Other OU Player of the Week #21: KratosMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to OU's Player of the week, a project
where I interview well known players to gain insight on how they battle, as well as get to know some things about them. The goal of this thread is to have these high level players give insight to other players in this community in hopes of creating a better overall experience in the OU environment. As always, if there's someone you'd like to see interviewed, feel free to shoot me a PM. So without further ado, lets get to it!

KratosMana

Most Known For: Winning world cup with a 3-0 record on playoffs, getting to grand slam playoffs, being a proud member of the well-known [VoD] clan, playing all tiers and last but not least loving cats a bit more than i probably should.

Favorite Pokemon: Absol

Most used Pokemon: Latias

Where did you get your name from?
From my favorite game Tales of Symphonia and a character of it named Kratos.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
It all started in 2009, when I didn't even know about wi-fi battles so i searched for a way of playing online. I found the Pokémon Online Forums and downloaded PO. I made a nooby squad and hopped into the biggest server of it(po main or w/e) and started playing on the ladder and all that stuff. I found it too complicated tho, so i stopped playing.

Then, after BW came out at like 2010 or something, i tried coming back and actually learning all the stuff, reading some articles on PO's forum. I didn't know anything of english at all tho, so it was pretty hard for me. After signing up with the nickname FTT and doing stuff on the forums in general, i met another brazilian with the username Blue_Star . He taught me everything about competitive mons and pretty much all i know of this game. We would talk all the time and ladder and all that shit, even watch some SPL games but i couldn't tell half of what would be going on. He also introduced me to this one brazilian forum that I only started being active on about like 2 years later. From that forum i got the opportunity to meet more people but I never liked smogon because my english was so bad. Then, years later, i got the opportunity to play for smogon world cup, at which point where I was taking english courses so I was pretty confident with it, so I decided to give it a go, and here I am now I guess.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
I feel like ORAS made balance an even better playstile than it already was, with new tricks like Mega Slowbro, Mega Altaria, Mega Metagross, Mega Gallade and the list goes on. It also made full stall a really hard playstile to work around with, because it's honestly too many megamons and move tutors(mainly Diggersby's move tutor moves) on the game at this point, so stopping most of them on one team is really difficult.

What are your thoughts on the outcome of the Metagross suspect test? Is there anything else you feel is suspect worthy?
I'm not sure if I liked the outcome to be honest. I just feel like it makes teambuilding in ORAS a bit annoying, due to the low ammount of real counters to it, but it does balances the metagame a bit. I've always supported a Landorus-I suspect test. It's strong, diverse and just a stupid Pokémon in general. The only real counters to it at this points are like Cresselia and Mega Latias, since people started using Rock Slide for stuff like Zapdos and Tornadus-T. You can play around it though, so it's not like stupidly broken, but it just limits teambuilding when you start theorymoning about it(which you will catch yourself doing a lot when making SPL teams probably). I can also see Diancie getting a suspect soon.

What’s your favorite playstyle and why?
Offense. Because you can find a way to beat any team matchup-related most of the time, as long as you can make some plays and stuff like that.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?
DPP, due to the ammount of different strategies you can use on it, making it fun and with an unpredictable outcome most of the time.

Favorite and least favorite moments of SPL?
Being on this call when we were testing teams for the tournament. I never laughed so much on Pokémon as i did on this video, and i do it everytime i watch it again.

Least favorite obviously has to be my ban because i was just trying to help a friend w/ scouting because the guy was playing w/ his nick on the br server while i was online. Then he passed the teams i scouted to his team chat, so they could see if there were any weakness against it. He ended up getting snaked though, and for some reason the guy was testing his spl team on the known server. So i guess i messed up without even knowing i did, when i turned on my computer everyone was calling me a "snake" when what i did wasn't even snaking, and it was just a horrible feeling ya know. Getting haxed to shit by soulgazer also sucked because a 5-1 record would be cool, but that is just the game.

Favorite to win OST and why?
I'm hoping and praying for my main man blunder to do it, but i think either SoulWind or fren Ben are gonna win. They have amazing teambuilding and a bunch of skill in this game.

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?
I would ban Baton Pass. Even if only one Pokémon can use the move, it's still really stupid and some matchups against it are impossible to break through. It's uncompetitive and there is really no real reason to keep it lol, at least people have common sense and try to have fun with the game, meaning you don't see it that often.

Do you have any advice for newer players, and for Smogon in general?
Do not by ANY.CHANCE. try to look like an arrogant bitch on the tournaments part of the forum while your new to the community. If you think you're good because you got "x" points on the ladder or just feel like talking like you saw some other player do, you're gonna get shit by doing it. You should also probably never complain about hax, because your opponent doesn't control it, you gotta move on and accept that the game is like that.

