Feraligatr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pent

dumb broad

OVERVIEW
########

Pros
  • Rather nice attack stat paired with good defense.
  • Great variety move pool wise, with access to Moves like Swords Dance or Dragon Dance.
  • Offensive stats get a boost with the Ability Sheer Force when using a move that activates the ability.
  • Only two weaknesses, being Grass and Electric.
Cons
  • Not too good of a speed stat. (78)
  • Common weakness of Electric.
  • Typical moveset can still be walled by certain Pokemon.

Dragon Dance
########

name: Feraligatr
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Dragon Dance
move 3: Crunch / Ice Punch
move 4: Superpower / Ice Punch
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

• Waterfall is by far Feraligatr's best STAB having a base power of 120 excluding other factors. Sheer Force boosts this even more due to it having the additional effect of a Flinch Chance, so Sheer Force activates it's 30% boost, but removes the chance to flinch.
  • Dragon Dance is crucial to this set due to letting feraligatr outspeed many of it's common threats. After just +1 in speed, it outspeeds Pokemon like Mega Manectric, Mega Lopunny, and +1 Jolly Mega Gyarados.
  • Crunch is mainly for Mega Slowbro/Normal Slowbro since it is able to 2OHKO the Mega after +1 in Attack, while being able to 2OHKO without the boost on normal Slowbro. It also helps with other Psychic types that can hinder Feraligatr, including Mega Metagross, which is a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock Damage, Celebi, Jirachi, Mew, Lati@s, and other not as common psychic types.
  • Ice Punch is there for Grass types that are fast and can threaten Feraligatr. These include Mega Sceptile, Tangrowth, Serperior, and Amoonguss. Ice Punch also helps out with the Eon twins.
  • Next we have is Superpower, which is great when used against walls like Ferrothorn, and Rotom-Wash who completely shut down Feraligatr due to their typing and natural bulk. It does about 50% to a Physically defensive Rotom-Wash with +1, while it has an 87.5% chance to OHKO Ferrothorn after rocks with +1 attack.
Set Details
========

• Feraligatr's speed stat is better once a boost of Dragon Dance accompanies it since it isn't the typical speed tier of 115. Once getting a boost from DD, it can out speed many threats like Mega Manectric, and Mega Lopunny, who are especially known for being fast and hard hitting.
  • Life Orb is the only item Feraligatr truly should be running since Sheer Force nullifies the recoil from Life Orb. It also helps Feraligatr out with harder hitting attacks.
  • Sheer Force is the clear ability here since it is what makes Feraligatr viable enough to be in OU. Many of it's hard hitting physical movepool is boosted due to the fact that Sheer Force removes additional effects and boosts the move to over 100 base power.
Usage Tips
========

• Unless you know you can hit their team hard with Feraligatr, don't lead with him. He is not to be lead with since he needs support such as hazards so he can come in and sweep easily.
  • As said before, hazards are rather helpful with Feraligatr so you can widdle down your foes and not have to rely on setting up just to do damage.

Team Options
========

• Feraligatr can work well on Bulky, Offensive team due to it's ability to come in and sweep late game after just one Dragon Dance. It doesn't work well on Hyper Offense due to being slow and not being able to hold its own unless they switch foolishly.
  • Good partners would be Talonflame due to having a chance to come in and revenge kill. Talonflame also helps out with Pokemon such as serperior.

Swords Dance
########

name: Feraligatr
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Ice Punch / Aqua Jet
move 4: Superpower / Crunch
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
evs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Waterfall is Feraligatr's main STAB move that is physical and hits dramatically hard, and is boosted due to Sheer Force removing the flinch chance.
  • Ice Punch is there for Dragons that you can't easily hit with Waterfall. It also helps with other Flying Types.
  • Aqua Jet is slashed here due to Ice Punch not having too much necessity, since Aqua Jet gets a nice STAB Priority move to possibly revenge kill with.
  • Swords Dance is great for a more bulky Feraligatr since it has the bulk so it can function with Swords Dance.
  • Earthquake is mainly for Eelctric types that can get rather pesky against Feraligatr due to his heavy weakness of this common type.
  • Crunch is there for Slowbro, and Mega Slowbro, since it can 2OHKO Mega Slowbro after a Swords Dance, while with no boost doesn't 2OHKO, yet 3OHKO. It also helps out with Psychic types in general, like Jirachi, Celebi, and Mega Metagross.
  • Superpower is for bulky walls like Rotom-Wash and Ferrothorn, which hinder Feraligatr's ability to sweep even more. It also does a good 50% to Keldeo switch-ins.

