SPL UU Mega-Thread

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Really unfortunate that Laurel lost the way he did, he had played so well throughout the match and the result was very harsh on him. But you've definitely proved you can play the tier well man, admirable how you've picked it up so quickly! Going to be a great match between you and fuga.

Thoughts on other matches:

Meru vs Sam - Sam played this one almost flawlessly, he used Rotom-C especially well to gain momentum whenever he needed it. That Aero set caught everyone off-guard, and it definitely proved its worth in the match! I think Meru misplayed by bringing in Mega Aggron into Zam when Florges might have done just fine, as after that point he had no one left to counter Aero. I guess he was hoping that Zam wasn't carrying Focus miss. Encore Zam, another cool set, made the game secure by locking Florges into Protect. ggs to both!

bugzy vs Jabba - Nice Helio bugzy n_n agree with Hikari that bugzy had a clear team advantage with Helio and also with Aero as Jabba wasn't carrying a Flying resist. He used Helio + Whimsi really well to keep the momentum on his side initially while simultaneously wearing down Jabba's team. Eventually Jabba's only hope was that Suicune wasn't carrying Ice Beam, which unfortunately for him it was.

Dunk vs Hikari - Props to Hikari for bringing a playstyle that no one has used so far in full stall, and it worked big time as Dunk simply had no way to break through. Sub CM Cune looked a threat initially until Hikari revealed Haze Cruel which has been rising in popularity. Cune was just going to get stalled out at this point if it carried on as Hikari could continuously replenish Tentacruel's health with Wish and Heal Bell. Aero revealed EQ which took Lucario out of the game, residual damage was slowly wearing Dunk's team down and so his last remaining hope was Reuniclus. If it was a CM set Dunk might have had a shot, but it was revealed to be an offensive Trick Room set which was never going to sweep. In the end it was taken out by Mirror Coat Mola, which was a great play! I also loved the use of Mega Aero on stall, as it checks pretty much all of offense while being useful against opposing defensive teams.

radiant vs Jey - Another great game. The key play here was Luke boosting up on a sleeping Cune which allowed Jey to break through it and sweep with Cress. Reminded me of a similar play made by Sam a couple of weeks ago in his game against Limitless, where he brought in Mega Bee to SD up against a sleeping Cune. So Jey ended up sweeping with a CM Moonlight Cress, an uncommon set but one which proved effective here. It's a risky one to run seeing that Toxic destroys it completely, and radiant even mentioned that he considered using Toxic on Forry prior to the match. But I think Jey was packing a cleric in Vappy, so looks like it was a clever move by him.

Great matchups this week, looking forward to them!

(Falcons) Bugzinator vs Lowgock (Class)

(Wolves) radianthero156 vs Meru (Ruiners)

(Sharks) Laurel vs Omfuga (Tigers)

(Raiders) JeyTheGrey vs Sam (BIGS)

Remaining games of last week

[SHRK] Laurel vs. Thatsjustpeachy [TGRS]

Laurel started really aggressive launching powerful megahorns that can one/two hit ko everything peachy had. The game slowed down when both Suicune started to collide. Thankfully peachy revealed roar and saved us watching a Suicune vs Suicune war. Laurel missed a Megahorn against Whimsicott at turn 26 which allowed peachy to set the tailwind once again later in the game and won with PZ. At that point Laurel's only hope was to spam roost with Crobat and KO Whimsicott during the last turn of tailwind but Whimsicott revealed iron ball (since even with 0 IVs, - speed nature it hits 426 under tailwind) u-turn. There was no way for him to come back.

[BIGS] atomicllamas vs. Emvee [RAID]

In this game both sides brought really standart looking (Aero-M/Floges-Aromatisse/Empoleon/Heracross) boring balanced teams. I guess this is what happens when you get subbed in last day. Shit started to go down when Emvee brought Hera in against Empoleon who tried to toxic Cress. That forced llamas to sack something each time Hera came in against anything slower. Mega Aerodactly once again proved that it is a giant threat with Hone Claws and put in work after Emvee lost Empoleon. The combination of Hippo + Empoleon on llamas' side blocked a late game ScarfMence sweep and lead him to victory after 96 turns.

