ORAS OU (Peaked 1591 #302 Ladder) Bulky Offense, Manaphy and Megagross

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I made this team well before the Metagross suspect test, and I won a tour only using this team on my 1st try. Its definitely one of my favorite teams and I want it to be even better.

Team Building Process/In Depth
Analysis

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Naive Jolly Nature
- Earthquake Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch Grass Knot Substitute
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash Iron Head

I checked the Viability Rankings and this guy was S-Rank so I knew I had to give him a shot, and he was so good he had to get suspect tested. Earthquake and Ice Punch are used to get rid of fire and ground (especially Lando and Charizard) weaknesses, and EV is to speed tie with other base 110 and hit has hard as possible. His coverage is excellent and switching into him isn't easy. Grass knot is extremely useful against ground types and rain teams. Substitute is extremely useful because it allows you to be safe from status moves, and it allows you to survive at least 1 hit (Example: Bisharp sucker punch will hit the sub and then Metagross can kill with Earthquake). Meteor Mash kept on missing for me and Iron Head keeps on flinching for me with perfect accuracy. Despite the perfect accuracy, EQ doesn't hit as many things as Hammer Arm, and Hammer Arm is able to 2HKO Ferrothorn and 1HKO Bisharp. The substitute will keep Metagross safe after the speed drop so the speed drop is not a big issue.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs Expert Belt Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe 72 HP /252 SpA / 184 Spe 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Ferrothorn is very common and walls Metagross with the set I use. This set allows Magnezone to trap and murder Steel types (which are very common now). Magnezone is HP invested to take a hit if necessary and specs are used to hit everything hard (even Lando-T takes a huge hit from flash cannon).
Magnezone is easily an important team member with 9 Steel types in the OU tier, especially Scizor, Ferrothorn and Skarmory). New EV's allow Magnezone to outspeed fully defensive Lando-T and some bulk is still kept. I eventually tried out the choice scarf and I have had a great deal of success with it, as he is able to deal good damage to flying types such as Charizard Y (A huge threat to this team), and provide momentum.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA 248 HP/ 108 Def / 136 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Energy Ball/Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Easily the most underrated sweeper, Manaphy murders after a tail glow. The surprising part is the nature and the EV spread. I made this guy a physical wall and most people would never think of doing that. Suicune is an incredible wall in UU and I thought Manaphy could be another less bulky Suicune. Believe it or not, but he can take a HJK from a mega lopunny and then kill it after a tail glow. Rain Dance could be used to avoid status conditions and allows manaphy to hit harder on unaware clefable with Surf. He sweeps easily and surprises people when it takes a bolt strike from Victini, he's easily the real MVP. New EV spread allows Manaphy to have some bulk and hit harder, especially in rain to unaware Clefable.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Bold Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Defog Roost
- Heal Bell

Finally we have the cleric and flinch master Togekiss. Para flinch is one of the most annoying combos and Togekiss just annoys everyone with it, and its ability makes it better for me, and much worse for them. I wanted a cleric for my team just in case metagross or kyurem-black got burned or if everyone was dying from status conditions. Togekiss is really handy because he has access to heal bell and defog allowing him to be the best support I can use. A bold nature is used to get rid of physical threats especially mega Lopunny. With the addition of Hippowdon, Togekiss is able to trade in some physical bulk for some special bulk allowing them to become reliable mixed defenders for this team.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge Crunch
- Earthquake

I originally had Rotom-W and Breloom, but Hippowdon is the best choice so far. He is able to stop Excadrill (and kill it), and he can actually take a Solar Beam from Charizard Y and then either SR to cripple it for later, or Stone Edge to get rid of it on the spot. These EV's allow him to be bulky in both ways and allows him to be a reliable member of this team. My team was lacking a hazards user and with excellent bulk, Hippowdon fit right in. Crunch was added to KO Gengar, a new threat to this team. Stone Edge is good, but only 8 PP and a chance to miss was a bit harder to use on Gengar. Crunch can also hit Starmie and Latios/Latias while they attempt to remove the Stealth Rocks.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

I originally had Kyurem-Black, but Starmie is able to outspeed most of the tier and remove hazards. His typing also works well with the team as he can stop kill Excadrill and Mega Diancie with ease. Grass knot is used to get rid of Slowbro because Metagross can't touch it otherwise. Max Special attack has proven to be a lot more useful than max hp because I need something that can kill quickly and Starmie fits the bill nicely. Having another hazard remover allows Togekiss to have Roost instead of Defog on its set.

