Enter the Dragon Type - HA Amaura as Entry Prize [END]

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It doesn't work that way. If you use Sky Drop on Darkrai then it will be invulnerable, almost like Darkrai has used Fly or Dive, so you can't hit it with Machamp while it's in that state. If you want to do that why not just use Fake Out on the Darkrai and have your partner kill it?
According to Bulbapedia, No Guard actually lets you hit Pokemon that are using Fly, Dive, etc.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/No_Guard_(Ability)

I'm inclined to enter this one to use that Latias and Diancie I spent so much time soft resetting for.(Also, I guess Soul dew is still banned? Bulbapedia mentioned it was in official tournaments so I'm gonna assume that's the case here too.) I know mega Rayquay would be the obvious choice for a mandatory dragon, but I didn't feel like sitting through all those cutscenes so it's very likely that mine has horrible IVs. Same goes for my Kyogre and Deoxys. Otherwise, though, I haven't caught most of my remaining wild legendaries so I should try to see which ones would be useful here in the remaining slots. I'm kinda consiering Dialga for coverage reasons. I haven't caught mine yet and I have a master ball lying around so resetting for a good one should be somewhat viable as long as I get lucky with Synchronize.

I can't wait to spam Mega Diancie's Moonblast. I absolutely love Mega Diancie, and this tournament looks like the perfect environment to use her. Does anyone know a good potential moveset for this meta or should I just ape the doubles set?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
I can't wait to spam Mega Diancie's Moonblast. I absolutely love Mega Diancie, and this tournament looks like the perfect environment to use her. Does anyone know a good potential moveset for this meta or should I just ape the doubles set?
tbh Moonblast/Earth Power/Diamond Storm/Protect works absolutely fine. I'm running her with both redirection and Wide Guard so that she can shine without needing to worry much about Bullet Punch or Precipice Blades. Not always necessary but do make sure you have an answer to Tailwind and Trick Room, otherwise Diancie has a habit of just dying. Very frail but very powerful.

Actually, forget about Latias. I just looked over her movepool and can't think of anything she could contribute to that isn't already done by Dialga. I guess Healing wish support but that seems like a waste in 4 v 4 doubles. I'm gonna stick with Diancie and Dialga, though, cause I like those two and I wanna make it work real bad. (And that's the 2 ubers slots taken care of.)

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tbh Moonblast/Earth Power/Diamond Storm/Protect works absolutely fine. I'm running her with both redirection and Wide Guard so that she can shine without needing to worry much about Bullet Punch or Precipice Blades. Not always necessary but do make sure you have an answer to Tailwind and Trick Room, otherwise Diancie has a habit of just dying. Very frail but very powerful.
I'm actually thinking about Mega Daincie myself, but for more than just "reflect that Dark Void": as weird as it sounds, I'm tempted to use Trick Room over Diamond Storm. My reason is simple: to screw over other Trick Room teams :P

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
I'm actually thinking about Mega Daincie myself, but for more than just "reflect that Dark Void": as weird as it sounds, I'm tempted to use Trick Room over Diamond Storm. My reason is simple: to screw over other Trick Room teams :P
This is an interesting idea but I feel like Diancie really needs Diamond Storm as the spread damage is really useful, it has a decent chance to put Groudon into KO range of Earth Power while also doing damage to it's partner and Diamond Storm is surprisingly strong against the format's Flying types even without investment so I don't think it's that dispensable...

So how are people planning for this? I'd like to join this at the very least for the prize but I wouldn't mind being somewhat competitive. The catch, like some people probably, is that I don't have many 'good' Mythical or Legendaries. The best I have is probably a neutral natured Diancie with approximately 31-28 ivs in each stat. I can probably get a Mewtwo from Y. Eh I'll do that.

But what are the go to Kyogre/Groudon/Raquaza checks?

I already resetted for my diancie and then I decided to use my leftover masterballs from X I got in the story and the lottery to reset for a good Dialga and Landorus. (Still haven't finished resetting for the Landorus, though.)

