Resource ORAS RU Role Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
o.k, i'm feeling inspired. don't get mad if i'm bad @ this

- i'd discourage the use of Sandslash and Dugtrio as SR setters, as neither perform this role particularly well from my experiences; Dugtrio is generally not going to be afforded the free turns to set them up (would need Sash to do so, but Sash compromises its role as a trapper to the point where it really isn't worthwhile), and Sandslash is pressed to fill it's role as a spinner without trying to address SR as well
- there are still three instances of Gligar mentions in Taunt users, Defensive Pivots, and Swords Dance Boosting Sweepers
- I'm not too keen on pegging down M-Camerupt as a Wallbreaker, as they are most commonly running more defensively-inclined spreads. While they still do hit hard, their role on teams is primarily defensive, which I would rather see highlighted here.
- Skuntank is commonly very hard-pressed to find room for Taunt, so I'm not all too sure about including it amongst Taunt users. Typically, it looks to run a set of Defog / Sucker Punch / (Punishment / Crunch) / (Pursuit / Poison Jab / Fire Blast), as least the way I've played it, and Taunt has never come off as a move I could look to incorporate somehow
- I think the defensive pivots might be a little too overly generous in their interpretation of a 'pivot'. To my understanding a pivot is a Pokemon that commonly switch in to an assortment of opposing Pokemon and still maintain momentum for the team, typically in the forme of a switching move such as U-Turn, Volt Switch, or Baton Bass. Regen Pokemon have recently seemed to have been added to this, which is somewhat passable, as they do offer a reasonable 'middle ground' switch that isn't overly taxing (w/their hp being at least slightly accommodated here), but the rest are iffy to me. These Pokemon are more products of specific situation, being adequate 'pivot switches' to Pokemon, but not pivots by definition. I would either remove the Pokemon that fall under these parameters (Aromatisse, Granbull, Jellicent, Hitmontop, Cresselia), or at least add in Qwilfish (quote-on-quote 'Intimidate pivot', fits to the current model) for the sake of consistency, I think it would be fine either way
- I would considering the following for Boosting Sweepers: add Aromatisse to Calm Mind (by no means a bad set currently, just hard-pressed by opportunity cost of not using the cleric set), add Barbaracle to Shell Smash (rather solid 'mon and set, reasonably threatening v.offense and balance if given the free turn), remove Feraligatr from Dragon Dance (especially with M-Sceptile gone, there is so little reason to run this > sd, since it accomplishes almost nothin the other doesn't).

kinda disjointed thoughts, and i very well may have missed stuff, but it is what it is :[l]

Commenting briefly on this too

-As you added Carbink to Stealth Rock setters you should Definitely add Regirock which pretty much outclasses it and has revealted to be effective in more than one instance in SPL
-Pelipper should probably be added to defensive Defog as it was pretty decent in XY and i can see it being used in a gligarless metagame as a Fighting check too
-Golbat doesnt stallbreak especially in a meta with Mega Steelix, Zangoose is bad
-Uxie never uses Heal Bell

I'll add more when I get to a computer but I'll add my 2 cents.

Omastar can run tspikes even though it's pressed for moveslots, you can always get rid of spikes or smth. I have used tspikes omastar and it has been very handy in wearing down bulkier teams that offense can struggle against.

Fatpig uses taunt and its a pretty decent set although I haven't used it a ton.

Cofagrigus to nasty plot users: trick room might not be the best play style but it is still perfectly viable, and nasty room cofag is one of the best trick room users. Maybe also add it to toxic spikes cause oras makes it legal with pain split. Although i haven't used tspikes cofag to this is theorymon. Oh also tspikes is greatly improved now that dragalge is gone.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
o.k, i'm feeling inspired. don't get mad if i'm bad @ this

