MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Option B is probably the better option, you shouldn't be punished for a smart buy beyond the initial "half projected retain price" and still prevents the possibility of a dynasty. I'm open to whatever though.

I'd root for option A with a $ amount being the only option. A percentage amount doesn't work if you are keeping someone who wasn't drafted or who was drafted for something like $1. Would take far too long. Something like $5 a year would pretty much force someone from being a keeper again. Trout is a world beater player but Stall would have to pay his huge salary to retain him plus a fee. Add that with $15 dollars extra after three years, and Trout kind of needs to be placed back into the player pool, because the money used to pay for Trout would give worse results than going after the 2nd best outfielder, and then using the extra money to compensate the difference by spending it on better players in other positions.

That make sense? I don't feel like if someone picked up an out of nowhere prospect who sets the world on fire that they should get to pay $0 for him for the next three years. There has to be some kind of incriminate added there. We can have an X Year Max in addition to the fine of whatever amount or have the fine be $5-$7 to have it naturally kill the desires to hold on to a player because they'd get too expensive. But I think we need to have a penalty for keeping someone obtained at no or low value because it's these guys who are going to ruin the competitive balances. The out of nowhere guys who go on to be career players. If Rusney Castillo goes for $5 in the draft and becomes the next Trout and someone just pays $10 for him for 3 years... that ends the competitive balance because now they have a Trout and are paying relatively nothing for him. Least in the other way, it penalizes you gradually so he either reaches a natural critical mass or tops out at what his value is.

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass and no one sees a problem. But I think we need that added amount every year just for long term stability.

In your "Castillo turned Trout" scenario, remember, the half of the projected value rule would control. So while an owner could every once in a blue moon potentially get a rising star for crazy value in the following seasons, Option A wouldn't really make much of a difference anyway if we didn't implement our rule for keeper costs. I think Option B is the better way to go

In your "Castillo turned Trout" scenario, remember, the half of the projected value rule would control. So while an owner could every once in a blue moon potentially get a rising star for crazy value in the following seasons, Option A wouldn't really make much of a difference anyway if we didn't implement our rule for keeper costs. I think Option B is the better way to go
Are we keeping the half the projected rule passed this year? I was under the impression that it was going to be a this year fix and go from there. If we're keeping that in place for every season, then I'm cool with just the 3 year limit before they have to be released in the draft.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rip Stroman you were gonna be god.

Rip my keepers too

Speaking of, let's lock in the keepers rules we clearly have a consensus on

between chelsea playing like shit and stroman dying it's been a rough start to 2015 for me sports wise
When I heard about Stroman I wanted to just give up on everything. With that coming in the wake of Yu being shut down and needing Tommy John, it's just a horrible season for so many pitchers, I guess. No Cliff Lee, No Darvish, No Stroman

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I liked option A

also if somebody could put me in a league w/ Del rio that would be cool :]
You're pretty late for only now wanting to be in the league. Right now we have 10 players, so we'd need two players to add anyone.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/112527582/10-best-moments-from-will-ferrells-10-team-extravaganza

For those of you who missed it, the stunts Will Ferrell did yesterday while playing in real Spring Training games was crazy entertaining. He played a variety of positions and actually did really well, albit for an actor. Fielded well, pitched better than 50 cent, and I mean he made contact with some real pitches.

I mean, nothing beats his minor league game where he debuted as "Rojo" Johnson...

but this came pretty close. Got some nice coverage on MLB games and was all for a good cause. Not to mention entertaining for fans and teams.

Last edited:

biggie

champ
Yu Darvish needs season-ending Tommy John surgery. Guess it's a good thing we didn't lock those keepers in yet, eh?

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fortunately I wasn't keeping him anyway, $41 is way too high a tag for that

edit: and i said lock in the rules, not the keepers themselves >_>

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also commish, you didn't adjust the draft time yet as discussed earlier in the thread. Right now it's still at 3:15 am my time...

biggie

champ
I've changed the draft time. Let's start working on our keeper lists. Been trying to find a list of all players and their projected value so I can input it into excel to keep track of. I have each player's 2014 draft value and the ending rosters already.