[CRYO] DestinyUnknown vs. IronBullet93 [SCTR]

IB brought the infamous hazard control core between Nidoqueen and Blastoise and some pokemon you don't see very often such as Cobalion and Honchkrow. DU also had a similar team. Another common ground/water core (Gligar Vaporeon) and some underrated threats (Kyurem and Bandape). Roar Blastoise weakened Vaporeon early game by not letting Vapo receive its own wish in the cost of getting worn down which was crucial because SubRoost LO Kyurem beacome a big threat since IB's rotom was offensive. In the end both Kyurem and Ape prooved that they still got it by getting 3 kills each.

Next weeks schedule

* JabbaTheGriffin vs IronBullet93

* reachzero vs Laurel

* Tom Bus vs bugzinator

* JeyTheGrey vs Hikari

* atomicllamas vs DestinyUnknown

Not gonna comment on these since i don't know how they play, what playstyles they like or do they bring any ground resists unlike Omfuga.

I am personally looking forward to first match most since Ironbullet93 is the most consistent player imo but i feel like his teams are getting predictable since he brought 4 Krookodile, 4 Tentacruel, 4 Aerodactly and 6 Whimsicott in seven weeks.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Tom Bus vs Bugzinator
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-38762

Pretty interesting game seeing mons like Doublade and Bdrum Chesnaught. I feel Bugzinator might have set up a bit too early with Chesnaught as his main way of dealing with Suicune was either that or Assault Vest Slowking, which would lose to last mon Suicune due to burn unless a crit. Reuniclus/Suicune definitely were threats to his team and even though it seemed like Bugzy had the advantage as he kept forcing Suicune out with Grass Knots + Dtails + had full hazards, it was really only a matter of time before Tom Bus could win with either Reuniclus or Suicune. Despite the Chesnaught play, I feel Bugzy played pretty well making some nice doubles to put pressure on Tom Bus' team. Man I hate T-wave Cm Reu. GG guys and thank you to everyone who keeps this thread active. :]

Ah yt.com/userpokeaim coming through

Main thinking behind the chesnaught play was to try and get the drum off before he mega evolved sceptile to become faster which would have made my chesnaught sweep pretty impossible, probably wasn't the most optimal move to make and didn't really pay off when it turned out his doublade was iron head > gyro ball, but was in a tight spot with the match up really so felt like I had to take some risks to make anything happen. Didn't know much about Tom going into the battle but his team was pretty solid and he played well for the win, gg man.

Edit: +6 252 Atk Overgrow Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 160-189 (50.1 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - Shoulda been overgrow :((

Last two games look intersting

JeyTheGrey vs Hikari - Expecting a good game here, interested to see if Jey will bring anything fancy now that his team's out of it and there's less pressure. Think Hikari will just edge through, prefers playing in uu and has a little more to play here for since his team is tryna clinch playoffs.

atomicllamas vs DestinyUnknown - Tested a bit with atomicllamas last night and he's looking pretty good but think dunk's experience will take him through in the end, should be fun.

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-39381

My replay vs reach, was a good game! Felt wonderful to pull off Shuca Empoleon, it's a great way to beat stuff like Mega Aero and DD Mence who rely on Earthquake to hit Emp. After that I thought I had set myself up really well for a Hera sweep late-game, but reach's speedy Suicune had other ideas. I had 148 EVs which I thought would be enough for most Cune, so it really caught me off-guard lol. reachzero how much speed did you have on that thing? :O

Some cool matches this week, Jabba vs Jey and Dunk vs Bugzy will be fun. And looking forward to seeing McM in UU n_n

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I see the error of my ways and thank you for pointing it out. I think the flaw on my part comes from only running 261 with either of those, to speed creep things getting the drop on Modest Chandelure.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Cool tier! Much better than when I tried it around Slam's time.

