Other Pokemon Terminology Database

Status
Not open for further replies.
Term: 4MSS
Explanation: Four Move Slot Syndrome. When a Pokémon has a vast collection of viable moves from which the user can only choose four.
Example: Mega Metagross
Reference: Personal Experience and Other Users
Don't list Mega Metagross as a sufferer of 4MSS, please. Even if you believe it it's a rather controversial statement. I'd go for something like Lucario instead.
In addition, you actually have the terminology completely wrong as this would apply to every Pokémon in existence aside from what, Magnezone? The correct definition is "When a Pokémon has five or more moves it needs to be used successfully, but may only use four". Hence the Lucario example - fuck it I'm just gonna do it

Explanation: In which a Pokémon has five or more moves it needs to be used successfully, but due to only having four moveslots cannot do this.
Example: Lucario's goal as a late-game cleaner means it needs Swords Dance to boost, Extremespeed for priority, Close Combat and/or Iron Tail for STAB and Ice Punch and Crunch for coverage. However, it may only choose four of these six moves and hence suffers from 4MSS.
Reference: Personal experience both on showdown and on the forums.

Term: GeoPass
Explanation: The use of Geomancy and Baton Pass together.
Example: Smeargle
Reference: Forums

Term: BoltBeam
Explanation: Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. Any meshing of Electric- and Ice-type coverage is generally referred to as pseudo-BoltBeam coverage.
Example: Kyurem-B
Reference: The Pokemon Dictionary

Term: EdgeQuake
Explanation: Stone Edge and Earthquake. Any meshing of Rock- and Ground-type coverage is generally referred to as pseudo-BoltBeam coverage.
Example: Tyranitar
I already did boltbeam and edgequake.

I already did boltbeam and edgequake.
Sorry, I guess I've missed it.

EDIT: Removed the other definitions.

Very well, time for another common abbreviation:

Term: HP
Explanation: Short for Hidden Power. Do not confuse it with the Health Points.
Example: HP Fire, HP Ice

Last edited:
AM Edit: Lol

Term: Wish+Tect

Explanation: Using the combination of Wish and Protect to provide recovery to a Pokemon.

Example: Unaware Clefable can use WishTect for recovery.

Reference: Personal experience, Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
Term: Cancer, Aids
Explanation: refers to a cheap or broken playstyle/pokemon such as full batonpass or mega mence, stupid movesets like hp ice lando t, and an awful chat.
Example: "Goth is such cancer to this metagame"
Reference: PS! chat and Smogon Forums.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Don't list Mega Metagross as a sufferer of 4MSS, please. Even if you believe it it's a rather controversial statement. I'd go for something like Lucario instead.
In addition, you actually have the terminology completely wrong as this would apply to every Pokémon in existence aside from what, Magnezone? The correct definition is "When a Pokémon has five or more moves it needs to be used successfully, but may only use four". Hence the Lucario example - fuck it I'm just gonna do it

Explanation: In which a Pokémon has five or more moves it needs to be used successfully, but due to only having four moveslots cannot do this.
Example: Lucario's goal as a late-game cleaner means it needs Swords Dance to boost, Extremespeed for priority, Close Combat and/or Iron Tail for STAB and Ice Punch and Crunch for coverage. However, it may only choose four of these six moves and hence suffers from 4MSS.
Reference: Personal experience both on showdown and on the forums.
Just wondering - Why isn't Mega Metagross a good example of 4MSS?

Because Metagross doesn't need 5 moves or more to be used successfully. All it really needs is Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm, and then Ice Punch or Grass Knot. Metagross is still successful without Grass Knot, as it can still wall a large portion of the meta, and it can still hits many mons in OU for neutral or super effective damage without GK. It can be put this way. To determine if a mon has 4MSS, try taking away 1 of it's moves. Say Lucario for example, if you take away SD, it can't sweep because it lacks power, if you take away E speed, you take away it's niche, so it can be stopped by Pokemon such as Talon and Thundurus. If you take away CC or Iron Tail, you lose your STAB move and then you just get walled by any fat mon. If you take away Crunch or Ice Punch, you'll either be walled by any Ghost type or Lando-t / Gliscor. However, Metagross only needs 4 moves to be successful. Take away Grass Knot, it can still hit Hippo with Ice Punch, but not as hard, it's still walled by Quagsire, but Quagsire isn't really that common in OU, and neither is Alomomola or whatever Grass Knot hits. Take away Ice Punch and replace it with Grass Knot, Meteor Mash still does tons to Lando-T and Gliscor, and mons like Latias are still walled by Mega Metagross, and Meteor Mash still does a lot to the mons that are hit by Ice Punch.