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?
I think smogon would be way better if the best players of the community did some of the analyses or if they participated of the viablity rankings thread, that kind of stuff. I'm not sure about the other tiers, but I don't see many(if any) of the OU players on SPL helping out in the OU viablity rankings thread or the discussion one. That also goes to the tutor system of Battling 101, because that seems to be pretty lackluster as it is at the moment. By getting them to do it, maybe smogon could give money or something(i'd do those stuff for money hehehehe).

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
Blue_Star for sure. He teached me everything and never stops to amaze me with his skill in the game. Unfortunately life is a pain to him so he comes back to play this shit on like July or something(when he has holidays) every year, and even when he comes back from the devil he manages to still be a beast on the game. I also love playing with my buddy tesung, I can always learn a thing or two, he's an amazing player and a cool guy to talk to. Blimlax and I talk a ton and i've learned a lot from him, he also pretty much saved me on the ubers metagame on grand slam lol, love this man. Thanks to being on UK's team on powc, i've also been talking a lot to marth and he's an amazing player and a great guy, been learning a bit w/ him lately.
I also look up to bro fist, mcm, heist, bkc and hugo as players.

Finally, can you provide us a team that’s a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Megahorn

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 104 Atk / 152 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Scald
- Secret Sword

This team got an 8-0 record tournament-wise, with me using it on OST rounds for 1 and 2, blunder using it for 4 rounds of the tournament, while chimpact used it for 2 on OLT(he also made some videos with it). OH AND ALSO SOME RANDOM CALLED HEC STOLE IT AND GOT TO FINALS OF MARCH 14TH'S SMOGON TOUR LOL. I was dying when i saw it.

It's a pretty simple team that should win most of the matchups you see in the metagame(most annoying mon being Sableye). You just gotta lead Scolipede, lay down hazards according to your opponent's team, and play around it from there on. The scizor + bisharp core pressures a lot of teams, because for example if your opponent has a keldeo as his Bisharp check, he can get weakened by the Scizor, or vice-versa. Landorus lays down stealth rock while checking a ton of annoying physical attackers(check out my rmt for in depth explanation of the evs). Scarf Latias helps out stopping a ton of set up sweepers as well as providing the team Healing Wish support, while Keldeo helps out getting momentun with hard hitting moves + hazards.

---

If you have any questions for KratosMana, leave 'em down below. I'd like to thanks him for doing this. See y'all next week!

Why are you so bad at tagpro?

Best/worst player in VoD (discluding yourself)?

How do you stay innovating even in such a dull tier like OU? :o

I heard you're a god at lower tiers too, is that true?

Is it true that I built all your gslam teams?

Did afro smash deserve to hax you out in gslam playoffs?

Scarf Alakazam is good yes?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What stuff would you move up or down in the OU viability rankings as of now? The ranking team is always gauging opinions of informed players and we would appreciate your input or any input from informed players, big or small, no sugar coating.

leremyju

Banned deucer.
What's ur degree in tagpro
Best Dpp player
Would u free masterclass or Tele
Are Brazil chicks hot

How do u feel about shake getting potw before u?

Why do u deserve to stay in [VoD]

Who is gonna win Spl?

WHo is the most overrated player in spl?

What do you think of the BR community?

WHat was your favorite ou game this spl?

Most overrated ou mon (and overrated by tourney players i mean)

I would like to know how do you get ideas to always innovate in your teams, if you could explain it would be perfect :]
Why do you have such a good taste about animes
Where did you get the inspiration to the nickname solar_thunder

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
bw uu > gen6 uu, yn

is it true that you are actually superior to user afro smash in lower tiers?

if you could change any 3 aspects of competitive pokemon - be it mechanics, pokemons tiering placement, or something else in regard to the game - what would they be and why?

rby ou or oras ou?

you ready to lose to the bigs in playoffs?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is it already potw 200? Damn...

which of the lower tiers (including ubers I guess) is your favorite?

What anime is best in your opinion?

what gimmicks/super unheard of sets, if any, are your favorite to use and why?

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
whats it like being a shitty brazilian ripoff of ben gay whos a rip off of me?
on average, how many times do u pray to jesus for each instance of hax?
i often see u catch balls to the face and even go as far as to choke on some of them in matches, would you say that its ur brazilian heritage and futbol tradition that caused the phenomenon?
do u ever watch slumdog millionaire in ur hut and think "damn, one day i wanna become just like the basedlord"?
whos ur fave brazilian on the site? in other words, whos the least aids infested retarded monkey out of the bunch
top 5 south american drug dealers u aspire to become?
top 5 upsides about poverty and illiteracy
top 5 mcdonalds locations to go to when ur shack runs out of electricity
that is all

Last edited:
What's the mon you hate fighting the most?

Stupidest thing you've seen while playing?

