off your team. The defensive core should support the offensive one so as long as they can't gain momentum from using those mons you should be good to go.

I recomend guts users, offensive things that are immune to water, bug types for malamar, and whatever the hell deals with archeops :/

Last edited:

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Vibrava (F) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Vileplume (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

Probopass (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

This is a great momentum based defensive core that basically covers all the necessary bases in hazards and status.​

Vibrava is great at switching in and out from things like typhlosion, magmortar, megacamel, poison types (not weezing), electric types, and can come in vs SpD rhydon fairly well.

Plume comes in on the vast majority of phyisical attackers. Even if it gets predicted by say a sawk ice punch u can always tank the hit and double switch out so you can recover up later.

Probopass is great for switching into and trapping most steel types such as mawile and killing them with earth power. This is very useful because steel types are gaining popularity since mega-lix left. Probopass is the rock setter.

The main problems for this defensive core are things like malamar, samurott, archeops, sneasal (if fighting coverage), and ludicolo.

Make sure you get some offensive checks to those mons when finishing off your team. The defensive core should support the offensive one so as long as they can't gain momentum from using those mons you should be good to go.

I recomend guts users, offensive things that are immune to water, bug types for malamar, and whatever the hell deals with archeops :/
*Claps props for the Vibrava

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
+

Liepard @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Seed Bomb / U-turn

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze / Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Grass

This core is most adept at screwing over balance teams. Usually the best / most common Typhlosion sponges found on balance (or even offense) would be Rhydon and Hariyama, due to their great bulk while still packing a wallop. These two also happen to switch into Liepard with relative impunity and start hammering things...that is if it is the usual Liepard. People underestimate the coverage options Liepard has, which are pretty strong in their own right (certainly not Hidden Power levels weak) and can definitely sting their intended targets.

252 Atk Life Orb Liepard Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 296-351 (68.9 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 91-109 (21.9 - 26.3%) -- 8.8% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Liepard Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rhydon: 296-354 (71.4 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Knock Off + Seed Bomb has ~30% chance to KO)

On the other hand, while Seed Bomb is more for luring purposes (and can also work against bulky Pokemon such as Seismitoad, Carracosta, and Quagsire), Liepard can employ the more general option in U-turn, allowing it to away from Pokemon it cannot break, such as Garbodor and Mawile, straight into Typhlosion to unleash havoc. Liepard's move of choice would affect Typhlosion's last move accordingly; if Liepard is using Seed Bomb then the need for Hidden Power Grass can be lessened; Extrasensory certainly isn't needed anymore since Liepard does the job of luring Hariyama, and can be replaced with Focus Blast, an alternative option for neutral coverage while also doing more damage against things such as Regirock, Zweilous, and Thick Fat Miltank.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Mawile @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Tauros @ Life Orb
Naive Nature / Jolly Nature
- Rock Climb
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Rock Slide

These Sheer Force Pokemon are a great offensive core. Mawile is a great win condition and wallbreaker in one as its STABs have good coverage along with it having access to Sucker Punch to bypass its not so good base 50 Speed stat, although Sucker Punch does give Life Orb recoil. Swords Dance is great for forced switches, being able to punish switchins harder with a Sucker Punch or with a STAB if a wall switches in to tank a hit. Mawile also makes a great Sneasel check as both its STABs are super effective. Tauros is a literal bull in a china shop as frail threats are destroyed and with a base Speed stat of 110, it is one of the faster Pokemon in NU. Tauros has an amazing movepool to abuse Sheer Force with access to a great STAB in Rock Climb and coverage in Zen Headbutt, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Rock Slide, and more. Mawile can also beat a lot of bulky Fighting-types like Gurdurr and Hariyama that may give Tauros trouble and be able to beat up on walls that can tank Tauros's hits since Mawile can boost its Attack unlike Tauros while Tauros takes care of faster threats for Mawile that may play Sucker Punch mindgames with it like Will-o-Wisp Pyroar / Typhlosion while also hitting things that Sucker Punch resists such as Liepard. I personally don't run Fire Blast though as I run a Fire-type alongside this core, although it still hits Ferroseed which gives this core a problem so it has merit. This core also has a problem with bulky Water-types such as Seismitoad (unless you are real enough to run Grass Knot on Mawile) so a Grass-type like Lilligant is a good Pokemon and if Scarfed gives a good cleaner since this core does the wallbreaking. This core also struggles with being worn down so hazard control is nice. Other than that, have fun breaking walls and screwing over dem Sneasels ;)

