ORAS OU RMT: OU ORAS Mega Altaria Team

Hi All! I'm currently preparing an OU team for a tournament and I wanted to see what people think. I'm pretty new OU and don't have much battle experience or team building. XD Anyway lets get started:

Altaria-Mega
upload_2015-3-3_8-50-59.png

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 64 HP / 192 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

This is a typical bulky DD Mega Altaria. I wanted her as a win condition and this is the pokemon my entire team was built around. This build is basically to take some hits while trying to stay healthy and deal out damage. Dragon Dance is for setup, Roost for sustain, Return for coverage and stab, and EQ for coverage.

Heatran @ Leftovers
upload_2015-3-3_8-51-15.png

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power
- Stealth Rock
- Roar​

I chose Heatran as my second pokemon because he is a great special defense wall and is able to check fairies. His set provides some coverage while running some utility that I needed. SR is for my hazards for my team. Now I had to choose between Taunt/Roar and I chose Roar because since I was running SR it would be able to Roar pokemon into SR rather than use taunt. I also chose Heatran because he is a good partner for Meg Altaria being able to resist all its weaknesses.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
upload_2015-3-3_8-51-28.png

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Scald​

Next is Keldeo. Like her role in most of the current meta game (God I hope I'm not wrong about this) is a solid scarf revenge killer. I desperately needed a water pokemon and she fit the role quite well. I did run Icy Wind over HP Bug because I personally have had a lot more success with it and I really needed some good ice coverage somewhere.

I'm questioning Hydro Pump for HP Bug instead as I don't use it alot? Maybe because I just haven't put myself into a situation where I really needed it.

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
upload_2015-3-3_8-51-40.png

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Volt Switch

This is one of my defensive tanks and my defogger. He was a great pokemon because he was a good switch in for Keldeo and a couple other pokemon and him and Keldeo work well together. He has pretty good coverage and defog for obvious reasons.

One thing I really would love on is wither or not to run HP Ice instead of Roost. My reason being as I don't end up using Roost again but again could just be haven't been a proper situation to need it.

Celebi @ Leftovers
upload_2015-3-3_8-51-56.png

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 176 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Recover

So after expirmenting wtih my previous team I really needed a Grass pokemon and a way to get rid of pesky Rotom-Ws and other pesky water pokemon. It is setup as a Sp def tank with some setup. This one has been a great help as it helps Heatran with absorbing some special attacks. It also is a hard check to Keldeo who is a popular metagame pokemon. I'm running Nasty Plot because I don't run much special attack EVs, Psychic for coverage, Giga Drain coverage and sustain and Recover for sustain.

Debating Baton Pass on this one. Didn't put in because I didn't utilize it when I had and I hated not having Psychic.

Scizor @ Choice Band (Was running Occa Berry previously today)
upload_2015-3-3_8-52-11.png

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

This is my other defense tank that has proven itself really useful. Scizor brings more resistances needed to the team and priority moves. Bullet Punch is for priority and coverage, Roost is for sustain, Bug Bite is for coverage and item removal, and Knock is as well for coverage and item removal.

I am however starting to doubt running 3 attacks. I am probably overthinking and I find many situations were I wished I had sword dance but I think that would too much setup within my team.

Thats it! Thank you all to who review this.​

that scizor set makes no sense for a choice band set, at all. zard x and zard y both can wreck you and as dose kyuremb fast mega scizor can also beat you as your only counter is zap and zap is really bad imo. i would run more speed on celebi. Tbh alot of your sets need adjustment i would try to help more but i need to sleep.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
OK I could see a few places where this team could use some fine tuning. The first thing that pops out is that I see one obvious win condition (Mega-Altaria) and another possible win condition (Nastypass Celebi to Scarf Keldeo if you want to go Nastypass). I think if you are going to have these two options as your primary win conditions, the support you are providing them does not make complete sense. The easier option is to change your secondary win condition from Celebi to Clefable, which will fit much better because it can take any attack from Rotom-Wash and set up on Mega Sableye, which your team currently has no answer for. The standard CM set is what I'm thinking here - CM / Moonblast / Flamethrower / Softboiled, Magic Guard, with 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef and a Bold Nature. Also helps against Thundurus and some dragons which I could see being an issue.