Do you play any OMs? If so, which ones?

Edit: Congrats on winning today's tour.

Last edited:
what were you thinking when everyone was spamming "LOLOL Antiii choked" in today's tour final?
Congrats. :)

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Why are you so bad at tagpro?

Best/worst player in VoD (discluding yourself)?

How do you stay innovating even in such a dull tier like OU? :o

I heard you're a god at lower tiers too, is that true?

Is it true that I built all your gslam teams?

Did afro smash deserve to hax you out in gslam playoffs?

Scarf Alakazam is good yes?
-Bro i was just blessed by the Gods.

-Obviously blunder haha, my nigga's on top 16 of ST.

-I normally check out the viability rankings thread as well as the replays of the OU games of SPL, and look up Pokémon from UU till NU to see if there's any Pokémon that could fill up a certain job. Same thing goes to sets, i'll look up to those stuff and think about something uncommon that could catch people off guard so i can win the ame.

-I'm the worst RUer in existance probably LOL. But I guess I can try on the others haha.

-,,,,,,, we did it together, but thanks for the help bro.

-Nah that nigga got shit on at finals haha, would be an easy win for yaboi.

- Meru can answer that one.

Do you still play BW?

What is your opinion on the metagame? Is there anything you would like to see banned / unbanned?
-Ya, i do. I don't like it that much, it's too matchup related imoimoimo. I think a Volcarona ban would be really cool, but I don't play the metagame thaaat much to make sure of it, but in any case from what i've seen it looked pretty damn broken.

What stuff would you move up or down in the OU viability rankings as of now? The ranking team is always gauging opinions of informed players and we would appreciate your input or any input from informed players, big or small, no sugar coating.
-Oh man, this question is actually really cool cuz I was looking at the viability rankings thread like Yesterday and thinking about the stuff.. I'd make sure Landorus-I stays on S for sure first of all(simply cuz I want it banned LOL). I'd move Mega Latias from B+ to at least A(or maybe A+). It's an amazing Pokémon who checks a ton of the metagame, and can phaze them out, thunder wave, or simply sweep through teams w/ stored power. Definetly an underated Pokémon. I'd also move up Mega Aerodactyl and Volcarona to A and drop Mega Gallade because it's outclassed by a lot of mons. Oh, and Weavile to B+ at least hehe.

What's ur degree in tagpro
Best Dpp player
Would u free masterclass or Tele
Are Brazil chicks hot
-I'm one of the worst tagpro players ever, dont worry about it.

- Tamahome

-Masterclass for sure.

-Yes, but the ones who are hot will most likely diss you going w/ other guys w/o telling you :[

How do u feel about shake getting potw before u?

Why do u deserve to stay in [VoD]

Who is gonna win Spl?

WHo is the most overrated player in spl?

What do you think of the BR community?

WHat was your favorite ou game this spl?

Most overrated ou mon (and overrated by tourney players i mean)
-I still don't know how it happened, bet he payed at least two hundred dollars haha.

-Because im amazin haha

-Bigs

-This one guy named Tesung , he lucks through all games w/ matchup and if he doesn't get that he just lucks em with some powerful hax. Disgusting.

-They're retarded for not learning to shut up when another br is playing, also hate soge for making us look like cancer, but other than that it's a cool comunity

-ben gay vs Mencemeat. It was a really important game for our team, with as close as you can get to an even matchup in ORAS, and a ton of good plays. It was long, but worth watching. Really really well played by both of them.

-I've honestly always disliked Landorus-T in ORAS. I don't get why would anyone not use Gliscor, they have just about the same bulk and u can still check Bisharp. It also makes u unable to use Landorus-I which is like the best mon in the meta rofl. But yeah, some people say "omg Landorus-T walls have the meta" or whatever the shit when it really isn't that good and there's other mons that can fill it's use, imo.

What's your opinion on Jair Bolsonaro?

Why don't you talk much in Skype? :L

Do you play/plan to play any other tier other than OU?

Goao is annoying yn?
-I think he's kinda crazy LOL

-I'm too busy on weekdays man :z

-Not for now, but to win Grand Slam yes.

-He's retarded. But cute!

do you agree dilma is a shitty president?

can you bring blue_star back?

what the fuck does FTT mean?
-I kinda do, and I hope the impeachment works o.o

-I've been trying for about 4 months :[

-This is kinda embarrising, but it's for the troll LOL. A friend was talking about it on PO and i needed a nick for the forums so i just decided to use it lmao.

thoughts on landorus in XY OU (ORAS)
favourite to win ST19
do you listen to something when playing
do you have any pets n_n
also damn why are you so addicted to this anime called parasyte
-It needs to be banned. Too powerful, too diverse, has almost to no real counters(thank god Mega Latias and Cresselia are a thing), and it makes teambuilding in ORAS really disguting.

