PU Suspect Vote Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OP stolen and altered from similar threads from OU, UU, RU, and NU.

Hey guys! So this thread will be where the results from all our suspect tests will be compiled from now on. This thread will contain:
  1. A list of the people who are on the current PU Council, former Council members, and the Rotating Council for each vote.
  2. An explanation of how the PU tiering system works, and any changes to the process.
  3. Links to past tiering votes and short explanations for each.
  4. A list of the Pokemon that have been banned from PU.

The PU Council

Magnemite (Co-Leader)
galbia (Co-Leader)
Montsegur
Anty
Raiza.
GrimoireGod
Megazard
Simipour

Former PU Council Members
scorpdestroyer
WhiteDMist (former Co-Leader)
Dell (former Co-Leader)
Robert Alfons
trc
Peef Rimgar

Rotating Council

The PU Council (including the Rotating Council) consists of some of the best players and contributors the tier has. The Council is meant to act in an advisory role to the moderators (Dell, galbia, and myself) in the subforum, as well as be part of the QC team under the PU C&C moderators (Dell, Montsegur, and myself). The Council assists with issues such as: potential suspects, metagame discussion, PU C&C, the PS room, and the IRC channel. Keep in mind though that while their word is valued, it's not gospel; they are here to help all of you out. Given they're meant to be some of the best players and contributors in the tier, the PU Councils are some of the first people you should look to talk to if you ever need help on something involving the tier.

The Tiering System

The PU tiering system is different from any other tier. A member of the PU Council publicly proposes a suspect test, and if at least one other Council member is in agreement, then we start a suspect test. After a variable amount of time (between 7 to 14 days usually), the suspect test ends. People who believe they qualify for the Rotating Council should submit their qualifications to me, Dell, or galbia in a PM. Once the Rotating Council is chosen, the vote commences. After the vote, the results are posted, deciding whether the suspect(s) is banned or not.

FAQ

Q: On what basis does a Pokemon deserve a suspect test?
A:
On the basis that they are potentially broken, overcentralising for the tier, or deemed uncompetitive.

Q: How long does each suspect test take?
A:
As long as we need it to. In other words, we keep the test going until enough council members have made up their minds on how to vote. This can take anywhere from several days to a couple weeks.

Q: Why does PU use a dual-council system instead of a public voting system?
A:
For a couple of reasons. The most important one is that people tend to act in their own self-interest rather than for what is best for the tier itself. The other reason was to avoid the problems associated with both a Council-only vote and a public vote. I didn't like having just the Council vote, so I created a Rotating Council so that non-Council members can participate in a suspect test vote. A small extra reason is that due to the fact that PU isn't "official", we do not ask for a suspect ladder, which is far more friendlier to a public voting system than the regular ladder due to having a more accurate means of reaching qualifications.

Q: Why and how were the current members chosen?
A:
The first wave was hand-picked by me as they were people who have shown that they had good knowledge of the early PU metagame. Afterwards, we added new members based on the quality of their contributions.

Q: Is there be an opportunity for the public to get involved with the process?
A:
Yes. The public should always involve themselves in the suspect discussions. Not only will they be able to influence the vote with good debating, they have a good shot at being added to the Rotating Council. This also means that people have to ladder during the suspect test.

Q: How can I get onto council?
A:
You have to impress the current council members and I enough that we'd want you to join us. This can be done by being good at the game and showing that you can think with a clear head when it comes to suspects. Contributing to the PU forum significantly will also help a lot.

Q: Will BL4 be retested?
A:
If the community believes that a BL4 Pokemon is no longer too overpowered or overcentralising to the metagame (due to the continual shifts), then it will be considered.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Musharna Suspect Test Results:

Montsegur: Ban
After having played with and against Musharna in PU for quite a while it has been apparent that it needs to go for a number of reasons. Chief among those reasons is the fact that there are very few Pokemon that can actually OHKO and 2HKO Musharna, this wouldn't be a problem normally; however, Musharna has access to reliable recovery in the form of Moonlight. This means that any damage Musharna receives throughout a match can just be healed off. The next reason is that Musharna has access to Baton Pass, and in combination with great defenses this allows Musharna to fulfill multiple roles on the same set. For instance if Musharna is running a set of Moonlight / Calm Mind / Psyshock / Baton Pass, it can come in early-game and play the role of a pivot checking physical Pokemon and using a slow Baton Pass to pivot into an appropriate check / counter, if it gets low on health it can always use Moonlight instead of Baton Pass. After any check to Musharna is sufficiently weakened Musharna can set up Calm Minds and then either sweep with Psyshock or can pass out any boosts it has gained to a teammate. With the same set Musharna can set up on over 85% of the meta, with its great defense and boosts to special defense with Calm Mind it is bulky enough to survive multiple hits. Any checks that Musharna has, it has a way to beat: Signal Beam can beat other Musharnas and Dark-types, Thunder Wave to cripple any offensive threats that can check it, and Musharna can always Baton Pass out into something to take advantage of any check. The only hard counter that the meta has seemed to come up with is Bastiodon, which cannot be run on any offensive teams and struggles to find a slot on balance teams. While its checks may be viable, and can be slapped on any team, there are so few of them that it becomes redundant. Since there are so few things that check Musharna, it makes it difficult to teambuild around, most teams just end up going with offensive pressure and good playing as a way to beat Musharna. I think I summed up most of my thoughts and reasoning behind why I believe Musharna should be banned (probably missed a few points). I believe that the meta overall will be much healthier if Musharna is banned from PU.

WildHope: Ban
She is an easy to use brainless mon, fit in any team of any playstyle, have some good checks but only a few can stop her true work, give support, i does not thing than she is a good sweeper, she is broken because of the support than she can give. CM Pass can choose between sweep by herself or give the boost to something better. She have some trouble with Roar-Toxic Bastiodon, or not, if you use something like Sub/Taunt SP Mr.Mime who is one of many mons than can take advantage of most Musha checks. The Pivot set can destroy many offensive threats who are supposed to check the CMPass set, like Sneasel and Scyther with just TW, and Marowak can be 2HKO by unboosted Psychic; Syncronize, meanwhile make she inmune to Toxic in most cases, useless if we talk about some of the few viable Steel-Types in the tier. And her slow BP can gives free momentum in any moment, macking impossible to double switch, and thanks to that some frail mons like Sneasel can enter without the need of prediction.

TRC: Ban
musharna isn't outwardly immediately offensively potent, leading it to be skimmed over earlier in pu among thoughts of potential suspects at the time, which were mainly limited to sneasel and barbaracle. opinions on the latter changed almost immediately, while in time the former was realised to be less offensively godly as was initially thought due to its frailty and that it basically lost to most bulky pokemon with any offensive presence. musharna is on a whole other level to the other pokemon in the tier. its bulk is tremendous, and no one is denying that. no one is also denying that there lacks pokemon in the tier that can do much damage to it, due to the rarity of dark-types, the overall weak-ness of ghost-types, and the lack of viable bug-types barring the obvious scyther and a few other nicher ones. what troubles these pokemon is that they are usually offensive and frail and are typically crippled by thunder wave or take a lot of damage from psychic (see scyther, haunter). the dark-types are better answers but that's basically sneasel and zweilous. sneasel doesn't even ko and can be stalled out of lo recoil with moonlight. musharna just has the general bulk to be an unpleasant pain to play against because you basically have to rely on stalling it out of moonlight's 8 pp while it thunder waves you and then psychics you to death (talking about general attackers here). its spread can be optimised to take on at least 75% of the tier. this is just the defensive pivot, the calm mind set is an extremely threatening sweeper on its own that can become impossible to break, and the calm mind + baton pass set is ridiculous due to musharna's own bulk, which allows easy passes to some of the most threatening special attackers in the tier including ninetales, simipour, and mr. mime. not to mention that typical non-offensive ways of dealing with musharna are either obvious and can be played around (trick, encore), or can be alleviated thanks to musharna's own movepool (toxic via heal bell). musharna's presence is limiting on the tier because the tier simply isn't equipped to handle it, so i am voting ban.

Anty: Do Not Ban
Musharna is not broken as the metagame has developed about in a way it is not broken. Teams are prepared for musharna, in the same way they are prepared for every (viable) mon in the tier, wether it is something as simple as toxic on avalugg dragon tail lickilicky, or something that punishes mush like Klang, or even a heavy hitter like marowak. Keep in mind those examples are just switch ins to musharna and they arent the only ones that can beat it. Another thing i keep hearing is that musharna can set up most of the meta. Realistically this is not the case. Common Pokemon do have ways to stop, whether passive ways or offensive pressure. There are plenty of ways to do this, whether its encore, with chatot and mr mime, pressure via boosting/power, like huntail and flareon, or just toxic/phasing, from piloswine/any defensive mon (not to menton taunt, haze, etc). These ways are mainly for calm mind sets (which is viewed to be the most 'broken' set), but some still beat defensive sets (or things like offensive hazards, stall can still toxic stall). I also haven't covered much on over centralisation; but all these mons/moves are completely viable with or without mush. Mush doesnt limit a team differently than any big threat does. I understand this is fairly focused but its on a very valid point.

The Leprechaun: Do Not Ban
I just feel that there are enough checks that are not only viable outside of beating musharna, but are really good in their own right. The idea that it's only checkable by dark types and other hard hitters is completely false and i outlined this in my main post in the thread. I was on the fence about the fact that musharna can always pivot out, predicting its checks to come in but this is not 100% reliable and shows that it can't function consistently without team support.

Peef Rimgar: Ban
Musharna needs to go, to put it frankly. While there exist many checks to it that do have competitive merit besides checking it, none of these checks can actually take it down without it doing something. Mushy can basically be thrown on any team as a last-hope check to so many offensive Pokemon and the ones it supposedly doesn't wall still fail to even 2HKO. I feel that the metagame will be much more fun and balanced without Mushy.

