ORAS UU Teambuilding Compendium [Updated Post Stage 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Approved by Calloflochie. OP adapted from Aerow. Original poster Key.
Special thanks to my buddy ThatMushroom. Credits to Chamaeleon for the banner.

ORAS UU TEAMBUILDING COMPENDIUM

The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the ORAS UU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role.

Below, we have the various roles an ORAS UU team might want a Pokémon to fill. For each of these roles is a list of Pokémon which can fulfill that role; all of the Pokémon listed can work at least somewhat viably as a performer of the role, but they have been ranked very roughly by how viable it would be to use a Pokémon for said role in the current metagame. If there is a Pokémon which is not listed which can perform well in a certain role, please feel free to post about it, and we may add it. However, this thread is not meant to be a place for discussion about the viability of Pokémon in general, unless a Pokémon's placement is drastically off - we have Viability Rankings for that.

Megas:

Stealth Rock:

Spikes:

Toxic Spikes:

Sticky Web:

Dedicated Lead:

Hazard Control:

Wish/Healing Wish:

Heal Bell/Aromatherapy:

Walls:

Specially Defensive:

Physically Defensive:

Mixed:

Dual Screen Users:

Assault Vest Users:
The almighty future lord

U-Turn/Volt Switch:

Pivots:

Offensive:

Defensive:

Fire Checks:

Dark Checks/Knock Off Switch-ins:

(acrobat)

Water Checks:

Fighting Checks:

Flying Checks:

Ground Checks:

Physical Dragon Checks:

Special Dragon Checks:

(Vest)

Volt Switch-ins:

Stallbreakers/Wallbreakers:

Choice Users:

Scarf:

Band:

Specs:

Setup Sweepers:

Swords Dance:

Calm Mind:

Nasty Plot:

Dragon Dance:

Rock Polish/Agility:

Other:
(Shell Smash)
(Hone Claws)
(Belly Drum)
(Bulk Up)
(work up)
(Curse)
(Focus Energy)
(Quiver Dance)

Phazers:

Trappers:

Pursuit:

Ability:

Priority Users:

Pursuit bait:

Drops:

Rises:

Last edited:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I'd like to thank Key for lending me the responsibility of running this thread, which was originally posted by him, because he didn't have enough time to keep it going.

The compendium was a little bit outdated, but I already fixed that taking into account the suggestions posted on the original thread (obviously not all, but the ones that were viable). Here is the list:

• Added Seismitoed to Water Check, Fire Check, Volt Switch-In, Stealth Rock and Physically Defensive Mon.
  • Added Gligar to mixed wall.
  • Added Kyurem to phazers.
  • Added Heracross to wallbreakers, Choice Band, Choice Scarf and Swords Dance users.
  • Added Salamence to Hazard Control, Choice Scarf users, Fighting checks and Physical Walls.
  • Added Forretress to Dedicated Leads (Custap release makes it fit) and Toxic Spikes users.
  • Added Heliolisk to Volt Switch users and Water checks.
  • Added Snorlax to Fire checks.
  • Added Slowking to Water, Fire and Fighting checks.
  • Added Pangoro to Choice Band users and Dark/Knock Off switchins.
  • Added Tyrantrum to Fire checks, Flying checks, Wallbreakers and Choice Band users.
  • Added Dragalge to Special Walls and Water checks.
  • Created a Dragon Dance section.

I will continue updating this list as I remember what else I had in mind. If you have any other suggestions, just post here and I will determine if they are viable enough to be listed.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
A few suggestions: Agility/Rock Polish sweepers, with preliminary users in Feraligatr, Tyrantrum, Porygon-Z, Kingdra, and maybe Mega Ampharos and Empoleon. Also, Dragon check. Why have we not added that yet? There's a ton of Dragon checks that I can't think of right now.

EDIT: Also Raikou is still in Calm Mind users, in addition to what Yamb said about Diancie.

