VGC 2015 Viability Rankings - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here are my thoughts:
  • Politoed should drop from A rank to A- rank. While it moveset might be predictable, it still got a few moves that people usually don't expect on Politoed (Mainly Encore, Icy Wind, etc.). Not because Ludicolo is A Politoed has to be A.
  • Mega Tyranitar should drop to B. Honestly i don't see a reason to use Mega Tyranitar on a team while his normal form outclasses him either in Sand Teams or under Trick Room.
  • Breloom up to A-. Having one of the fastest sleeps in the metagame, and a good offensive presence are 2 niche things that can't be ignored. Breloom in Tailwind is danger
  • Garchomp up to B+. It is nice for a Ground Type attacker that doesn't bring intimidate to the field like Landorus-T, and still got decent bulk and power.
  • Greninja should go up to C+. It really has it uses, and LO greninja really packs a punch against some teams.
  • Add Mega Loppuny, Mienshao and Crobat. Those three mons are pretty powerful, and have their uses in VGC.

Also, where's mah MVP in D rank?

While I'm not active at all here, I play a lot of VGC on Battle Spot and I thought I'd leave my impressions here on where I disagree. I agree with most of the list, and it's a very useful tool that I'd like to help with my grain of salt!

Landorus down to S- rank. It isn't as dominant as Kangaskhan, and there's a rise of usage from Garchomp simply because some teams prefer not to run an Intimidator..

Aegislash down to A or even A- rank. Desuzakiddo sums ups the why very well.

Charizard-Mega-Y down to A rank, since you'll usually build a team around it and not stick it to whatever team, also making most of the teams where it features a bit more predictable.

Hydreigon up to A+ rank, it has access to several good special moves, the occasional U-Turn and is not uncommon to see it with items different than Life Orb or Choice Specs. It's definitely more of a threat than others.

Metagross-Mega up to A+ rank. It's basically the most common mega in competitive barring Kangaskhan, no reason for it to be below Salamence and Charizard.

Cresselia up to A rank. It is the most versatile support pokemon out there and it bulk makes it frustrating to kill. Poketrainer777 makes strong points to why It's not A-. It's severely underrated in the current meta and I expect to see a rise of it usage pretty soon as It basically shuts down any pokemon dependant on an ability. Also, if Amoonguss is considered an A+ pokemon (and I consider it to be above that mark) despite its lack of offensive power, so should Cresselia be considered for a higher rank despite that apparent flaw.

Breloom up to A- rank. It's the main variant to Amoonguss to Spore, a fast one to boost, and it counters pretty well some of the most common thing you'll find in the meta.

Mamoswine up to B+ rank. Or even higher, but I'd be conservative and place it there. As with Cresselia, I feel this Pokemon is underrated and fits the meta better than other pokemon I'm seeing currently at B rank.

Garchomp up to B+ rank. It's the main variant to Landorus-T on teams that doesn't want to run into Bisharp/Milotic without giving them boosts, and a variant that adds a good movepool plus a decent ability that you may use on most teams.

Rotom-H up to B rank. It is a cut above other supports currently in B- like Whimsicott.
Politoed is generally outclassed by other helping hand users although I think it's scarf set is pretty cool. However I think it still should be in B.

Reserved for Pokemon that fit well in the VGC15 metagame, but they have notable flaws that prevent them from filling their role to the fullest extent. The Pokemon in this tier are either predictable, require some team support to work to it's full potential, or are at disadvantageous match-ups against some common threats. The flaws that the Pokemon in this tier have are mostly mitigated by their positive traits.

First, Rain is very matchup dependent, and Politoed has two sets, support, and scarf. That's pretty predictable and you can easily tell by which abilities go up first. Like pressure, intimidate, etc...

Ludicolo is actually used without rain for its assault vest set. It is predictable both in and out of rain while again, being very matchup dependent because if it's low speed and defenses.
these are some good points. i'd like to see more discussion on these guys along with a possible vote on the subject.