Magnemite: Ban
While it does posess several decent checks, doesn't hit that hard initially, and has trouble against things like toxic spikes, Musharna is simply too good for PU. It has no counters, and its few offensive checks risk a ton by switching in and don't even beat it one on one anyway. Musharna walls a huge portion of the tier, and while it doesn't make anything outright unviable, the sheer amount of Pokemon that Musharna can wall is just absurd. This wouldn't be as big of a deal if it wasn't for what Musharna can do in return to what it walls. Late-game, it's almost impossible to prevent the Calm Mind set from sweeping because it just doesn't die. Pivot sets give offensive teams a great switch-in for half the tier that can also bait in and cripple huge threats such as Sneasel, give momentum or pass boosts with Baton Pass, and just in general stick around forever. All of these traits make Musharna terribly unhealthy for the PU tier, which is why I am voting to ban Musharna.

galbia: Do Not Ban
Musharna is one of the strongest forces in the metagame as it has a lot of qualities. First of all is very very bulky, it can set up and win games by itself with Calm Mind (+Baton Pass) against unprepared teams.
It also has some flaws that can't be overlooked in its slowness, the fact that it is not strong without many boosts (also has bad coverage), and its vulnerability to offensive pressure and entry hazards because of its bad recovery move.
In reality, in an actual battle scenario Musharna is actually pretty simple to deal with as long as you prepare for it (and you should, as it is a top tier threat like Sneasel or Carracosta). Every team archetype has numerous ways to beat it with either setup sweepers, Taunt users or simply Dark-types and offensive pressure in general + Musharna is outsped by everything + entry hazards in this Spikes centered meta make it pretty easy to beat it even for Pokemon that are "mathematically" walled. Musharna is just a Pokemon capable of taking many hits and it is probably the best pivot (or Pokemon arguably) in the metagame and i don't think it makes PU less fun or that it is impossible to deal with. DO NOT BAN

scorpdestroyer: Do Not Ban
I'm a little on the fence on this one, so I'm voting dnb. The reason why it could be not broken is that it's not difficult to wear down with constant pressure or multiple layers of hazards and if it wants to keep coming in to check stuff and slow bp out or do whatever it does, it needs to play carefully.

Robert Alfons: Ban
Musharna's huge bulk and versatility make it a top tier threat on its own, but what really pushes it over the edge for me is how easily it covers up multiple roles on a team and basically is too good to pass up a lot of the time. Being able to wall a huge part of the meta while also being a setup sweeper that's incredibly hard to stop and only has one or two hard counters is ridiculous, it does not encourage good teambuilding and forces every team to carry at least two things that can 2HKO it or can beat it 1v1 (which is hard to do). Basically, it restricting the meta and basically being an easy way out for anyone to cover for a huge amount of top tier threats by simply slapping a Mushy on your team makes it too much to handle, and therefore I vote ban.

Detective Dell: Abstain (Do Not Ban)
When I approached the suspect in question, I've never actually considered its versatility alone enough to really push for a ban. In fact, my abstaining stance has more to do with the fact that I believed that not enough ways to respond to it have been explored thus far. After various discussion from both sides, I can see advanced players adapting and changing their strategies to handle Musharna, given that certain playstyles were already capable of mitigating its effectiveness (Bastiodon stall, hazard offense, various weather offensive teams, etc.). The primary reason I would have considered voting for a ban is because of its very low opportunity cost; There was almost no reason to use it, and its presence encouraged bad (more accurately, careless) play by functioning as an extremely reliable and versatile pivot against the majority of the tier.

In regards to the decision made, this was a very close call indeed, and for a long time coming, this was a 50-50 in terms of an overall stance within the council. The main reasoning about this is because when you consider the arguments in opposition of Musharna's being banned, you'll realize that precedence has oftentimes established that such arguments would justify a Pokemon not being broken. Ultimately, as said before, it's overall versatility and sheer lack of opportunity cost were the primary reasons.

WhiteDMist: Ban
This was a tough choice. The opposing arguments were on my mind because normally, these arguments would have been enough to make Musharna not banworthy. The main problems were that Musharna was not overcentralizing nor was it a strain on teambuilding. It wasn't overpowered, but it was versatile in terms of sheer options for both offense and support. What brought me to decide on Ban was the fact that Musharna was the fact that its Calm Mind Baton Pass set was so effective. Even mediocre Pokemon would benefit from being passed a Calm Mind or two, and the great Pokemon would just become so difficult (not impossible) to deal with. Another notable problem was the fact that it has so many options to support its team (physical wall and pivot, Thunder Wave, Heal Bell, Toxic, Yawn) and/or go on the offensive (Calm Mind, Trick Room, Choice Specs); even worse, it is GOOD at ALL OF these roles. The sheer lack of opportunity cost for using Musharna on most types of teams is the main point that sways me over to vote BAN.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Garbodor, Cameruptite, and Glalitite Suspect Test Results:

WhiteDMist: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- BAN Cameruptite- DO NOT BAN
Dell: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- DO NOT BAN Cameruptite- DO NOT BAN
galbia: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- BAN Cameruptite- DO NOT BAN
Anty: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- BAN Cameruptite- BAN
GrimoireGod: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- ABSTAIN Cameruptite- DO NOT BAN
Magnemite: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- BAN Cameruptite- ABSTAIN
Robert Alfons: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- BAN Cameruptite- DO NOT BAN
Megazard Z: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- BAN Cameruptite- BAN
scorpdestroyer: Garbodor- DO NOT BAN Glalitite- DO NOT BAN Cameruptite- BAN
Montsegur: Garbodor- DO NOT BAN Glalitite- BAN Cameruptite- BAN
TRC: Garbodor- BAN Glalitite- BAN Cameruptite- DO NOT BAN

WhiteDMist

Garbodor - BAN

Garbodor is a Spiker first and foremost, and that makes my decision a bit harder. Spikes is a very centralizing force on its own, so why ban Garbodor alone? But I also can't deny the fact that Garbodor has its own qualities that magnify the problem of dual hazards. It is a master at causing residual damage to the opposing team, both with the hazards it sets, and its ability Aftermath. Coupled with the very common Rocky Helmet item, Garbodor is pretty much unmatched at causing residual damage. Toxic Spikes? That is less common, and somewhat harder to keep up due to opposing Garbodor being so common. That said, many games are decided just by whomever KOes the opposing Garbodor first and then gets up a layer of Toxic Spikes. It actually can use its decent Atk stat, with Gunk Shot being a potent weapon against common Defoggers such as Togetic, Mantine, and Swanna. That leaves a final moveslot that can be customized to fit the needs of the team it is on (Thunderbolt has been gaining popularity to handle Pelipper, Pain Split for some recovery, Haze to stop it from being set up on, Drain Punch for healing and coverage, etc.). It's Speed stat is decent for a support Pokemon, allowing it to be customized to outspeed a certain Speed tier if necessary. It's typing let's it check some common physical Pokemon, notably Poliwrath. But what really sets it over the edge is the fact that Garbodor can fit on ANY AND ALL types of teams, and it THREATENS EVERY TYPE OF TEAM with its hazards. Since there is little to no opportunity cost with using Garbodor, I cannot in good conscience vote for anything but BAN.

Glalitite - BAN

Difficult one. Mega-Glalie is powerful, and can carry a variety of moves that ruin some of its checks (Super Fang and Taunt being pretty crippling to Piloswine and Avalugg respectively). The fact that Ice is unresisted allows it to carry multiple STAB moves with few repercussions, though I admit some do carry Earthquake as well. STAB Double Edge is brutal, and STAB Explosion is sheer terror. Some will even carry Spikes to take advantage of the switches that Mega-Glalie forces. Mediocre Speed before Mega-Evolution and only above average Speed after Mega Evolving can be somewhat of a let-down even with Ice Shard. Terrible defensive typing does make it harder to Mega Evolve, though it can do so during a revenge kill. These flaws aren't terribly crippling, and Mega-Glalie just finds itself being useful during most battles with its great power. Being able to take lower damage from Knock Off is a pretty cool thing as well, though Glalie shouldn't really switch into most common Knock Off users. For its sheer wallbreaking capabilities combined with decent Speed, ability to beat its checks and cripple its counters, and moderately low opportunity cost, I believe Mega-Glalie is best BANNED.

Cameruptite - DO NOT BAN

I wasn't convinced either way with Mega-Camerupt. It is an offensive juggernaut, 2HKOing most of the metagame. Immunity to Volt Switch, decent bulk, and little fear of Knock Off means it isn't easy to gain momentum against M-Camerupt. On the flip side, a severe Water weakness in a tier where Water-types are so common, and a terrible base 20 Speed are the Achilles Heel(s) for M-Camerupt. Trick Room teams might make use of that low Speed, but they are rare and not quite a top strategy. The Water weakness can be handled by teammates as well. Still, M-Camerupt doesn't have reliable recovery and gets worn down far too quickly, especially considering its poor Speed means it will have to tank at least one attack before it can attack back. In a different metagame where residual damage isn't so common, I might say that M-Camerupt is broken. But for right now, the opportunity cost is high enough that I will vote DO NOT BAN.

Dell

Garbodor: Ban
While I believe that some people often overestimate its utility in Toxic Spikes (certainly a good option, but I think that Garbodor's presence alone is enough to prevent such an option from becoming over-centralizing) the issue with Garbodor is that its ease of hazards carries a very negative influence over a tier strapped for answers to them. Between its speed, decent typing, and bulk, it's virtually impossible to reliably keep it from laying at least two layers of hazards, and there is almost no Pokemon that is able to achieve an OHKO while being able to outspeed it (apart from Kadabra and Mr. Mime, both of which are unreliable switch-ins). Another thing that shouldn't be overlooked is its variety of offensive options (Gunk Shot, Thunderbolt, etc.), which allows it to punish common Pokemon that are used for their hazard-removal capabilities (think Togetic, Pelipper, etc.).