Last edited:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Update:

• Added Salamence to Wish Support.
  • Added Tyrantrum to Dragon Dance and Rock Polish users.
  • Added Alomomola to Physical Walls.
  • Removed Raikou and Diancie (I knew I was forgetting something)
  • Created both Physical and Special Dragon Checks sections. I split the two since most of the physical checks can't actually come into things like Hydreigon, Goodra or Kingdra, so it is important to keep that in mind when teambuilding.

Also, I have been a little hesitant to add Pokemon that are not listed on the Viability Ranking, such as the Barbaracle suggestion above. I'll talk to some mods later on to see what they think.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Erm, can Amoonguss be removed from Assault Vest users? If you're not using Spore on it I see no reason why you'd use it over Roserade apart from the slightly higher HP.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Erm, can Amoonguss be removed from Assault Vest users? If you're not using Spore on it I see no reason why you'd use it over Roserade apart from the slightly higher HP.
AV Amoongus was a niche answer to CM Diancie-Mega when it was in the tier, because with Regenerator it could switch in again and again, and with Clear Smog it could get rid of its boosts despite Magic Bounce. I guess it also probably worked as a niche answer to Serp, too, but considering that regular Amoongus countered Serp pretty solidly I can't really imagine what the hell you'd need the extra AV bulk for. Still, as neither of those are currently in the tier, I agree that it's overkill.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
AV Amoongus was a niche answer to CM Diancie-Mega when it was in the tier, because with Regenerator it could switch in again and again, and with Clear Smog it could get rid of its boosts despite Magic Bounce. I guess it also probably worked as a niche answer to Serp, too, but considering that regular Amoongus countered Serp pretty solidly I can't really imagine what the hell you'd need the extra AV bulk for. Still, as neither of those are currently in the tier, I agree that it's overkill.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CM Mega Diancie run Psyshock (it does in OU)? If so, running AV Amoonguss wouldn't help at all with that scenario.
Anyways, I'd also consider splitting up stealth rock users into offensive and defensive like you did with some of the other sections.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CM Mega Diancie run Psyshock (it does in OU)? If so, running AV Amoonguss wouldn't help at all with that scenario.
Anyways, I'd also consider splitting up stealth rock users into offensive and defensive like you did with some of the other sections.
Not usually. IIRC the most common set in UU was CM/Moonblast/Earth Power/Diamond Storm, or sometimes HP Fire. Diamond Storm 3HKO's Blissey even without a boost, while Psyshock isn't even a reliable 4HKO without at least one CM. Since Seismic Toss 3HKOs Diancie, it couldn't really afford the extra turn required to boost.

• 4 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 295-348 (41.3 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Mega Diancie Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 185-218 (25.9 - 30.5%) -- 2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
But it's moot anyhow, since Diancie is unlikely to return to the tier any time soon, and unless CM Florges gets WAY more popular, I don't really see many situations where AV Amoongus is actually going to be more useful than Spore + 3 attacks or double powder.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
AV Amoongus actually is an amazing, amazing pivot. I know the fact that you can't run Spore kind of steals some benefits, but the huge boost given to its Special Defense makes it capable to come into things it couldn't face before, sponging attacks like a god and then either saying in or switching out if the opposing mon is choice locked while gaining the Regenerator HP and sending out an appropriate counter.

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 172-204 (39.8 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 194-230 (44.9 - 53.2%) -- 31.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 110-133 (25.4 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 164-194 (37.9 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Specially Defensive Rose can't do any of this.

Last edited:

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
  • Stoutland for band, its best item by far
  • Exploud for specs, only good item
  • CurseLax for setup sweepers please, it's CroCune level good
Also, why is Hitmontop in physically defensive but not hazard removal? I'm not sure if it's viable at all tbh.

This was brought up last thread, but a trappers / Pursuit users section would be great.