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 126-150 (33.6 - 40.1%) -- 35% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Manaphy: 159-187 (39.3 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Manaphy: 127-151 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Manaphy: 244-288 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Manaphy: 280-330 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Excadrill can kill most of team besides Manaphy and Breloom, but with mold breaker he gets rid of Rotom. An air balloon will protect him from Metagross and Kyurem-Black. Breloom can now take care of him with Mach Punch, but Excadrill is still the biggest threat to the team. Hippowdon, Starmie and Manaphy are the best solutions to him, but he is still extremely deadly to the team.

I don't have much safe switch ins to this guy. Fire moves and solar beam takes care of most of my team. Breloom can hit and kill with rock tomb, but only if the focus sash is still there. Magnezone is now a good option to use as volt switch does about 75% to Charizard, and then you can switch out to Starmie or Hippowdon to kill or force the switchout.

This guy has the movepool (Earth power, fusion bolt, dragon claw, ice beam)and power to kill my entire team. Breloom can mach punch for good damage, but still relies on focus sash to take it out.

Swithing into this isn't easy. Manaphy can kill it with water moves and Kyurem black can kill it with iron head, Breloom can kill it with bullet seed, but otherwise, diamond storm can kill Togekiss, moonblast can kill Manaphy, Kyurem and Breloom, and earth power kills Metagross and Magnezone.

This guy can kill everyone after a swords dance. Iron Head kills togekiss and knock off and sucker punch take care of everyone else. Breloom's Mach punch forces Bisharp to switch or rely on Iron Head to Kill Breloom. Still a large threat to the team. Hippowdon is a good option, but Bisharp is still strong enough to take out the team or a good number of them.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Substitute
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 136 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Togekiss (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Shoutout to AD Impish John for Testing this team and providing me with more threats and to Trinitrotoluene for suggesting new spreads/ helping me with the team. A huge thanks to MrAldoPls for helping me rebuild my team and make it successful and fun again!

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
EDIT:

I know its dumb but I found a song to go with this team: Never Let Up! - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Music Extended - YouTube (Fun and Challenging)

Awesome Fun Team and Thnx for helping me during the battles. Sorry for my low ranked battles I have lost alot with my crap teams.

Replays: Here is the Battle 1: (Freeze Hax tho...) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-214650237 and Battle 2 (damn rotom with screens) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-214653061 . 6-0 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-215315995

Threats: Diancie can be a threat but rotom-w and manaphy can do the job to counter it. Also scarf kyurem-b can kill this team: earth power can kill metagross, rotom-w and magnezone. Fusion bolt kills manaphy. Ice Beam kills togekiss. and dragon claw kills kyurem (if max speed).

Last edited:
Reactions: TPP

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Awesome Team and Thnx for helping me during the battles. Sorry for my low ranked battles I have lost alot with my crap teams. Here is the Battle 1: (Freeze Hax tho...) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-214650237 and Battle 2 (damn rotom with screens) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-214653061 .

Threats: Diancie can be a threat but rotom-w and manaphy can do the job to counter it. Also scarf kyurem-b can kill this team: earth power can kill metagross, rotom-w and magnezone. Fusion bolt kills manaphy. Ice Beam kills togekiss. and dragon claw kills kyurem (if max speed).

Suggestions: I can't think of any right now but I will edit this to say later.
Thanks for trying it out, winning both of your matches, and thanks for helping me with the threat list! I hope you continue to win with it and have fun with it!