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Regarding Mephisto's statement, i agree with all of the points except for Amoonguss. It's a great support Pokemon and all and it's very splashable, however it is easily beaten by Taunt, which is getting more common with Gengar being more popular and Thundurus being legal. Also grass types like Mega Venusaur and Safety Goggles Pokemon can completely ignore it. We also have now Mega Metagross and Mega Salamence, both of which can OHKO Amoonguss with relative ease, and Heatran as well who can set up a sub right in front of Amoonguss. Amoonguss also faces competition with Togekiss and Clefable for redirection support. I think Amoonguss is good, don't get me wrong, it's just not really S material.

i really don't find landorus-t worthy of s-rank

intimidate is certainly an amazing ability to have, but landog just has way too many pokemon that beat it outright (suicune, rotom-w, bulky waters in general) and bisharp is exceedingly common; against the standard variant, LO +1 sucker ohkos it 68% of the time. being a choice pokemon in vgc is also kind of hard; being locked into earthquake when your partner isn't immune to it (in some situations you're forced to protect, especially if you're something like a heatran) or being locked into EQ when either opponent is immune is frustrating, especially in scenarios where landorus ends up being one of the last pokemon (which happens because lando often leads and u-turns away)

the popular anti-lead gengar with icy wind also kinda shits on it, as icy wind 2kos and lando-t is slower than gar after the first wind; rock slide only doing around 30%.

landorus-t is a pokemon with very polarized matchups. it kinda invalidates certain pokemon like terrakion, heatran, and charizard-y just by being on the board, but suicune, rotom-w, gengar, jellicent, etc do the same thing to it. i think as the metagame continues to grow, scarf will decrease in popularity in favor of things like band, assault vest, and sash. i still think landorus-t has a lot of good things going for it; ground stab, 145 base attack, intimidate, and a unique speed tier are all really good things. but i'd probably want to see it in A+

i really don't find landorus-t worthy of s-rank

intimidate is certainly an amazing ability to have, but landog just has way too many pokemon that beat it outright (suicune, rotom-w, bulky waters in general) and bisharp is exceedingly common; against the standard variant, LO +1 sucker ohkos it 68% of the time. being a choice pokemon in vgc is also kind of hard; being locked into earthquake when your partner isn't immune to it (in some situations you're forced to protect, especially if you're something like a heatran) or being locked into EQ when either opponent is immune is frustrating, especially in scenarios where landorus ends up being one of the last pokemon (which happens because lando often leads and u-turns away)

the popular anti-lead gengar with icy wind also kinda shits on it, as icy wind 2kos and lando-t is slower than gar after the first wind; rock slide only doing around 30%.

landorus-t is a pokemon with very polarized matchups. it kinda invalidates certain pokemon like terrakion, heatran, and charizard-y just by being on the board, but suicune, rotom-w, gengar, jellicent, etc do the same thing to it. i think as the metagame continues to grow, scarf will decrease in popularity in favor of things like band, assault vest, and sash. i still think landorus-t has a lot of good things going for it; ground stab, 145 base attack, intimidate, and a unique speed tier are all really good things. but i'd probably want to see it in A+
First of all, with a proper EVs investment Lando can survive to a LO +1 Sucker Punch Bisharp, the minimum required is 12 HP/ 96 Def, and you can simply subtract the EVs in the scarf set in speed and atk without losing any potential OHKO, 212/228 evs are fine for outspeed what he need to outspeed, exactly M-Manectric (212) and Scarf Smeargle (228); For example i play this EVs spread wich work perfectly fine: EVs: 12 HP / 176 Atk / 92 Def / 228 Spe
As you said, you can simply not play a choice item in favor of a Focus Sash or an Assault Vest for prevent to be OHKOed any Ice move, especially when your team is fast and have a good speed control.
Also the Scarf set can use Knock Off against Gengar or even U-Turn on it, break the sash, and prevent from being damaged.
Yes being locked in a move is not even good, but you must know when use a proper move for prevent to finish in a bad situation.
Landorus does pretty well it's job, it give momentum and spam intimidate and spread move like nobody else, which are very useful in the VGC metagame.
Keep it in S, or at least S- for differentiate it from Kangaskhan.

Last edited:
Apologies for posting as a relative noob but I have a few thoughts nonetheless:

First, I'll agree with DaAwesomeDude1 about an overrated Amoonguss. In addition to his points, I'd like to mention the prevalence of spread moves rendering redirection strategies moot. With ORAS tutors, Hyper Voice and Heat Wave are now everywhere and it seems that Wide Guard is a much more useful this generation than Rage Powder and Follow Me. This leaves Breloom, Venusaur, etc. as better sleep inducers in my (admittedly inexperienced) opinion.