Mega Glalie: Do not Ban
Mega Glalie sports great offensive presence and solid options, but there are just so many reliable pivots to offensive Ice-types in this tier that it greatly hinders its ability to break through more defensive teams. Its access to things like Freeze-Dry and Super Fang does mitigate this to a degree, but it requires a lot of predictions to pull such options off effectively and if it mispredicts, it is often forced out. It also doesn't have an easy time Mega Evolving against most offense teams due to its 80 base speed in its regular form, and even after Mega Evolving, 100 Speed isn't quite fast enough for this meta. I feel that Mega Glalie is something that's very prediction-reliant and needs to find good opportunities to use its offensive presence, which is something I think we can handle.
Mega Camerupt: Do not Ban
Mega Camerupt is an absolute powerhouse, potentially 2HKOing the entire tier with adequate prediction. However, I feel that such a concept is very similar to other solid wallbreakers such as Life Orb Tauros, Rampardos, or even Aurorus. I just feel that its abysmal Speed stat holds it back more often that brought out to be, as offense generally doesn't have trouble picking it off. Another thing that makes it controversial is that its unique defensive typing and statistical bulk gives it ample opportunities to switch into Electric-types and various defensive Pokemon. Even so, I think it should be fine in PU once people get into adjusting their sets on their defensive Pokemon, as it shouldn't be too difficult to keep it in check or at least cripple it (things like Sleep Powder Roselia, Dragon Tail Licklicky, Toxic / Leech Seed mons come to mind).

galbia

Garbodor: BAN

I want Garbodor banned because it makes the metagame incredibly hazards centric. With Garbodor in the tier there is no reason not to use Spikes or Toxic Spikes. It fits in EVERY playstyle and provides a lot of utility to the team it is in such as beating and setting up layers against top threats such as Poliwrath, Scyther, Throh, any Grass-type and even Sneasel somewhat while being the opposite of passive with a moderately stromg STAB, decent coverage moves, and Haze to stop any setup. Hazards removing is not good in this tier and no defogger outside of Prinplup cant come in and remove hazards reliably against it (Pelipper loses to Thunderbolt sets)and Prinplup has it no recovery outside of Rest. The spinners in the tier all suck and are stopped by any Ghost (but Wartortle which is just an inferior Prinplup

Glalie: BAN

Super Fang means it has no counters whatsoever considering it even 2HKOs Avalugg after Stealth Rock most of the time. Freeze dry murders bulky water types and the only way to beat it is by outspeeding, really. It is manageable to an extent by offensive teams which still have close to zero switch ins (Evio Sneasel and some Carracosta variants with some luck) and even by defensive ones if you have already figured out the set (which isnt hard because what isnt fucked by superfang is by Earthquake or Freeze Dry).

Camerupt: DO NOT BAN

Atypical Mega for multiple reasons. It has ridicolous power and great typing but its Speed is incredibly lacking. On paper it gains a lot of switch in opportunities against common pokemon in the tier (think about Grass-types and Electric types) but in reality its low speed holds it back too much. Grass-types bar Gourgeist have Sleep Powder to shut it down completely without prediction (and Tangela also has a powerful Leaf Storm) and Electric-types already run Hidden Power Water for Regular Camerupt and Golem/Piloswine anyway not to mention Raichu having Surf meaning they can just go for the kill if they are not choiced. Even offense has means to deal with this ridicolous wallbreakers with Great answers such as Rain Dance Mantine as well as powerful STAB attacks in general which 3HKO i at worst. A lot of good traits but this isnt enough to ban this Pokemon imo.

Anty

Garbodor - BAN
Hazards are stupidly centralising in this meta to the point that you are almost forced to have some way of hazard control. Spikes and tspikes are amazing in this meta due to how it is offensively based, and how there are very strong pokemon that force switches (take sneasel for example, throh should be a check, but if it has taken slight prior damage, it will get beaten if it tries to switch if spikes are present). The main issue with this is that garbodor is amazing at setting up; it sets up on so many good pokemon, eg Poliwrath, Serperior, leafeon etc. It also has uses among spikes, being able to check pretty much every non-ground physical attcker. Even zen headbut tauros gets a ton of recoil from rocky helmet and aftermath.

Mega Camerupt - BAN
Its brokenness is very understated. It has litterally 0 (viable) switch ins and can also switch into a lot of pokes due its very high bulk. Yes water moves hurt, but that is why you switch out, a good player will always have a water type check when using mega camel (and what happens if you dont have a water type, more kills?). I have been experimenting with camel as it only really needs 3 moveslots to smash the whole tier, most people use willowisp or stealth rocks, but i have tried amnesia. As gimmicky as it seems, it has worked for me, stopping a lot of pokes from revenge killing. Another call set is spdef restalk, which allows it to switch in a lot without fear of getting warn down.

Mega Glalie - BAN
This pokemon is a bane for offense to play (huehue). Its amazing strenght leaves it with two checks; piloswine and avalugg. The former is easy to ware down with constant switch ins and the use of super fang, and the latter also needs to be at very high health without rocks to take a super fang + double edge. Its decntish speed tier also puts it at the point where it is hard to revenge kill, good bulk prevents faster pokes like tauros and sneasel from ohko'ing, whilst its speed lets it tie with ninetale, which would be the most relevent revenge killer.

GrimoireGod

Garbodor (ban):
Garbodor is not a pokemon that is banworthy on its own. Toxic Spikes, Spikes, decent bulk, decent typing, and decent offensive presence are excellent, but it would not be banworthy if the Rapid Spinners weren't so bad in PU (Avalugg loses to Misdreavus, Wartortle is easily worn down), and the Defoggers weren't that easy to pressure with electric-type pokemon. The utility it provides to teams with Spikes and Toxic Spikes with such ease, while being a more than decent pokemon on its own that can surprise common pokemon with coverage moves such as Seed Bomb and Thunderbolt, as well as the hazard removal issue I mentioned above, is in my opinion enough reason to ban it.

Camerupt-Mega (do not ban):
Although Camerupt has close to zero switch-ins in PU, I don't think it's broken simply because of how easy it is to check due to its terrible speed and 4x Water-type weakness. Water-types are are probably the most common pokemon in PU (Pelipper, Poliwrath, Mantine, Swanna, Prinlup, Wartortle, etc), and they can all easily check it with their STAB attacks. Its low speed makes it incredibly weak to hazards, especially the omnipresent Toxic Spikes, and makes it actually hard to wallbreak because it can be potentially stalled out. It also gets few chances to actually fire off those nukes against offense and even balanced teams, by far the most dominant playstyles.

Glalie-Mega (Abstain):
I'm not sure about this one. I used to think that it wasn't broken because its counters are popular in PU, and it's just like Camerupt-Mega not very hard to check, in Glalie's case due to its Ice-type and its frail defenses. However, a stall team really does not want to be forced to use Avalugg at the moment because it's a failure as a spinner, and offensive teams kind of need Piloswine to avoid having to sack a pokemon everytime Glalie gets a chance to attack. Then there's the fact that it can get around some things that would counter or check it with moves like Taunt, Freeze-Dry and Super Fang, as well as the extreme power of Refridgerate STAB Explosion. Its speed issues can also be solved with Sticky Web. That said, I'm not sure whether I want to ban it because its issues are still kind of big and easy to exploit. Therefore, abstain.

Magnemite

Garbodor has completely warped the PU metagame around itself, turning it into a spikes-centric mess. It can get up Toxic Spikes once per game in just about every game, and often is able to easily set more if they are removed, especially since the only teams that can commonly afford to run hazard removal are balanced and defensive ones, which give it tons and tons of switch-in opportunities. Garbodor doesn't really care much about hazard removers anyway, since it beats most if not all defoggers with Thunderbolt, Avalugg is easily spinblocked, and it doesn't care about grounded Poison-types either since it can just set Spikes instead. Toxic Spikes and Spikes are ridiculously good in PU, and Garbodor is simply way too good at setting and keeping them.

Glalitite: Ban

Mega Glalie has a few flaws on paper, but in practice these flaws are relatively unimportant. While it has low Speed prior to Mega Evolving, in practice this rarely matters because of Ice Shard and the fact that nearly all PU teams, even offensive ones, have at least one or two slower Pokemon on them, such as Golem, Marowak, Mantine, Tangela, Poliwrath, Regice, and plenty of others, which Glalie can Mega Evolve on if they are worn down a bit. Thanks to Super Fang, Freeze Dry, and its absurd power, Mega Glalie is unwallable. Mega Glalie's absurd power, above average Speed, and lack of a single counter all make it a very broken Pokemon in PU.

Cameruptite: Abstain

I can't really come to a conclusion on this one. While it is absurdly broken under the right conditions and pretty ridiculous against certain playstyles, it also has very limited switch-in opportunities and can't really always force out a lot of the Pokemon it's supposed to force out, mainly due to the fact that they can do large amounts of damage to it in return and that some of them have Sleep Powder. However, it's still absolutely ridiculous in some cirumstances, so I don't really feel comfortable voting either way on it.

Robert Alfons (wtf was Kenny doing in the convo?)

Garbodor is not broken by itself, but the meta is simply way too much in its favor to let it stay. For one, Garbodor is ridiculously easy to slam on any team: it's a bulky glue that fits both on HO and bulkier teams due to its great defensive typing and nice mixed bulk. Not only is it a great glue, but it also is the most reliable Spikes stacker in the tier, and without a whole lot of viable hazard removers to choose from (especially on HO teams), it's very easy to keep them around. In theory Garbodor doesn't seem that amazing, but in practice many games end up revolving around who can stack the most Spikes with Garbodor. I haven't even mentioned how versatile this thing is, being entirely customizable to your needs on a team, both EV-wise and move-wise (for example, using Tbolt on it allows it to beat pretty much all viable Defogger, add a Misdreavus to spinblock and the hazards are here to stay). It's such an unhealthy influence on the tier and is so easy to slap on any team that it should leave imo.