- i'd discourage the use of Sandslash and Dugtrio as SR setters, as neither perform this role particularly well from my experiences; Dugtrio is generally not going to be afforded the free turns to set them up (would need Sash to do so, but Sash compromises its role as a trapper to the point where it really isn't worthwhile), and Sandslash is pressed to fill it's role as a spinner without trying to address SR as well
- there are still three instances of Gligar mentions in Taunt users, Defensive Pivots, and Swords Dance Boosting Sweepers
- I'm not too keen on pegging down M-Camerupt as a Wallbreaker, as they are most commonly running more defensively-inclined spreads. While they still do hit hard, their role on teams is primarily defensive, which I would rather see highlighted here.
- Skuntank is commonly very hard-pressed to find room for Taunt, so I'm not all too sure about including it amongst Taunt users. Typically, it looks to run a set of Defog / Sucker Punch / (Punishment / Crunch) / (Pursuit / Poison Jab / Fire Blast), as least the way I've played it, and Taunt has never come off as a move I could look to incorporate somehow
- I think the defensive pivots might be a little too overly generous in their interpretation of a 'pivot'. To my understanding a pivot is a Pokemon that commonly switch in to an assortment of opposing Pokemon and still maintain momentum for the team, typically in the forme of a switching move such as U-Turn, Volt Switch, or Baton Bass. Regen Pokemon have recently seemed to have been added to this, which is somewhat passable, as they do offer a reasonable 'middle ground' switch that isn't overly taxing (w/their hp being at least slightly accommodated here), but the rest are iffy to me. These Pokemon are more products of specific situation, being adequate 'pivot switches' to Pokemon, but not pivots by definition. I would either remove the Pokemon that fall under these parameters (Aromatisse, Granbull, Jellicent, Hitmontop, Cresselia), or at least add in Qwilfish (quote-on-quote 'Intimidate pivot', fits to the current model) for the sake of consistency, I think it would be fine either way
- I would considering the following for Boosting Sweepers: add Aromatisse to Calm Mind (by no means a bad set currently, just hard-pressed by opportunity cost of not using the cleric set), add Barbaracle to Shell Smash (rather solid 'mon and set, reasonably threatening v.offense and balance if given the free turn), remove Feraligatr from Dragon Dance (especially with M-Sceptile gone, there is so little reason to run this > sd, since it accomplishes almost nothin the other doesn't).

kinda disjointed thoughts, and i very well may have missed stuff, but it is what it is :[l]
Thanks for the input, appreciate it.
When I put duggy as a stealth rocker, I guess I was in the mindset of OU where it's only role is a Sash set with rocks.
I might remove the dragon dance section entirely as rock polish tyrantrum is arguably better than dd.
Commenting briefly on this too

-As you added Carbink to Stealth Rock setters you should Definitely add Regirock which pretty much outclasses it and has revealted to be effective in more than one instance in SPL
-Pelipper should probably be added to defensive Defog as it was pretty decent in XY and i can see it being used in a gligarless metagame as a Fighting check too
-Golbat doesnt stallbreak especially in a meta with Mega Steelix, Zangoose is bad
-Uxie never uses Heal Bell
I think I had regirock there and it got deleted accidentally :s
I'll remove uxie from there for now, but the reasoning behind it was I had a battle or two with Nails and he had Heal Bell on Uxie, and it worked out pretty well.
I'll add more when I get to a computer but I'll add my 2 cents.

Omastar can run tspikes even though it's pressed for moveslots, you can always get rid of spikes or smth. I have used tspikes omastar and it has been very handy in wearing down bulkier teams that offense can struggle against.

Fatpig uses taunt and its a pretty decent set although I haven't used it a ton.

Cofagrigus to nasty plot users: trick room might not be the best play style but it is still perfectly viable, and nasty room cofag is one of the best trick room users. Maybe also add it to toxic spikes cause oras makes it legal with pain split. Although i haven't used tspikes cofag to this is theorymon. Oh also tspikes is greatly improved now that dragalge is gone.
Added omastar to tspikes.
I disagree with fat pig running taunt, it is really pressed for moveslots and I'm iffy on it.

Anyways, thanks for the input everyone n-n

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As lighthouses mentioned above, Medicham should definitely be added to revenge killers and wallbreakers, i fully expect both Choice Scarf and Life Orb to be perfectly viable sets for it.

