Other Pokemon Terminology Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok guys I'm gonna do updates soon, since I've been kinda busy with various things.

EDIT: Ok so I've changed the definition of a stallbreaker a little bit so that it doesn't sound too much like "only pokemon who have taunt are stallbreakers"

Last edited:
Don't know if it has been already pointed out, but the term "Spinblocker" appears twice in the roles section (16th and last terms).

Term: Birdspam
Explanation:
Birdspam is an offensive playstyle that is centered around using a core of Talonflame + Mega Pinsir (or Staraptor) to defeat an opponent's team. Talonflame, Pinsir, and Staraptor wear down each other's counters and checks until one of them can break through and sweep. In this setup, Pinsir/Staraptor acts as the wallbreaker, and Talonflame cleans up against weakened opponents. The name "Birdspam" came from the fact that in the early XY meta, users of a Talonflame/Mega Pinsir core or Talonflame/Staraptor core, won easily by abusing Brave Bird and Aerilate Return.
Example: If a team has both Talonflame and Mega Pinsir/Staraptor then it is usually labeled as a birdspam team. When someone says, "My team is birdspam weak", they're basically saying that they have a team that struggles against the aforementioned cores.
Reference: Personal Reference.

In all honesty, would it not be a good idea to make this a thread on the general Competitive Discussion forum, since most of the terms do apply to all tiers? Aside from some obvious outliers like Birdspam, of course, but other tabs could be made for tier-specific terms.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, that does seem like a cool idea, but I dunno what mods would think about this, and if I were to post it there I would need to do some cleaning up. I've got loads of work to do but I'll try to update as soon as possible.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
Term: FWG
Explanation: an abbreviation used when you refer to a core made by a fire, a water and a grass pokemon. It is common to see a defensive core formed by these three types because they cover each other weaknesses pretty well.
Example: Heatran-mega venusaur-quagsire
Reference: personal experience

Term: FDS
Explanation:
an abbreviation used when you refer to a core made by a fairy, a dragon and a steel pokemon. It is common to see a defensive core formed by these three types because they cover each other weaknesses pretty well.
Example: mega charizard x-ferrothorn-clefable
Reference: personal experience

Term: Drizzletoed
Explanation: Politoed with the ability drizzle.
Example: That person is going to set up rain with his Drizzletoed.
Reference: Personal experience, PS chat.

Edit; fixed spelling

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
Term: Cripple
Explanation: When a Pokemon statuses or weakens another Pokemon so that it cannot function effectively throughout the rest of the match.
Example:
1.) Keldeo is such a good Pokemon because it can get past it's usual checks and counters such as Latios and Azumarill by crippling them with Scald.
2.) Skarmory can cripple Mega Metagross enough with Counter that another Pokemon can come and finish it off easily.
Reference: Personal experience, Forums

Term: Viability
Explanation: Refers to the effectiveness and how a Pokemon fares in the metagame right now.
Example: Tornadus-Therian's viability is rising due to it's excellent base speed tier, access to Regenerator and a wide array of utility moves such as Knock Off and U-turn, letting it check many prominent threats such as Keldeo and Gengar.
Reference: Personal experience, Viability Rankings.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Hey there

firstly, '2.) Skarmory can cripple Mega Metagross enough with Counter that another Pokemon can come and finish it off easily.'

no, that's problematic English usage and i'd argue that's not crippling; as a fairly fast mon that sometimes carries prio, M-gross can arguably survive despite being at low health. It's pretty limiting and it can no longer switch into a lot of stuff, but crippling? You're not stopping it from still outspeeding stuff and just hitting hard as well, which is what most crippling things do.

What I really came to ask you is to get rid of the shitty definitions of Check and Counter. Let's be honest; if you go and actually read MattL's article, you pretty much notice that he doesn't know what he's talking about; Mamoswine checks Bisharp by dint of revenge killing it, but can't switch into any move but Sucker Punch and then take a Sucker Punch afterwards (I.e. Knock Off + Sucker KOes, Swords Dance -> +2 Sucker Punch Koes, Iron Head probably just Koes but Sucker Punch is still there and all). This is the main problem with the check definition, i.e. that it focuses too much on bottom-feeder checks instead of emphasizing that, while those are technically checks, you really want more robust checks that can actually switch into moves, and TBH many advanced players wouldn't refer to revenge killers as checks for the most part.

Oh yeah, all of his named counters can only safely switch in once, which is pretty hilarious and all but emphasizes the main flaw in the counters explanation (well, kinda)

Explanation: Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.

So i see in your example you took 'every time' to mean that healing is involved, which is the big catch with how he took it in his article and arguably how you can take it in general. If you don't have the ability to heal off damage, oftentimes you can just be worn down pretty easily and fail to be a counter. Be nice if the explanation was made mildly stronger on this point, though your example is a pretty good explanation of an actual counter.