Mega Glalie: Ban
This one's a lot easier. Refrigerate Double-Edge 2HKOs everything that doesn't resist it, from there on it can use Super Fang to fuck with things that can switch in but lack recovery, Ice Shard to pick off weakened fast threats, Freeze-Dry to destroy bulky Water-types, EQ for Steel-types and of course Explosion to instagib pretty much anything. It's fast too, so once it has mega evolved, not much in the relatively slow PU tier has any hopes of outspeeding it. Beats offensive and defensive teams alike, is way too restrictive for teambuilding and almost always gets more than one kill, making it almost too good not to use.

Mega Camerupt: Do not ban
I admittedly do not have a whole lot of experience with this mon, but I think the meta can handle it to an extent. Its defensive typing is not bad and its bulk is cool, but it doesn't get an amazing amount of free switchins and will get worn down quickly due to lack of recovery. It hits insanely hard, but it's nothing the meta can't adapt to, I can even see stall finding a way around it tbh. It might need revision, but for now I can't say I am overly convinced on camel being broken.

Megazard Z

Ban Garbodor

Spikes are so overcentralizing in the meta it's not even funny. Garbodor doesn't do much other than hazard stack, but it can easily get up at least two layers while discouraging any physical attackers with helmet and/or aftermath. While spikes themselves aren't always broken, removal is stupidly easy to prevent and garbodor can hit nearly every defogger in the tier with gunk shot+Tbolt except for Prinplup (spinblocking is so easy it's not even funny. It's so easy to cripple teams with toxic spikes and wear down mons with spikes that Garbodor deserves to go, as no other spikers are even close to being as effective as garbodor is, and none can force out all of the defoggers in the tier

Ban Cameruptite

Mega Camerupt has 1 switch in that is in any way viable, muchlax (Lunatone and Vibrava just aren't good). With the correct prediction no switch in is safe, and it's capable of coming in relatively unscathed on several viable mons like Gourgeist, Avalugg, and Garbodor (who shouldn't be relevant anymore anyway, but whatever). Its bulk allows it to take 3-4 hits per game and it almost guarantees one kill per game. Camerupt lacks viable counters and no checks that can't be wrecked by getting the 50/50 right.

Ban Glalitite

Much like mega camerupt, glalie has very few switch ins, although there are more viable mons to handle it. Only Avalugg, Piloswine, and a few niche options such as physically defensive vigoroth can switch into it (barring variants lacking freeze dry). Its movepool makes it very unpredictable, as it has access to freeze dry, taunt, spikes, explosion, super fang, or even sub/disable. While it is not the fastest mon, 80/80/80 bulk is reasonable enough to take a hit or two before going down, and explosion is an excellent move to cripple mons needed for other threats. PU just lacks the appropriate mons to deal with mega glalie.

scorpdestroyer

Garbodor - Do Not Ban

I understand why someone would want to ban this piece of trash. In practice though I've found that Garbodor isn't difficult to take advantage of by mons like NP Missy, Haunter, and special setup sweepers, nor is it very difficult to wear down. Sure, it gets up Spikes on a lot of Fighting-types and Grass-types, but that doesn't necessarily make it broken (Roselia gets free Spikes on Grass- and Electric-types too). I can't say for sure that Garbodor isn't broken, but I can't say for sure that it's broken either.

Glalitite - Do Not Ban

Mega Glalie is very strong but it isn't broken enough to get the bangammer. It's worn down very easily and its speed pre-Mega is easy to exploit while not being that fast in Mega form. It has a lot of counters that are very common (Pilo and Poliwrath are everywhere and not just because of it) and a good amount of checks as well (Garbodor for instance, while a lot of common mons outrun it). It can get around its counters but it needs to predict well to do so (Super Fang is bad on its own) and I don't think that makes it broken (see: LO Tauros for example). It's a great mon but not broken imo

Cameruptite - Ban

There were a lot of good arguments on the anti-ban side which made me reconsider my stance but I think MegaRupt is still too good. Its bulk and typing allow it to live hits from about half the tier, and while it isn't difficult to wear down, it still is able to come in on a lot of Pokemon and force them out with the threat of OHKOing them while being difficult to OHKO in return. Vulnerable Pokemon like Ninetales and Roselia have to adjust their movesets in order to hit MegaRupt and it still doesn't prevent it from nabbing a kill, while some Pokemon like choiced Electrics and Garbodor can't even touch it much.

Montsegur

Garbodor: Do Not Ban
Garbodor is a top tier mon that can provide a ton of team support by setting entry hazards of two types, toxic spikes and spikes, while also providing a check to physical attackers with Rock Helmet and Aftermath. It is by far the best spike user in PU and there really is no reason not use spikes on your team; however, I do not believe Garbodor is broken or overcentralizing enough to warrant a ban. There are plenty of options for teams to run if they want to clear hazards off of the field for all team types. Also the prevelance of Poison-types has risen to mitigate Toxic spikes, which while not all of them are exactly viable enough of them are to make toxic spikes almost useless when using Garbodor. Recently, Toxic Spikes have gotten worse because of the rise of said Poison-types. You can also play around with having full hazards up, while it becomes harder it doesn't mean that having Garbodor on your team is an autowin. While the support that Garbodor provides is undeniable, I do not think that it provides enough to be worth banning.

Glalie-Mega: Ban
The damage output that Glalie-Mega has is ridiculous along with its reasonably good speed tier means that it can tear most teams apart. PU has a few of the best checks / counters to Glalie however such as Avalugg, Carracosta and Piloswine. The thing is that it is incredibly centralizing having to run one of these on every team in order to have a chance to beat glalie. On top of this Mega Glalie has Super Fang in order to severely cripple its checks and allow teammates to finish them off. Without having to resort to a few mons on every team, Mega Glalie can be very difficult for teams to deal with and for that reason I believe it should be banned.

Camerupt-Mega: Ban
Camerupt's damage output is above even Mega Glalie's and has amazing offensive coverage between Earth Power and Fire Blast, having room on its set to run HP Electric to nail one of its checks in Mantine. Its low speed is enough to hold it back from straight up 6-0ing teams; however, it gets free switches into most defensive walls and can easily 2HKO one of the premier special walls in the tier, Lickilicky. This makes Stall and Balance teams have an incredibly hard time dealing with Mega Camerupt without having to carry 2-3 mons to be able to check it. Do to its high damage output and its amazing ability to Wallbreak I believe that mega rupt should be banned.

TRC

garbodor: ban

too unhealthy for the meta. gets various switch-ins on very common pokemon including sneasel, throh, and serperior. bulky pivot sets hazards with incredible efficiency and reliability on the pokemon it gets free turns against. physical pokemon are punished for trying to stop it from setting hazards due to helmet + aftermath. the hazards being set are very difficult to remove in a tier with few spinners but plenty of reliable ghost-types, and a couple of defoggers which can't even defog on garbodor because it has the coverage to ko all of them.

glalite: ban

too strong. offensive teams have very few switch-ins. avalugg, piloswine, and poliwrath are good checks but most variants run super fang which cripples all of them, super fang + explosion after sr means that the former two checks don't really win after all; poliwrath loses to freeze dry variants. powerful priority aids it against revenge killers as well. return koes practically everything. too strong. fast enough as well.

mega camerupt: do not ban

it isn't broken. way too slow to make much of an impact in a game. it gets free switch-ins vs garbodor and misdreavus yes but the latter if offensive can do a sizeable chunk while the former should be gone soon enough anyway. offensive outspeeds and nearly every offensive pokemon 2hkoes it. defense also outspeeds it and has the leeway to get off toxics and attacks. mantine is a pretty reliable check as well.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Serperior Suspect Test Results:

WhiteDMist: BAN
Dell: BAN
galbia: BAN
Anty: BAN
Robert Alfons: BAN
Magnemite: BAN
trc: BAN
scorpdestroyer: BAN
Montsegur: BAN

Serperior was deemed unanimously broken by the PU council after the release of Contrary because of its ability to double its Special Attack in one single turn by just using a great offensive STAB move in Leaf Storm becoming a terrifying sweeper and wallbreaker at the same time. This characteristic coupled with its remarkably high Speed that let it outrun the entire unboosted metagame outside of Sneasel, Zebstrika, and the harmless Electrode and the lack of any kind of switch ins outside of Sap Sipper users made it clear how Serperior was too much of a centralizing and overwhelming force for the tier to handle

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Tauros and Kecleon Suspect Test Results:

galbia- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
scorpdestroyer- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
Texas Cloverleaf- Tauros: ABSTAIN Kecleon: DO NOT BAN
Anty- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
GrimoireGod- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
Raiza.- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
Magnemite- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
GasQuake- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
2xTheTap- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
Megazard Z- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
WhiteDMist- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
Dell- Tauros: ABSTAIN Kecleon: ABSTAIN
Montsegur- Tauros: ABSTAIN Kecleon: BAN
Robert Alfons- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN
trc- Tauros: BAN Kecleon: BAN

Reasonings
galbia
Kecleon: BAN
Kecleon's ability to equally threaten offensive and defensive Pokemon thanks to its movepool and Protean is what makes it broken in the current metagame in my opinion. It has a ridicolous strong Sucker Punch that pretty much tears anything not resistent to it apart and without going specific with calcs it OHKOs Raichu with little to no prior damage or does so with some even against the bulkier ones such as Tauros. Defensively once Stealth Rock is up and assuming it is carrying Thunder Punch / Knock Off / Drain Punch / Sucker Punch it has pretty much no answers with very little switch ins considering it removes Eviolites when they come in on Knock Off and has pretty much perfect and functional coverage.
The only argument i can see against a ban is that it is slow and even outsped by a lot of walls (such as Misdreavus) but most of the time they either rely on a Burn to stop it or remain crippled by Knock Off

