(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

We were never supposed to rig the RNG in our favour anyway... I really resent these people who think of it as an ouright given that players were supposed to abuse the games in such a way.
Late reply, but I agree wholeheartedly with this. People, especially those who say "you don't play Pokemon the way you should if you don't dedicate every breathing second to RNGing" (not literally, but that sort of concept), aren't playing it right either. To me, that's what Showdown is for: Removing the game's stipulations on what you can and can't do if you're a competitive player without the time to RNG and just having fun with all-out gameplay.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Mirage Spot TM Log:
Well, after many months playing the game I only need one more TM to complete my collection. Today I just got the TM for Substitute (yup, just got Substitute a popular competitive move so if I wanted a Pokemon with that move I would have to transfer it over to my Y game) and now all I need is TM84, Poison Jab. Being it took me THIS long to get Substitute, I can't even guess how long it takes to get TM84. *sigh*

Now for a new annoyance:

Limited Quick Select: Anyone find Gen VI only giving you 4 quick select slots kind of a step back after Gen V gave us a list? Sure it's neat how Gen VI's Quick Select shows the item's image and selecting an item is just a quick flick of the directional pad, but I find that it gets filled up pretty quickly, especially in ORAS.

I honestly never found I needed more than 4 items at one time. In ORAS I have both bikes, the eon flute and I think it was the super rod.

When would you honestly need more than 4 items? Bike, itemfinder and eon flute is honestly the only items you use often enough that they need the quik sellect. Fishing rod is nice to have there, but you could as well just registere it when you actually need it.

Another annoyance: I have never liked luxrays design, white and gold just doesn't suit it IMO.

Last edited:
Talking of which, I'm sad that you don't get the Lugia music if you have OR and you don't get the Ho-Oh music if you have AS. I wouldn't mind so much if they were numbered differently; but as is the tracks skip a number, as if implying you somehow can get the song.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Delcatty's cry in Gen VI is like nails on a chalkboard. Every time I see one pop up in-game, I have to turn down the volume while it's sent out, which is something I've never had to do before in the history of the franchise. Hell, Electabuzz's Gen I-V cry doesn't bother me as much as Delcatty's, and that's saying something.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Talking of which, I'm sad that you don't get the Lugia music if you have OR and you don't get the Ho-Oh music if you have AS. I wouldn't mind so much if they were numbered differently; but as is the tracks skip a number, as if implying you somehow can get the song.
Honestly in all pvp and the Battle Maison I think all Battle Themes should be available (only exception is the Frontier Brain theme in the Battle Maison since that's the Battle Chatelaine theme; though it should be available in pvp). Let's see, in ORAS they'll have the following themes:

1. Wild Battle
2. Trainer Battle
3. Rival Battle
4. Gym Leader
5. Team Aqua/Magma Grunt/Admin
6. Team Aqua/Magma Boss
7. Wally's Theme
8. Elite Four
9. Champion
10. Zinnia's Theme
11. Groudon/Kyogre Theme
12. Rayquaza Theme
13. Golem Trio Theme
14. Deoxys Theme
15. Beast Trio Crystal Theme
16. Ho-Oh HGSS Theme
17. Lugia HGSS Theme
18. Dialga/Palkia DP Theme
19. Giratina Platinum Theme
20. Lake Guardian DPP Theme
21. Additional Legendary DPP Theme (Heatran & Cresselia)
22. Tao Trio Theme (they all share Kyurem Gen V Theme)
23. Additional Legendary Gen V Theme (Swords of Justice & Kami Trio)
24. Frontier Brain/Battle Chatelaine Theme

Wow, that's actually a lot more then I thought. Still, if the themes are in the game I see no reason why not to let players have access to them in pvp and the Battle Maison.