Second, in keeping with my last few posts about Aerodactyl, I think he should be bumped higher than B- because of his utility and speed. I will simply compare him to Talonflame (A+) assuming they are similar enough as team support:

• Similar bulk and weaknesses, as well as speed tier.
  • Similar offensive presence (Talonflame = higher BP moves, Aerodactyl = higher attack stat).
  • Wide Guard vs. Quick Guard support. Equally useful depending on the team.
  • Talonflame has priority Tailwind and Brave Bird, but can be screwed by enemy Quick Guard.
  • Aerodactyl has an excellent STAB Rock Slide and Sky Drop.
If I am wrong to compare these two, so be it, otherwise I think the A-Dact should get some love.

Regarding Mephisto's statement, i agree with all of the points except for Amoonguss. It's a great support Pokemon and all and it's very splashable, however it is easily beaten by Taunt, which is getting more common with Gengar being more popular and Thundurus being legal. Also grass types like Mega Venusaur and Safety Goggles Pokemon can completely ignore it. We also have now Mega Metagross and Mega Salamence, both of which can OHKO Amoonguss with relative ease, and Heatran as well who can set up a sub right in front of Amoonguss. Amoonguss also faces competition with Togekiss and Clefable for redirection support. I think Amoonguss is good, don't get me wrong, it's just not really S material.

Second, in keeping with my last few posts about Aerodactyl, I think he should be bumped higher than B- because of his utility and speed. I will simply compare him to Talonflame (A+) assuming they are similar enough as team support:

• Similar bulk and weaknesses, as well as speed tier.
  • Similar offensive presence (Talonflame = higher BP moves, Aerodactyl = higher attack stat).
  • Wide Guard vs. Quick Guard support. Equally useful depending on the team.
  • Talonflame has priority Tailwind and Brave Bird, but can be screwed by enemy Quick Guard.
  • Aerodactyl has an excellent STAB Rock Slide and Sky Drop.
If I am wrong to compare these two, so be it, otherwise I think the A-Dact should get some love.
A-dact is a niche pick, there are better wide guard users and better tail wind users as well, and sky drop is terrible and should never be brought up ever as a pro to a pokemons use. In general, there are better mons that offer what it offers with better defenses. Notable mons include suicune, aegislash, and zapdos

Actually, I would agree with Memphisto on every point he made, except for Landorus-T's move down to S-. I think that Landorus-T should be moved down even more (to A+) just because it loses to really every Water, Grass, and Ground type, which have all become increasingly popular in this metagame (Suicune, Rotom-W, Swampert, Jellicent, Amoonguss, Venusaur, Breloom, etc), along with many more really common threats, including Salamence (which can set up a Dragon Dance on it and easily sweep) and Bisharp (which can Life Orb Sucker Punch and OHKO).

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Landorus T doesn't lose, it u turns out to a better matchup. The sheer utility and multiple roles Landrous fulfills in just one set puts it at A already. It's Scarf set, not even the best, is amazing and it's bulkier ass vest, sash, and other sets are just as good.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm currently playing a Rain team that I love, but I agree that it is probably B ranked at the moment. With proper team support and set up, a Rain mode can add a lot to a team in terms of power and speed. It gives your team versatility by giving you multiple modes and gives you a great match up in certain circumstances. However, as previously stated, its very straight forward and predictable. It has plenty of checks and full on counters, and the option takes 1/3 of your team, this isn't something that can just be slapped on a team. It takes the team support and forethought indicative of B rank to make the mode operate at full potential. I'd personally give it B+ because it can be monstrous on the right team, but I definitely think it belongs in the B category.