I'd remove Registeel from other and make a section dedicated to Curse in the boosting sweepers section with both Registeel and Steelix in it, both of them are pretty solid users of the move, and if Tyrantrum can get a section entirely to its own for Dragon Dance, i'm p. sure that these two can get a section outside of other as well x.x. I'd consider doing the same for everything else except Malamar, but i'll leave that up to you.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I feel that Braviary could be added in the Choice Scarf users section, The speed tiers decreasing with Mega Sceptile leaving really helps the cause of 80 base speed mons that could use Choice Scarf such as Mesprit. Having good coverage also helps. IMO it should be added. I know it isnt a preferred choice but at least doesnt to rely on hitting a hurricane...

Agreeing with adding Medicham on the Choice Scarf users as well.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add huntail to SS and to hone claws (w/ Durant)
Oh yeah i actually forgot about Huntail x.x. I'd add that to Shell Smash and *maybe* Coil as well. Do note though that Huntail actually doesn't learn Hone Claws at all lol (even if it did, Coil would still be the better option given its really just Hone Claws with an extra boost to Defense tacked on).

Personally, i wouldn't mind seeing seeing a section in set up sweepers that gives a list of Pokemon that use Baton Pass to pass on their boosts to something more threatening rather than using them to attempt to sweep on their own. If you were to add something like that, having Gorebyss, Huntail, Combusken, Togetic, and Musharna in that section would be a pretty good start imo.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As lighthouses mentioned above, Medicham should definitely be added to revenge killers and wallbreakers, i fully expect both Choice Scarf and Life Orb to be perfectly viable sets for it.

I'd remove Registeel from other and make a section dedicated to Curse in the boosting sweepers section with both Registeel and Steelix in it, both of them are pretty solid users of the move, and if Tyrantrum can get a section entirely to its own for Dragon Dance, i'm p. sure that these two can get a section outside of other as well x.x. I'd consider doing the same for everything else except Malamar, but i'll leave that up to you.
Did that; leaving other with those 4 mons for now.
I feel that Braviary could be added in the Choice Scarf users section, The speed tiers decreasing with Mega Sceptile leaving really helps the cause of 80 base speed mons that could use Choice Scarf such as Mesprit. Having good coverage also helps. IMO it should be added. I know it isnt a preferred choice but at least doesnt to rely on hitting a hurricane...

Agreeing with adding Medicham on the Choice Scarf users as well.
Personally, I think Braviary is an awful Choice Scarf user as it really needs the bulk from the sub bu set or the power from LO or Band. Also, I think CanadianWifier wouldn't speak to me again if I put on scarf Braviary here :x
Oh yeah i actually forgot about Huntail x.x. I'd add that to Shell Smash and *maybe* Coil as well. Do note though that Huntail actually doesn't learn Hone Claws at all lol (even if it did, Coil would still be the better option given its really just Hone Claws with an extra boost to Defense tacked on).

Personally, i wouldn't mind seeing seeing a section in set up sweepers that gives a list of Pokemon that use Baton Pass to pass on their boosts to something more threatening rather than using them to attempt to sweep on their own. If you were to add something like that, having Gorebyss, Huntail, Combusken, Togetic, and Musharna in that section would be a pretty good start imo.
Added that and BP section. Durant for bp users y/n?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Personally, I think Braviary is an awful Choice Scarf user as it really needs the bulk from the sub bu set or the power from LO or Band. Also, I think CanadianWifier wouldn't speak to me again if I put on scarf Braviary here :x
I really haven't touched RU yet this gen [even though it looks really fun now and I want to] but I don't think Scarf Braviary is completely terrible anymore like it was in BW2; it's just still really, really outclassed by its own other 2 sets, and by other scarfers in general. Up to you though cause I know nothin :]

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I really haven't touched RU yet this gen [even though it looks really fun now and I want to] but I don't think Scarf Braviary is completely terrible anymore like it was in BW2; just still really, really outclassed by its own other 2 sets, and by other scarfers in general. Up to you though cause I know nothin :]
Fair enough :P

I think it was relatively common back in early ORAS when Mega Lopunny was around, and although I didn't see it used after that left for some of the other faster threats, it doesnt outspeed Mega Sceptile lol.

Anyways, you definitely should try out RU - it's pretty fun n-n

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Double posting to say I've removed all Pangoro and Moltres mentions.