Honestly in all pvp and the Battle Maison I think all Battle Themes should be available (only exception is the Frontier Brain theme in the Battle Maison since that's the Battle Chatelaine theme; though it should be available in pvp). Let's see, in ORAS they'll have the following themes:

1. Wild Battle
2. Trainer Battle
3. Rival Battle
4. Gym Leader
5. Team Aqua/Magma Grunt/Admin
6. Team Aqua/Magma Boss
7. Wally's Theme
8. Elite Four
9. Champion
10. Zinnia's Theme
11. Groudon/Kyogre Theme
12. Rayquaza Theme
13. Golem Trio Theme
14. Deoxys Theme
15. Beast Trio Crystal Theme
16. Ho-Oh HGSS Theme
17. Lugia HGSS Theme
18. Dialga/Palkia DP Theme
19. Giratina Platinum Theme
20. Lake Guardian DPP Theme
21. Additional Legendary DPP Theme (Heatran & Cresselia)
22. Tao Trio Theme (they all share Kyurem Gen V Theme)
23. Additional Legendary Gen V Theme (Swords of Justice & Kami Trio)
24. Frontier Brain/Battle Chatelaine Theme

Wow, that's actually a lot more then I thought. Still, if the themes are in the game I see no reason why not to let players have access to them in pvp and the Battle Maison.
We... do have access to them in PVP.

Changing tides to... the GTS!

Oh yes, that lovely piece of SHIT full of people asking for Pokemon that can't even be traded. And the worst part is when they write 'plz 6 IVs shiny' as their message. GOD I HATE THAT!!!!!!!

Oh, but it's not just some stupid trollish person's fault, no. This, just like Insomnia Delibird, Unowns, no trading between Gens 2-3, not having a mega-Flygon even thought the vast majority of the fanbase wanted one (it even got its own meme! I mean wth Nintendo!), a trade for a Haunter holding an Everstone, and many many other trademarked trolling aacts, all relates back to every Pokemon player's best friend and worst enemy at the same time. The Pokeworld's God and dictator, and the biggest troll at the same time. It has to be Arceus, you say. Not even close. The RNG, perhaps? Getting there, but no. Then what the hell is it? My fellow smogonites, I must tell you, the only thing that fits the above description is...

GAME FREAK

Yep, that's right. Those little nerdy bastards that made this game are behind the GTS trolls that have come up. One day, those fuckheads decided to have a good idea and gave us the possibility to look for ANY Pokemon in the GTS. BUT PROTO KINGHERACROSSTHEBUG, if they're as trollish as you say they are, why would they be so nice to us? Easy. This new feature came with a devilish side: You could look for Pokemon that are impossible to trade! You just got yourself a nice shiny 6 IVs HA 4 EM fully EV'd and blah blah Froakie, and you want to troll someone? Leave it in the GTS, asking for a Lv. 1-10 Mewtwo, and laugh thinking about the face of whoever looked for a Froakie and stumbled upon yours, wanted to trade it, then realized it can't be traded.

Now, you might be thinking, but that's not devilish enough for them, is it? You're absolutely right. The trolling wouldn't stop at that. You can also look/ask for event-only Pokemon, such as Mew. HOWEVER, you will NOT be able to trade them. EVER! You hear that? That's Troll Freak's devilish laughing, while hundreds of thousands of player get upset because of trolls that use this little perk.

A mind-drawn picture of a typical Troll Freak worker laughing

And here we are, complaining at this and other trollings. Specifically, here I am, struggling to find half of the Pokemon that i'm missing from my Pokedex. Le sigh T_T

More of a nitpick than anything but it is a little thing that irked me- I wish the badge names for Kalos were more...creative. I mean the badge designs themselves are really nice with the 3D form and not being limited to flat designs anymore but Bug Badge? Fairy Badge? Psychic Badge?

I was hoping it was more of a mystery when I talked to an NPC about the badges you can get, being a blind run and all at the time because of the worldwide release thing. I like badge names that aren't the exact same word as the same type of the gym.