It doesn't work that way. If you use Sky Drop on Darkrai then it will be invulnerable, almost like Darkrai has used Fly or Dive, so you can't hit it with Machamp while it's in that state. If you want to do that why not just use Fake Out on the Darkrai and have your partner kill it?
... but No Guard ...
Hell, it might be cool: Still, just make sure you don't overprepare for darky to get steamrolled by something else.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had a moment of complete dread when I thought that the competition was this weekend and I had missed the registration period. I don't even have a full team yet, I just really want to play, otherwise the Diancie I SR'd will continue to rot in my PC. At least now I have a few days to hunt down a better Darkai than the one I have (Timid with poo IVs coz I don't RNG), and also finalise my fourth team member. Right now I know I wanna use Darkrai, Aerodactyl and Diancie. I figured I need a fire type / something to deal with Bullet Punchers so Diancie doesn't die so hard. I was originally gonna just roll with the Hidden Power Fire Greninja I just got but I'm really not so sure. I haven't played a single game on the sim yet so maybe I should do that

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
I figured I need a fire type / something to deal with Bullet Punchers so Diancie doesn't die so hard. I was originally gonna just roll with the Hidden Power Fire Greninja I just got but I'm really not so sure. I haven't played a single game on the sim yet so maybe I should do that
This is tricky, as your last Pokémon needs to be a Dragon type and you already have your two legends tied up (I would suggest Volcarona for your last Pokémon but it obviously isn't a Dragon :c ). It also can't be a Mega thanks to Diancie... I suppose I'd end up running Lum Berry mixed Garchomp as you get things like Fire Blast and Earthquake to deal with Steel-types and you can also run Rock Slide for the flinch factor. It does have a lot of overlap with Diancie in terms of type coverage though so it's up to you but it feels like the best option.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is tricky, as your last Pokémon needs to be a Dragon type and you already have your two legends tied up (I would suggest Volcarona for your last Pokémon but it obviously isn't a Dragon :c ). It also can't be a Mega thanks to Diancie... I suppose I'd end up running Lum Berry mixed Garchomp as you get things like Fire Blast and Earthquake to deal with Steel-types and you can also run Rock Slide for the flinch factor. It does have a lot of overlap with Diancie in terms of type coverage though so it's up to you but it feels like the best option.
Oh god damn I forgot a Dragon type in the Dragon competition...

Although I think the Darkrai + Aero combo would be strong, I'm probably going to drop it to rebuild the team around Mega Diancie. I like the look of Rage Powder Volcarona but then I'm really weak to Lando-T. I was thinking Suicune would be OK here but I'll need to track a good one down.

That's pretty much it for ideas (I wish I was a better doubles player). If I stick with the old lineup I'll probably just go for MixedMence. Lucky I have almost a week to sort this out!

I've been trying to build a team around Shaymin-S as it's surprisingly good in this meta, able to outspeed Darkrai and can run Dazzling Gleam for anti-Dragon coverage whenever you're not going for flinch-hax.
Seed Flare's accuracy is a concern but equipped with a Life Orb it does hit just about everything that doesn't resist it HARD.

I'm still having doubts about it though, as I think P-Don & Cress teams are still going to be THE major threat of the competition past a certain rating so Rayquaza is probably going to be a needed team-mate in order to muscle past them with either Air Lock or Delta Stream.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Oh god damn I forgot a Dragon type in the Dragon competition...

Although I think the Darkrai + Aero combo would be strong, I'm probably going to drop it to rebuild the team around Mega Diancie. I like the look of Rage Powder Volcarona but then I'm really weak to Lando-T. I was thinking Suicune would be OK here but I'll need to track a good one down.