Also I changed the fire / flying checks section to just fire types since with mega pidgeot and moltres gone, the only relevant flying-type left is Fletchinder and I dont think that warrants changing the section title.
If I missed anything or if you disagree with something, feel free to say so.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
I'd at least consider removing Regirock and Carbink from the thread entirely, without Moltres to check there's significantly less of a reason to use them over Rhyperior imo.

Remove Eelektross from Fire-type checks entirely, pretty much every relevant Fire-type in the metagame outside of Fletchinder (who doesn't even use offensive Fire-type moves) has an easy time dealing with it, Emboar just runs through it with a Flare Blitz, Special Delphox and Houndoom both have a pretty good shot to 2HKO it with Fire Blast moves after Stealth Rock damage, (Houndoom can even OHKO after a Nasty Plot!), Mixed Houndoom can 2HKO it with Crunch after Stealth Rock damage (although it needs a high damage roll to do so) and if anything, Mega Camerupt is checking Eelektross, considering it's immune to its Electric-type STAB, resists Flamethrower, doesn't have to risk being its item being Knocked Off, and has more than enough bulk to take multiple Giga Drains, not the other way around.

While you're at it, I'd also consider adding all of Houndoom, Mega Camerupt, Seismitoad, Feraligatr, Clawitzer, and *maybe* Qwilfish to the Fire-type checks section (the latter really only helps out against Emboar though). They're all pretty helpful in fighting off fire-types imo, better than Eelektross at least lol.

Add Crustle to offensive Stealth Rock users and Spikes users, the release of Custap Berry and the loss of Gligar have turned it into a pretty solid suicide lead, definitely worth a mention here imo.

Add Durant to offensive Psychic-type checks, It has more than enough Speed and Power to immediately threaten them, and while its poor special bulk gets in the way a bit, its resistance to Psychic-type moves and solid physical bulk mean that it has no problem switching into Psyshocks/Cresselia's Moonblast if it needs to. Surprised it isn't already listed here to be honest lol. I'd also give some serious consideration to adding it to wallbreakers, but maybe that's just me.

Torterra should probably be added to Stealth Rock setters, it's a pretty solid option with Moltres gone imo, especially given it has reliable recovery and all that.

Add Tangrowth to both offensive and defensive pivots and possibly wallbreakers imo. Offensive Tangrowth's Leaf Storm is extremely powerful, and its great bulk and access to Regenerator give it a ton of chances to fire it off. Quite a few of the things that can stomach a Leaf Storm are either vulnerable to coverage moves such as Hidden Power Fire and Focus Blast, or can be disposed of with a well timed Sleep Powder. On top of all this, Tang *really* benefits from Moltres leaving the tier and Feraligatr recieving Sheer Force, given that the former was a major thorn in its side and that it's a pretty good check to the latter (although a boosted Ice Punch really hurts).

Add Mega Camerupt to wallbreakers for sure, STAB, Sheer Force boosted Fire Blasts and Earth Powers are both extremely powerful, and bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Specially Defensive Alomomola can easily be crippled by moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, which camel certainly has enough room to run.

Heliolisk should probably be added to offensive pivots given that Jolteon's there. It might recieve a bit of competition from it, but it's most certainly not a *terrible* option, and excellent coverage options, Dry Skin, and Heliolisk's secondary Normal-type give it an edge that make it worth using imo.

EDIT: Sawk should definitely be added to wallbreakers imo, and a Fighting-type checks section might be a good addition imo.

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
At this point I agree a fighting type section can be pretty important. With moltres gone (a single mon that checked most fighting types by itself) it would be pretty nice to have a detailed list of fighting checks cause right now there are plenty of fighting types and all of them are looking pretty strong.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I'd at least consider removing Regirock and Carbink from the thread entirely, without Moltres to check there's significantly less of a reason to use them over Rhyperior imo.

