Smogon Premier League VI - Week 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody is right, especially Toxzn. I shold finish it out of respect for the managers that bought me, and respect for the game / players in general. Thanks for giving me a kick in the ass everyone. I apologize for my poor judge of character. It's pretty clear I don't usually conduct myself well on here :/ I'll finish our strong. Thanks again for the boost.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sharks management has/had no intention of fielding joke rosters (as evidenced by our roster this week). We respect the players on other teams who put a lot of time into SPL too much to do something like that. It's individual players who have chosen to give up, not the team as a whole. An earlier comment about people not taking pride in SPL hit the nail on the head. A ton of players have forgotten that playing in SPL is an honor, and not one that should be squandered. You were chosen to represent your team by its managers. We put effort into planning the draft, moving funds around at midseason, etc., so you could play, so at least put effort into playing. Tbh, we really need more people like Edgar. He's told me time and time again that he doesn't enjoy playing his tier, but he still does it seriously week after week to support the team/out of respect for his opponents. Good job, my chiquito.

I see a lot of "sharks this" and "sharks that" being thrown around and wanted to set the record straight.

e: posted as same time as above, hadn't seen and isn't a response

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Let's not forgot how badly I CRUSHED kokoloko in RU. Let teams out of it have their fun if that's what they choose to do. That's absolutely not the same thing as outright quitting. Outright quitting is reserved for unfortunate IRL circumstances and bitches of the highest caliber.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Why do people even bring up Pokemon and relevancy as a mean to insult someone? As if being relevant at Pokemon is something to be proud of.

Dude, you'd be surprised how many messages I get on here from people asking for my Facebook and Twitter and e-mail and other social apps just so they could get to know me better and find out what lies beneath all this fabulousness outside of Smogon. Pokemon is my guilty pleasure, and no one IRL needs to know that I play it.

But it seems unfair that, say, the Tigers have to spend their last two weeks fighting for playoff spots against motivated teams (Scooters and Cryos, who both need to win both weeks in order to make it in) while the Classiest are currently playing a team who decided to start their Doubles player in BW and their BW player in Doubles. Earlier in the season when Tigers played against the Raiders, they had to work for their wins a little harder.
Our ability to control people's loss of motivation once their team's fate is sealed is very limited, but if we could at least punish people for refusing to play completely, that would be something.
This is failing to account for the changes that occur during midseason; certain teams can greatly improve after midseason while others stay the same. There will obviously be some teams that will be screwed over by this, and it is just the result of having a season schedule. Let's use your own example. When the Tigers played the Raiders, I think most of us can agree the Raiders were pretty terrible. After midseason, though, they not only rid themselves of the New Breed curse, but they actually became a relatively solid team, as evidenced by their victory against the Cryonicles. The same situation arises after trades are made as well. Last year if I remember correctly, the Cryonicles ADV slot was one of their major weakpoints. Most of the teams that were playing them knew that they had an advantage in that tier. Then, they acquired Majin, the best SPL ADV player of all time. Is it fair that some teams were able to play a worse version of an SPL team? The same can be said for lineup changes; Week 1 of the season, the Tigers were not starting TDK, whose proven to be a pretty solid SPL player. The season schedule will always have an impact on the result; you can't motivate people to care once their teams are eliminated, especially when there's no real incentive for more tenured players to play outside of the prospect of improving their respective SPL records. If they want to bring a joke team, that's probably worse than refusing to play altogether anyway, since if they refuse to play, you can at least potentially sub them out for someone more inclined to prove themselves.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Bring back the frogs, at least we knew how to suck respectfully.
And LonelyNess is still the best manager ever. He bought my retention rights and drafted me pre-season for 12.5k when I had already successfully accumalated three infraction points and was just one point shy from being banned. I did get banned and wasn't able to carry the Frogs to great heights like I did with the Sharks last season, regretfully.

Ah, the good memories.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You lost week 1 and barely showed up at all for the next eight. You got carried harder than I'm getting carried now...

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
You lost week 1 and barely showed up at all for the next eight. You got carried harder than I'm getting carried now...
Friend, I was in Thailand for three weeks. Even though I was away, my thoughts and prayers were still with you and everyone in the IRC channel #mop. You felt it too, did you not? I prayed to every damn golden buddha and elephant I walked past in Bangkok. And don't deny that I didn't make the Sharks instant contender by my simply being on their roster.

Anyways, who's Doggie Ebonist? Blarajan wanted me to ask. He thinks that person is either Tele or Masterclass. Can someone please confirm?

There won't be no matches until Sunday anyway, so we are just keeping this thread alive.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Then who is he? Don't tell me MOP or Earthworm.

I actually wanted to battle Style for female supremacy on Smogon.

Reactions: g

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Playing Teddeh sometime Thursday (will try to work out a time tonight if possible)

Sorry for not posting this sooner, IRL has been nuts (6 exams in less than 2 weeks O.o).

EDIT: Playing Sunday now.

Last edited:
if anyone knows about sturm-liouville form pls pm me b/c wasted and pde's are hard thx
rofl dude sturm liouville is figuratively the devil and PDEs are the hell he resides in

some protips an alum gave me for PDE class that worked decently whenever I didn't understand what was going on: 1. when trying to solve a PDE find the eigenvalue and eigenfunction, write them down for half-credit if you can't do anything else. try to use their orthogonality to simplify your shit 2. if you're trying to prove something, integrate by parts and try to get rid of boundary terms in order to set shit equal to each other. if you're working in higher dimensions, sux 2 b u, so after u lament being in PDE class try to invoke the divergence theorem and see if u can get shit to equal each other that way.

i dont envy u. good luck and happy 3 days early birthday

Friend, I was in Thailand for three weeks. Even though I was away, my thoughts and prayers were still with you and everyone in the IRC channel #mop. You felt it too, did you not? I prayed to every damn golden buddha and elephant I walked past in Bangkok. And don't deny that I didn't make the Sharks instant contender by my simply being on their roster.

Anyways, who's Doggie Ebonist? Blarajan wanted me to ask. He thinks that person is either Tele or Masterclass. Can someone please confirm?

There won't be no matches until Sunday anyway, so we are just keeping this thread alive.
Nigga you pmed me asking hop off my shit I have subscribed to the religion of doge without asking questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)