Last edited:

Mawile @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Tauros @ Life Orb
Naive Nature / Jolly Nature
- Rock Climb
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Rock Slide

These Sheer Force Pokemon are a great offensive core. Mawile is a great win condition and wallbreaker in one as its STABs have good coverage along with it having access to Sucker Punch to bypass its not so good base 50 Speed stat, although Sucker Punch does give Life Orb recoil. Swords Dance is great for forced switches, being able to punish switchins harder with a Sucker Punch or with a STAB if a wall switches in to tank a hit. Mawile also makes a great Sneasel check as both its STABs are super effective. Tauros is a literal bull in a china shop as frail threats are destroyed and with a base Speed stat of 110, it is one of the faster Pokemon in NU. Tauros has an amazing movepool to abuse Sheer Force with access to a great STAB in Rock Climb and coverage in Zen Headbutt, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Rock Slide, and more. I personally don't run Fire Blast as I run a Fire-type alongside this core, although it still hits Ferroseed which gives this core a problem. This core also has a problem with bulky Water-types such as Seismitoad (unless you are real enough to run Grass Knot on Mawile) so a Grass-type like Lilligant is a good Pokemon and if Scarfed gives a good cleaner since this core does the wallbreaking. This core also struggles with being worn down so hazard control is nice. Other than that, have fun breaking walls and screwing over dem Sneasels.
Could you elaborate more on how these two help each other?

nv

The Lost Age
Could you elaborate more on how these two help each other?
Well basically Mawile can beat a lot of bulky Fighting-types like Gurdurr and Hariyama that may give Tauros trouble and be able to beat up on walls that can tank Tauros's hits since Mawile can boost its Attack unlike Tauros while Tauros takes care of faster threats for Mawile that may play Sucker Punch mindgames with it like Will-o-Wisp Pyroar / Typhlosion while also hitting things that resist Sucker Punch such as Liepard. I added this into the original post to reflect this since I apparently forgot to put the whole reason they are a good core in the post (that is what I get when I post it while half paying attention).

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dunno why this hasnt been posted yet, but here is Sawk + Xatu [Balanced Core]

+

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

DOOT DOOT (Xatu) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- U-turn / Calm Mind
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Heat Wave / Giga Drain / Signal Beam

Sawk is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier boasting an excellent Attack stat and coverage movepool combined with Sturdy, which is a fantastic ability that allows Sawk to act as a wallbreaker and revenge killer in one teamslot. In order to fully take advantage of this ability, keeping entry hazards off your side of the field is very important. This is where Xatu comes into play, with Magic Bounce deterring the placement of entry hazards. In addition, from a general standpoint, pivot Xatu pairs well with slower wallbreakers (Sawk isnt slow by any means but its speed is somewhat average) to get them in safely to fire off a powerful attack. The synergy between this two is more conceptual and from a playstyle perspective than type synergy (see Rhydon + Mantine for something like this), but Sawk does do a nice job of checking Dark and Rock type that bother Xatu. In regards to the sets, Sawk is pretty standard, with CC and Knock Off realistically being the only necessary attacks, but I feel Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt is the best choice for the last 2 slots, hitting the likes of Mantine, Scyther, Weezing, Garbodor, and Vileplume. The Xatu set is more flexible, since it can be catered to your teams needs. If you would rather have a pivot, go with the primary slashes; but if your team needs a win condition then Calm Mind + Psyshock is the way to go. Heat Wave hits Klinklang / Ferroseed / Mawile etc, and Giga Drain hits Quagsire / Seismitoad / Rhydon, and Signal Beam is just for Malamar. The EV spread outspeeds neutral natured base 70 Pokemon like Samurott and Ludicolo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)