Hey, I tried out the team and I love it already. I would suggest taking off Ice Punch on Metagross for Grass Knot just to hit Slowbro and Hippo harder. Also, I love the Manaphy EV Spread!

TPP

Head TD
Hey, I tried out the team and I love it already. I would suggest taking off Ice Punch on Metagross for Grass Knot just to hit Slowbro and Hippo harder. Also, I love the Manaphy EV Spread!
I haven't faced any Slowbros, but I do see your point because Metagross would get walled and wouldn't be able to do anything. Also he could hit Keldeo (which is becoming very common) and surprise it because burns won't affect Grass knot.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
> insert snarky comment about how infrequently i rate teams here <

hi, you asked me to give this team a rate on ps!, so i'm kinda obliged to give you one. so, you've got a decent team over here, but i feel that i can make it even better.

instead of looking at your team's ability to take on offensive teams, which it does rather decently, i'll instead focus on its ability to combat stall teams in this paragraph. while you do have tail glow + rain dance manaphy, which puts in work against most stall teams, i'm not a big fan of your current ev spread. while it may help against certain physical threats, i feel that this makes your togekiss a bit redundant. to remedy these issues, i'd recommend using an ev spread of 248 hp / 108 def / 136 spa / 16 spe and a modest nature on your manaphy. the evs and nature guarantee a 2hko with a rain-boosted surf against 252 hp / 0 spd bold unaware clefable and 252 hp / 168 spdef ferrothorn (well, it's actually a 99.6% chance to 2hko, but who's arguing semantics?) after one tail glow boost, which i feel will be handy for your team. they also give manaphy a respectable amount of bulk (enough to take on the threats you outlined in manaphy's description) while allowing manaphy to outrun max speed adamant bisharp in the process. adding onto this, i feel that mega metagross would benefit more from running grass knot instead of ice punch and a hasty nature instead of the jolly nature it currently runs. this gives you a reliable lure to hippowdon, (mega) slowbro, and other bulky waters not named rotom-w, which makes up for the lack of energy ball on manaphy. besides, you'll be wearing lando-t down easily w/ meteor mash alone due to its lack of reliable recovery, and hippowdon won't like taking a grass knot. dragons (as well as frailer ground-types) don't like switching in mega metagross regardless, so you don't lose much there.

as some other users mentioned earlier, some faeries can give you trouble. of particular note is belly drum azumarill, which can easily clean house against your team once it's slightly weakened. to fix this, i'd recommend using an ev spread of 248 hp / 216 spd / 44 spe on your rotom-w. this gives you just enough speed to creep even the fastest azumarill and hit them with a burn, keeping your team from being swept 6-0. the slight reduction in hp evs also reduces the amount of passive damage rotom-w takes, which you might find helpful. offensive m-scizor also looks a bit problematic if you don't play your cards right, so another quick fix you could make is changing your magnezone's ev spread to 72 hp / 252 spa / 184 spe and using a timid nature over your current evs and nature. while mag loses a little bit of its strength and bulk, this ev spread lets you beat the standard offensive mega scizor and anything slower. finally, iron head really isn't doing much on cube. personally, i think you'd get quite a bit more mileage out of fusion bolt instead. this move change gives you a way to reliably revenge kill (mega) gyarados, non-scarf keldeo, and starmie without locking yourself into outrage and having a fairy set up on your face.

tl;dr:
    • 252 hp / 252 def / 4 spa => 248 hp / 108 def / 136 spa / 16 spe
    • bold => modest
    • ice punch => grass knot
    • jolly => hasty
    • 252 hp / 4 spa / 252 spd => 248 hp / 216 spd / 44 spe
    • 248 hp / 252 spa / 8 spe => 72 hp / 252 spa / 184 spe
    • modest => timid
    • iron head => fusion bolt
hope this helps. have a nice day n_n