Tauros: BAN
Tauros outspeeds pretty much everything in the metagame outside of some random Electric-types and Sneasel and hits everything ridicolously hard (offensive Pokemon outside of Leafeon are OHKOd and Defensive one outside of Spdef Gourgeist and Misdreavus are 2HKOd) with a moveset of Rock Climb Zen Headbutt Earthquake or Iron Tail and Fire Blast or Iron Tail. It is also bulky with or without Intimidate and takes priority moves like a god. go away please
scorpdestroyer
Tauros: Ban
- Fast and outspeeds a lot of common Pokemon on offense
- Nearly impossible to switch into because of its huge power unless you run an extremely bulky Pokemon, meaning it works very well vs offensive teams
- Counters are easy to wear down (Missy can't even switch in many times, Costa can't continuously take hazards + EQ damage)

Kecleon: Ban
- Insane STAB coverage: beats a lot of defensive Pokemon, especially with Knock Off
- Once it comes in on something safely it can easily cripple something with Knock Off and even proceed to react to a defensive switch-in accordingly (even stuff like Missy still get crippled badly after Wisping Kek)
- Offensive teams take a lot of damage from its STAB priority moves
- With hazards, offensive Pokemon that would revenge kill it are easily picked off with STAB Sucker Punch while defensive Pokemon just get worn down
]Texas Cloverleaf
Kecleon: Do Not Ban
It seems like I'm the only one who's thoroughly underwhelmed by Kecleon, both in the previous and current metas, both facing and using it.

I'll talk first about when I've used it. I've used a fully offensive Life Orb attacking set and I feel that the posts talking about how strong Kecleon is overestimate it's power. We all know that Kecleon is slow but that's never more apparent than when it comes in for free and has to take 70-80% from the op because it's Sucker Punch can't KO. Consistently, I've found Kecleon to be simply too slow to take advantage of Protean effectively. It will get 2 shotted by an opponent (if not one shotted!) and, while it may KO an opponent thereafter, will struggle to get 2 kills. Against offensive teams it usually isn't a big deal for them to sacrifice whatever is in to cripple Kecleon for the remainder of the match. It isn't uncommon for bulkier or defensive teams to have a mon that can take a hit from Kecleon as hit it back hard as well, for example, Torterra off the top of my head. I had a brief dalliance with special defensive Kecleon and it just sucked lol.

Now I'll talk about facing it, and a lot of what I'll say is similar to above. Using an offensive team Kecleon is no more threatening to me than a Spinda. If I let it run rampant it's going to do damage but a single attack and it's not doing anything for the remainder of the game. As said previously, Kecleon can't switch in on shit and so it's coming in for free after a KO. Usually my mon is at full health in this situation and thus Sucker Punch can't KO. Assuming I'm not fighting weak, one attack will cripple Kecleon at the cost of one member of my team, which on offense isn't a big deal as you've just traded one mon for 1.5 (trade goes even after the sacrificial Kec Sucker Punch). Haven't faced too many Kecleon's with my stall team but I can't recall any Kecleon being particularly threatening vs my phys def stall core of Avalugg+Poliwrath(standard)+Carracosta, with the exception of PuP Kecleon.

That's a bunch of rambley situational shit because I haven't eaten yet but the gist of it is this:

1. Kecleon is really good at forcing 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 trades
2. Kecleon has a large movepool that can allow it to beat common checks (Low Kick, Power-up Punch, Fire Punch for instance). The opportunity cost to this is failing to beat other common Pokemon (if you drop one of Knock/Drain) or losing to offensive pressure (if you drop priority).
3. Kecleon is too frail and not quite powerful enough to consistently force 2 for 1 or 1.5 for 1 situations
4. It's difficult to find a true hard counter, but there are plenty of checks spearheaded by generic offensive pressure

In summary, Kecleon is a powerful Pokemon but fails to have enough of the total package to be ban worthy.

I'll note here that I was running Thunderpunch over Fake out because if you aren't using Thunderpunch congratulations you've just found yourself a counter
252+ Atk Protean Kecleon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 99-117 (30.6 - 36.2%)
252+ Atk Protean Kecleon Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 81-96 (25 - 29.7%)
252+ Atk Kecleon Fake Out vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 42-49 (13 - 15.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

I understand where the pro-ban sentiment comes from but if I were voting today as part of the council I could not in good conscience ban it. I would vote no ban to Kecleon do to being consistently underwhelmed by it both in using and in facing it.

Tauros: Abstain
The meta has adapted to handle it fine imo but it's really stupidly strong. Rip double bull
Anty
  • base 110 is a very nice speed in this meta, as there are only 3 relevant pokes that outspeed

• Only an issue due to its dumb amounts of power that lets it 2hko the entire meta other than 3 pokes (solrock/def missy/def costa) - 2 of which are fairly niche

• It also ohkos tons of offensive pokes like ninetales

• Its coverage allows it to blast through most walls like poliwrath and tangela

• There is no downisde of using it on offensive teams, as it is either getting a kill every time it comes in, or it is weakening a poke like missy who has 0 recovery

• Normal spam makes it more broken as stoutland/ursaring beats most normal checks
  • Protean makes it absurdly powerful, which is incredibly broken with its move set

• Has litterally every coverage it wants, and its main attacks, drain punch and knock off, hit all but fairies, and the one common one (not counting mime) gets beaten by thunder punch

• Sucker punch is what makes it broken, as i dont think it is healthy that it ohkos pokes like raichu, and only needs a bit of hazard/chip damage to KO others

• Special bulk also helps it out as it can tank hits like mime's dazzling gleam, and drain punch recovery can heal this off along with life orb recoil

• Unpredicatability is also scary, as you dont want to send in pokes like wrath in case it has thunder punch, and OTR sets get passed pokes trying to revenge kill it.
GrimoireGod

Tauros outspeeds and 2HKOes almost the whole meta with its exceptional gen 1 movepool, the only exceptions being a select few bulky Ghost-types. It is ridiculously effective against all types of teams and simply destroys teams lacking a dedicated answer. It has so much moves it can effectively make use of to scew your team up, and does not even have 4MSS because it already defeats the majority of the Pokemon in PU with just Rock Climb, Zen Headbutt, and EQ / Iron Tail. Tauros is that one Pokemon that always screws with your teambuilding by forcing you to use dedicated answers (Misdreavus, SpD Gourgeist, Dusknoir, Dusclops). Most of those answers are good Pokemon outside of taking on Tauros but being forced to use a bulky Ghost on every team is incredibly restrictive on teambuilding. Definitely ban this broken bull.

STAB Fake Out + Sucker Punch revenge kills most offensive Pokemon in PU while Kecleon's other moves can deal with majority of the defensive Pokemon. Kecleon is incredibly unpredictable and hard to deal with because of its amazing movepool, Protean, and more than decent stats. More than often you have to sack something to deal with it. Although I believe that people exaggerate how hard it is for offensive teams to deal with it, Kecleon will always pull its weight and more. There is little reason not use Kecleon because of how effective it is at breaking common defensive cores and defeating the majority of the Pokemon on offense. Ban Kecleon as well.[/INDENT]
Raiza.
110 base speed makes it outspeed most of the tier and 100 base atk makes his Rock Climb STAB 2hko many pokémons in PU, still having 95 base defense which makes it not paper against physical attackers, but his stats aren't everything this bull has got by his side, he also has a really good coverage, that ables it to run different sets and break through even physical walls.
What makes Tauros excessively good for me is also Sheer Force, because it ables Tauros to put a lot of damage in a game simply by itself, run flexible sets which become really unpredictable some times and be a cleaning monster with a little support.

It has almost every time a guaranteed switch in on special moves thanks to his high base Special Defense (120, a lot in the tier), also his base atk isn't that bad either coupled with Protean and a Life Orb, which makes his moves hit harder than a lot of the pokémons in PU . Kecleon also has access to some Priorities such as Sucker Punch, Fake Out and Shadow Sneak that make up for its bad speed most of the time, so you just have to pick which one is the best option in regard of your team's needs and Drain Punch, that gives to it more durability and changing his type to fighting, creating also a good synergy with Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak to bait Psychic pokémons in and kill them. But its potential is not limited to the life orb set, Kecleon can also run a lot of various types of sets, from the sr one to the assaul vest, making it unpredictable and dangerous for every playstyle.[/INDENT]
Magnemite
Tauros is simply too fast and strong for PU. Without going out of your way to have an obscure counter to it, no matter what team archetype you have, you will be weak to Tauros. It 2HKOes nearly the entire tier, and also outspeeds nearly the entire tier, which makes it so that there is never a game in which Tauros can't make a huge impact on. There's really no reason that this should be in the tier, which is why I'm voting to ban it.

Just like Tauros, Kecleon is incredibly threatening to every PU team. Whereas Tauros at least had a few switch-ins depending on the set, Kecleon's standard set has 0 switchins, as even the select few Pokemon that aren't 2HKOed (Mainly Tangela and Clefairy) detest Knock Off. Kecleon is also incredibly threatening to offense because it can easily come in after something has died and force a 50/50 that is heavily in its favor. Its Sucker Punch is absurdly powerful, and normal tactics that would otherwise help against a slow Sucker Punch user, such as pivoting around its moves and trying to wear it down, are not effective because it can regain a lot of lost health with Drain Punch. Finally, Kecleon makes every match it is in a lot less fun for the player facing it. Nearly every turn against Kecleon involves a 50/50 or needing to sack something just to initiate another 50/50. I can kind of see some of the arguments that it isn't broken, but they're nowhere near enough to make up for the horrible negative impact Kecleon has on the tier.[/INDENT]
]GasQuake
Tauros is an amazing wall breaker. We all know that. The fact that it can break a large portion of our metagame's walls is a bit ridiculous. I posted in the NP these calc's and it 2hkos most of the defensive meta. That and its given speed doesn't make it a slouch against offense either. It can easily pick apart this play style as well. Life orb, Sheer force, and 110 speed make it too good and overpowering for our meta. Thats why i'm voting ban Tauros.

