(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The powercreep really annoys me more than anything. I really liked the XY competitive scene, but ORAS just seems meh to me. I can't talk much about the new VGC format as I haven't played a lot of VGC 2015, but the singles metagames just seems less enjoyable than BW and XY were. It seems as if there is always one thing that will 6-0 your team with very little effort, the ORAS megas are just so different that it's really hard to build a solid team, bedrill, bunny and sceptile are so fast it is extremely hard to play around them without a scarfer. Mega slowbro is so bulky it is very hard for fast offence to handle it. Charizard X, gyara and altars is just too dangerous setup sweepers and lastly mega zard Y and mega metagame just hits too hard. Well atleast I am now able to spend my time here at OI instead ^^

I actually am fine with the pokedex, it is completely completeable with gen only gen 6 and while it takes time and dedication it is not too unfair. I also think the shiny charm is a respectable reward, it's not meant to be easily optained, it's supposed to be extraordinary.

Kurona :
Certificate Lacks Display: *sigh* Really? They made a certificate celebrating that Pokemon coming over through the generations yet didn't think it would be neat to use its Gen III sprite? Actually, what would have been really cool if they did a transition thing, like showed its Gen III, IV, and V sprite to show how many changes it went through to get to this game. Though at least the border is decorated with Gen III overworld sprites. Actually, another neat thing they could have done was made the certificate look like the Gen III Diploma:

(Obviously they would have changed the text. Also they could have added the Pokemon's Gen III sprite on the top right)
No no; they do have a Gen 3 sprite - it's really cool too - what I'm saying is that if it's a Pokémon transferred from Gen 3 that's since evolved into a Gen 4 evolution - or in Eevee's case, Sylveon as well - there's no sprite. ie showing a Ruby-generated Dusclops will get a Dusclops sprite on the certificate, but should you show the same Dusclops now evolved into a Dusknoir, there'll be no sprite because Dusknoir didn't exist in Gen 3.

Random Passerby :
Flip Off: I never said to bring back Voltorb Flip, I was just saying if the brought the gambling games back they'd probably remove the betting part and replace it with Voltorb Flip's method of rewarding (which I said I hated). If I recall, this started way back in Europe's version of Gen I since it had a law forbidding gambling in games meant for minors so the Game Corner was nerfed so all they needed to do was examine the slot machine to get a few measly coins (good luck saving up that way). Come Gen IV, Pokemon Company felt bad their games kept getting nerfed so created Voltorb Flip for them. Fine, sort of solves the problem by providing them a game they could get a lot of coins with but they risk losing it all if they make one mistake. But at least they aren't getting measly coin amounts... AND then Pokemon decided for HGSS that ALL regions should have Voltorb Flip instead of the Game Corner... WHY? Okay, I'm sure there were a few parents upset to know Pokemon had gambling elements but the gambling wasn't the focus of the game so it wasn't such a big deal (as I brought up the parents should teach their kids that they shouldn't gamble if they don't like it that much). But nope, Voltorb Flip for all and, what a surprise, come Gen V the Game Corner was gone and come ORAS they pretty much confirm they have no intention on bringing it back. *sigh*
If they do try to bring back Game Corner, the gambling part will be gone. You don't bet any coins and instead they'll probably use the "the more you play the more coins you get but one wrong mistake means you lose it all" mechanic like Voltorb Flip. Also, as much as you hate it, they'd also probably bring back Voltorb Flip (they have the code for it and I'm sure some people liked it. Though I didn't really get the hang of it myself when I played it on my cousin's SoulSilver) but probably shove it in a corner somewhere. It wouldn't be the same and I'd imagine making coins would take longer then it usually did (oh, and you won't be able to buy coins, meaning you HAVE to play the games to get the coins to buy the rewards you want (and no doubt some would probably be TMs)).
Hmm, now thinking about it, maybe instead of a Game Corner they should do an Arcade-type place. Pokemon have plenty of mini-games they can re-use or recreate popular genres of arcade games Pokemon-style. It'll be at least better then having nothing.
Final thought, I wonder how this will effect Maylene's story in the Gen IV remakes. If you don't recall, Maylene's father is a gambling addict who you see in Game Corner.
Actually, I'm pretty sure Japan retained the slot machines in HG/SS. It matters little these days since TM's are infinite use and they'd really be about the only worthwhile reward. Pokemon also has the three mini-games in Pokemon Amie now, albeit they get repetitive real fast, so... we technically do have something.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
WideTomato :
Yeah, though the question is what to do about the power creep? Mega Evolutions are meant to be overpowered (thus the Mega) though that pretty much means you'll need to counter their Mega with your Mega and if your Mega isn't able to knock out or significantly damage them you're going to have many of your other Pokemon knocked out before knocking it out, if you can.