I think Landorus-T shouldn't drop to A categories as it still can run plenty of variants besides Scarf (LO, Band, AV, Focus Sash, etc) and most of the other variants tender to run a more bulky EV spread (AV Landoge can survive Rotom-W Hydro Pump, etc). On the Mega Kangaskhan point, i actually think it should go down to A categories. A LOT of things introduced in this meta are played just to counter Kangaskhan. We have Intimidate, Will-O-Wisp, Rocky Helmet, Terrakion, Substitute Mega Metagross, Gengar and other ghost-types, etc. The great VGC players aren't wasting their time and making innovations just to make Kangaskhan fear even more (Wolfe Glick's Mega Banette, for example). I'm not saying it isn't a great mega, it is still one of the strongest Mega Evolutions in the VGC metagame. It's just that now, Mega Kangaskhan started needing a lot of support to work properly (Tailwind Support, Follow Me/Rage Powder, Defiant Users, Taunt users, Landorus-T checks, Gengar/Aegislash checks, etc).

Honestly, i somehow agree with Skarm_Steel about Kangaskhan. It really is just no longer as dominating as before. I used it, and it wasnt what i though. Kangaskhan is probably best example in the entire history of VGC that pokemon can be too good; powerful, top tier threat, and so good, that everyone start to run as many thing as it hates: Will-O-Wisp, Ghost-types, Intimidate etc. Kanga can be still very effective, as against most of those it has partners to deal with them, but in my opionion, it possibly wont deserve as high rank as Landorus-T. Kanga cant be no longer slapped onto every team, and it do need support to be effective. Landorus, on other hand, barely needs any kind of support at all, and can be pretty easily slapped onto almost any team (tho its risky to use on heavily rain-based team) As long as Bisharp/Milotic is not in the field, it can just spam U-Turn and spread Intimidates, then return and either spam decently powerful Rock slides or STAB EQs coming from 140 Atk. That sounds more a S rank for me. Kangaskhan just doesnt fit into this category anymore.

I suggest dropping Mega Kanga into A+ rank.

Last edited:

leremyju

Banned deucer.
I must disagree with the above explanations.

First and foremost, VGC is a matchup game. The fact that we show six in preview and pix four means that Kangaskhan is not always the win condition. Rather, Kangaskhan can consistently punch holes in teams and offer a fast and bulky offensive presence. Although it does take a Mega slot it has extremely low risk and high reward.

Next, some counters mentioned where Intimidate, Will o Wisp, Gengar/Aegislash. First I will address specific pokemon. Aegislash and Gengar are top 50, probably 25 in usage. Every team should have a way to beat them. Of course, Kangaskhan centric teams will make sure they have answers, but in general people will want ways to deal with common metagame threats. I also don't see how Landorus-T is a counter. It gets smacked by Return/Double-Edge and Scarf Superpower doesn't knock off many bulky kang that survive adamant kang Low Kicks.

Last, Intimidate and Will o Wisp are something all physical attackers deal with. Some pokemon carry Lum Berry, maybe a White Herb, Bisharp has defiant, what does Kangaskhan have? Kangaskhan can run Power up Punch and neutralize burns and Intimidates. A lot of times teams double protect expecting fake out, only to see Kang PuP its own teammate. What separates Kangaskhan from other physical attackers is that it possesses one of the best abilities and combination of power, bulk, and speed.

Tl;dr: extremely consistent mega. It stil, deals with things other physical attackers do and has ways to neutralize them.

Stay in S King Kang

Kangaskhan is as certainly more manageable now than it was last season, however, it is no way less S rank than it was last season. Kangaskhan's only buff on the transition between VGC 14 and VGC 15 was Low Kick, a move which lets it reliably OHKO bulkier Steel-types and opposing Kangaskhans. Will-O-Wisp is far less prevalent this season than it was last season, so this argument is less true now than it has ever been. Intimidate is a real factor which must be considered when running a physical attacker, and yet the metagame is predominantly physical. Intimidate arguably hurts Landorus-T more than it hurts Kangaskhan, 140 base Attack is bigger than Kangaskhan's 125, before you factor in Parental Bond which takes Kangaskhan's actual Attack stat somewhere around 200. On top of that Landorus-T's is reliant on spread moves which deal even less damage when intimidated. So Intimidate while a legitimate argument is irrelevant as it affects all physical attackers, not just Kangaskhan. There are two maybe three relevant Ghost-types, Aegislash, Gengar, and maybe Jellicent. All three of these Pokemon while good have very exploitable weaknesses, while Kangaskhan can't handle them they are all able to be dealt with relatively similar Pokemon. This means that Kangaskhan requires minimal team support. While saying any Pokemon needs team support is generally a reason for them not be S Rank, Kangaskhan is more than capable of providing offensive support for the Pokemon which support it. This is a far more symbiotic relationship than most other Pokemon which require team support have. Landorus-T requires far more support arguably than Kangaskhan, because of it's reliance on Choice Scarf or Choice Band the move that Landorus-T locks itself into can be capitalized off of. Assault Vest while more capable of taking hits, is both slower and generally weaker which diminishes the reason to use Landorus-T in the first place for more durability. Landorus-T can't just be slapped on a team, Earthquake hits you're own Pokemon. You need at least one other immunity to Earthquake on your team for Landorus-T to be a other worthwhile pick.