-Me. LOL. I guess bloo has a good shot.

-I like to listen to Nujabes all the time, so playing is on that list too n_n

-I have 2 dogs. You might be asking yourself "but don't you love cats???", well, i already had 3 cats but they all died LOL, so our family decided to not do it till i get to have 18 years and have my own home.

-Because parasyte is just the best anime ever @_@

what is worse, twitch chat or lobby?
favorite animal?
do you plan to take trips out of the continent?
favorite body of water?
-LOL. Oh man that's a hard one, gotta go with lobby tho.

-Cats ofc.

-Yes, I plan on living on New York when i get older.

-
[21:56:05] Jirachee: my favourite body of water is the pacific ocean.
[21:56:11] Jirachee: who doesn't love the pacific ocean.
^

I would like to know how do you get ideas to always innovate in your teams, if you could explain it would be perfect :]
Why do you have such a good taste about animes
Where did you get the inspiration to the nickname solar_thunder
-Look at my answer to omfuga :]

-I always search a ton before starting a new anime, because i wanna make sure to not waste my time, so i think that's the reason n_n

-I wanted to nickname something with thunder and it was on morning, so i thought how sick would a lightning strike be on day-time, and then decided to put the nick

Your jealous tears are delicious yum

bw uu > gen6 uu, yn

is it true that you are actually superior to user afro smash in lower tiers?

if you could change any 3 aspects of competitive pokemon - be it mechanics, pokemons tiering placement, or something else in regard to the game - what would they be and why?

rby ou or oras ou?

you ready to lose to the bigs in playoffs?
-y, best tier ever

-ofc, lucky trashz G

-I'd lower Scald's burn rate-if not remove the move-, because it's a stupid move that decides too many games.

-Oh man, that's a hard one. RBY is rarely gonna be decided on team matchup so that's p cool, but when you can lose to SG on it maybe you look back and think oras ou is better. I'll go with oras because rby rly is just too luck based :_:

-Easiest win as long as we actually make playoffs HNG

Is it already potw 200? Damn...

which of the lower tiers (including ubers I guess) is your favorite?

What anime is best in your opinion?

what gimmicks/super unheard of sets, if any, are your favorite to use and why?
-UU. It has always been a cool metagame to play.

-Code geass n_n

-Marth's Mega Latias set(roar, thunder wave, roost, dragon pulse), because it checks like half the meta and wins games easily w/ hazards up. Also shits on pursuiters lmao

favorite animal besides cats, the tier that you're best at, thoughts on landorus-i?
-Gotta go with the dogs.

-I think ORAS OU just because it's the one I play the most.

-Gotta go ASAP

Favorite anime
favorite user
<3 anti kouhai-kun
-Parasyte
-SUGAR SENPAI OFC <3

Thoughts on Shadow Tag and where it stacks up on the Cancer-meter compared to Baton Pass?
Yeah, it's really an annoying ability, if not broken. But I don't know, it seems to be as uncommon as Baton Pass, so i can't really tell if it should have a suspect test or whatever.

whats it like being a shitty brazilian ripoff of ben gay whos a rip off of me?
on average, how many times do u pray to jesus for each instance of hax?
i often see u catch balls to the face and even go as far as to choke on some of them in matches, would you say that its ur brazilian heritage and futbol tradition that caused the phenomenon?
do u ever watch slumdog millionaire in ur hut and think "damn, one day i wanna become just like the basedlord"?
whos ur fave brazilian on the site? in other words, whos the least aids infested retarded monkey out of the bunch
top 5 south american drug dealers u aspire to become?
top 5 upsides about poverty and illiteracy
top 5 mcdonalds locations to go to when ur shack runs out of electricity
that is all
- i thot u were my teammate?
- ^
- ^
-LOL ofc.
-Blue_star the don
-i cant answer that shit sigh
-^
-LOL
-Love the basedlord

What's the mon you hate fighting the most?

Stupidest thing you've seen while playing?

Do you play any OMs? If so, which ones?

Edit: Congrats on winning today's tour.
-Landorus fucking i.

-Scald Mew. #neverforget

-I tried playing hackmons once, it looked pretty fun, I'd get more into it if I could share more time playing this game than i already do

-Thanks man! :)

gg st o.o
gg easy win imoimo :]

what were you thinking when everyone was spamming "LOLOL Antiii choked" in today's tour final?
Congrats. :)
-Oh man, I looked the replay again and i really don't regret doing any plays lol, but at the same time it was kind of just CTC so fuck that guy haha. Thanks bro :)

Why you do not give a chance to watch Madoka magica?(the plot is really good).

What is your favorite word or expression on both languages,english and portuguese.

Do you have a fun history about your "poke life"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)