Kecleon is a bit different of a threat. He doesn't have the speed tauros does nor does he have the capability to run life orb worry free with sheer force. Kecleon does have a few things going for it though it has Protean, good strong priority, and some nice special bulk to couple. Kecleon can run a variety of sets like Assault vest, Life orb fake out, Life orb thunder punch, and OTR. The sheer unpredictability of Kecleon and its power to kill a lot of threats outright is why i'm voting ban Kecleon.[/INDENT]
2xTheTap
I’m voting BAN for Tauros for a few reasons. Simply put, Tauros is over-centralizing to the teambuilding process in PU, because in order to switch in, you always have to carry a bulky ghost like defensive Misdreavus, a behemoth like defensive Carracosta, or something like Solrock (even Solrock isn’t a great answer, as some Tauros carry Iron Tail anyway). What’s more, is that defensive walls that are effective in PU, like Pelipper, Avalugg and Poliwrath for example, are all OHKO’d or 2HKO’d by Tauros’ Sheer Force / Life Orb boosted coverage moves after Stealth Rock (i.e. Thunder or Thunderbolt, Fire Blast and Zen Headbutt, respectively). Simultaneously, it is able to outspeed most non-scarfed offensive threats with its base 110 speed, meaning both Stall and Offense are often hard pressed to provide surefire answers for beating this blind bull.

Likewise, I’m voting BAN for Kecleon. While Kecleon suffers from low speed, poor physical bulk and is crippled by status, it’s easily able to compensate for these flaws via its versatile move pool. Its low speed is not detrimental, as it has access to priority in Shadow Sneak, Fake Out and Sucker Punch. Not only that, but it can run an offensive Trick Room set to 2HKO or even OHKO faster offensive threats that would otherwise beat Kecleon outside of TR (some of the more notable examples include being able to OHKO Sneasel, Tauros and Barbaracle in Trick Room with Drain Punch). In the same way that it overcomes its poor speed with TR and priority, it can also avoid status by running an effective set of PuP and Substitute. However, my main reason for wanting to ban Kecleon stems from the fact that it can beat the majority of its main checks and counters with the appropriate coverage move (both Pelipper and Poliwrath are KO’d by Thunder Punch, for example). Furthermore, Kecleon rips through faster offensive threats with a combination of Fake Out and Sucker Punch (the most notable being Raichu, who is OHKO’d by Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock). Given offensive threats struggle to revenge kill Kecleon after it’s already scored a KO, and defensively oriented options often fail to wall it due to its unpredictable nature, Kecleon deserves a ban in my opinion.[/INDENT]
Megazard Z
As a threat in PU tauros is unmatched in both power and speed. It's reliably outsped by very few mons and has practically no counters with recovery (Croclops and gourgeist being the only ones). While not uncourtedable, it's incredibly limiting to team building and can still easily tear through teams that carry a tauros switchin. With unmatched power, great coverage options such as iron tail, and a few other reliable sets like substitute and scarf, tauros needs to get out now.

While not as 100% broken as tauros, Kecleon also has very few counters and incredible coverage options. The thunder punch set is only countered by throh, the fake out set tears through offense, the AV set has a lot of great utility, and sub/PuP, TR, and snatch kek can all be surprising and devastating. It's no slouch defensively either, it can switch in on plenty of weakened special attackers. While kecleon is let down by poor physical bulk and speed, its lack of counters and total unpredictability make it more than broken in PU.[/INDENT]

WhiteDMist

This was cut and dry. Even playing Devil's Advocate, I had trouble finding reasons for Tauros to stay in PU. Some poor accuracy moves are hardly a compelling reason to keep Tauros around. While it isn't as centralizing as other suspects have been, Tauros just simply lacks any significant drawbacks. Some notable highlights: Sheer Force enhanced moves, amazing Speed for the tier, and the ability to pick and choose what checks/counters it with its last move. Add in decent physical bulk, the ability to run a Choice Scarf set, Intimidate as an alternate ability, and the fact that team support simply enhances what it can already do on its own (most notably hazards), and you have a juggernaut that is too much for PU to handle. Hell, it's not difficult to BP a single Coil, Hone Claws, or Shell Smash boost to Tauros and just tear whole teams apart.

This was a harder decision. Kecleon has considerably more flaws, but also many overwhelming highlights to mitigate them. The largest flaw Keclon has is its poor Speed. Unfortunately for PU, this is remedied with Sucker Punch and other priority moves, Trick Room, and even Thunder Wave. While not perfect answers, these options allow Kecleon to get around its poor Speed, which not many slow Pokemon can boast. Kecleon has poor physical bulk as well, though its above average special bulk prevents it from being completely able to swtich in. It does get easily worn down becaus of this, though Recover and Drain Punch do prevent it from being simply anothe glass cannon. It has many checks, though few counters: these checks can be dealt with by adjusting Kecleon's moveset, as it has a variety of possible moves it can use. This does give it a bit of 4MSS, but it also means that Kecleon can adjust itself for any and all teams. The metagame can adapt to it, btu then agan, Kecleon can also adapt to the metagame. Add it the fact that Kecleon has plenty of support options as well as STAB on every attack it uses, and the flaws just do not seem debilitating enough. I'm not hard set on banning Kecleon, but I am not seeing enough reason for it to stay either, so my vote is ban.​
too threatening to both offense and defense by virtue of protean + insane coverage and power which allow it to modify its set to completely shit on both playstyles. double priority wrecks offense, tpunch destroys defensive teams and it also has recovery to outlast its lo recoil and knock off to cripple any potential defensive answer that might check its set

a faster kecleon with insane coverage at the cost of knock off, dpunch, and recovery. easily the most defining pokemon of the tier and puts a massive strain on building to the point where it isn't a competitive factor
Kecleon: Ban. Its ability to get STAB on everything paired with an already good Attack stat makes it absolute hell to switch into, and with its great special defense it's easy to get it in and do work. Having access to Sucker Punch means that it's an absolute pain for offense to deal with, as basically nothing on offense that doesn't resist it can take a STAB LO Sucker Punch. It fucks defensive teams, it fucks offensive teams, Drain Punch makes it hard to wear down, it's versatile, it's broken.

Tauros: Ban. This thing is so strong and has such a wide movepool that it can potentially beat nearly everything in the tier, it can simply choose what does and doesn't counter it. If it were just a powerful wallbreaker then it'd be just fine, but honestly, base 110 speed on a Pokemon this strong is too much. Something that outspeeds and 2HKOs the entire meta really shouldn't exist down here. The only downside to using it is that you can miss with it, but when the odds are in your favor, you basically get a kill with this thing every game, and probably more. Broken.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Chatter Quick Suspect Results:

scorpdestroyer: DO NOT BAN
Robert Alfons: BAN
Montsegur:

The move has no immunities outside of Soundproof Electrode and Mr Mime, and its only use is pretty much abusing confusion to get Substitute and/or Nasty Plot up and sweep while also doing damage. Thanks to freedom in choosing its moveset (running Chatter, Boomburst and any 2 of Hidden Power Fighting, Substitute, Encore, Nasty Plot are all viable options) and ridiculous power in Boomburst, Chatot can get out of control very quickly with favorable luck. It serves no competitive use in the meta, and only 1, otherwise niche, Pokemon who gets the move. It is clearly uncompetitive as it allows Chatot to win 1-on-1's which it otherwise shouldn't, so can lead to situations where the worse player wins which is exactly the opposite of what an ideal metagame is. Unlike other confusion-inflicting moves, such as confuse ray, chatter cannot be blocked with Substitute or Taunt. Chatter not only turns every move the target makes into a coinflip, but also provides Chatot with a reliable Flying STAB move; you cannot keep switching out as chatter inflicts semi-respectable damage on its own. Chatot's ability to hit hard makes Chatter a lot easier to spam freely, making the uncompetitive aspect of it that much more of an issue. There's really zero reason to keep something that adds nothing to the metagame but a way for a player who would otherwise have no chance to win to easily gain an advantage just because they get lucky, which is something that no serious player would want to have around.

Throh + Sneasel Suspect Test Result

galbia: Sneasel: BAN Throh: BAN
GrimoireGod Sneasel: BAN Throh: DO NOT BAN
WhiteDMist Sneasel: BAN Throh: BAN
raiza. Sneasel: BAN Throh: BAN
Magnemite Sneasel: BAN Throh: BAN
scorpdestroyer Sneasel: BAN Throh: BAN
2xTheTap Sneasel: BAN Throh: DO NOT BAN
GasQuake Sneasel: BAN Throh: DO NOT BAN
Megazard Z Sneasel: BAN Throh: ABSTAIN
Anty Sneasel: BAN Throh: BAN
Montsegur Sneasel: BAN Throh: DO NOT BAN
Dell Sneasel: BAN Throh: BAN

SneaselBANSneasel is broken because it restricts teambuilding because if you dont have Poliwrath, Max Hp Throh, or a niche set like Defensive Carracosta (or Corsola lol) chances are that it is going to get a kill/to heavily cripple something every time it switches in with right prediction. In addition to being a very strong breaker it is also ridicolously fast being outsped only by scarfers and Zebstrika and has the power and especially the coverage (with great offensive STAB, especially Knock Off and Icicle Crash that can flinch which isnt to ignore 9.9) to beat up offensive Pokemon like nothing else can. ThrohBANThroh is broken because it has unparalleled splashability on pretty much every kind of team, works on every damn playstyle and there is no reason not to use it unless Poliwrath fits better in your team. It is also too hard to wear down since it is the best RT user in the tier, enjoys status, and is ridicolously bulky to the point it beats everything outside of fast specs beheyeem and some other ridicolous breaker with SE STAB 1v1. It has no reliable switch in that isn't murdered by a coverage move or is crippled by Knock Off and also has a lot of versatility. The only thing holding it back are the fact that sometimes it doesnt do much more than force a double down but when it does that consistently in every single battle it isnt even a big flaw
Sneasel: Ban.