Set Details
========

• While Feraligatr's measly Speed stat stays at 78, it's physical power isn't too bad to where it can be boosted.
  • Running 112 Spe makes sure to outrun Rotom-Wash and uninvested Landorus-Therian.
  • With Attack, Speed, HP boosted, you have a higher likelihood to Set upand sweep the opposer's team.
  • Pairing Adamant with this is ideal due to Slightly Fast, yet Bulky Physical attackers have no need for a nature like Timid or Impish.
  • What improves Feraligatr's even more is that it gets the ability Sheer Force, enabling it to use the Item, "Life Orb" Rather efficiently.
  • Due to Sheer Force, it is highly unlikely that you will take the normal recoil damage from Life Orb, but still having the remaining 1.5x boost while other remaining factor, including Sheer Force, boost it even more than usual.

Usage Tips
========

USAGE TIPS GO HERE

Team Options
========

TEAM OPTIONS GO HERE

Other Options
########

OTHER OPTIONS GOES HERE. STUFF LIKE ALTERNATE MOVES, ALTERNATE SETS, NICHE STUFF THAT DOESN'T GET A MAIN SET MENTION

Checks & Counters
########

CHECKS & COUNTERS GO HERE
NOTE THAT THIS WILL BE MORE THREATLISTY SO MENTION POKEMON / OTHER EFFECTS ONE AT A TIME

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
In the overview mention that Feraligatr doesn't find many setup chances, and struggles to beat particular Pokemon (i.e without superpower its walled by ferro, without crunch slowbro etc), also get rid of life orb mention in cons imo. also don't think eq is particularly good since no sf boost and also waterfall hits stuff hard anyway. crunch/superpower is better imo.
Also SD should be oo imo, d-dance is by far the best set. Jolly needs to be the first slash since with adamant you don't outspeed stuff like mega lop and manectric at +1

EDIT: how many imos did i write

Pent

dumb broad
In the overview mention that Feraligatr doesn't find many setup chances, and struggles to beat particular Pokemon (i.e without superpower its walled by ferro, without crunch slowbro etc), also get rid of life orb mention in cons imo. also don't think eq is particularly good since no sf boost and also waterfall hits stuff hard anyway. crunch/superpower is better imo.
Also SD should be oo imo, d-dance is by far the best set. Jolly needs to be the first slash since with adamant you don't outspeed stuff like mega lop and manectric at +1

EDIT: how many imos did i write

Will fix tomorrow

Waterfall doesn't get the flinch with Sheer Force. Also, you could run max speed in the Swords Dance set as then you'll be able to outspeed bulky base 90-100s such as Celebi, Mew, and Zapdos. (At +2 you can OHKO them with the appropriate move)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would definitely make SD a second set since it functions differently from DD, and DD really has no reason to run Aqua Jet obviously.

I agree with making Crunch a main slash. Crunch enables you to 2HKO Slowbro and standard MSlowbro at +1, OHKO MMetagross after SR damage, gives you a way of hitting Celebi and Latis without needing Ice Punch (and deals slightly more damage to these targets), hits Starmie, hits weakened Rotom-W, hits Suicune and OHKOs Jirachi at +1 (though this is mostly irrelevant since Jirachi is setup fodder)

Also agree that Superpower>EQ simply because it 2HKOs Ferrothorn, deals a ton of damage to Rotom-W, and also deals 50% to Keldeo switchins, though EQ does have the merit of hitting Azumarill harder.

I don't think Ice Punch is mandatory. Ice Punch does have a few merits over Crunch, specifically it hits Altaria, Amoonguss, Breloom, Tangrowth and Bulky Garchomp, but it's not as good as Crunch overall imo, and should be slashed behind it, or if it is given a main slash, Superpower/EQ should be placed behind it

Jolly should be the main slash on DD. Without Jolly, Feraligatr is outsped by MLopunny, something which is very important for it to outspeed. Jolly also enables it to outspeed MManectric and Scarf Heatran.

Last edited:
I feel the SD set should be removed. As a wallbreaker, it faces a large amount of competition with crawdaunt, who has a greater amount power, STAB knock off, and is less cramped for options due to the great coverage of its STAB moves.
If the SD set does stay I would mention some notable reasons to use Gatr over crawdaunt, namely Higher speed and bulk.

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Due to the many disagreeing of the Swords Dance set, I'm simply going to remove it.

Why?

As Magcargo stated in the previous post, the SD set is outclassed by Crawdaunt, yet simply has a couple more stat amounts.