A few nicer suggestions would've been something like:

-Lens badge (to go with Viola's photography theme + bugs are know for their peculiar lens-type eyes- maybe the badge design could've been tweaked to this.)
-Cliff badge is actually good and I'm happy with it. If it would have to be different maybe Peak or Pinnacle badge since Grant is at the very top.
-Arena badge for Rumble would fit the skating them better. Still not sure how skating = fighting but hey arena works for both. Also rhymes with Korrina!
-Plant badge I'm actually okay with as well. Seems too simple at first but then I noticed, wow I'm surprised 'Plant' hasn't been used before. If it needed to be different maybe Sprout badge? Old man calls people sprouts anyway!
-Voltage badge sounds too similar to Bolt Badge, although I do like the V better in the word. Maybe something like Circuit badge or something related to inventions?
-Fairy badge could've been something more mysterious like Fable or Pixie badge or something. It could've been something other than the actual word 'Fairy' so you would have a bigger surprise when going up against the new type gym.
-Oracle badge would've fit Olympia really well with her fortune telling. Fortune or Cosmic (with her space theme gym) works too.
-Iceberg badge works well enough for Wulfric. It hasn't been done before but Alpine would've sounded really nice although the badge design would need tweaking. Fits the environment where the gym is better since there aren't any icebergs around lol.

For the record, I think Gen 5 had the most pleasantly sounding names for badges. Jet, Quake, Basic and Legend sounded really nice for their types.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
KingHeracrossTheBug :
GTS Woes: Ugh, I don't bother with the GTS unless absolutely necessary, and even then I know exactly what I'm looking for (or I have the GTS work for me). As you said, the problem is that they let people ask for anything so obviously they're going to ask for Legendaries (BTW I mostly ignore people's requests, I had my requests ignored WAY too often for me to care about someone else's). I could also suggest a ton of "fixes" but you'll then get people complaining their requests are being limited. It's a nice but it needs obvious work, but the question is if GameFreak cares enough to do so.

1. You can only request a Normal Legendary if you either put up any Legendary or a Shiny.
2. You can only request an Event Legendary if you're offering an Event Legendary of a Shiny.
3. Unless its a Shiny, you can only request a non-Legendary for another non-Legendary.
4. Any request you put up will be up for an hour.
5. "Impossible" Requests are banned (obviously this one would be the hardest to do as they would need to create a whole array of variables).

That's all I can think of, feel free to add your own.

TrollFreak: I feel like GameFreak are like a group of children in terms of coming up with a great idea. They think of a great idea, start working on it, but after a while they get bored and instead fully work on it and hammer out any problems that pop up to instead wrap it up and move onto the next idea. GTS feels like that (a neat idea but then they realized coming up with restrictions was too hard so let people do whatever they want) as well as Mega Evolutions (they started well in XY, but come ORAS they got bored with the restrictions and decided to go "F*** IT!" with the Primals and Mega Rayquaza). It feels like there's no one to tell them not to do that because Pokemon is such a successful franchise no one wants to leash them in anyway. The creators are running the whole show with no one to focus them.

mcFlareon :
I have my problems with the Kalos Badges with both name and looks. Not only do some have unimaginative names they don't feel as uniformed as other region badges. Going over them:

