The Everything NHL Thread

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I think this is a pretty fair deal, Franson started off as a Pred so they definitely can put trust in him plus his numbers have stayed constant despite being on a declining Leafs squad. Santorelli is another ex-Pred who really has only been doing OK in the past 2 seasons so him for Jokinen who is in what will probably be his final season is a steal for the Preds imo.

I think this is a pretty fair deal, Franson started off as a Pred so they definitely can put trust in him plus his numbers have stayed constant despite being on a declining Leafs squad. Santorelli is another ex-Pred who really has only been doing OK in the past 2 seasons so him for Jokinen who is in what will probably be his final season is a steal for the Preds imo.
They gave up a prospect as well, so it was pretty much the prospect for Santorelli. Jokinen's gonna get flipped at the deadline to someone desperate for veteran depth for a 7th rounder. Also hearing some significant rumors about Kessel to the Islanders. They're one of few teams with the prospects to pull that trade off, so if they do before the playoffs, may as well hand them the cup (and bragging rights....damn)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The Leafs are quite laughable, and have been for about a decade. They're trying to jump into the tanking race about 5 months too late.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
That's true, even if you're not guaranteed McEichel like the Sabres will be, you'll still have a decent lottery ball and at worst, one of those three Tier II guys underneath them.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
no way the isles land kessel imo

gotta keep the best prospects so the team has a window in the future, rather than mortgaging the farm for a chance to win now. i'd love him but i don't foresee it happening unless the leafs get fleeced

no way the isles land kessel imo

gotta keep the best prospects so the team has a window in the future, rather than mortgaging the farm for a chance to win now. i'd love him but i don't foresee it happening unless the leafs get fleeced
It scares me to death, but they're one of the few teams with the young assets to pull it off. Strome, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Ho-Sang etc. I hope they don't, cause if the do JT puts up 100+ points a year and they can absolutely ride those two plus their depth to a cup or two
They might actually win a playoff series too

Holy shit I didn't know they moved the deadline to today.
Tlusty to the Jets for a 3rd and conditional 6th
Winnik to the Pens for a 2nd, a 4th, and Zach Sill
Sekera to the Kings for a Conditional 1st and a prospect

EDIT: Damn it why does no one post on this thread? Would rather make a seperate post but not gonna triple post.
Jagr to the Panthers for a 2nd and a 3rd

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
WE GOT RID OF CLARKSON!

WE GOT RID OF CLARKSON!!!!

WE GOT RID OF CLARKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLY FUCK!

SMEAGOL IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

WE GOT RID OF CLARKSON!

WE GOT RID OF CLARKSON!!!!

WE GOT RID OF CLARKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLY FUCK!

SMEAGOL IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
The rebuild is in full force. What kind of voodoo magic did the Leafs do to pull that shit off though? Thought that contract would be unmovable.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The rebuild is in full force. What kind of voodoo magic did the Leafs do to pull that shit off though? Thought that contract would be unmovable.
columbus ownership wanted ANY kind of contribution for their money, and the leafs don't mind paying millions of dollars to a guy who's never going to play again as long as they have no cap hit

also columbus stupidly didn't insure the horton contract

just an awful trade for the blue jackets, who essentially had to make it because of ownership

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
columbus ownership wanted ANY kind of contribution for their money, and the leafs don't mind paying millions of dollars to a guy who's never going to play again as long as they have no cap hit

also columbus stupidly didn't insure the horton contract

just an awful trade for the blue jackets, who essentially had to make it because of ownership
Columbus physically couldn't insure his contract due to Hortons past injury history

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm confused about the Horton trade for the Columbus side.

Everyone on the internet (except Solace) is saying it was a great trade for both sides, but isn't paying Horton's contract without a cap hit better than paying Clarkson's contract for a mediocre power forward with that cap hit???

I'm really not understanding that at all....

Unless ownership decided to be cheap and didn't want to pay for Horton + better alternative to Clarkson...in which case fuck the ownership.

Texas Cloverleaf

Everyone on the internet (except Solace) is saying it was a great trade for both sides, but isn't paying Horton's contract without a cap hit better than paying Clarkson's contract for a mediocre power forward with that cap hit???

Unless ownership decided to be cheap and didn't want to pay for Horton + better alternative to Clarkson...in which case fuck the ownership.
Columbus has some serious cash flow problems, they couldn't afford to be paying Horton's 5M a year to not play for them. Acquiring Clarkson means that for the same cost they get a warm body to play for them. So yeah it's basically ownership being cheap except that they borderline couldn't afford to pay Horton+another

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-of-nhls-haves-and-have-nots/article23226962/

explains it great^

Last edited:

Ownership wants Connor McDavid in Ohio, so bringing in Clarkson helps out that effort tremendously.

Solace

royal flush

yeah, it was almost all ownership motivated from what i've read
they signed a bad, uninsurable contract and didn't want to pay money for a guy who wasnt gonna play, but the leafs have infinite cash so they don't mind paying it to get rid of clarkson's cap hit

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
holy fucking trade deadline Batman

Arizona tried to step up with the tank, and Tim Murray Badger JUST DON'T GIVE A FUCK

So is Nashville's slide how they're going to be in the playoffs? Or do you guys think this is just a rough patch in the road for them and they'll be fine?

Just so it's out there, let the record show that the Rangers are now 15-2-3 since Hank went down. Good to see everyone saying that we relied on Hank and that we'd really struggle to keep pace look like idiots. 1st in the Metropolitan with games in hand, 1st in the Conference with games in hand, and tied for 1st in the NHL with games in hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)