Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Fucking hell Lee you fucking beast...

I am fortunately staying injury free for the time being. Would you guys say that if I had the time to do much longer cardio session and keep my heart rate at 150~155 range? At the moment when I am pushing hard, sometimes I see it peek up to ~180 which I know is way too high. Sitting at 150~155 feels like I'm barely working at all, and I can quite happily sit at that pace for a decent length of time (On a Bike at least). My upper body is pretty slight compared to my legs.

I am considering finding a local Athletics team and seeing if I can get back in to that. I used to do County level athletics in my teens, and just kinda stopped when I went to Uni. I used to be a sprinter/middle distance runner and Long/Triple jumper, so the leg strength is mostly still there. I'd love to do track cycling, but it's very expensive and I live no where near a Velodrome :(

That sucks Mike...we may as well rename this 'The Injury Thread' and be done with it! Wishing you a speedy recovery.[/hide]

#BackToTheFuture #ItsATrap #ShoulderBoyTellEm #LatsDoThis
Cheers mate -- it was quite a funny story and not painful just strictly off exercise. Absolutely cannot wwait to get back down to the gym.

Back's looking awesome! Keep it up

Stratos

Banned deucer.
hi i have been wanting to put on some weight so that i could have some confidence with the ladies (6'4" 155lb right now so i rly could stand to bulk up) and perhaps even boost my attack and defense statistics...

the problem is i really have absolutely zero clue what im doin. I know theres a lot of material on the internet but i dont know what is bad of it and what is good, and you guys do. If you could recommend me some places to look, that would be absolutely handy dandy and well appreciated. My goals are basically just to stop looking like a twig, though i would certainly not mind also becoming able to lift heavy things and then place them back in their prescribed locations

Last edited:

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
ahahahaha yeah GOMAD is pretty extreme iirc it's only really for people who feel like they can't gain weight through any other means and have A LOT to gain cuz it's guaranteed you're going to gain weight so if you don't lift heavy enough you just gonna get fat. plus a gallon of milk is a shitload of liquid, if milk isn't like your favorite beverage I imagine it'd be really difficult just to get and keep down. but if you do it it will make you gain weight 100% because of sheer amount of calories

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
ofc, I never drank the full gallon when I've used that protocol...I usually settled for half a gallon...but then you're nearly a foot taller than me! Just experiment and find the amount that's right for you. To quote my boy Stathakis earlier in the thread:

Stathakis said:
re: gomad - I did it once in high school and I am lactose intolerant. it got me from 105 lbs to 135 lbs in under a year. if you are serious about gaining weight, you will do it; if not you'll find an excuse. you'll gain some fat but this plan is second to none for fixing scrawniness

Stratos

Banned deucer.
The only two links for you. Anybody that suggests anything else is just plain wrong.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

Thank me when you're 200lbs. Which probably won't be that long.
good shit Lee, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Looked over these webpages last night and I can't wait to get started on this routine. I just have one question, if you don't mind: My spring break starts in a week and a half, and is a week where I will have access to neither GOMAD nor gym. Would it be worthwhile in your estimation to start ASAP or should i just wait until I am back from spring break to begin?

I'll take a mirror pic sometime today when my roommates aren't in and then I promise this thread another mirror pic on my last day of exams to show my progress ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Lee

@ Thick Club
Honestly I'd probably just wait until after Spring Break. It might still be worth going to the gym this week though, just to learn the technique of the lifts and perhaps work out what weights you're going to be starting with. Just so you're fully set and ready to start the day after Spring Break. Just a suggestion though, all that matters is that you're starting. Let us know how it goes, dude.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, I want to get started but such a big break so early on will waste any gains I make on the first week. Good suggestion with going to figure out the lifts, though, that's definitely something I'll be doing on Saturday.

Anyways, as promised, here is my "Before" picture:
no flexing or anything cuz i dont think its necessary in order to display how majestically scrawny i am. Can't wait to fix this!

Good luck on your journey Stratos You'll kill this for sure

No weight improvement for sometime now, I might have to start GOMad myself as nothing else is working and my appeitie is just decreasing no matter what I do. Here are a few update pics, nothing changed bar the back width.

