Resource ORAS NU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sub Malamar isn't that common a set anyways. Like, it's been quite some time since I've seen it.

Also, when you're trying to prove something with calcs, you can't just change around your EVs like that. How are you running 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD? It kinda makes your argument less than convincing. Just something to note.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Well that set does not have 252 Atk EV (Rest Talk) , and I have been using the sub variant quite successfully even though not common

Ya I understand, but still think its potent enough to merit itself a rise

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
His calcs are correct for each set, notice how he put 0 Spc def when taking signal beam from Uxie. I know the Malamar hate is strong and all talks of promotion are getting shot down at a disturbing rate, but lets be rational.
That being said I'd support a rise to A+ it is ridiculously strong as it has always been, and the sub set has solved some of its earlier issues (weak attacks off the bat, avoiding trick, avoiding hugely powerful revenge attacks after a kill), while sacrificing its recovery.

It is clear these viability rankings are slightly skewed towards bulky offense and HO and that's fine and all, but you cannot deny Malamar's strong niche as a longevity sweeper.

Edit: I would also suggest a rise for Klingklang to A, A+ is a bit too high with Gear Grind's 85% accuracy which seems to happen at the worst times, but there is no denying it is a huge threat now.

Last edited:

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Regirock
C+ ----> B+

This muhfucka got so much better after the recent changes to the tier.

It's an incredibly reliable switch in to Typhlosion, as well as pretty much every other fire type, it beats the most relevant normal types with ease (Kanga), it beats archeops the god, and it spreads status (t-wave and toxic can be run on the same damn set) like a boss. This thing is amazing. Use it. Love it. Cherish it. B+ it. :]

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm fine with Malamar to A+, when every Psychic-type is running Bug coverage its pretty fair to say its a metagame defining threat.

Also agreeing with Regirock to B+, something that simultaneously deals with Arcehops, Typhlosion, Kangaskhan and Scyther is absolutely amazing.

Regirock is sad for not getting Rock Blast, though...
I think I prefer Golem or even f*cking Gigalith over Regirock, having lost count how many games I lost simply because I didn't have Rock Blast but had to resort to Stone Miss in Gen V.

Not to say Regirock is bad, but still, Stone Miss as your main STAB kinda blows.

use Rock Slide. it's as strong as a 3 hit rock blast.

I think B+ is a bit too generous, but Regirock should definitely move up.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with a Regirock rise, although not sure if B+ is the right place for it, B sounds good imo.

The fact that it deals with so many threats at once is pretty significant.

What is most notable is that when you compare it to other answers to said pokemon, it eats up their coverage moves meant to hit the usual checks to normal / fire / flying types, as it is not 4x weak to aqua tail like Rhydon and camerupt and has no trouble taking earthquakes which trouble garbodor.

The rise of charcoal wisp typhlosion is a negative for it in a sense, but that can be applied to most if not all fire checks. Also if you run dual status klinklang gets a free sub up versus Regirock which seems pretty unfavorable.

use Rock Slide. it's as strong as a 3 hit rock blast.

I think B+ is a bit too generous, but Regirock should definitely move up.
Rock Blast breaks Sashes and Subs though, which is a very useful trait.

Sadly, Regirock is total set-up bait for Malamar so that's something to keep in mind.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
His calcs are correct for each set, notice how he put 0 Spc def when taking signal beam from Uxie. I know the Malamar hate is strong and all talks of promotion are getting shot down at a disturbing rate, but lets be rational.
Frankly, I thought my post was incredibly rational. I didn't actually even disagree with his nomination for Malamar moving up lol. My point was that Malamar almost never runs max Attack. It generally just gets away with running HP and SpD. Even in the analysis, you'll see that neither set invests Attack, with the exception of one mention in the Moves section. But w/e.

And yeah, totally support Regirock to B

I am not sure if Regirock deserves B+ when there is Carracosta to fill a similar role while not being a free switch to pretty much all ground types. They check similar threats in Normals, Birds, Scyther, Sneasel, Archeops, Fire types etc. Something Regirock has over Carracosta is the ability to set up sun and a little more physical bulk which isn't something to warrant it to whopping B+ lol.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am not sure if Regirock deserves B+ when there is Carracosta to fill a similar role while not being a free switch to pretty much all ground types. They check similar threats in Normals, Birds, Scyther, Sneasel, Archeops, Fire types etc. Something Regirock has over Carracosta is the ability to set up sun and a little more physical bulk which isn't something to warrant it to whopping B+ lol.
the biggest thing is that you're not quad weak to hp grass, thats honestly enough of a niche to warrant the difference in rankings

the biggest thing is that you're not quad weak to hp grass, thats honestly enough of a niche to warrant the difference in rankings
Plus Regirock gets T-Wave and some degree of recovery in Drain Punch, which makes it a formidable glue for bulky offensive teams.

Since when does a pokemon deserve to bump up by two rankings on its ability to take hidden powers? lol. Besides Carracosta can take a random hidden power if needed be and can actually threaten the fire types who uses hp grass with Aqua jet. I think Regirock definitely deserves a bump with the relevance of Archeops and sneasel and taking weak electric/grass hits but not as high as B+.

