SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Not sure if this adds to the Is The Pokedex Written By A Kid debate but this guy in Devon in ORAS goes on a rant about Mega Rayquaza, I'm pretty sure he implies the entries are by researchers.

Not sure if this adds to the Is The Pokedex Written By A Kid debate but this guy in Devon in ORAS goes on a rant about Mega Rayquaza, I'm pretty sure he implies the entries are by researchers.

*heavy sigh* Well that just raises more questions than it answers.

I guess my new working theory is that the Pokedex is a very early stage wikipedia where anyone can edit or say anything as fact without sources or references, so some entries can be factual but most are based on assumptions, rumors, and myths. And others are just friggen loopy.

Or like tumblr right now. The Pokedex is really PokeTumblr.

I liked the "edited by kids" idea because I had this headcanon of every 10-year-old child in Pokemon is sent out into the world to take observations on the wildlife and tame animals as this bizarre form of finishing school. Like, to prepare young adults for dealing with monster attacks on a regular basis (Don't go in the tall grass!) every child is expected to make this journey at some point in there lives. Gym Leaders are more or less staged exams to test their development, with passing allowing for "licenses" for surfing, flying, mountain climbing, and logging/topiary. Upon finishing the region's league you are considered a "graduate" and can then settle on a career of your choice (which also somehow limits you pokemon choice, like Larry the Birdboy and his amazing four pidgey and one spearow). Pokemon battles are encourage for both sport and learning development, because there are always wild pokemon attacks outside the town boarders. So the Pokedex is like the trainer's nature observation log, and that's why it only fills in once you catch a pokemon (and is why it's has so many entries that are just coo coo for cocopuffs).

Yeah, it's just headcanon and it has a LOT of holes and conflicts with actual canon...

I tend to agree with the Anime over the Dex for Sizes/Weights because the dex is just sometimes totally random with how height is interpreted. Dex says Ursaring is "only" 5'11 (Roughly the same height as most people), in the Anime it's always twice or more the size of the protagonists whenever it pops up. Unless the protagonists are utter midgets, there is no way the height difference can be explained into the dex :/
This would imply that the makers of the anime pay attention to the height and weight section in the Pokédex when most of us, the gigantic nerds, don't. Hell, it blew my mind when I discovered that I am both taller and heavier than a Charizard. A Charizard.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This would imply that the makers of the anime pay attention to the height and weight section in the Pokédex when most of us, the gigantic nerds, don't. Hell, it blew my mind when I discovered that I am both taller and heavier than a Charizard. A Charizard.
I have to think GameFreak may have based things like height and weight on real word animal counterparts or the closest they can come to one. Like I can imagine them basing Charizard's off a Komodo Dragon or a similar big lizard. Ursaring's could have been based off a normal Brown Bear.

Personally I too prefer how the anime depicts the Pokemon size, even though I'm sometimes surprised by some:

I never knew Swellow and Torkoal was that small, or Heracross was that big!

I have to think GameFreak may have based things like height and weight on real word animal counterparts or the closest they can come to one. Like I can imagine them basing Charizard's off a Komodo Dragon or a similar big lizard. Ursaring's could have been based off a normal Brown Bear.

Personally I too prefer how the anime depicts the Pokemon size, even though I'm sometimes surprised by some:

Noctowl and glalie are shorter than heracross o.o

Ash's Heracross is just that big, but we all know his secret...
HE'S JUICED!

It's more apparent with Conway's Heracross, which is much smaller:

He's barely bigger than Ash's Buizel.

Actually, the anime has a lot of size variance. Like Ash's Noctowl is smaller than most other Noctowl (and shiny too of course)

Especially when you get into things like Primal Groudon, the heaviest pokemon in the games to date, weighs less than a metric ton and wialord, the world's largest pokemon, if put into the real world is so light that it would float... in air.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So I just realized some canon problem with the Battle Maison being in ORAS. Since ORAS is still in its place in the timeline that means it and the events of XY take place more than 10 years apart... YET the Battle Maison is still run by the same Battle Chatelaine!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I just realized some canon problem with the Battle Maison being in ORAS. Since ORAS is still in its place in the timeline that means it and the events of XY take place more than 10 years apart... YET the Battle Maison is still run by the same Battle Chatelaine!
Pretty sure it was explained that they were visitng or something. Plus there's no reason why they can't have their same jobs after 10 years.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Pretty sure it was explained that they were visitng or something. Plus there's no reason why they can't have their same jobs after 10 years.
But they don't look any different! And while you can make an argument that Dana and Morgan might not look any different since they're the two eldest, Nita and Evelyn still look like teenagers. So between 10 years they haven't aged, at least physically.

They're the Chatelaines of OR/AS' little corner of the Pokemon multiverse, not the exact same ones of X/Y's corner. Can't you tell?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
@stage_7 :
Well that's a background cameo/easter egg character they like to throw in the movies. :P The Battle Chatelaines are important NPCs being bosses.

I bring the age thing up here and for the Pokemon World Tournament because if Gen II cared enough to age the younger Kanto Gym Leaders and BW2 cared enough to age Cheren and Bianca why isn't any other kid/teenage character effected by age?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
@stage_7 :
Well that's a background cameo/easter egg character they like to throw in the movies. :P The Battle Chatelaines are important NPCs being bosses.

I bring the age thing up here and for the Pokemon World Tournament because if Gen II cared enough to age the younger Kanto Gym Leaders and BW2 cared enough to age Cheren and Bianca why isn't any other kid/teenage character effected by age?
You're overthinking this; they're probably in their 20s or something so they wouldn't visibly age after 10 years. Also lol at them being important.

@stage_7 :

They only cared to age some of the characters in these because they were meant to be 'direct' sequels of the preceding games. 3 years have passed since the events of Red/Green(Blue) in G/S/C, which is often referenced in those games, and 2 years since the events of Black/White in Black2/White2. (getting N's dragon in the latter games and having the memory link to allow a few references and even Bianca/Cheren's B/W teams) Outside of that, few if any give 2 Muk.

Here's a new one, what's up with Psyduck and Golduck's names?

While Psyduck is okayish for a yellow duck with a headache and weak psychic power, in comparison to Golduck it makes no sense. Golduck is a blue kappa-like duck with a psychic-looking jewel on its brow, while Psyduck is the golden-colored duck.

And this isn't a translation mix-up, in Japanese Golduck is still Golduck and Psyduck is Koduck (meaning child-duck). Also, neither of them are psychic types (but learn a tiny amount of psychic attacks)!
upload_2015-3-10_15-6-13.png

Hey buddy, I'm as confused as you.

stage7_4 Psyduck and Golduck's webbed feet, claws, and lack of inability to fly are a reference to the platypus, as stated by Bulbapedia. This is an example of convergent evolution, as it only resembles a duck. As such, it's not even a bird.

stage7_4 Psyduck and Golduck's webbed feet, claws, and lack of inability to fly are a reference to the platypus, as stated by Bulbapedia. This is an example of convergent evolution, as it only resembles a duck. As such, it's not even a bird.
That's an interesting factoid but doesn't answer my question.

I'm referring to why the blue one with the jewel is "Golduck" and the yellow/gold one is "Psyduck"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)