Kurona :
Oh, now I see. Hmm, that's an interesting idea, recreating a Gen III sprite for Magnezone, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Electivire, Magmortar, Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon, Porygon-Z, Togekiss, Ambipom, Yanmega, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Gliscor, Weavile, Mamoswine, Gallade, Probopass, Roserade, Dusnkoir, & Froslass (wow, never realized how many evolutions that Gen IV introduced (and that's not counting the baby Pokemon)). would have been a neat throwback to older players. Though then again if they didn't want to recreate Gen III sprites for those Pokemon they could have used their pre-evolution that did exist in Gen III.

Detective Barricade :
Oh, well that's a bit Tauros mulch. And yeah, we do have the Pokemon-Amie mini-games but, as you said, those get repetitive.

Will we ever get the ability to save on SD cards or have multiple save files or ever be able to pass the DS around without having to buy another copy of the game? Kinda inconvenient if you're Shiny hunting/IV breeding and your little sibling wants to play.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Will we ever get the ability to save on SD cards or have multiple save files or ever be able to pass the DS around without having to buy another copy of the game? Kinda inconvenient if you're Shiny hunting/IV breeding and your little sibling wants to play.
Yeah, before they had an excuse but now that the 3DS can use SD cards and they're providing virtual copies of the game there's no excuse not to give us multiple saves. I can understand why they're afraid to do so, but in the long run I can see it helping them. It'll add playability to the game as people will be able to experiment. Also you'll still have version exclusives so you'll still need to trade with people who have the other version. Actually, MAYBE they can even make it so that each file has access to a selection of its own exclusives, but that's getting ahead of myself. They could also use it as an excuse to actually making the paired games have more things exclusive to them now that a single game can have multiple saves.

Last edited:
To answer the multiple save files question, no. It's very clear by now Game Freak doesn't want to, or it would've been implemented easily in the gen 4/5 titles. It's annoying, especially if you want to play through the region again without having to trade everything over to another game so you don't lose it, but that's how it's probably going to be until the franchise finally dies. (hopefully not for a long, long time)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah, the main reason why we can't have multiple saves per cartridge is probably fiscal.
- Two siblings each wanting a Pokémon adventure? Gotta buy them one game each.
- You've got your own game, but want to try a new adventure? Oh, but you can't start over unless you DELETE EVERYTHING YOU'VE DONE. But if you buy another game, on the other hand...
- Trading starters with a friend, but between you, you can only get two of them? Well, one of you can restart, or you can buy another game... (less valid since the introduction of the GTS).

Single-file cartridges: Because why let players do that, when they're perfectly willing to buy the same game again just to start over?

Yeah, the main reason why we can't have multiple saves per cartridge is probably fiscal.
- You've got your own game, but want to try a new adventure? Oh, but you can't start over unless you DELETE EVERYTHING YOU'VE DONE. But if you buy another game, on the other hand...
- Trading starters with a friend, but between you, you can only get two of them? Well, one of you can restart, or you can buy another game... (less valid since the introduction of the GTS).

Single-file cartridges: Because why let players do that, when they're perfectly willing to buy the same game again just to start over?
Nintendo keeps on thinking everyone has one of Doraemon's pockets filled with cash. Same with freaking region blocks -_- Why make games in the US compatible with PAL systems when you could buy another game system and cartridge?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

I think we know why they have single save copies, it doesn't stop it from being annoying.