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 192+ SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 261-309 (74.1 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I mean the point of Carracosta taking Hidden Powers worse can be countered by the fact that it completely shrugs off Aqua Tail, and Solid Rock making Fighting / Ground coverage much less effective against Costa. Costa also has a nifty 4x Fire resist while not being completely susceptible to MegaRupt (which is pretty huge). That said, Costa still doesn't eclipse Regirock as they possess different utility; Costa has Scald and Aqua Jet, while Regirock has TWave and Drain Punch.

Sneasel to A+

This thing should definitely be A+ stab knock off is amazing especially with how good bulky psychics are in the tier, it has an amazing speed tier the only non scarfed mon that outspeeds is Swellow which doesn't enjoy an ice shard. Yea it struggles with some common mons like yama and mawile but youve five other mons for that. Plus 30% icicle crash finches are great.

Golurk B- to B

B-
is a little too low tbh, I know its not a brilliant mon but life orb iron fist golurk can punch massive holes in slower teams. Stab earthquake is p nice and there's always the no guard d punch set if you want to be that guy. Access to stealth rock while being able to spin block is also a plus I suppose. Triple immunity is always a good deterrent against choiced mons and can be useful for pivoting as well.

Edit: oops just went back 2 pages and pokedots nommed sneasel for p much everything I said sorry.

Last edited:

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ

I don't know about you, but I think Zangoose is pretty terrifying at the moment, so I'd like to nominate Zangoose from B+ to A- or A.
This thing is really getting on my nerves right now and plows through teams much easier now with Megalix gone. Unlike other fast sweepers will not be hindered by T-Wave or Wisp and will annihilate your omnipresent precious

Camel Rupties
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Camerupt: 345-406 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mantines
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 312-367 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
and KlangKlings
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 350-414 (123.2 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

and will 2 hit KO your bulky defenders such as

Rhydon
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 226-266 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Musharna
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 276-325 (63.7 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lorde Quaggles
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 276-325 (70 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and Regirock?
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 214-254 (58.7 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The priority is also very nice doing a hefty 63.3 - 74.5% to Life Orb Sneasels trying to revenge it as well as bopping other frail and fast mons.

It is pretty scary at the moment and near impossible to switch in on without heavy predictions. Yes it's on a toxic orb timer, but likely by the time has run out (RIP if Mesp healing wish support) it has managed to do quite a bit of damage. Jolly can also be used over adamant to outspeed even more pokemon (Hp fire Lilligant, etc) while slightly reducing 1hitkoes on Mantine and Camerupt, but maintaining 2 hit Koes on all the counters.

Last edited:

I don't know about you, but I think Zangoose is pretty terrifying at the moment, so I'd like to nominate Zangoose from B+ to A- or A.
This thing is really getting on my nerves right now and plows through teams much easier now with Megalix gone. Unlike other fast sweepers will not be hindered by T-Wave or Wisp and will annihilate your omnipresent precious

Camel Rupties
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Camerupt: 345-406 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mantines
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 312-367 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
and KlangKlings
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 350-414 (123.2 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

and will 2 hit KO your bulky defenders such as

Rhydon
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 226-266 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Musharna
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 276-325 (63.7 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lorde Quaggles
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 276-325 (70 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and Regirock?
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 214-254 (58.7 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The priority is also very nice doing a hefty 63.3 - 74.5% to Life Orb Sneasels trying to revenge it as well as bopping other frail and fast mons.

It is pretty scary at the moment and near impossible to switch in on without heavy predictions. Yes it's on a toxic orb timer, but likely by the time has run out (RIP if Mesp healing wish support) it has managed to do quite a bit of damage. Jolly can also be used over adamant to outspeed even more pokemon (Hp fire Lilligant, etc) while slightly reducing 1hitkoes on Mantine and Camerupt, but maintaining 2 hit Koes on all the counters.
The issue with this is if it cannot KO something, the mon will do a decent amount of damage back, preventing it from killing to much because of the timer not needed as much turns to KO. Not to mention mons like mismagius, tauros, and sneasel can revenge rather easily.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with a rise of Zangoose, pretty much Normal- and Steel-types are really really good offensively right now with the removal of Mega and regular Steelix.

The issue with this is if it cannot KO something, the mon will do a decent amount of damage back, preventing it from killing to much because of the timer not needed as much turns to KO. Not to mention mons like mismagius, tauros, and sneasel can revenge rather easily.
Anything can be revenge killed, trying to switch in on Zangoose is a different story. A ton of Pokemom just die to Zangoose and you can always calc to see if you can KO. As far as getting revenged goes...you can just switch out?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Double post cause can. Update time.
Code:
Samurott A ==> A+
Tauros B+ ==> A+
Klinklang B+ ==> A
Malamar A ==> A+
Sneasel A ==> A+
Zangoose B+ ==> A-

Rampardos C+ ==> B-
Dodrio C- ==> C+
Golem C ==> C+
Muk C+ ==> B-
Zebstrika C ==> C+
Regirock C+ ==> B
Golurk B- ==> B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)