Remove Eelektross from Fire-type checks entirely, pretty much every relevant Fire-type in the metagame outside of Fletchinder (who doesn't even use offensive Fire-type moves) has an easy time dealing with it, Emboar just runs through it with a Flare Blitz, Special Delphox and Houndoom both have a pretty good shot to 2HKO it with Fire Blast moves after Stealth Rock damage, (Houndoom can even OHKO after a Nasty Plot!), Mixed Houndoom can 2HKO it with Crunch after Stealth Rock damage (although it needs a high damage roll to do so) and if anything, Mega Camerupt is checking Eelektross, considering it's immune to its Electric-type STAB, resists Flamethrower, doesn't have to risk being its item being Knocked Off, and has more than enough bulk to take multiple Giga Drains, not the other way around.

While you're at it, I'd also consider adding all of Houndoom, Mega Camerupt, Seismitoad, Feraligatr, Clawitzer, and *maybe* Qwilfish to the Fire-type checks section (the latter really only helps out against Emboar though). They're all pretty helpful in fighting off fire-types imo, better than Eelektross at least lol.

Add Crustle to offensive Stealth Rock users and Spikes users, the release of Custap Berry and the loss of Gligar have turned it into a pretty solid suicide lead, definitely worth a mention here imo.

Add Durant to offensive Psychic-type checks, It has more than enough Speed and Power to immediately threaten them, and while its poor special bulk gets in the way a bit, its resistance to Psychic-type moves and solid physical bulk mean that it has no problem switching into Psyshocks/Cresselia's Moonblast if it needs to. Surprised it isn't already listed here to be honest lol. I'd also give some serious consideration to adding it to wallbreakers, but maybe that's just me.

Torterra should probably be added to Stealth Rock setters, it's a pretty solid option with Moltres gone imo, especially given it has reliable recovery and all that.

Add Tangrowth to both offensive and defensive pivots and possibly wallbreakers imo. Offensive Tangrowth's Leaf Storm is extremely powerful, and its great bulk and access to Regenerator give it a ton of chances to fire it off. Quite a few of the things that can stomach a Leaf Storm are either vulnerable to coverage moves such as Hidden Power Fire and Focus Blast, or can be disposed of with a well timed Sleep Powder. On top of all this, Tang *really* benefits from Moltres leaving the tier and Feraligatr recieving Sheer Force, given that the former was a major thorn in its side and that it's a pretty good check to the latter (although a boosted Ice Punch really hurts).

Add Mega Camerupt to wallbreakers for sure, STAB, Sheer Force boosted Fire Blasts and Earth Powers are both extremely powerful, and bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Specially Defensive Alomomola can easily be crippled by moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, which camel certainly has enough room to run.

Heliolisk should probably be added to offensive pivots given that Jolteon's there. It might recieve a bit of competition from it, but it's most certainly not a *terrible* option, and excellent coverage options, Dry Skin, and Heliolisk's secondary Normal-type give it an edge that make it worth using imo.

EDIT: Sawk should definitely be added to wallbreakers imo, and a Fighting-type checks section might be a good addition imo.
Yeah, I was more or less considering removing them but I never said anything about it - they're gone now.
Mhm, Eel was a really shaky Fire check in the first place - it was more for mega pidgeot.

Got everything else, thanks for the advice n_n

Thoughts on a Fighting-type checks section? I agree, but interested to hear what others say.

Yeah, I was more or less considering removing them but I never said anything about it - they're gone now.
Mhm, Eel was a really shaky Fire check in the first place - it was more for mega pidgeot.

Got everything else, thanks for the advice n_n

Thoughts on a Fighting-type checks section? I agree, but interested to hear what others say.
I would say go for it. great pokemon for that include all the psychic-types in the tier, whimsicott and aromatisse, and stuff like golbat n_n

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I would say go for it. great pokemon for that include all the psychic-types in the tier, whimsicott and aromatisse, and stuff like golbat n_n
Added the section n-n
Iffy on Alomomola since it loses to Sub or Lum SD cobalion, only needs some prior damage for Banded or LO Emboar's Wild Charge to kill, Banded Sawk 2HKOes, Gurdurr sets up on it kinda, its certainly a check but there are better ones like the Psychic and Fairy types.
I didnt put stuff like Togetic or Xatu since they really just arent that great. Let me know if I should add anything else.

edit: added doublade

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
Doublade should be added to the fighting type checks section IMO. It dies against emboar and banded sawk can 2hko with knock off (damn) but it can check the rest pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)