Though honestly I don't really think it would effect sales that much. Okay, siblings may share a game, but the siblings can't play the game at the same time (and I would think siblings would agree to buy different versions). Also they can make it so that you can't trade Pokemon between files (though it would be neat for there to be a New Game Plus feature).
Also if I really want to start a new adventure I'd probably buy a pre-owned copy. Or heck, maybe even emulate it (if you own a physical copy of the game). And though I'm not sure if there are any for the 3DS, in the past there have been third party devices that let you create multiple saves. You're ending up giving money to other people then GameFreak/Nintendo and I don't think that's what they want.

But as Detective Barricade said, Nintendo and by extension Game Freak are too stubborn when it comes to changing things.

I think we know why they have single save copies, it doesn't stop it from being annoying.

Though honestly I don't really think it would effect sales that much. Okay, siblings may share a game, but the siblings can't play the game at the same time (and I would think siblings would agree to buy different versions). Also they can make it so that you can't trade Pokemon between files (though it would be neat for there to be a New Game Plus feature).
Also if I really want to start a new adventure I'd probably buy a pre-owned copy. Or heck, maybe even emulate it (if you own a physical copy of the game). And though I'm not sure if there are any for the 3DS, in the past there have been third party devices that let you create multiple saves. You're ending up giving money to other people then GameFreak/Nintendo and I don't think that's what they want.

But as Detective Barricade said, Nintendo and by extension Game Freak are too stubborn when it comes to changing things.
...Ever play any Legend of Zelda game? Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon? Any Super Mario Bros game recently? All of them have at least a couple save slots. Point is, it's not so much Nintendo as it is Game Freak that doesn't want more than one save file.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
...Ever play any Legend of Zelda game? Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon? Any Super Mario Bros game recently? All of them have at least a couple save slots. Point is, it's not so much Nintendo as it is Game Freak that doesn't want more than one save file.
True, honestly Nintendo likes to standby the 3 save slot rule. Okay, so GameFreak is being stubborn about just one save file.

lucariomaster2 Oh my god that message is so infuriating, and caves seem to be particularly bad for it for whatever reason. Why couldn't it just make the desired Pokemon pop up every time? It's not like I'd be asking it to give me a 3+IV HA female Pokemon with a useful egg move right on the spot every single time, just I always have a chance to sneak up on the Pokemon I'm looking for... and those not in the grass not keep moving away.

Here's a very little thing that annoys me: in X and Y, when you trade a Pokémon, the Poké Ball animation shows a standard Poké Ball, no matter what the actual Poké Ball is. This was changed in ORAS, though.

Here's a very little thing that annoys me: in X and Y, when you trade a Pokémon, the Poké Ball animation shows a standard Poké Ball, no matter what the actual Poké Ball is. This was changed in ORAS, though.
I didn't even know I'd like that little feature until they introduced it in OR/AS, so can it really be considered something to complain about that X/Y doesn't have it? I imagine we'll all be grumbling that 'Z' has the Pokemon do a little dance like they do when receiving an event's Wonder Card when received* and OR/AS doesn't in that case...

*not saying that will actually happen, it's just an example.

I didn't even know I'd like that little feature until they introduced it in OR/AS, so can it really be considered something to complain about that X/Y doesn't have it? I imagine we'll all be grumbling that 'Z' has the Pokemon do a little dance like they do when receiving an event's Wonder Card when received* and OR/AS doesn't in that case...

*not saying that will actually happen, it's just an example.
I did say "very little".

Starting with Torchic, I already figured early game that the animation on Double Kick looks utterly disgusting. Possibly more moves have this animation too, I just don't know them from the top of my head.

Also, that 'thing' that's picking you up when you use Fly in the overworld looks like trash. Even Steven fucking had that pile of trash in a FREAKING CINEMATIC. Wish you were actually being picked up by the mon that uses Fly. I'd rather have the sprite of the mon show up your trainer holds his Poké Ball in the air (just like in R/S/E or HG/SS), than this. "Go hard or go home."

