Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would like for pokemon showdown to have a friends list so that it would be easier to find players we have befriended. it could also show if show whether or not they are online. a player search would be nice but not having one is perfectly understanble for security reasons thank you in advance.
I agree with the friending idea. Also, someone needs to get on updating sprites; pre-Kalos Pokemon still have pre-Kalos icons and megas are missing icons.

Currently you can't save the list of rooms you have open. I work around this by opening Showdown! on two computers, so if I need to restart one I can click my name in the top right and up pops a list of rooms I'm in on the other computer, and I can quickly rejoin them all.
Now I know you can load Showdown! and immediately join a specific room by suffixing that room to the URL e.g. http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/teambuilder will take you directly to the team builder (although there is a small display issue which I keep meaning to report). Perhaps it would be possible to encode the list of rooms in the URL e.g. http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/lobby/overused/vgc would automatically join all three rooms. (Bonus points for keeping the URL up-to-date as you join and leave rooms in case of accidental crashes.)

Currently you can't save the list of rooms you have open. I work around this by opening Showdown! on two computers, so if I need to restart one I can click my name in the top right and up pops a list of rooms I'm in on the other computer, and I can quickly rejoin them all.
Now I know you can load Showdown! and immediately join a specific room by suffixing that room to the URL e.g. http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/teambuilder will take you directly to the team builder (although there is a small display issue which I keep meaning to report). Perhaps it would be possible to encode the list of rooms in the URL e.g. http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/lobby/overused/vgc would automatically join all three rooms. (Bonus points for keeping the URL up-to-date as you join and leave rooms in case of accidental crashes.)
This likely would take a lot of subfolder shenanigans, since /lobby/overused/vgc is technically going to the vgc folder in the overused folder in the lobby folder of showdown's server.
tl;dr: / is the subfolder argument on showdown, which so far is only implemented to one level. Cookies would be a better place to store this.

coughs So... uh. I was originally going to look through stuff already posted, but then I saw the page count. 120 pages. Ahaha... ha.. ha... Nope.

So, apologies for repeats – Just going to dump some of my ideas here. (Bah, I'm probably very unoriginal and most of these are already said... whatevs.)

• Better room tab organization. Currently, there is no easy way to scroll through the list of rooms you are in, so makes it harder to keep track of highlights (Glowing tabs, yeah, I know, notifications) and just navigating rooms in general, especially for people who join a lot of rooms me.
  • Autojoin lists? I know there are several ways to make this work, I have scripts myself, but for a user that is less... experienced with these things, it can be very helpful. Again, especially benefits those who join a lot of rooms. Similar to how many IRC clients have these things.. Yeah. God damn /join failures
  • User created chat groups. Think of it as PMs, but with multiple users? Sure, private rooms exist, but obviously they aren't the most easiest thing to get.
  • Possible dexsearch (ds) additions – I've seen a few mentioned. Egg Groups, Pokémon weight/height, filter by region (Kalos, Hoenn etc.), BST, etc. I'm sure there are more things to be said here.
  • Leaving messages. Yeah, okay, this is a bit of a gimmick. I'm aware that several Showdown! chatbots already have this function, ex. Art2D2, but it can be a very useful vanilla function for you to talk to your friends who happen to be offline at the time.
  • Simple one that I could probably go drop a pull req right now, but I dunno how relevant it is – having /close as an alias for /leave, and /ff for /forfeit.
  • Teambuilder filters. I know you can already search by Pokémon and Move types, but it would be very useful to have more filters such as tiers (ex. Only show UU, because you won't need OU/RU/NU etc.), BST (Such as typing BST < 500 in a search bar), BP (see BST). This would make the Teambuilder even better than it already is.
Aight, that's all I have for now. Again, excuse repeats~

-Star

Not sure if this has been suggested before but you know the suggested spreads in the ev section of the teambuilder? Maybe instead of one spread it could have a simple dropdown menu of all the generic spreads? I was thinking it would be useful and quicker if there was more than one suggested set to pick. ex: bisharp has 252/252+/4 but I want max speed, if there was also a 4/252/252+ option it would be great.