TPP

Head TD
> insert snarky comment about how infrequently i rate teams here <

hi, you asked me to give this team a rate on ps!, so i'm kinda obliged to give you one. so, you've got a decent team over here, but i feel that i can make it even better.

instead of looking at your team's ability to take on offensive teams, which it does rather decently, i'll instead focus on its ability to combat stall teams in this paragraph. while you do have tail glow + rain dance manaphy, which puts in work against most stall teams, i'm not a big fan of your current ev spread. while it may help against certain physical threats, i feel that this makes your togekiss a bit redundant. to remedy these issues, i'd recommend using an ev spread of 248 hp / 108 def / 136 spa / 16 spe and a modest nature on your manaphy. the evs and nature guarantee a 2hko with a rain-boosted surf against 252 hp / 0 spd bold unaware clefable and 252 hp / 168 spdef ferrothorn (well, it's actually a 99.6% chance to 2hko, but who's arguing semantics?) after one tail glow boost, which i feel will be handy for your team. they also give manaphy a respectable amount of bulk (enough to take on the threats you outlined in manaphy's description) while allowing manaphy to outrun max speed adamant bisharp in the process. adding onto this, i feel that mega metagross would benefit more from running grass knot instead of ice punch and a hasty nature instead of the jolly nature it currently runs. this gives you a reliable lure to hippowdon, (mega) slowbro, and other bulky waters not named rotom-w, which makes up for the lack of energy ball on manaphy. besides, you'll be wearing lando-t down easily w/ meteor mash alone due to its lack of reliable recovery, and hippowdon won't like taking a grass knot. dragons (as well as frailer ground-types) don't like switching in mega metagross regardless, so you don't lose much there.

as some other users mentioned earlier, some faeries can give you trouble. of particular note is belly drum azumarill, which can easily clean house against your team once it's slightly weakened. to fix this, i'd recommend using an ev spread of 248 hp / 216 spd / 44 spe on your rotom-w. this gives you just enough speed to creep even the fastest azumarill and hit them with a burn, keeping your team from being swept 6-0. the slight reduction in hp evs also reduces the amount of passive damage rotom-w takes, which you might find helpful. offensive m-scizor also looks a bit problematic if you don't play your cards right, so another quick fix you could make is changing your magnezone's ev spread to 72 hp / 252 spa / 184 spe and using a timid nature over your current evs and nature. while mag loses a little bit of its strength and bulk, this ev spread lets you beat the standard offensive mega scizor and anything slower. finally, iron head really isn't doing much on cube. personally, i think you'd get quite a bit more mileage out of fusion bolt instead. this move change gives you a way to reliably revenge kill (mega) gyarados, non-scarf keldeo, and starmie without locking yourself into outrage and having a fairy set up on your face.

tl;dr:
    • 252 hp / 252 def / 4 spa => 248 hp / 108 def / 136 spa / 16 spe
    • bold => modest
    • ice punch => grass knot
    • jolly => hasty
    • 252 hp / 4 spa / 252 spd => 248 hp / 216 spd / 44 spe
    • 248 hp / 252 spa / 8 spe => 72 hp / 252 spa / 184 spe
    • modest => timid
    • iron head => fusion bolt
hope this helps. have a nice day n_n

thanks a ton for your help. I'm loving grass knot right now and Magnezone's speed is really handy now. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-215597421 I faced a rain team and Grass knot basically won me the game ( I got haxed so much). I really appreciate your help and hopefully this team will continue to win and win again.

Hi, I've been using your team and it's been awesome, the only problem is that I feel like Togekiss needs Roost, but it also needs Defog and Heal Bell.

TPP

Head TD
Hi, I've been using your team and it's been awesome, the only problem is that I feel like Togekiss needs Roost, but it also needs Defog and Heal Bell.
I know what you mean, Togekiss doesn't have any recovery besides leftovers and it can't wall that long. Heal Bell is what most people would take off, but I need it to keep Metagross and Kyurem status free, because if they go down, I can't kill something like Chansey easily.