Now, my question is, should it atleast be a mention in OO? It seems like it should in my opinion, but other opinions are useful for me to write this up correctly.

No, keep Swords Dance as a set. Lack of longevity is really what hurts Crawdaunt, and Feraligatr is able to last a lot longer than Crawdaunt can due to having Sheer Force + better bulk and speed.

I do not think running absolutely no speed on Swords Dance Feraligatr is the smartest idea, though, as being able to outspeed some of the defensive threats it wants to break is important; put in at least 108 speed EVs, as this allows Feraligatr to outspeed univested defensive Landorus-T; however, if QC permits, throw in an extra four speed EVs to make that 112 Speed EVs, as this allows Gatr to outrun standard Rotom-W and avoid being outsped and neutered with Will-O-Wisp or Volt Switch.

Pent

dumb broad
No, keep Swords Dance as a set. Lack of longevity is really what hurts Crawdaunt, and Feraligatr is able to last a lot longer than Crawdaunt can due to having Sheer Force + better bulk and speed.

I do not think running absolutely no speed on Swords Dance Feraligatr is the smartest idea, though; put in at least 108 speed EVs, as this allows Feraligatr to outspeed univested defensive Landorus-T; however, if QC permits, throw in an extra four speed EVs to make that 112 Speed EVs, as this allows Gatr to outrun standard Rotom-W and avoid being outsped and neutered with Will-O-Wisp or Volt Switch.
Good point.

EDIT: Fixed!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you insist on putting Earthquake as an alternative option to the other coverage attacks, I would suggest doing so by providing better logic and examples.

• Finally, we have Earthquake, which is to deal with Steel and Electric Types such as Scarf Magnezone, Mega Metagross, If you're not running Crunch of course, Mega Manetric, Raikou, and others.
Waterfall already does plenty of damage to Magnezone after +1 (+1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Magnezone: 260-307 (92.5 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO), and the rest of the Pokemon you mentioned can also be OHKOed after Stealth Rock (sometimes even without). If anything, it GUARANTEES the OHKOes on the aforementioned Electric- and Steel-types, but wastes some coverage in the process unless you can provide some other use.

• Earthquake is mainly for Eelctric types that can get rather pesky against Feraligatr due to his heavy weakness of this common type.
SD set lacks Earthquake and the logic for this is flawed (Electric isn't that common and Gatrboy's likely to be outsped and KOed by a majority of them anyways, nullifying EQ's use), remove this.

Also, rename each set according to their respective boosting attacks.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
tbh Earthquake isn't that great of an option - steel types are rekt by waterfall anyway and metagross is ohkod with some prior damage with +1 crunch. also there is no sf, so its not great. also work on the overview since its kinda bare.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Crunch also does more than Earthquake to Ferrothorn without having to resort to Superpower, though admittidly the possibly of Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet recoil sucks.

As long as I'm here, I'll tag Halcyon. to explain the issue with SD.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hello,

I don't like SD because I don't see much reason to sue it over Crawdault. I've tested both and found DD to be much more of a valuable team member, and when using SD, I constantly wished that I had Crawdaunt. See, when you get feraligatr/crawdaunt inside, you have two options: attack or set up. If setting up in the better option, then Crawdaunt hits harder than Gatr anyway. if attacking is the better option, not only does Crawdaunt hit harder, but it has a much more spammable move in STAB Knock Off. The only upside that Gatr has here is that in more opportunities, setting up will be the better option, since it has the bulk to live certain attacks that Crawdaunt obviously doesn't. I mean, maybe I'm over-thinking it and I'm using SD Gatr wrong, but it just doesn't make as much sense to me as DD.

I'm fine with it getting a set I guess, since it does have these advantages, but just saying I don't like the set much :x

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Change the Speed in the main spread to a hard creep, ie. 112 Spe outspeeds 44 Spe Rotom-W which is soft Speed creeping which isn't permitted in analyses. Leave the spread in the actual set as 108 for uninvested defensive Landorus-T, then you can make a mention that pokemon in this speed tier such as the aforementioned Lando and Rotom-W commonly run some investment so running more is viable to try and outspeed them. On the subject of EV spreads, does Jolly DD need absolute Max Speed? as far as I can see, apart from like Choice Scarf Heatran, you're not really outrunning anything relevant with this spread, I would drop it to 220 Speed which outspeeds Lopunny and Manectric Megas at +1 which is the main attraction of running Jolly, while keeping your Speed advantage over the base 70 tier. Then again the bulk increase is miniscule so I guess it can work either way.

Will comment more when this is a bit more filled out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)