I could use these points to make the argument that Landorus-T should be A+ rank, but I won't because Landorus-T is an S rank Pokemon. Every Pokemon has flaws, however, Kangaskhan's and Landorus-T's consistency and their shaping force on the metagame can't be denied.

The three changes I want to see in A rank are:
Politoed A ==> B+
Ludicolo A ==> A-
Azumarill A- ==> B rank

Politoed only exists on one play style, and even then it is being used more for its ability. Politoed isn't a good Pokemon, Drizzle is a good ability. While the Drizzle and Politoed are effectively one and the same, it balances out to rain being a match-up based play style. Because rain is so match-up based, a rain team has to be able to play without rain and thereby Politoed. This redundancy on its own play style is really what limits Politoed from being A rank for me.

Ludicolo on the other hand has usage outside of rain, being able to take on relevant Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Heatran, and Landorus-T. This support value can be capitalized on outside of rain by Pokemon such as Mega Salamence, which appreciates all of these Pokemon being taken care of. Predominantly found on rain Ludicolo should be ranked similarly to Politoed, however the support value on teams which aren't using rain is reason enough for it to be ranked a little higher.

Azumarill is very underwhelming. While Huge Power, and an excellent typing are definitely strikes in its favour, overall it is lacking the consistency it had last season. Last season a Belly Drum sweep was hard enough, now that amoonguss has a harder time it even harder to sweep. The main Pokemon which the Assault Vest set dealt with have also dropped in popularity, resulting in AV Azumarill being far less capable in many of the common match-ups. While certainly usable it is by no means an A rank Pokemon.

Last edited:
i've moved azumarill down to B+ and cresselia up to A from A-. B+ should fit azumarill better, for reasons Chenkovsky . even with the raichu and/or amoonguss setup, it doesn't set up belly drums like it could last year with all the sylveon hyper voices and more thundurus and the recent rise in mega venusaur, but obviously an instant +6 setup with priority isn't something to be taken lightly.

cress is just consistent support and the best overally trick room user, so A should fit it better. it's not as good as suicune this season though since it lacks much of any offensive presence, except when it opts for an expert belt set (which is a cool setup for cress, and i'd recommend taking a look at it sometime if you haven't already).

i could see ludicolo dropping as far as A-, but not to B because of its overall utility in and out of rain, even if it does have a subpar defense stat. it also suffers from being hard checked by talonflame (and sometimes megamence) like conkeldurr, which is basically what keeps conkeldurr from higher A ranks besides sylveon (and conk can actually take a hyper voice with assault vest... barely). and again, the low defense means it gets OHKOed by kangaskhan, mawile, and maybe even megagross pretty easily as long as scald doesn't burn. but again, checking rotom-w, suicune, heatran, etc along with good special defense and typing makes it a solid overall mon.

i like the discussion on landorus-t and politoed, though, so keep it up.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
I agree with Politoed dropping to B+ reasons are pretty much what everyone else has said lol. Kangaskhan should not go to A+, it's perfectly fine in S, reasons are above. As for Landorus, I don't agree with it dropping to A+ either. It has amazing utility and like Leremyju said above, Landorus can just U-Turn out of a bad matchup and as a bonus, it allows you to Intimidate shuffle. It also has very respectable stats with a whopping base 145 atk and pretty decent bulk as well (combined with Intimidate which makes it even better). The scarf set also allows Landorus T to act like a nice late game cleaner. Although Landorus is beaten by bulky Water/Grass types, the same applies the other way around. Landorus can beat quite a lot of Pokemon in this metagame (heatran, terrakion, metagross, etc). The amount of viable items that Landorus can be running too can often lead to your opponent guessing what it is. All in all it's a great Pokemon and it should stay in S. IMO S rank is fine as it is; nothing should be moved down from S or move up to S.