Starbloom~ said:
  • Autojoin lists? I know there are several ways to make this work, I have scripts myself, but for a user that is less... experienced with these things, it can be very helpful. Again, especially benefits those who join a lot of rooms. Similar to how many IRC clients have these things.. Yeah. God damn /join failures
That's actually a cool idea. I'd personally love a command like that. =D

• User created chat groups. Think of it as PMs, but with multiple users? Sure, private rooms exist, but obviously they aren't the most easiest thing to get.
I actually suggested this a page or two or five ago. But turns out that PS isn't exactly on board with that.

• Leaving messages. Yeah, okay, this is a bit of a gimmick. I'm aware that several Showdown! chatbots already have this function, ex. Art2D2, but it can be a very useful vanilla function for you to talk to your friends who happen to be offline at the time.
TalkTakesTime actually wrote a script for online messaging, but Zarel said that he'll review it later.

Pei Kong

formerly 小太郎
Whynot a way more faster and easy for making server? I mean, clicking on a button, choosing name, owner and server will be created? =)

Custom favicons and titles for Showdown servers. They would help recognizing them on tab bar, instead of having a single title (Showdown), and a single icon (blue S with exclamation mark).
I'm sure you mean favicons or titles, right? Because both at a time would be ridiculously confusing, as some may not even recognize that it's a PS! server...

I'm sure you mean favicons or titles, right? Because both at a time would be ridiculously confusing, as some may not even recognize that it's a PS! server...
The idea is that when you have tab bar full of Showdown servers, you could easily recognize that for example Frost is Frost. You don't care if they use Pokemon Showdown as their client software, as they all use the same software. When all servers use the same favicon and title, the tab bar looks like this. Clearly useless, right?

issue36trivia.png

(this example is ridiculous, I know, but even with two different servers it's annoying)

As for not realizing it's a Showdown server... well, if you visited a website, you should know what it is. Besides, if you visit Frost, you want to know it's "Frost", and not just "Showdown". Similarly, in bookmarks, "Showdown" is non-descriptive (although the user can provide his own title for bookmark, why make him do that, when it's completely unnecessary if websites would be allowed to have their own titles). If you view the tab you opened, there is a clear hint this is a Showdown server, that is, "Pokémon Showdown" of a page (also "Credits" button saying it's Showdown server).

The idea is that when you have tab bar full of Showdown servers, you could easily recognize that for example Frost is Frost. You don't care if they use Pokemon Showdown as their client software, as they all use the same software. When all servers use the same favicon and title, the tab bar looks like this. Clearly useless, right?

View attachment 37918

(this example is ridiculous, I know, but even with two different servers it's annoying)

As for not realizing it's a Showdown server... well, if you visited a website, you should know what it is. Besides, if you visit Frost, you want to know it's "Frost", and not just "Showdown". Similarly, in bookmarks, "Showdown" is non-descriptive (although the user can provide his own title for bookmark, why make him do that, when it's completely unnecessary if websites would be allowed to have their own titles). If you view the tab you opened, there is a clear hint this is a Showdown server, that is, "Pokémon Showdown" of a page (also "Credits" button saying it's Showdown server).
Also useful when I have both main and Smogtours open :)

What about, and I guess you may have had this before, but 121 pages is a lot to read. How about a free-for-all tier? I feel as though lots of people would like that.

Pei Kong

formerly 小太郎

View attachment 37918

Ridiculous. Sorry to saying that, but: You go to all servers? o_o

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What about, and I guess you may have had this before, but 121 pages is a lot to read. How about a free-for-all tier? I feel as though lots of people would like that.
Four player battles would require massive changes to the PS engine and as a result are very, very low on the to do list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)