Hi! Nice team :)
This is just me.. but I suggest running Scald on Manaphy.. as that burn chance may help in certain situations.

TPP

Head TD
Hi! Nice team :)
This is just me.. but I suggest running Scald on Manaphy.. as that burn chance may help in certain situations.
I think Surf gets a big boost from Rain and Tail Glow, but Burns are really helpful too. I'm usually unlucky when it comes to burning with scald so I just use surf. Its a hard choice between a little power and a chance to burn. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

+6 136+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias in Rain: 291-342 (91.2 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

+6 136+ SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias in Rain: 258-304 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think Surf gets a big boost from Rain and Tail Glow, but Burns are really helpful too. I'm usually unlucky when it comes to burning with scald so I just use surf. Its a hard choice between a little power and a chance to burn. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

+6 136+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias in Rain: 291-342 (91.2 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

+6 136+ SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias in Rain: 258-304 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Haha give it a shot. :) Also, you would also need SR to secure some KO's.. like that ladder match I saw.. if you had rocks, you would have easily OHKO'd that Gyarados. xD

But then again, it's always hard to add something to the team without screwing up the other members..

Nice team, well build.
Hammer arm is better than Earthquake on mega metagross, against ballon Pokemon , like balloon heatran and
balloon Excadrill...

Maybe u need mega pinsir counter, it can rekt your team after +2 atk. Also grass knot helps u to faint slowbro which is a common used mega gross counter rn...

TPP

Head TD
Nice team, well build.
Hammer arm is better than Earthquake on mega metagross, against ballon Pokemon , like balloon heatran and
balloon Excadrill...

Maybe u need mega pinsir counter, it can rekt your team after +2 atk. Also grass knot helps u to faint slowbro which is a common used mega gross counter rn...
I don't run Hammer arm because of its accuracy, taking Iron Barb/Rough Skin/ Rocky Helmet Damage, and the speed drop (which would force me to switch out). Togekiss is my Mega Pinsir Counter because Pinsir because Pinsir can't kill it unless it uses SD. I had Grass knot, but Substitute turned out to be much more useful because I could use it on Rotom-W and other status move users, and then kill them.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 186-219 (49.7 - 58.5%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

TPP

Head TD
Haha give it a shot. :) Also, you would also need SR to secure some KO's.. like that ladder match I saw.. if you had rocks, you would have easily OHKO'd that Gyarados. xD

But then again, it's always hard to add something to the team without screwing up the other members..
I wanna run an entry hazard, but I'm not sure what to replace or who to use them on. I can't think of any right now, but hopefully someone else can.

Might I recommend Raikou instead of Breloom.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 184 SpA / 100 SpD / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory

With an assault vest, it hits 390 SpD meaning it can switch into a large amount of special attacks, then volt switch straight back out giving you all of the momentum. Also it's quick as anything in the tier.

It also checks Talonflame as it outspeeds it and takes a BB very nicely.
Extrasensory hits Gengar/Venusaur, but you can run shadow ball if you'd like.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory

With an assault vest, it hits 390 SpD meaning it can switch into a large amount of special attacks, then volt switch straight back out giving you all of the momentum. Also it's quick as anything in the tier.

Yeah but magnezone would be replace with raikou rather than breloom

TPP

Head TD

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Extrasensory

I would personally run max speed with timid just to outspeed everything, and the remaining EV can be similar to what you have, Raikou is not a bad choice, but Excadrill still wrecks this team with ease, and Raikou can't do much back to it. Also having Magnezone and Raikou would be a little strange, due to both of them having volt switch and thunderbolt. Right now I'm considering Air Balloon Heatran (max special defense), but I'm also considering Zapdos (a bit more special bulk than the usualy bulk set) and maybe even a lead Infernape (with SR, Grass Knot (Slowbro), Mach Punch, and Overheat/Endeavor). Gyarados would work well too I think, so I'll try finding a set for him. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it might not be effective enough (mainly because Excadrill gets an easy sweep).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)