Gonna suggest Mega Metagross to A+:
It has insane power and speed coupled with its good bulk. Not to mention it flat out beats a ton of common Pokemon such as terrakion, most fairy types, and Amoonguss. Substitute allows you to pretty much beat Cresselia too since Cress can't do anything to you, also it allows you to bypass Will-o-Wisps, Intimidate, and Sucker Punches.

Honestly, i wasn't thinking when i made my Kangaskhan opinion. A few minutes after posting it, i thought "What the heck i just did? Kangaskhan allowed me to be in top 8 at nats and i'm doing a Kangaskhan analysis just now. I can't say Kanga doesn't deserve S rank just of its flaws". Then i also remembered Facade Kanga was a thing, and Ice Punch too. Sooooo.... i'm so embarrased, kill me pls ;n;

When talking about Politoed......i agree with dropping it down to B+. It just don't have as much utility as it needs to perform his support role and it's there just for setting up the rain. I also think Ludi shouldn't drop below A categories because AV ludi is pretty good out of rain.....just underrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a noob at smogon but I'm learning a lot in VCG and battle spot so here some of my opinions.

Mega-Metagross to A+: I think the last tournaments showed us how great of a mega is and how it can punch holes. It can run good coverage and even Sub-sets are efficient. Hell, it can even become Sucker Punch immune (one of its biggest threat) by running Bullet Punch. I think it's a better of Mega-Mawile. Even if it lacks the immediate power of Mmawile it makes it up with its great speed and being bulkier overall.

Mega-Salamence to A: I think this mega is pretty overhyped tbh. The special set is really lacking power and the most common physical set(earthquake, double edge, Ddance) is totally walled by really common pokemons like Thundurus (it's everywhere), Rotom (less common but still found often) and Zapdos (less common than others but still quite used). The quadruple weakness to ice is really detrimental with icy wind being spammed right now.

Mega-Tyranitar to B: I seriously wonder how can someone use this mega now. It's just a bulkier tyranitar that wastes your mega slot. Normal tyranitar still brings sand and can run variety of different sets (choice scarf, assault vest, hell, even weakness policy).

Have to agree with dropping Politoed to B+, while being my favorite weather starter that's legal in vgc with t-tar being a close second, it just isn't as strong in the '15 meta. The support set is outclassed by other supports like cresselia and while the scarf set is what I ran last year it isn't as strong this year either and rather predictable.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Going to post arrows indicating where I think the Pokemon should generally be encouraged to go since while I feel like some of these are okay, there's a few that are either outdated or way out of place.

S-Rank
Landorus-T
Kangaskhan-mega

A-Rank
A+ Rank
Amoonguss ↓↓↓
Aegislash
Bisharp ↓
Charizard-Mega Y ↓
Gengar ↓
Heatran
Sylveon ↓
Salamence-Mega
Suicune
talonflame ↓↓
Rotom-W ↓↓
Thundurus ↓
Terrakion

A Rank
Cresselia ↑
Hydreigon ↓
Ludicolo ↓
Politoed ↓
Mawile-mega ↓↓
Metagross-mega ↑
Venusaur-mega ↓
Zapdos ↓

A- Rank
Clefable
Conkeldurr
Gardevoir-mega ↓
Gengar-Mega
Gyarados
Latios ↓
Togekiss ↓
Tyranitar ↓↓
Tyranitar-mega ↓↓↓

B-Rank
B+ Rank
Azumarill ↓
gyarados-mega
excadrill ↓↓
chandelure
ferrothorn
breloom ↑
scizor
scizor-mega ↓
scrafty
gothitelle ↓
jellicent
lucario-mega ↓
hariyama ↓
arcanine
Swampert

B Rank
Camerupt-Mega
aromatisse ↓↓↓
volcarona
kingdra ↑
manectric-mega ↓↓↓
mamoswine ↑
thundurus-t ↑
sableye ↑↑
milotic
entei
raikou
Garchomp
Gardevoir ↓↓↓