BiGGiE

I'm using Draft > Pre-Draft Values > Edit Player Values to get my list. It's the only place I've seen to get projected values for yahoo, but maybe they have a master list on the home fantasy baseball page I haven't seen. Also, I can give you my keepers at any time. My list is done, I'm just waiting to finalize because of injuries. If I can reserve the right to swap until the deadline, I can give them to you now. Or if you'd rather wait, then that's fine too.

^

Yahoo has its own projected values. It would make sense to use those.

I have my keepers pretty much finalized after much grueling. But yeah, also trying to avoid a last-minute injury.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'd still love to be able to trade keeper rights around (if nothing else trade one of my 3bs), but if its not to be rip. So official cost thing is whichever is higher, half of projected or last year's draft right

I set up a poll on keepers on our fantasy baseball page on Yahoo about keeper options. I kind of think that we should have this conversation ended before the draft, because it'll effect draft strategies. I urge you guys to vote on there and voice your opinions there so everything can be kept in one place and we don't have to search through this thread to find info.

In no means is the vote official, but I would still like everyone to do so. I also set up a second thread where I'd like people to put their Smogon names and their Yahoo team name just to make life less complicated for me when I want to contact people for trades. Or just to put the names to a face a user.

Also want to remind everyone that the draft is scheduled for NEXT SATURDAY, March 28th at 7:00pm EDT. Keepers are due no later than THIS WEDNESDAY AT 11:59PM PT on Yahoo (My Team > Choose Your Keeper Players) or you will get locked out. You can make changes to these until the deadline, so there is no reason to do them now. In addition, please make a list of your keeper players and post them on this thread or PM to BiGGiE ASAP after finalizing so he can start to get the cap hits down. Remember, you are allowed no more than 6 keepers, and will take a cap hit equal to half of the 2015 projected value OR the price that player was drafted in 2014. If your player has an odd number projection value like $9, it will count as $4.5 on your cap and not $5, but any decimal points in the final tabulation will be rounded. So if total of all your keepers values ends up at $90.5, your hit will be $91.

If you need information for projected values, it is Draft > Draft Analysis > Auction Draft tab. If you need to see what last years drafted value is, it's Draft > Last Season.

ADDITIONALLY: I'm not going to take any prisoners in this draft. If you feel like you are going to be late for the draft, have connection problems, will forget, or any other reason you think a computer might draft for you: I implore you to EDIT YOUR PRE-DRAFT rankings. This way, you have a team based on your mindset and based on who you want. If you want Mookie Betts and want to spend more on him, put his value at a higher amount. If you think Miguel Cabrera is done and don't want to waste $40 on him when you could use that cash other places, drop his value to something you're willing to live with. Have a feeling that a $1 pitcher is going to do good? Move him up to $2. All I'm saying is that if you're going to computer draft or not show up, change the computer to reflect your ideas.

Also... In my mocks I have found that Yahoo doesn't really update their injuries. I'm going to abuse these. I'm going to put Cliff Lee up for $1 if you don't edit him to be a $0, your computer is going to think he's a $9. Yu Darvish goes for $26. Stroman I'm sure goes for a few bucks. And I'll throw out ARod and a computer might bid on him and waste your roster spot and money. I have no qualms on doing this because I am ruthless and want to beat Stall. And I feel if you can't show up on time or put time into compensating for being late, then chances are you're going to not be an active member... and I gotta beat Stall.

You can do edit these values by going to Draft > Pre-Draft Values

I dunno. Not much else to really say. Any questions talk to Biggie. He's the man. I just want to get things on track.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
Question: say a guy like Goldschmidt fetched a hefty sum in auction, was dropped cause of injury and then picked up, what's his pricing like for the year? As he was technically drafted it's half his predicted value or his original auction value right?

Ps ButteredToast you aren't touching this ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)