Bug Badge: *sigh* Bug Badge. BUG Badge? I'd even say its design is lackluster, just being a plain looking beetle. I would have made it into a Fly an call it the Shutter Badge (get it, as in Shutterfly? I'll be here all week...). Working with the design we got, Lens Badge isn't bad and fits both the type and Viola's profession. Can't really think of anything better then that (though they do seem to disregard the Gym Leader's profession when it comes to naming the badge. So with that in mind maybe the Beetle Badge (which was the Japanese name for the Insect Badge so its available)?).
Cliff Badge: No complaint. The Cliff Badge has an appropriate name but also takes advantage of the 3D as the segments are raised to different levels, something which isn't so obvious looking at it straight on.
Rumble Badge: Name is fine, but design? the white fist in silhouette just doesn't sit right with me, makes it look uneven and elongates it. I think the fist alone would have been fine, even though the badge doesn't really fit Korrina. Maybe they could have made the Badge look more like Korrina's Mega Glove.
Plant Badge: No complaint. Actually Plant sounds like what Grass-types should actually be called, but that's besides the point. Since the type is called Grass-type then Plant is up for grabs so its all good. Once again I like the 3D use of this badge as it's something simple. That gem that's represents a water droplet is only on one side of the badge, sort of how like a water droplet on a real leaf would be like (however you can see in from the other side just like you would with a real leaf if you placed the leaf in front of the sun).
Voltage Badge: Name is fine, but that design. Too much is going on and too big. The electrical bolts are all odd and different shapes and they go so far out its the biggest badge yet! I'd probably have shaped the badge after a battery, an electric measuring/displaying device, or maybe Lumiose Tower itself.
Fairy Badge: Uggh. Starting with the design, it's not bad but its TOO LONG. Squish it in a bit or make it a V-shape like a pair of wings its suppose to be. As for the name, they could have done a batch of names. Pixie and Fable are two such choices, if I were to add my own maybe Glimmer/Glitter/Glister/Gleam Badge to also go along with her fashion theme.
Psychic Badge: I like how it looks, but that name... At least Fairy is the newly introduced type, but Bug and Psychic have had a few Gyms already so they don't have that excuse! Oracle works for me, maybe even Mystic; something to that effect.
Iceberg Badge: A bit over-designed but I like it. Also has the best use of the 3D yet by having water splashing inside of it!

My favorite sets of badges are either the Sinnoh or Unova Badges. Each have a nice unifying theme to them that helps you know which group of badges they belong too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Just getting rid of the Game Corner pissed me off, it was one of my FAVOURITE BITS OF THE ORIGINAL GAMES (and no I am not a gambling addict, contrary to what GF/Teachers/Parents think).

In all seriousness, bring back the Game Corner
Lol, funny for you to say that only for Kurona to say the opposite on the "Unpopular Opinion" thread. Honestly I never really bothered with Game Corner though those who were good at them I can understand missing them. Considering how many betting games there was I was kind of disappointed how Game Corners were lacking more then two games. Maybe if they had increased and varied the amount of games you could play I might have found something, but usually they only had games I wasn't good in.
Sadly it is gambling, even if its with fake money. :( The only way to bring them back is to remove the betting feature, probably turn it into Voltorbs Flip "lose once and you lose it all" way of doing things which I don't like. And even then I'm sure parents would complain the games are still based on gambling games and no want them exposed to it (instead of teaching their kids gambling can become a dangerous addiction and learn how not to become addicted...). But that goes into issues I'm sure no one wants to talk about.

Sadly it is gambling, even if its with fake money. :( The only way to bring them back is to remove the betting feature, probably turn it into Voltorbs Flip "lose once and you lose it all" way of doing things which I don't like. And even then I'm sure parents would complain the games are still based on gambling games and no want them exposed to it (instead of teaching their kids gambling can become a dangerous addiction and learn how not to become addicted...). But that goes into issues I'm sure no one wants to talk about.
Why would we want to revive a game created in Hell called Voltorb's Flip? That shit relies on chance and is very frustrating if you get it wrong.

Oh, and before someone says ,"learn to play the game", I did but even then, the game still forces you into several 50/50s and there's still a chance of you getting a Voltorb on your first try, especially on the higher levels.

Tl, dr; fuck Voltorb Flip and the guy who designed it should be fired.

Fixed ;)

Change of tides once again: Why is it so annoying to complete the Pokedex? I mean, I know it's the game's big challenge, but it's too much of a bitch for a stupid charm that makes shinies appear more often (ok maybe it's not so stupid)
At least there is a reward that's better than a diploma that is useless in most of the games (I do like how we can hang them on the walls of our Secret Bases in ORAS. Was it like that in RSE?).

Nothing much; but it annoys me that Gen 4 evolutions of Gen 1-3 mon have no RSE-Styled sprite or even just their DP sprite on the nostalgia diploma thing you get from bringing a Gen 3-generated 'mon to one of the game freak guys. I tested it with a Dusknoir - whose only purpose in life is to be a Dusknoir with Mega Kick from the FRLG tutor; I love it - and literally no sprite appeared on the diploma.

