Tip Collection for Doubles OU

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
primarily mechanics:
light screen and reflect only reduce damage by 1/3 in doubles
you only have a 33.3% chance for protect to work if you used protect, quick guard, or wide guard the previous turn
tailwind only effectively lasts 3 turns and trick room 4 turns. often you will see information stating they last 4 and 5 respectively, but this counts the turn setting up the field condition (and thus you are not effectively abusing the condition)
speed is calculated at the beginning of the turn, and so stuff like chlorophyll or paralysis will not change your speed if they come up in the middle of the turn. (example: you have a cholorophyll venusaur on a regular field. it will use regular speed and not chlorophyll speed even if you switch in a drought pokemon because there was no sun at the beginning of the turn)
follow me/rage powder can redirect sucker punch and make it do no damage at all

overall tips:
bring fukn kanga checks
mouse de frank is a cute

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
again, ignore my post if the tip has already been written

just like any artist knows, practice drawing through hell and high water. this is especially relevant to teambuilding. if you want to get good at this game, build a new team everyday even if you feel dog-tired.
these tools are helpful for teambuilding: www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/stat/speed.shtml and www.eggyemporium.com/tools/teambuilder/
practice adding an element of speed control onto your teams (thunder wave, icy wind, trick room, tailwind). striking first is very important
read RMT's (rate-my-teams) to learn how the greats build and play with their teams

mouse de frank is a drank

The only thing i might say to that finally is that while looking through rmts is all well and good, most of them are very low quality teams which should really not be used as a reference for teambuiling. It could get quite confusing for new players to discern which ones are good/bad.

I might suggest looking at sample teams first, as these are guaranteed premium quality teams

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Veekun's Pokemon Search is also very helpful for finding Pokemon, especially if it's something niche you might need. You can input all kinds of stats, such as having a stat between a certain range, at least a certain type, filtered to only include non-evolving and fully-evolved Pokemon, must learn certain moves/moves with the same effect (i.e. follow me/rage powder), a specific ability, and so on so forth. It;s quite handy.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
again, ignore my post if the tip has already been written

just like any artist knows, practice drawing through hell and high water. this is especially relevant to teambuilding. if you want to get good at this game, build a new team everyday even if you feel dog-tired.
these tools are helpful for teambuilding: www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/stat/speed.shtml and www.eggyemporium.com/tools/teambuilder/
practice adding an element of speed control onto your teams (thunder wave, icy wind, trick room, tailwind). striking first is very important
read RMT's (rate-my-teams) to learn how the greats build and play with their teams

mouse de frank is a drank
i don't think building a team everyday is necessary or even good. firstly, teambuilding is a time-consuming process and you have to recognise that, no matter if you're new to the format or if you've been around since it started. i personally believe in quality > quantity, but idk how good everyone else thinks my teams actually are so there's that.

secondly, i don't think it's too necessary (or healthy) to build a new team everyday; a large part of performing well with a team is being comfortable with it, not just the absolute viability of the team. for example, this is how wolfe glick topped two regionals with mega banette while no one else can use it at all lmao.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)