As for Zapdos and Scizor, I think you're overthinking it. The only time to really use Sitrus Berry is on something like BD Azumarill, otherwise Leftovers is the preferred item, always. CB Scizor should be running Max Attack, Max HP, with 4 attacks (Superpower over Roost). In general, I recommend sticking with the Smogon standard sets until you have enough experience to justify your changes. While the Smogon EV spread for Zapdos is somewhat complex (248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe), the adjustments are for beating Mega Pinsir and for outspeeding Adamant Bisharp, which is very helpful for this team.

One small minor cosmetic change is to try Earth Power over Roar / Taunt on Heatran. It's nice for hitting other Heatrans and fire-resists such as Victini.

Hope that helps! I've included an importable for testing purposes. Feel free to include it in your RMT.

Altaria-Mega (M) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 64 HP / 192 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SDef / 68 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Seito Hakari

Cheerio!
Mamoswine is a bit of a problem to your team and I wouldn't run Roost with a Choice Band. Also Unaware Clefable completely counters Altaria along with Shadow Tag Gothitelle, who can just CM and Rest. This is my first time critiquing a team, so don't be hard on me. :X

that scizor set makes no sense for a choice band set, at all. zard x and zard y both can wreck you and as dose kyuremb fast mega scizor can also beat you as your only counter is zap and zap is really bad imo. i would run more speed on celebi. Tbh alot of your sets need adjustment i would try to help more but i need to sleep.
well Scizor and keldeo scares Mamo out. but you are right. its a problem, but you can deal with it :]

I only did start competitive play recently so I have very little knowledge in building pokemon and sets as a whole

Mamoswine is a bit of a problem to your team and I wouldn't run Roost with a Choice Band. Also Unaware Clefable completely counters Altaria along with Shadow Tag Gothitelle, who can just CM and Rest. This is my first time critiquing a team, so don't be hard on me. :X
Haha no worries, I'm all for criticism if its accurate and the reasons why are valid and yours are. I'm retarded I forgot that Roost was still on Scizor.

OK I could see a few places where this team could use some fine tuning. The first thing that pops out is that I see one obvious win condition (Mega-Altaria) and another possible win condition (Nastypass Celebi to Scarf Keldeo if you want to go Nastypass). I think if you are going to have these two options as your primary win conditions, the support you are providing them does not make complete sense. The easier option is to change your secondary win condition from Celebi to Clefable, which will fit much better because it can take any attack from Rotom-Wash and set up on Mega Sableye, which your team currently has no answer for. The standard CM set is what I'm thinking here - CM / Moonblast / Flamethrower / Softboiled, Magic Guard, with 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef and a Bold Nature. Also helps against Thundurus and some dragons which I could see being an issue.

As for Zapdos and Scizor, I think you're overthinking it. The only time to really use Sitrus Berry is on something like BD Azumarill, otherwise Leftovers is the preferred item, always. CB Scizor should be running Max Attack, Max HP, with 4 attacks (Superpower over Roost). In general, I recommend sticking with the Smogon standard sets until you have enough experience to justify your changes. While the Smogon EV spread for Zapdos is somewhat complex (248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe), the adjustments are for beating Mega Pinsir and for outspeeding Adamant Bisharp, which is very helpful for this team.

One small minor cosmetic change is to try Earth Power over Roar / Taunt on Heatran. It's nice for hitting other Heatrans and fire-resists such as Victini.

Hope that helps! I've included an importable for testing purposes. Feel free to include it in your RMT.

Altaria-Mega (M) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 64 HP / 192 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SDef / 68 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off
Yeah the EVs def need work, those atm were just off the top of my head but I do like the changes you had made. So ok so I do the same thing with Mandibuzz as I do with Zapdos in this case and it may not make total sense but I do have a friend who is a very high OU player that explained this to me. So for Zapdos I felt Sitrus berry is better because Zapdos may not be in for as many turns as it does for Leftovers heals as an amount of a Sitrus Berry. It also allows your pokemon from being 2 shot when just the right amount opposing damage is done to the pokemon. I may have completely botched that explaination he gave me but I don't know that gives you kind of an idea of what I was thinking at the time.

I suggest replacing Scald with HP-Bug since I don't think you'll need Scald that much since you have Hydro Pump and for me Hydro Pump is just much more convenient and has a better chance to OHKO
Also I suggest running Scizor like this
Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Technician Nature
EV Spread: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
Moveset:
Bug Bite
Bullet Punch
Knock Off
Superpower
It works really good and it has coverage for almost anything but if a sneaky Fire or Dragon type wants to switch in, you can always go into Heatran :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)