B- Rank
tornadus ↓↓↓
infernape
gourgeist-super
escavalier

gallade ↓↓↓
gallade-mega ↓
rhydon ↓
rhyperior
whimsicott
rotom-heat ↑↑↑↑↑ (wtf is this doing here)
lucario
salamence ↓
slowbro-mega
abomasnow-mega
abomasnow
Aerodactyl

C-Rank
C+ Rank

altaria-mega
blastoise-mega

blaziken ↑↑↑
blaziken-mega ↑
clefairy ↑↑↑↑↑
dragalgae

gastrodon ↑↑↑
Hitmontop
Lapras

liepard ↑
machamp ↑
musharna
reuniclus
smeargle
staraptor
Swampert-Mega
Venusaur

virizion ↑↑↑
Weavile ↑↑↑

C Rank
charizard-mega X
dragonite

dusclops ↑↑
Garchomp-Mega
Greninja ↑↑
klefki
landorus-i
meowstic-male
pinsir-mega

porygon-2 ↑↑
Sceptile-Mega ↑
slowbro
slowking
trevenant

D-Rank
ampharos-mega
banette-mega ↑↑↑
beedrill-mega
cloyster
glalie-mega

jumpluff ↑↑
Lopunny-mega ↑↑↑
malamar ↑↑
Medicham-Mega

Ninetales ↑↑↑↑
noivern
Pachirisu ↑↑↑
parasect
pidgeot-mega

rotom-C ↑↑↑
rotom-F
sharpedo-mega
steelix-mega
vivillon

E-Rank
sableye-mega ↑↑↑↑
blissey
chansey
shuckle

hippowdon ↑↑
jolteon ↑↑
espeon
flygon

kangaskhan ↑↑↑
rotom-S

Last edited:
To add more to my previous post.

Mega-Charizard Y to A: The sole presence of Terrakion, Landorus, Thundurus, Rotom-H (that should be ranked higher btw) should be enough to drop it. It's not menacing as before and it hates having one of these pokemon against.

Metagross to C: I don't get why normal metagross is not even ranked, its assault vest set is still bulky as hell and Metagross is a pokemon that still works even without an item, so you have the option to run double mega.

Last edited:
Going to post arrows indicating where I think the Pokemon should generally be encouraged to go since while I feel like some of these are okay, there's a few that are either outdated or way out of place.

S-Rank
Landorus-T
Kangaskhan-mega

A-Rank
A+ Rank
Amoonguss ↓↓↓
Aegislash
Bisharp ↓
Charizard-Mega Y ↓
Gengar ↓
Heatran
Sylveon ↓
Salamence-Mega
Suicune
talonflame ↓↓
Rotom-W ↓↓
Thundurus ↓
Terrakion

A Rank
Cresselia ↑
Hydreigon ↓
Ludicolo ↓
Politoed ↓
Mawile-mega ↓↓
Metagross-mega ↑
Venusaur-mega ↓
Zapdos ↓

A- Rank
Clefable
Conkeldurr
Gardevoir-mega ↓
Gengar-Mega
Gyarados
Latios ↓
Togekiss ↓
Tyranitar ↓↓
Tyranitar-mega ↓↓↓

B-Rank
B+ Rank
Azumarill ↓
gyarados-mega
excadrill ↓↓
chandelure
ferrothorn
breloom ↑
scizor
scizor-mega ↓
scrafty
gothitelle ↓
jellicent
lucario-mega ↓
hariyama ↓
arcanine
Swampert

B Rank
Camerupt-Mega
aromatisse ↓↓↓
volcarona
kingdra ↑
manectric-mega ↓↓↓
mamoswine ↑
thundurus-t ↑
sableye ↑↑
milotic
entei
raikou
Garchomp
Gardevoir ↓↓↓

B- Rank
tornadus ↓↓↓
infernape
gourgeist-super
escavalier

gallade ↓↓↓
gallade-mega ↓
rhydon ↓
rhyperior
whimsicott
rotom-heat ↑↑↑↑↑ (wtf is this doing here)
lucario
salamence ↓
slowbro-mega
abomasnow-mega
abomasnow
Aerodactyl