Gimmick

Electric potential
Term: SR
Explanation: Stealth Rock
Example: Landorus-I is a great offensive user of SR.
Reference: forums, WIP analyses, PS!

Term: "get up Rocks"
Explanation: The act of using the move Stealth Rock.
Example: It's a good idea to get up your Rocks early to prevent your opponent from switching often.
Reference: YouTube

Term: PS!, PS
Explanation: Pokemon Showdown!
Example: PS is Smogon's official battle simulator.
Reference: forums

Term: Cancer, Aids
Explanation: refers to a cheap or broken playstyle/pokemon such as full batonpass or mega mence, stupid movesets like hp ice lando t, and an awful chat.
Example: "Goth is such cancer to this metagame"
Reference: PS! chat and Smogon Forums.
I don't think this should be included in a terminology databank simply because it can be really offensive. Having newer players think this is appropriate could give them the wrong idea of this community. I know that the Smash community is trying to get rid of the word "rape"--which I agree with 100%--and I feel like this is a similar situation. I rarely ever see those terms on PS or on the forums anyway. Plus, anyone can kinda guess what those terms might mean in a Pokemon sense without really having to look into it.

Last edited:

boxofkangaroos

Term: RestTalk
Explanation: The use of Rest and Sleep Talkin order to fully heal and then still have a 2/3 chance of using a move in the next turns.
Example: Milotic
Reference: Personal experience

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
ROFL Ok I'll be editing the OP with the definitons. Also, HP Ice Lando-T is NOT aids.

Term: Hax
Explanation: Hax basically stands from gamechanging luck, for example Thunderbolt paralyzing the opposing setup sweeper.
Example: That Ice Beam freeze hax on my Charizard really sucked. Without it I would have won that game.
Reference: personal experience.

In the OP, there's no free line between:-
-Cleric and Stallbreaker
-Revenge Kill and Win Condition
-Wall and BST
-Edgequake and Nastypass
-Chestoresto and Auto-Weather
-Sub and WoW

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh my bad, I've edited to make it better now :)
Gonna do celetran.

Term: Celetran
Explanation: A very famous core consisting of Celebi and Heatran. Type-wise, Celebi is resistant to everything Heatran is weak to including Fighting-, Water- and Ground-, whilst Heatran in turn resists/is immune to nearly everything Celebi is weak to such as Fire, Ice, Poison, Flying and Bug. Only three types hit this core for neutral damage and that is Dark-, Ghost- and Rock- types.
Example: Physically Defensive Celebi and Specially Defensive Heatran. Will post sets soon.
Reference: Forums, experience, RMTs.

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh really? I saw someone say it once in the OU chat I think so I accepted the definition. Slashed it with dry pass.

boxofkangaroos

Also I generally hear RestoChesto more than ChestoResto. Maybe both can be included.

EDIT: Another common term, though definitely not Pokemon-specific. I say this in every battle and I've come across a few people who replied with question marks.

Term: glhf
Explanation: Good luck, have fun. Used to express good sportsmanship at the beginning of a battle.
Example: <boxofkangaroos> glhf
Reference: Personal experience

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The correct term is ChestoRest (cuz resto... really?)

Also Double Dance was originally made for Haxorus in gen 5 with dd/sd. sd/rock polish or agility/nasty plot or w/e else should be called double booster cuz they're not dancing moves but this is only to stop my OCD from tickling .-.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Term: Coverage Move
Explanation: A move that a pokemon runs which does not get a STAB multiplier in order to hit certain pokemon harder than a STAB move would.
Example: Mega Altaria runs Fire Blast as a coverage move to KO Ferrothorn and other steel types that resist its STAB Hyper Voice.
Reference: Personal Experience

Term: MixMence
Explanation: Either of two mixed Salamence movesets with Life Orb. Classic MixMence is Rash with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, and Roost and New MixMence is Naive with Draco Meteor, Earthquake, Flamethrower, and Outrage.
Example: Salamence
I was just going though the archive and saw this... 3 special attacks and Roost isn't mixed.

For a small contribution"

Term: Aegi meta
Explanation: When Aegislash was OU legal, the meta looked very different. Some threats were more effective in an Aegi-controlled meta and a large amount were made less viable due to Aegi's superior typing and bulk.
Example: Mega Heracross and Mega Gardevoir were worse during the Aegi meta, Thundurus was arguably better in the Aegi meta.
Reference: Personal Experience

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)