Because of its Speed and coverage there are few Pokemon that can reliably take Sneasel on, being Poliwrath, Throh, defensive Carracosta, and the mediocre defensive Monferno. Not using one of those Pokemon on your team means you pretty much have to sack something everytime Sneasel gets a safe switch in, if the opponent clicks the appropiate move. Sneasel might not seem very broken as PU has adapted to it a long time ago, but that just shows how broken and centralizing Sneasel is. Outside of the dedicated counters there are a few ways to beat Sneasel, most notably Choice Scarf users such as Mr. Mime and Haunter and hazard stack, but Choice Scarf users cannot switch in because of Knock Off and can be beaten by Ice Shard if at low enough health, while hazard stack, albeit a good strategy, is not something I want to build all my teams around. Sneasel is very unhealthy for PU, so I vote ban.

Throh: No ban.

Throh is an amazing Pokemon that fits on nearly all teams and checks a lot of threats, such as Sneasel and Raichu. It has multiple sets such as RestTalk, Taunt + Toxic, Choice Band, 3 attacks + Toxic, etc, that are all very good. However, all of its set have their issues and can either be taken advantage of or are not hard to wear down (more or less all non-RestTalk sets). PU also has more than enough Pokemon to handle Throh, even if they cannot all switch in safely. I feel like although Throh is very splashable and it is without doubt a S rank Pokemon, it is not so incredibly good that it needs to banned. Throh is just one of the many dangerous threats in PU that you need to prepare for, and I don't think Throh is much more banworthy than the other S-ranks, and even some A+ ones.
Sneasel: BAN

Sneasel is undeniably one of the most dangerous Pokemon in PU, with STAB Knock Off, an amazing Speed, and a powerful offensive secondary type in Ice. Sneasel is frail (even with Eviolite), and has only above average power without a boosting item or Swords Dance; it either has to run all attacking moves for coverage, or give up a powerful Ice STAB for Swords Dance. Sneasel isn't truly "broken" in PU. It does limit teambuilding though, as every team must have a counter or at least 2 checks to it, and in battle it can cripple almost everything with just Knock Off. While it will likely run either a Life Orb attacker or Eviolite Swords Dance set, both of these sets are quite capable of taking down whole teams even with the opponent knowing ahead of time what set is run. It's base 115 Speed is amazing, and it has STAB Ice Shard for the few situations where it must face a faster foe directly. Sneasel has little to no opportunity cost to use, as it doesn't even care about recoil and hazards as it should always either hit and KO, or switch out (unless you are sacrificing it). There are plenty of checks, and even a couple of hard counters (Poliwrath, defensive Carracosta, maybe Throh) for Sneasel, but Sneasel is a Pokemon you have no choice but to prepare for as it is otherwise difficult to play around. While there are many threatening Pokemon that one should always try and prepare for, Sneasel is one of the few that you MUST prepare for, to the point where it overcentralizes teams so that the must carry a counter or multiple checks just to keep it under control. This negative influence has overstayed its welcome, and I vote for it to be banned.

Throh: BAN
For me, this isn't as clear as Sneasel. Throh is a near perfect tank in PU, with above average power and good bulk. It has decent STAB moves with Storm Throw, Superpower, and even Circle Throw. With coverage and utility in Ice Punch, Taunt, Toxic, Bulk Up, and RestTalk, Throh isn't wanting for versatility. Knock Off is a near-perfect compliment to Throh, crippling would-be checks and counters easily. Guts is just the icing on the cake, allowing it to benefit from most status afflictions. It has the typing and bulk to switch into most defensive Pokemon, and even a considerable amount of offensive Pokemon, such as Sneasel, Pawniard, Misdreavus, Raichu, Armaldo, Klang, etc. Hell, Throh can fit on most types of teams easily (though Poliwrath is a common alternative); on the flip side, it can threaten most types of teams as well. My largest concern if the fact that the PU tier does not have anything adequately able to deal with powerful Fighting-types, so Throh is at an advantage most of the time.

Throh has its share of drawbacks though, with the most noticeable being its Speed. It will almost always have to take a hit, so it must switch in against Pokemon that can't immediately threaten it. It cannot run all the moves it wants without giving up either recovery, Bulk Up, or its coverage move(s). Even its recovery option, Rest, is unreliable, as it either gives up its item to run Chesto Berry, gives up a moveslot for Sleep Talk, or endures 3 turns of not doing anything to the opponent. Without Rest at all, Throh is easily worn down due to its low Speed. While Throh is not weak, it isn't exactly going to power through whole teams without a boost (base 100 Atk and lack of Close Combat do not work in Throh's favor). There are also concerns that Throh is only so good because of Sneasel, although Fighting-types in general have it good in PU because of the lack of safe switch-ins to them. That doesn't mean that Throh doesn't have its counters (Carbink if lacking EQ, Pelipper if lacking Thunder Punch, Jumpluff if lacking Ice Punch, physically defensive Togetic if lacking Bulk Up or Choice Band), and many checks can beat it depending on who is in play first (most Psychic-types and Fairy-types can tank at least 1 unboosted hit, even Knock Off).

After looking at both sides, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages (it may not be obscenely strong but its still strong and can boost; it can outspeed some of the more slower Pokemon if necessary; the different possible moves makes it unpredictable). Losing Sneasel may make Throh a less common Pokemon, but it doesn't change all the positive aspects it has.
Throh: Flexible thanks to great coverage and high atk and bulk, which makes it fit in probably every team, from offense to balanced and stall, making it more broken on paper than everything in the tier atm. its access to knock off makes it have few safe switch ins. most used ability guts is a blessing as it puts in work the RestTalk set, making the recovery more reliable and boosting Throh's atk when under status, which is one of the few ways it can be handled. lacking a recovery out of rest and leftovers is a drawback but they are enough with its bulk as they also synergize well with throh overall. banSneasel: One of the strongest pokemon to fit into hyper offense teams thanks to high speed, which lets it outspeed almost every pokemon in the tier and enough atk to rip through offense with knock off and not strong dedicated counters. knock off similiarly to throh makes it more difficult to check and switch in safely. Sneasel is one of the reasons team building is so focused on tanky fighting pokemon such as Poliwrath, as sneasel restricts it too much to stay in the tier, especially if throh goes. ban
Sneasel - This one is pretty cut and dry. Its got few solid switchins being Poliwrath, Throh, and Defensive Costa. It can cut through offensive teams and cripple defensive teams with stab knock off alike. With the amount of power it gets from STAB knock and life orb theres a big warning sign especially coupled with its speed. Not only does it force you to run a dedicated stop unless you want to sack a pokemon to check it everytime it comes in it can just switch out and do the same later. BAN.

Throh- Throh is a different animal entirely. With hulk-like(hue) bulk stats of 120/85/85 its really hard to kill even with super effective hits. The common set has a variety of checks/counters including Dodrio, Togetic, Beheeyem, Shell Armor Torterra, Kadabra, Jumpluff, and Swanna just to name a few. The trouble I have with throh is its hard to counter depending on the set it wants to run. One really good stop to it was Jumpluff before they started to run Ice Punch. Now its pressured by predicting if its Ice Punch Throh or not. However a throh running ice punch instantly makes it easier to wear down with chip damage and hazards a like. I have a few other points but keeping this from being a book I will just jump to it and say NO BAN!
Sneasel: Ban

Sneasel has overstayed its welcome in PU. While it isn't outright broken due to the presence of 2-3 decent answers, all of these answers hate Knock Off and are gradually worn down. Sneasel basically requires the use of one of them on every team, which makes its impact on the PU metagame quite unhealthy and certainly worthy of being banned.

Throh: Ban

Throh isn't really that broken, but it's a bit too good for PU. It can easily beat the majority of the tier one-on-one, and its power and access to Knock Off mean that nothing in the tier wants to switch-in, which is a problem since Throh itself has tons of switch-in opportunities. Combine this with the fact that it's difficult to wear down because of Resttalk and Guts, and Throh is just barely over the edge into broken territory.
I’m voting BAN on Sneasel for a few reasons. Firstly, Sneasel is overcentralizing to teambuilding in PU as it forces you to run a hard counter for it like bulky Carracosta, Poliwrath, Carbink or Throh in order to avoid being swept (all of which are very slow). Secondly, Sneasel is incredibly difficult to check given its great speed stat, coupled with its high attack and STAB priority. The only faster Pokemon in PU (non-boosted) are Electrode, Ninjask, and Zebstrika; even then, Ninjask is OHKO’d by Ice Shard, while the other two can be picked off by boosted priority after residual damage from LO recoil and entry hazards. And finally, if you do have a scarfed Pokemon to reliably check it, you have to sacrifice something before it comes in as switching in directly into Knock Off would remove your Choice Scarf and your ability to safely check Sneasel.