C-Rank
C+ Rank

altaria-mega
blastoise-mega

blaziken ↑↑↑
blaziken-mega ↑
clefairy ↑↑↑↑↑
dragalgae

gastrodon ↑↑↑
Hitmontop
Lapras

liepard ↑
machamp ↑
musharna
reuniclus
smeargle
staraptor
Swampert-Mega
Venusaur

virizion ↑↑↑
Weavile ↑↑↑

C Rank
charizard-mega X
dragonite

dusclops ↑↑
Garchomp-Mega
Greninja ↑↑
klefki
landorus-i
meowstic-male
pinsir-mega

porygon-2 ↑↑
Sceptile-Mega ↑
slowbro
slowking
trevenant

D-Rank
ampharos-mega
banette-mega ↑↑↑
beedrill-mega
cloyster
glalie-mega

jumpluff ↑↑
Lopunny-mega ↑↑↑
malamar ↑↑
Medicham-Mega

Ninetales ↑↑↑↑
noivern
Pachirisu ↑↑↑
parasect
pidgeot-mega

rotom-C ↑↑↑
rotom-F
sharpedo-mega
steelix-mega
vivillon

E-Rank
sableye-mega ↑↑↑↑
blissey
chansey
shuckle

hippowdon ↑↑
jolteon ↑↑
espeon
flygon

kangaskhan ↑↑↑
rotom-S
I agree with most of these except for rotom-h and the ones in C-E that you think should be bumped all the way up to A and B territory. For instance, blaziken/mega-blaziken are too frail and would only get one turn then die to anything that hits for SFE damage which there is a lot of with lando-t being around and being able to not only give blaziken -1 attack and if unless I'm mistaken even at +1 attack lando-t with its favorite scarf still outspeeds. If anything normal blaziken should drop down to C or C- as it needs much more team support to have any usefulness and with mons like lando-t around, it either sits in back until lando is gone or it isn't brought at all

Last edited:
I decided to move Breloom to A- and Rotom-H to B+

Expect this to be put into alphabetical order by Sunday

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with most of these except for rotom-h and the ones in C-E that you think should be bumped all the way up to A and B territory. For instance, blaziken/mega-blaziken are too frail and would only get one turn then die to anything that hits for SFE damage which there is a lot of with lando-t being around and being able to not only give blaziken -1 attack and if unless I'm mistaken even at +1 attack lando-t with its favorite scarf still outspeeds. If anything normal blaziken should drop down to C or C- as it needs much more team support to have any usefulness
Actually I agree that Blaziken should be bumped up into B range. Maybe B-, but I've been playing around with it and its power and coverage is really nice. It OKHOs a lot of the metagame and has a lot of really nice coverage options. Being frail doesn't exclude you from B rank, Lucario, Breloom, and Infernape all have problems with common threats such as Landorus, Thunderus, and Talonflame. Blaziken does require team support and has some "notable flaws," but that's more indicative of a B rank. There's nothing about Blaziken that speaks "crippling flaws" more than any other frail B rank sweeper.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
I agree with most of these except for rotom-h and the ones in C-E that you think should be bumped all the way up to A and B territory. For instance, blaziken/mega-blaziken are too frail and would only get one turn then die to anything that hits for SFE damage which there is a lot of with lando-t being around and being able to not only give blaziken -1 attack and if unless I'm mistaken even at +1 attack lando-t with its favorite scarf still outspeeds. If anything normal blaziken should drop down to C or C- as it needs much more team support to have any usefulness and with mons like lando-t around, it either sits in back until lando is gone or it isn't brought at all
Rotom-H is one that's got a very good objective case for it. It's had a good amount of success at the first round of Regionals, and its typing and ability are pretty unmatched right now. Mega Blaziken is unproven so I could see it staying where it's at (although I can almost promise someone will eventually tap into it), but regular Blaziken is really solid and underutilized right now. Sure, it's frail, but so are A-rank Talonflame, Gengar, Bisharp, and Terrakion. It's more about what it brings to the table on the teams it's on. It can outspeed (after a Speed Boost) and KO Landorus-T, Kangaskhan, Heatran, Bisharp, Terrakion, and Aegislash.

Certainly don't think any should be bumped from C-E into A-B barring the obvious one (Clefairy) and two others that have seen success at Regionals the last two weeks (Virizion, Weavile). The arrows don't indicate exactly how far I'd move them up, rather how strongly I feel about where they should be moving.

Also agree with the above post that Metagross should be in C or even C+ / B- (regular Metagross)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)