I'd recommend maybe adding "Soft" and "Hard" check/counter definitions.

For example, Rotom-W is a soft counter to bird spam since he can switch into basically any move from a Bird Spam team at full health, but can't do it consistently without a way to keep his health up. On the other hand, Chesnaught is a HARD counter to Mega Swampert because none of Swampert's moves can 2HKO him (Ice Punch is barely a 3HKO) and Chesnaught has means to keep his health up (Drain Punch, Leech Seed, Synthesis), so even after forcing it out that first time, Chesnaught can still come back and beat him again and again.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Term: T-Tar
Explanation: A shortened name for Tyranitar.
Example: T-Tar is a great partner for Excadrill since it can set up Sand with Sand Stream.
Reference: Forums, personal experience, The Pokemon Dictionary (I think?).

Term: ScarfTar/Scarftar
Explanation: A 4 Attacks Tyranitar set holding a Choice Scarf. Almost always runs Pursuit to trap Gengar and Lati@s for teammates.
Example: ScarfTar is a great partner for Keldeo and/or Landorus-I since it can consistently Pursuit trap Lati@s, which otherwise give them trouble.
Reference: Forums, personal experience

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
We've got t-tar already. Adding hard and soft checks/counters is a great idea, and also solves tehy's issues.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
i know this is OU, but i had no idea what LC was when i started soooooo,

Term: LC
Explanation: abbreviation for Little Cup
Example: its a tier where level 5 mons that are the original evolution of an evolution line.
Reference: personal experience.

pliez don't kill me.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wanted to submit a slightly more detailed definition for geopass.

Term:
Geopass
Explanation: The usage of the moves geomancy and baton pass by smeargle to a stored power sweeper, usually full teams are based around this strategy. Smeargle also carries cotton guard very often on these teams.
Example: Smeargle to Espeon
Reference: OU Chatroom / Personal Experience

Term: Crit
Explanation: Abbreviation for Critical Hit
Example: I need a crit to win this battle
Reference: Personal Experience / Other players

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey DarkNostalgia I think you may have missed my post on page 2 :(

Also in the roles tab: Dual Screens and Dual Screener are both listed (I think I already said this) and Spinblocker is mentioned twice.

Anyway I feel wrong posting in this thread without adding a term so here's one

Term: PP Stall
Explanation: Spamming moves like Recover until your opponent runs out of Power Points for a certain move.
Example: I kept using Slack Off with my Hippowdon until my opponent's Terrakion ran out of PP for the move Close Combat.
Reference: Personal Experience, the guy cursed me out and left

Last edited:

bludz

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Term: Setup Fodder
Explanation: A pokemon that is completely harmless to another pokemon and can be set up on easily.
Example: Defogger Mew is setup fodder for SD Talonflame because it can't use Will-O-Wisp on it and Knock Off does very little damage.
Example: Sub Calm Mind Keldeo uses passive mons with weak attacks that rely on status moves as setup fodder thanks to Substitute.
Reference: Personal Experience

Term: Speed creep
Explanation: Investing more EVs into speed to pass speed benchmarks and outrun potential checks
Example: Defensive Rotom-W runs 44 Spe to outspeed Jolly Azumarill
Reference: The "Simple Questions, Simple Answers" thread, analyses of defensive Pokemon

Term: LO
Explanation: Abbreviated form of Life Orb
Example: LO Tornadus-T, LO SD Aegislash
Reference: The Pokemon Dictionary, Personal Experience

bludz

Term: Double switch
Explanation: Switching twice in a row, generally to create a favorable matchup. Usually the first switch is to scare something out and then the second is to get the favorable matchup with a proper prediction.
Example: I switched my Charizard Y into my opponent's Mega Scizor and then double switched into my Tyranitar predicting him to switch into Latios.

Term: Overpredict
Explanation: Predicting your opponent to make a play when they just go for a simpler move. This can occur when failing to recognize your opponent's best possible play.
Example: In the same scenario as above, my opponent weighed his options and realized it was not worth switching out his Mega Scizor. He went for U-turn, accepting the KO from Charizard if I went for Flamethrower and ultimately ended up punishing my overprediction and KOing my Tyranitar.

Last edited:
I know it's already done but I believe mine is more detailed.
Term:FDS
Explanation: Like FWG,FDS is the name given to the core of Fairy,Dragon and Steel Type mons.Fairy types can switch into Steel types on the incoming Poison move,Dragon types can switch into Fairy types on the incoming Dragon move,Steel types can switch into Fairy types on the incoming Fighting move.
Example:Azumarril,CharizardX,Magnezone
Reference:Personal Experience,Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)