ORAS FU Metagame Discussion (old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay so due to name complications FU has now been officially renamed to "Forgot to Use". I say "official" because that's what it's known for on a professional level and if it were to ever get a ladder again or be nommed for OMotM that's what it would go by, but it can be whatever the fuck you want unofficially so I don't mind if you still call it FU in a setting like this.

Let's Talk about a interesting Pokemon, what's really Forget to Use: Dunsparce

Dunsparce has an very good ability for his job as a Paraflincher: Serene Grace
Boosts the likelihood of added effects occurring. The Combination of Glare and Rock Slide/Headbutt makes Dunsparce to a good Paraflincher. It has got a nice recovery with Roost and can boost with Coil.
The Set:

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252HP/ 252Sp. Def/4Def
- Glare
- Coil
- Rock Slide/Headbutt
- Roost

With this EV Spreat can Dunsparce tank Special Hits better. With Coil can it boost the Defensive and Attack. With Roost can it recover HP and Rock Slide flinchs in combination from Serene Grace and Paralysis very often. With the Accuracy boost from Coil hurts Rockslide every time.

252 SpA Choice Specs Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dunsparce: 168-198 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dunsparce: 184-217 (45.5 - 53.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Outrage vs. +2 252 HP / 4 Def Dunsparce: 121-144 (29.9 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Arbok Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dunsparce: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Simipour Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dunsparce: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dunsparce: 130-154 (32.1 - 38.1%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Butterfree Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dunsparce: 153-183 (37.8 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Dunsparce Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Butterfree: 280-332 (106.8 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(PS: Sorry for my bad Englisch, I'm from Germany and I've got only two years English at school.

Last edited:
This Set is more a gimmick, but it can be very effective: When you compare Plusle and Minun, you see that Minun is rather defensive. The Hidden Ability Volt Absorb underline that.

Plusle @Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Calm (when you will be very tanky) / Modest (to make good damage) / Timid (to outspeed)
EVs: 252HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4Init
0 Attack DV
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- HP Ice

The problem from the moveset is it, when you don' use Modest the bad damage

Calcs:
2 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Minun: 124-147 (38.2 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ SpA Technician Persian Swift vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Minun: 109-130 (33.6 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Golduck Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Minun: 110-133 (33.9 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ SpA Simisage Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Minun: 116-137 (35.8 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Minun: 52-62 (16 - 19.1%) -- possible 6HKO

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Plusle @Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb

252+ SpA Choice Specs Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Minun: 52-62 (16 - 19.1%) -- possible 6HKO
Useful calc ?_? Also this is just straight up outclassed by eviolite electabuzz, which has better stats everywhere except for equal special defense, plus much better defense because eviolite is better than assault vest.

Dangerous Durant, the only relevant thing Electabuzz doesn't have is Volt Absorb, which is only really useful against Electabuzz and the odd Magnemite or Pikachu. But if you feel you must have a volt-absorb mon, I'd suggest Chinchou over Minun.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Absorb / Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe (12 speed let's it outspeed and Volt-Switch away from most Gogoats)
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave / Toxic

Assuming the calcs you listed are mons you're worried about, Chinchou does just about as good of a job surviving against those while providing team support and somewhat better physical bulk.

+2 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (100 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chinchou: 157-186 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Technician Persian Swift vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chinchou: 141-166 (39.9 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Golduck Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chinchou: 70-83 (19.8 - 23.5%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 252+ SpA Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chinchou: 110-130 (31.1 - 36.8%) -- 75.1% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Electabuzz Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chinchou: 118-139 (33.4 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Chinchou has less offensive presence than Minun (not that Minun has much to begin with), but if you want an electric-type tank, run Eviolite Electabuzz. This set focuses on Chinchou's utility. Scald is for the Burn chance, Volt Switch to keep momentum, and Heal Bell to cure your team. Go with Thunder Wave if you want to slow down offensive threats, or Toxic if you want to wear down walls.

Apologies; never played the tier before, but I was wondering that now the HA Johto Starters are out, Croconaw might have a place on the viability rankings with it's new found ability Sheer Force?

I don't think so, its got heavy competition from Kingler. The only things Croconaw has that Kingler doesn't is priority, Ice Punch, Dragon Dance, and the ability to carry Eviolite. It also has to deal with its subpar 80 base attack vs. Kingler's 130, and lacks Knock-Off.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Croconaw Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 263-309 (81.9 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Kingler Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 234-277 (72.8 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even with Life Orb, Croconaw with +1 is only slightly stronger than Life Orb Kingler and on par with Choice Band Kingler. The only reason I can see to run Croconaw is for eviolite bulk and Ice Punch, otherwise Kingler can do what Croconaw can without needing setup.

Edit: Also, what happened to the FU ladder? FU's not even available by challenging on the Aqua Server anymore. Was it moved somewhere?

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
So how is FU going to incoperate the new tiering system? Is it going to be if a pokemon has 9.04% usage then it quickrises to PU and if it has 1.14 usage then it quickdrops to FU?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No we are going to go back to waiting 3 months for tier updates. Besides, this month we would have lost some really big shit like Arbok, Kingler, and Jumpluff, so I'm just gonna go ahead and keep the tier how it is atm lol.

FU seemed to be really popular compared to the other OMs of the Month in terms of ladder activity, it's a shame it can't yet have a permanent place on showdown.

EV

Banned deucer.
That's because the other OMs are an ass to teambuild for without resorting to some obviously overpowered things.
In case you didn't realize, you are in the Other Metagames forum right now! Welcome! If you're looking for your foot, you'll find it in your mouth. Make sure to grab a souvenir on your way out. One of our many ass-to-teambuild metagames ought to do the trick. I hope you enjoyed your stay. Please come back soon!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's because the other OMs are an ass to teambuild for without resorting to some obviously overpowered things.
>Fraxure
>Murkrow
>Electabuzz
>machoke
>Articuno
You realize that those are basically the meta right? Electabuzz probably has like 40% usage or something dumb. I like FU, but it has less choice than most OMs

>Fraxure
>Murkrow
>Electabuzz
>machoke
>Articuno
You realize that those are basically the meta right? Electabuzz probably has like 40% usage or something dumb. I like FU, but it has less choice than most OMs
Its better than the regice meta atleast, it probably had like 70% usage or so (and vigoroth had atleast 35%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)