Why isn't whimsicott under both physical and dragon checks? Is Fire Blast and Iron tail on Hydreigon are enough to deter it from this role? It still checks Hydreigon very well among other special dragons like Ampharos, Sceptile, Kingdra, switches on both special mence's draco and hydro pump and outspeeds from there, can encore non choiced Dragalge into draco.

I'd like to thank Key for lending me the responsibility of running this thread, which was originally posted by him, because he didn't have enough time to keep it going.

The compendium was a little bit outdated, but I already fixed that taking into account the suggestions posted on the original thread (obviously not all, but the ones that were viable). Here is the list:

• Added Seismitoed to Water Check, Fire Check, Volt Switch-In, Stealth Rock and Physically Defensive Mon.
  • Added Gligar to mixed wall.
  • Added Kyurem to phazers.
  • Added Heracross to wallbreakers, Choice Band, Choice Scarf and Swords Dance users.
  • Added Salamence to Hazard Control, Choice Scarf users, Fighting checks and Physical Walls.
  • Added Forretress to Dedicated Leads (Custap release makes it fit) and Toxic Spikes users.
  • Added Heliolisk to Volt Switch users and Water checks.
  • Added Snorlax to Fire checks.
  • Added Slowking to Water, Fire and Fighting checks.
  • Added Pangoro to Choice Band users and Dark/Knock Off switchins.
  • Added Tyrantrum to Fire checks, Flying checks, Wallbreakers and Choice Band users.
  • Added Dragalge to Special Walls and Water checks.
  • Created a Dragon Dance section.

I will continue updating this list as I remember what else I had in mind. If you have any other suggestions, just post here and I will determine if they are viable enough to be listed.

Thanks to all!
This is just a question but why isn't cloyster under toxic spike setter? it might not be the most thought of one but it is very reliable imo

Can you add a section for trappers, such as pursuit-trappers and ability trappers, they are still pretty significant in this meta if I am correct

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Alright, just added a Trappers section. Not including all Pursuit users because most of them suck at it. Things like scarf Heracross may actually be good with it but only on certain scenarios when one is desperate and just tries to fit Pursuit on whatever, so no.

About splitting the Stealth Rock section into offensive and defensive, I don't think it's necessary. Most of them can go both ways with just a nature and EV spread adjustment, while some can be considered both at the same time (SD Gligar or max attack Rhyperior). Just decide which Pokemon fits your team better as a rocker and done.

Last edited:
Umm for trappers, Shadow Tag is banned in UU, so no Gothorita or Wobbuffet. However Dugtrio who is pretty much the most common trapper in UU atm with Arena Trap needs to get put in there.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think Registeel deserves an add to Stealth Rock, being able to eat dragon hits and switch into fairies as well as special dragon checks. Carbink as well as a suicide trick room Stealth Rocker. Used it a few times since diancie is gone, always gets up rocks lol.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Added both Registeel and Carbink.

Also, I created a downloadable PDF version of this compendium for the people like me who don't have internet in all places and would like to have a clean copy on their smartphones or tablets (screenshots suck)

Steps to get the PDF:
  1. Click on this link (Skydrive file): http://1drv.ms/19CWODO
  2. On the upper left corner should be a Download button, click it
  3. Check for the file on your downloads folder and put it on your phone (I'm not sure how this can be done on Android or Windows phone, but for iOS, what works for me is to e-mail the PDF file to yourself from your computer, then go to the Mail application on your iPhone / iPad and open the PDF file with iBooks)
  4. Enjoy

Hope this is useful :]

I'd like to see Durant added to Band Users. Hustle might have an accuracy drop, but the thing is still brutal.

Also, Physical walls. It's got decent defenses and not at all bad typing, being immune to Toxic and being able to set up in the face of non-fire types.

Um, I don't know if I'm doing this right, but maybe Glalie should be in Spikers? It can't come in repeatedly like Roserade and such, but its Refridgerate-boosted STAB hurts a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)