I had fun playing radian and building/preparing for the game (I had gotten into it a lil' bit two or three weeks ago after I got the idea to try a HO with Froslass and Archeops). I was running Taunt Archeops with Stone Edge since the time I had built the team but I got the idea to run Heat Wave on the day of my game since it heavily damages Mega-Aggron (which was a bitch to deal with for my team), on top of knocking out Forretress and doing more than 80/85 on Cobalion (another problematic Pokemons to deal with). I got the idea to run Rock Tomb as my rock move (and forego Taunt as I assumed my opponent would expect it anyway) for the speed drop, which is incredibly good for my team where I need to keep the momentum in my favor (and thus allowing me to send Abomasnow on a slowed down Pokemon if need be. It still 2KO's Mega-Aero/Crobat easily of course.

Too bad our game couldn't be "optimal" (read choke and hax-free), but I'll take it eheh. Mega Sharpedo did a ton of work, and it always did in every games I've played with that team, it's incredible!

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
It's playoffs time!

(BIGS) Sam vs Hikari (Classiest)

(Ruiners) reachzero vs bugzinator (Falcons)

Sam vs Hikari, battle of the UUTLs, a mouth-watering clash. Sam has been really consistent all season and proved to be one of the best players in the tier, while Hikari didn't play much UU but earned a couple of great wins late on. It's an incredibly tough pick but I'm going to go with Sam on gut feeling. He's made some excellent, innovative teams this season and his general play has been hugely impressive.

reach vs bugzy is an interesting matchup. reach is such an experienced and respected player while bugzy has emerged as a strong force this season and has shown that he can compete with the top dogs. I'm going to go with reach here though just because he can draw on his wealth of experience and skill in such high pressure games. Not writing off bugzy, he definitely has the capability to pull it off. Just watch out for speedy Suicunes n_n

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Gonna share my feelings now that SPL is (kind of) over. I had to learn the tier practically from zero, and I think I overall performed well despite my record (the atomicllamas game :[ )

I didn't like the tier nearly as much as I liked BW UU however, as I couldn't shake the feeling there was something "wrong" about the metagame. Mainly, when I finished building many of my teams, I thought 'this looks pretty good' just to a second later think 'but what if my opponent brings Pidgeot?' and me, being a perfectionist, had to go back to the drawing board to try and fix that. And it happened countless times because there are like 2 things that don't get bs'd by the bird. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that the bird haunted my dreams (only to then having like 0 usage on Spl)

Which brings me to my second point, the fact that it feels (is?) like using Aerodactyl is a must. The tier is full of quick megas that are almost impossible to check, but that are all either stopped or revenged by Aerodactyl. Of course, Aero is a great pokemon besides that, but its usage wouldn't be as high if it weren't for things like Pidgeot or Beedrill. In turn, this makes teambuilding restricted unless you're willing to risk the matchup (despite many original teams being used, many, many teams were weak to stuff like Pidgeot, as we can see), and it's all just a vicious circle to me. So yeah this is all debatable, but it's what makes me not like the tier too much. It can be argued that things lile BW Chandelure were really difficult to stop, but the difference here is the speed (which made Chandelure easy to check) , and the fact that it didn't create nearly as much of a matchup advantage/disadvantage as what I mentioned here.

Just some food for thought.

Shoutout to King UU for helping me with the tier, you worked really hard and I was happy to see you win in week 9

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
With SPL just about done I give you the final uu battle: Hikari vs. reachzero

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-43855

Both running balance teams. Hikari sporting Heliolisk, the little lizard who has been rising in popularity while reachzero had some cool pokemon such as P2 (rising cause of Mence) as well as Jellicent. Pretty key turn was when Hikari caught Jellicent on the switchin with EQ, 2Hk0ing it and basically getting rid of the mon that was stopping Hikari form spamming HJK (even though he is a wuss and didn't do it anyway cause he didn't wanna miss :J). I think this battle is a perfect example of how strong of a threat Life Orb Mienshao is and that it does compete with its main set, choice scarf. Nice Game guys and grats on winning mr. tier leader.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)