This is at 58kg by the way. I need alot more mass for starters but I cant help but notice the hugely lagging arms. I do alot of variations of workouts to really cause damage to it but it isnt working much (still about 13.7 inches at 9% bf)

Everyone should post more pictures to motivate myself and others I guess, it also is interesting to see everyone's progress.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So last night I managed 19:51 for my 5km row, which is now a full minute faster than 6 weeks ago. I'm very happy that I am improving this much each time I do it, I've had some "bad" days where I can't get to those sort of times, but on the days I feel up for it I'm breaking my PB each time.

Next target is 19:30 now. I'm finding it easier to keep myself under 2:00/500m each time I practice. Also, the sickness is starting to fade a lot, when I did this PB I felt fine after about 5~10 mins of recovery time which is great. I'm "topping off" each session with about an 8~10km ride to get at least 500cal burned. I force myself to keep this ride at about 150HR, which is surprisingly hard to do... It doesn't feel like I am pushing at all.

Posted 20:11 on 13th Feb and then I posted 19:56 on the 19th Feb... Now down to 19:51 (2nd March), so I must be doing something right? :P

uragg

is a Contributor Alumnus
deciding to try out candito's 6-week program to switch things up, I've heard some good things about it so hopefully it goes well! starting with calculated 1RMs of 260 squat, 315 deadlift, and 215 bench. might post starting pics if I can find a decent mirror or something

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hi guys, I haven't posted here before, but I figured now would be as good a time as ever. I'm a college cheerleader and with this season ending, I'm looking to get back into lifting during the off season. I've never really taken lifting seriously in the past, but I have a lot of functional muscle from cheer. My issue has always been drinking and I reached my heaviest of 275 lbs about a month ago. Since then, I decided I needed to go on a cut and get my BF way down. I've been doing the bike for 45 minutes everyday, as well as cheer practice for about an hour and half. So far it's been working and I weighed in at 252 this morning. I'm hoping to get down to around 225 by the summer.

I have been looking around at various strength programs, and I think I'm going to try SL 5x5. I like the fact that it focuses mainly on free weight movements, and all the lifts are very relevant for cheer. Right now my maxes are around 225 bench, 305 squat, and 385 deadlift, but those numbers are all from the start of the season in September. So I'm thinking of starting SL 5x5 at 225 for squat, 185 for bench, and 305 for deadlift. I'm not sure what to do for OHP and barbell row since I haven't done those before. Do you think those numbers would be decent, or do you think their is a more expansive program than SL 5x5 that I should try?

Lee

@ Thick Club
idiotfrommars

Starting numbers look solid. Just have a play with the OHP and Row and see what feels comfortable, I'd probably guess you can start at 135lbs or so (maybe slightly less for the OHP?). I think you're doing the right thing in doing 5x5 but you're already pretty strong so I wouldn't expect you to stay on it for TOO long; in time you can move on to something like 5/3/1 which is a bit more advanced. But soak up those rapid advancements in the meanwhile...this is the only time in your lifting career you'll be adding 7.5kg to your squat per week so enjoy yourself!

As an aside, I'd also suggest you add some chin-ups as an assistance exercise (they're often lauded as a good supplementary to 5x5 because they target a few muscle groups that are typically neglected by bench/squat/dead/ohp/row). I'm guessing you might struggle, being a pretty big guy and all, but that means you can make some good, quick gains with them.

And I'm sure you already know this but be mindful of the impact a program like this will have on that little number on the scales. You might find your weight loss stagnating but if you're sticking to the program and eating well, it's almost certainly because you're building muscle. Try to go off what you see in the mirror and how you feel health-wise, rather than what the scales have to say. I'm stressing this because when I first did 5x5 I gained about 20lbs in the first 8 weeks!

Best of luck, keep us in the loop.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I am expecting my weight to stagnate when I start, but I don't think I will be gaining anywhere close to 20lbs. I'm guessing I have a lot more muscle mass when I'm starting than you did, since the sports we do are completely different. I think I have about 40 pounds of fat to lose, so I'm hoping to add a bit of muscle and keep the weight going down. I've been trying to hit around 2.5k calories a day, with most of it being protein and vegetables. Thankful, the dining hall always has grilled chicken breasts and cottage cheese, so it hasn't been hard to get enough protein in a clean manner. The only issue I have found are away games, where coach always buys us pizza and I'm too lazy to make something healthy before hand.