That's pretty much it for ideas (I wish I was a better doubles player). If I stick with the old lineup I'll probably just go for MixedMence. Lucky I have almost a week to sort this out!
I haven't seen a single Landorus on the PS ladder for this competition, mostly because it's pretty outclassed by Primal Groudon. My lineup is Diancie/Zekrom/Aegislash/Volcarona, which is obviously incredibly weak to Landorus and EQ spam in general, and I've been doing alright so it hasn't been having an impact so far, I don't think. I run Wide Guard on Aegislash so that helps out a lot.

Skore Shaymin-S won't be usable in the cartridge comp because it reverts back to Land Forme when it's put in the PC - your team needs to be in the Battle Box so getting a Sky Forme Shaymin into the competition is impossible. My heart is broken too ;~;

Last edited:
Skore Shaymin-S won't be usable in the cartridge comp because it reverts back to Land Forme when it's put in the PC - your team needs to be in the Battle Box so getting a Sky Forme Shaymin into the competition is impossible. My heart is broken too ;~;
Well......fuck. Not using ubers that often in these things I wasn't aware of that.

Back to the drawing board then...

How good to you guys think a tanky support like Amoonguss work in this tournament, would they be 1-shot by the power of legendary? :P

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I haven't seen a single Landorus on the PS ladder for this competition, mostly because it's pretty outclassed by Primal Groudon. My lineup is Diancie/Zekrom/Aegislash/Volcarona, which is obviously incredibly weak to Landorus and EQ spam in general, and I've been doing alright so it hasn't been having an impact so far, I don't think. I run Wide Guard on Aegislash so that helps out a lot.
Just from looking at the lineup I was gonna ask how you go against Groudon+Cres since that was the powerhouse combo in the Generation Showdown, and not really that much has changed in terms of regulations for this one, but Wide Guard Aegi would be hella useful there I guess. Might have to look into a decent Wide Guard user (that isn't Aegislash so I don't totally rip off your team) myself

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
How good to you guys think a tanky support like Amoonguss work in this tournament, would they be 1-shot by the power of legendary? :P
I think redirection is pretty great in this format - you have so many great setup sweepers like Xerneas, Mega Rayquaza, Mega Salamence, E-Killer and so on that only need one turn to set up and become massively threatening, so having something like Togekiss or Amoonguss that can take the heat away can be very beneficial (Togekiss/Mega Rayquaza was actually a really common lead in Generation Showdown and still is here).

edit:
Just from looking at the lineup I was gonna ask how you go against Groudon+Cres since that was the powerhouse combo in the Generation Showdown, and not really that much has changed in terms of regulations for this one, but Wide Guard Aegi would be hella useful there I guess. Might have to look into a decent Wide Guard user (that isn't Aegislash so I don't totally rip off your team) myself
Dealing with Groudon is basically as simple as putting it in KO range of Diancie's Earth Power, which really isn't difficult what with Volc Heat Wave, Zekrom Dragon Claw and Diamond Storm all doing the trick (most of the time). Cress is more difficult and obviously I'm sunk if the Trick Room goes off but Aegislash and Volcarona can both target it down hard. I haven't seen Cresselia that much on the PS ladder either, to be honest...

My first draft for the Dragon Cup, aka super bog standard team!
I welcome you to point out all the holes in my team :P

Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Hidden Power (Fire)

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Effect Spore (might rebreed to change...)
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Spore

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Akt / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Air Lock
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Akt
Stance Change
Quiet Nature
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Can we use pokemon form past generations? (No blue pentagon)

Nobody is thinking about using MegaRayquaza?

cant say are you still looking for a Darkrai? I have a competitive one that I can trade you.

Can we use pokemon form past generations? (No blue pentagon)

Nobody is thinking about using MegaRayquaza?

cant say are you still looking for a Darkrai? I have a competitive one that I can trade you.
Yah you can use pokes without the pentagon, otherwise it would be impossible to use things like Darkrai or Arceus

btw I think there is a chance for this event to turn out like the Halloween competition, where the rules said you must have a gourgeist in your team... but in reality you are forced to use it in battle. Maybe the same will apply here with the mandatory dragon type pokemon in the battle box. So everyone should prepare for this scenario just in case this happens again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)