I’m voting DO NOT BAN for Throh. While it is clearly deserving of its S Rank in PU thanks to its bulk, great coverage and limited number of switch-ins, it is not currently worthy of a ban in my opinion. Running a coverage move like Ice Punch or Thunder Punch on Throh is viable and allows you to counter common switch ins to Throh like Jumpluff, Pelipper, Swanna (etc), but doing so severely limits the longevity Throh needs to deal with Offensive teams by removing Rest from its moveset. Furthermore, its low speed stat with a lack of priority means Throh is often revenge killed, and its set of Rest + Sleep Talk is easily exploitable through various means (e.g. Taunt, Encore, ChoiceTrick, setting up on the turn it uses Rest, etc.) and often unreliable (i.e. 33% chance to select Rest). With PU being predominantly oriented toward fast, offensive threats, I think this, in conjunction with the other reasons I’ve already posted on, all keep Throh from being broken in the traditional sense.
Sneasel: ban

Sneasel is very fast and has an incredibly good STAB combination. Without a solid counter, switching and playing around Sneasel with just good checks is difficult because of its Speed and its great coverage moves and Knock Off too good. This means a counter is necessary to handle Sneasel and those aren't always easy to throw into teams, especially offensive ones. Being basically forced to use either Poliwrath / Throh / Carracosta onto every team is very limiting to teambuilding. This makes Sneasel bannable since its speed and power restricts teambuilding and can wipe through teams without one of the few counters.

Throh: ban

I was on the fence for a while but I now think it deserves a ban. Throh is way too bulky and powerful at the same time. RestTalk sets can just check what it needs to, rest on stuff that can't touch it, and keep checking what it has to while threatening Pokemon with its moves. Offensive sets like Choice Band sets hit like absolute trucks, doing a good 60% to Jumpluff with Superpower and the other "counters" can't switch into Stone Edge. It gets many chances to hit foes because it can't really get OHKOed and it can pick its teammates and opportunities correctly such that the opponent cannot afford to stay in and try to 2HKO it.

Throh is too bulky and its power enables it to beat a lot of Pokemon.
Ban Sneasel
There really isn't much to this. Sneasel has a single viable counter that can't be worn down and killed, and that's poliwrath. It has a metagame defining speed of 115, forcing every team to have something that surpasses that mark, which isn't easy. Swords dance is an incredible sweeper, life orb hits ridiculously hard vs anything not named poliwrath, and it can even experiment with sets like natural gift. Sneasel is just so incredibly limiting to building by forcing teams to all have a counter (one of two mons) or several checks/hard counters (of which there are few) that it limits team building too much.

Abstain Throh
I'm too torn to decide on this one. Throh is limiting yet not quite over limiting, does well against certain play styles yet never feels quite broken, has a great ability and move pool, and decent attack stat yet has unreliable recovery and abysmal speed... honestly split too much to vote despite waiting for the last minute.
Sneasel: BAN
Although sneasel may have two solid counters, it pretty much forces you to run either one of the other so your team doesnt get totally destroyed by it. This makes the metagame much less fun and much more centralising which is simply the opposite of an ideal metagame.

Throh: BAN
There are several reasons why throh is an amazing pokemon in this metagame and they all contribute to why it is broken. It is a very strong pokemon with a stupidly amazing STAB and the coverage to beat pretty much every resist, making it virtually uncounterable, its typing combined with its bulk also allows it to switch in to large amounts of the metagame. But the main reason why it is stupidly broken is its ability to fit into every team, not only does it have the sets to fit into any playstyle, but also the offensive and defensive presence. The only pokemon that gives it competition for a team slot is poliwrath, meaning that there really isnt much of a reason to not run it. This combined with its amazing match up with the majority with the metagame is why it is broken.
Sneasel

As a cut and dry decision, the issue we see in Sneasel is that it heavily restricts teambuilding, essentially forcing the tier itself to adapt to it to the point where on practice, it's often seen kept under control. This has been the case throughout the entirety of the PU tier, which is why it can be argued that suspecting this was long overdue. You have no choice but to prepare for Sneasel in the form of hard counters (mostly notably Poliwrath, defensive Carracosta, Carbink, and kinda Throh) or multiple checks to avoid being at an immediate disadvantage the very moment it's sent out, since with its amazing offensive typing, Speed and coverage (Ice/Fighting), almost everything else risks losing to it. Its base 115 Speed is phenomenal, and with STAB Ice Shard, it has a few ways of mitigating situations where it's forced to directly face a faster threat. Knock Off is the single best offensive move to use in the tier, which alone gives Sneasel the ability to simultaneously use its most powerful offensive option, all while crippling almost everything by stripping away their item. These options allow it to effectively use a Life Orb Attacker or Eviolite Swords Dance set, both of which are consistent and capable of sweeping whole teams. In the other hand, Sneasel's most significant drawback comes from its frailty (which is further compounded by its vulnerability to hazards), but even that is not a compelling reason to keep it around because with its overwhelming highlights, there are pretty much no Pokemon that are good at reliably preventing it from performing its job apart from its hard counters. The necessity in running them is what causes Sneasel to overwhelm the tier and create unhealthy restrictions in teambuilding and that’s why I will vote to ban.

Throh

I was initially uncertain on this one, but in the end I agree it's for the best. Since the banning of Musharna and Garbodor, Fighting-types have always been controversial largely due to Sneasel's influence and the tier's lack of viable answers to them. Throh is very far from being an exception; it has such great offensive options and bulk that it functions as the single best tank in the tier (along Poliwrath, who is often seen as an alternative to Throh depending on team needs). It can perform a variety of roles with its STAB options alone (Storm Throw, Circle Throw, and Superpower), and has options/utility in Ice/Thunder Punch, Taunt, Toxic, Bulk Up, and RestTalk. Guts gives it a huge advantage against more defensive teams, as it punishes them in situations where they rely on statusing Throh in order to wear it down effectively. The addition of Knock Off is just icing to the cake, allowing it to cripple its most common checks. It has the typing and bulk to switch in and take advantage of many defensive and offensive Pokemon, and can adjust its moveset to deal with common checks and apply pressure towards any kind of team.

Throh's primary shortcoming is negligible Speed. This means that it's forced to almost always take a hit before doing anything, but this is remedied to a degree by its RestTalk or ChestoRest set. While those sets are by no means perfect solutions, they are still very beneficial in those situations as healing allows it to get around its vulnerability of being worn down. It can run those sets reliably because very few will attempt to switch in as it has the ability to phaze, remove items, or even outright kill threats after a Bulk Up/Guts boost. Defensive teams often have a very hard time dealing with Rest Talk as they often don't have the reliable means of taking it down, while with ChestoRest Throh can utilize its coverage more effectively against more offensive teams.

With all of that said, Throh's drawbacks just aren't debilitating enough on its own because the combination of its bulk, power and versatility allows it to adapt to basically any metagame. I don't feel as strongly as I do about Sneasel, but I’m still unconvinced that it should remain in PU.

Last edited:

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SmashPass Quick Suspect Vote Results:

Raiza.: BAN
Montsegur: BAN
scorpdestroyer: BAN

Shell Smash + Baton Pass is an extremely effective strategy in the PU tier that has increasibly become more and more common on the ladder thanks to its reliability against a lot of teams and ease of set up and playing.

While not unbeatable, SmashPass automatically forces the opponent to change mindsets from setting up their win condition to dealing with the Huntail and its recipients. There is minimal support needed, and most battles and teams involving SmashPass follow a generic formula, stifling creativity. Counters to the strategy are few and far between, and it's difficult to even check the strategy, with the combination of dual screens, decent natural bulk on the part of Huntail and its teammates, the boosted speed, and the fact that Huntail has decent power on its own. It isn't technically uncompetitive, but the fact that only certain teams can afford to carry counters (phazers for defensive based teams basically) does imply match-up reliance problems as well.

Sun Suspect Vote Results:

7 Ban Victreebel, 5 Ban Heat Rock, 0 Ban Chlorophyll, 0 Ban Sunny Day, 0 Do Not Ban

Victreebel was banned from PU for making sun as a playstyle very difficult for many teams to manage. While sun as a whole has good checks in Chlorophyll Jumpluff and Sawsbuck, these checks do not fit on many types of teams, and not running one of these checks makes a team very weak to sun. Victreebel pushed sun over the edge because of its absurd power, coverage, and access to Sleep Powder, which let it easily steamroll through the tier with very few reliable defensive counters (some of which can be muscled past with a Growth set) and wear down opposing teams for its fellow sun sweepers to have a very easy time cleaning up. Because of this, the council has found Victreebel be banworthy.

Barbaracle / Carracosta suspect vote results:

Council:
Dundies: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Do Not Ban
Megazard: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
galbia: Carracosta: Do Not Ban Barbaracle: Do Not Ban
Anty: Carracosta: Abstain Barbaracle: Ban
GrimoireGod: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
Raiza: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
Magnemite: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
scorpdestroyer: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
Montsegur: Carracosta: Do Not Ban Barbaracle: Ban

Rotating Council:
Deej Dy: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
cityfolk: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
Al'Akir: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
blalib: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
HJAD: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban

Ladder Representative Group™ (each vote counts as 1/3 of a vote):

DnB: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Ban
TaskR: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Do Not Ban
General Annoyance: Carracosta: Ban barb: Ban
iChatot: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Do Not Ban
DreamScream: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Do Not Ban
ShuckleDeath: Carracosta: Ban Barbaracle: Do Not Ban

Carracosta: 13 Ban, 2 Do Not Ban, 1 Abstain
Barbaracle: 12 1/3 Ban, 3 1/3 Do Not Ban

Reasoning:

Carracosta: Carracosta has been banned for its lack of defensive answers and access to strong priority that removes most faster Pokemon and Scarfers as checks. Other than a few rare Pokemon such as defensive Metang, Carracosta has very few defensive counterplay. Setting up can be difficult, but Memento support is very easy to provide and gives Carracosta just enough setup opportunities to push it over the edge.

Barbaracle: While Carracosta has almost no defensive answers, Barbaracle's only offensive answers (that don't lose to Jolly) are Kadabra and the very mediocre Scarf Raichu. This puts a lot of pressure on offensive teams which can't necessarily run Pokemon such as defensive Tangela, Gourgeist-XL, or defensive Gabite (which are some of the only defensive answers). Like Carracosta, it isn't the most broken thing ever, but is put over the edge by how easily Memento support from Jumpluff and even Misdreavus is provided which makes up for its biggest flaw of having few setup opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)