My main goal is to improve my explosiveness, so I can toss stunts to the top easier. Right now they are getting a few inches above my head, but ideally they should be able to reach the top of my arms extended. I will definitely add chin-ups to 5x5. Do you think I should add them on day a or b? Also any other exercises that would help with an explosive toss?

Edit:

Started today. Did Squat at 245, Bench at 185, and Row at 155, as well as lat pull down at 175. Nothing was super challenging, so I'll just have to keep going.

Last edited:

Ace

ᴅ ᴇ ᴀ ᴅ
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Didn't know this thread existed, glad to have found it though. I enjoy Fitness and have been lifting casually for a few years now, nothing professional though, it's mainly for fun or as a hobby. Currently I am at around 185 lbs at 6'2 and I am 19 years old, sadly though I don't know my current body fat percentage so I'll update on that after I figure it out. One thing that's awesome is how much information/sources this thread has, all of it is very useful stuff.

My current goal is to pretty much stay healthy and active, I am cutting at the moment but sometimes I just want to change my mind and bulk instead so I am inconsistent in that sense, it may also be because I find bulking more fun that cutting, heh.

By the way guys, good job on all of your progress, it is really motivational, make sure on keeping up with this place. =]

uragg

is a Contributor Alumnus
have any of you guys experiences DOMS in your core/abs after squats? just did a day with pretty high volume of squats and some deadlifts and my lower abs are hella sore. I'd think it's probably due to me never really training core and the volume being a good amount higher than what I usually do but was wondering if anyone else has felt this

have any of you guys experiences DOMS in your core/abs after squats? just did a day with pretty high volume of squats and some deadlifts and my lower abs are hella sore. I'd think it's probably due to me never really training core and the volume being a good amount higher than what I usually do but was wondering if anyone else has felt this
I have, on occasion. Although generally people say 'oh, squats and deadlifts don't use your core' so good to hear you are.

WIth DOMS, i typically find the day of exercise I feel a bit weak/tired/exhausted but not actual pain or soreness. 36 hours I often get a bit of tightness and soreness but it tends to not linger. I have been extremely disciplined with stretching and about twice a week I spend 30 minutes doing just stretching and some light core (in addition to post-workout stretching). There is nothing like using a rumble roller on the legs after a heavy session....painful but amazing.

Also, on a positive note... Lee and Stallion -- i'm back at the gym and lifting. God it feels good to be back and i've really missed my deadlifts. Starting to work on all of my olympic lifts as of Monday. It's funny i've been about 4 weeks with no exercise (doctors orders post surgery) but I found i've lost about 10-15% strength and some conditioning too. But haven't felt better since being back!!

Off to do a 8hr hike in the mountains tomorrow, which will be interesting :P

Well the first time I went to the gym was a month ago and over that month I've gone from 154 lbs up to 161 (goal was 160 by the end of May)! I don't know how to really quantify how much strength I've gained but I've been the stronglifts 5x5 routines except I do 4x8 instead. Some exercises are definitely easier than others but hopefully I can keep progressing.
New goal 170 lbs I guess?

Squats, deadlifts, and bench press have all started to get repetitive. Moving back to clean & jerk, power snatch, and power clean. Sprinting 2x a week to shock my CNS and enhance speed. Diet consists almost entirely of salad, eggs, chicken, rice, oats, bananas, beef, fish, broccoli, peanut butter, and whole milk.

Squats, deadlifts, and bench press have all started to get repetitive. Moving back to clean & jerk, power snatch, and power clean. Sprinting 2x a week to shock my CNS and enhance speed. Diet consists almost entirely of salad, eggs, chicken, rice, oats, bananas, beef, fish, broccoli, peanut butter, and whole milk.
Nice -- great to see no processed foods in there. I'd suggest introducing some berries as they are a little lower in sugar and have all the other good things in them (too late and tired to list them). I buy them bulk when I see them on sale, freeze them and blend them in the vitamix with like raw cacao powder, coconout oil, chia seeds, LSA, etc etc. Great energy booster and fills you up the day after training.

If you're looking for some exercises with a bit more movement and energy in it -- don't skip past kettlebells. Turkish get ups are an awesome warm-up, stretch and are fairly intense. I normally use a 16kg one and do 7 minutes warm up before my olympic lifts and all.

Been back at the gym about 4 times in the past week since being allowed to exercise after surgery and loving it. Some weight based stuff will be a few more weeks until i do it but smashing out the rest and loving it! Great to be back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)