A thing that annoys me is the pentagon rule for all official competitions, and even ORAS ranked battle spot. I can see why they had it in XY VGC, which actually limited the use to legit pokemon, but with pokehex and powersaves i really don't see any point in that rule, it just makes pokemon from previous generations feel less worthy.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK so I've gone back to playing rotation battles at the Maison for the first time in ages, and I really hate that the move selector goes back to the first move on the next turn if you rotate to another Pokemon. For example, if you rotate and use your Pokemon's second, third or fourth move, on the next turn the selector will be on the first move. This is super annoying because I'm used to [every other format] where it just remembers what you just used so you can just go on autopilot and mash A. I have a Reuniclus with Trick Room as its first move which I'll sometimes rotate in to hit something with Psychic, but I'll just end up erasing Trick Room the next turn if I wanted to use Psychic again. The same goes for my Steelix, I'll rotate in to Earthquake against a fire-based team, and end up using Heavy Slam (the first move) on the next turn, which obviously results in me tanking a fire move of some sort (good thing Mega Steelix is bulky AF).

The same thing happens when using Zoroark and the opponent hits you and breaks your Illusion, the selector just goes back to the first move. That guy is frail enough as it is, he really can't afford to be using the wrong move at any given time, lol... I think I just need to use the touch screen instead of buttons like an old man

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
A thing that annoys me is the pentagon rule for all official competitions, and even ORAS ranked battle spot. I can see why they had it in XY VGC, which actually limited the use to legit pokemon, but with pokehex and powersaves i really don't see any point in that rule, it just makes pokemon from previous generations feel less worthy.
I think that's also the point. There are a number of relevant moves from past gens that are incredibly hard to obtain and/or event exclusive. Things like Sheer Cold Suicune, ES Entei, Follow Me Magmar (im looking at you Sejun), Softboiled Clef, Eruption Heatran, etc that require you to really go far back which a lot of people won't have access to unless they hack it in anyways or just get some super outdated game. Since it's more likely that people will hack those mons in anyways, it's not the worst idea to make them illegal in the first place. Plus, I'm also quite certain that gamefreak's not a fan of RNGing and probably view it as a form of hacking and they don't think any competitively relevant mon (esp. legends) from the past gen is legit anyways.

Starting with Torchic, I already figured early game that the animation on Double Kick looks utterly disgusting. Possibly more moves have this animation too, I just don't know them from the top of my head.

Also, that 'thing' that's picking you up when you use Fly in the overworld looks like trash. Even Steven fucking had that pile of trash in a FREAKING CINEMATIC. Wish you were actually being picked up by the mon that uses Fly. I'd rather have the sprite of the mon show up your trainer holds his Poké Ball in the air (just like in R/S/E or HG/SS), than this. "Go hard or go home."
Nearly all multiple hit moves do this. Water Shuriken doesn't with Greninja at least, (it has an unique animation for it iirc) but I don't know if this hold true for Accelgor or Smeargle.

As for Fly, I haven't really used it much since getting the Eon Flute, though you don't instantly travel to where you want to go. Still wish the Lati@s didn't Mega Evolve to soar, as I like both regular Lati@s better than their mostly shared Mega Evolution forms.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And though XY and ORAS combined gives you access to most Pokemon, there are still some Pokemon you can't get with a pentagon internationally. At least in the US, we still haven't gotten an event for a Mew, Jirachi, Darkrai, Manaphy, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect. Of course Japan has made sure to release many of these Pokemon in various ways, though they themselves are missing Mew, Manaphy, Meloetta, and Genesect (and Arceus, though one is being given out for the next movie).

But as Jibaku pointed, the pentagon thing does help clear the way by getting rid of many Pokemon who over the years was released as an Event and got a special move out of it. Still, I do think by the end of Gen VI they should have planned a way for all nations to have had some way to get access to every single Pokemon. Heck, I'd argue ORAS could have done it, they could have made special Mirage Spots only accessible if you have a certain item given out by events.

FUN FACTS:
1. Mew hasn't been given out since 2010 as a HGSS event.
2. So far the only legal (pentagon) Jirachi is Shiny.
3. Though Manaphy isn't legal, Phione is! :P

As for Fly, I haven't really used it much since getting the Eon Flute, though you don't instantly travel to where you want to go. Still wish the Lati@s didn't Mega Evolve to soar, as I like both regular Lati@s better than their mostly shared Mega Evolution forms.
I use Fly when I just want to get to a city/route. Soaring is fun and all, though at this point it's become a novelty I only use to get to my daily Mirage Spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 8)