Last edited:
Nothing much; but it annoys me that Gen 4 evolutions of Gen 1-3 mon have no RSE-Styled sprite or even just their DP sprite on the nostalgia diploma thing you get from bringing a Gen 3-generated 'mon to on eof the game freak guys. I tested it with a Dusknoir - whose only purpose in life is to be a Dusknoir with Mega Kick from the FRLG tutor; I love it - and literally no sprite appeared on the diploma.
Really? They couldn't even be bothered to use a Gen IV sprite? [does Mr. Plinkett impression] You know what that spells...LAZY.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Random Passerby :
Flip Off: I never said to bring back Voltorb Flip, I was just saying if the brought the gambling games back they'd probably remove the betting part and replace it with Voltorb Flip's method of rewarding (which I said I hated). If I recall, this started way back in Europe's version of Gen I since it had a law forbidding gambling in games meant for minors so the Game Corner was nerfed so all they needed to do was examine the slot machine to get a few measly coins (good luck saving up that way). Come Gen IV, Pokemon Company felt bad their games kept getting nerfed so created Voltorb Flip for them. Fine, sort of solves the problem by providing them a game they could get a lot of coins with but they risk losing it all if they make one mistake. But at least they aren't getting measly coin amounts... AND then Pokemon decided for HGSS that ALL regions should have Voltorb Flip instead of the Game Corner... WHY? Okay, I'm sure there were a few parents upset to know Pokemon had gambling elements but the gambling wasn't the focus of the game so it wasn't such a big deal (as I brought up the parents should teach their kids that they shouldn't gamble if they don't like it that much). But nope, Voltorb Flip for all and, what a surprise, come Gen V the Game Corner was gone and come ORAS they pretty much confirm they have no intention on bringing it back. *sigh*
If they do try to bring back Game Corner, the gambling part will be gone. You don't bet any coins and instead they'll probably use the "the more you play the more coins you get but one wrong mistake means you lose it all" mechanic like Voltorb Flip. Also, as much as you hate it, they'd also probably bring back Voltorb Flip (they have the code for it and I'm sure some people liked it. Though I didn't really get the hang of it myself when I played it on my cousin's SoulSilver) but probably shove it in a corner somewhere. It wouldn't be the same and I'd imagine making coins would take longer then it usually did (oh, and you won't be able to buy coins, meaning you HAVE to play the games to get the coins to buy the rewards you want (and no doubt some would probably be TMs)).
Hmm, now thinking about it, maybe instead of a Game Corner they should do an Arcade-type place. Pokemon have plenty of mini-games they can re-use or recreate popular genres of arcade games Pokemon-style. It'll be at least better then having nothing.
Final thought, I wonder how this will effect Maylene's story in the Gen IV remakes. If you don't recall, Maylene's father is a gambling addict who you see in Game Corner.

KingHeracrossTheBug :
Dex Rewards: Yeah, personally I think they should change of the Pokedex works (and thus the rewards). I think you only need to complete the Regional Dex, you get the Oval Charm for Seeing all the Pokemon and the Shiny Charm for Catching all the Pokemon. As for the National Dex, it should just be an encyclopedia which has all the Pokemon information in it already. All it would do it note what Pokemon you currently own and maybe a few other, but it won't keep track if you seen/caught a Pokemon. To make up for the difficulty, with us now having so many Pokemon I think they should do what XY did and have a large Regional Dex.

Kurona :
Certificate Lacks Display: *sigh* Really? They made a certificate celebrating that Pokemon coming over through the generations yet didn't think it would be neat to use its Gen III sprite? Actually, what would have been really cool if they did a transition thing, like showed its Gen III, IV, and V sprite to show how many changes it went through to get to this game. Though at least the border is decorated with Gen III overworld sprites. Actually, another neat thing they could have done was made the certificate look like the Gen III Diploma:

(Obviously they would have changed the text. Also they could have added the Pokemon's Gen III sprite on the top right)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 10)