Yu-Gi-Oh discussion

The thing is with Bujins is that it's all about anticipating what cards your opponent is just using to bait out Hares and Turtles and which ones are actually trying to get rid of Bujin. Crane works in the same way. If they are going to get around your Bujin no matter what, you need to preserve you're safety nets, and if they're starting to struggle, then you starting working the Bujingi. Bujin's also have to worry about the fact that they literally only have two cards that make the deck run in Yamato and Susanowo. Once they're gone, you're stuck with Mika and Hirume at best. You also need to know when it's safe to use your Carnations and when it wouldn't be effective enough. Trying to get over just two monsters with Carnation is what I would call a waste. You have to take risks that your opponent won't kill you next turn and trust the living heck out of your protective traps.
/rant

Just tried the online site in the OP after saying to myself, "Hell, why not give it a go?" and I have to say the interface was just insane. I had the luck of an experienced (and extremely patient) player teaching me how to use the site's format, but... when I compare it to card sites like the old Dominion one, I was just aghast. Not only that, but the power creep is insane in this game! In the games I was playing with the vet, he got out a 3000/3000 synchro monster of some sort that could not be destroyed by battle or effects, and gained attack power through battle with other cards, and this was on the second or third turn. I'm lucky I ran some Penguin soldiers in my Umi deck or I'd have been totally fucked. I honestly feel like the only interesting thing to do is just play with friends, because this game is nuts.

Sorry but also not sorry to come in here and shit all over the game and the YGO website, but if anyone has some recommendations for me that make the game not ridiculous, I'd love to hear them.

Just tried the online site in the OP after saying to myself, "Hell, why not give it a go?" and I have to say the interface was just insane. I had the luck of an experienced (and extremely patient) player teaching me how to use the site's format, but... when I compare it to card sites like the old Dominion one, I was just aghast. Not only that, but the power creep is insane in this game! In the games I was playing with the vet, he got out a 3000/3000 synchro monster of some sort that could not be destroyed by battle or effects, and gained attack power through battle with other cards, and this was on the second or third turn. I'm lucky I ran some Penguin soldiers in my Umi deck or I'd have been totally fucked. I honestly feel like the only interesting thing to do is just play with friends, because this game is nuts.

Sorry but also not sorry to come in here and shit all over the game and the YGO website, but if anyone has some recommendations for me that make the game not ridiculous, I'd love to hear them.
Part of Yu-Gi-Oh is that you have to learn the Meta. Unlike Magic, Konami's only way of pushing product is to gradually increase the power curve and eventually nerf older decks via the ban list, so there can be a learning curve in terms of what decks are popular at any given moment, how they play and, most importantly, how to beat them. Sadly this also means that decks that worked 2 or more years ago are far less likely to be effective against current top tier decks, and the gap only widens with age.

Admittedly though Beelze, the Synchro monster you were staring at, is ridiculous to begin with, especially since his summoning condition is not particularly restrictive.

jrp

Banned deucer.
I've personally never had any issues with Beelze, but it's likely a side effect of the decks I play, with either effect negation or bouncing, but I digress.

I'm really hoping Konami does something about this format with the april banlist. This format is quite simply not a fun format to play in. Vanity's absolutely needs to go, as does skill drain, and Nekroz need to get hit in some way. Being able to endlessly search out cards (even more-so than decks like Tellas) while being incredibly threatening from the getgo does not a balanced deck make. Having to tech in random cards like mistake or mind crush, while situationally useful cards , can be practically useless against other decks. Burning Abyss is still irritating beyond belief, albeit less problematic than Nekroz.

I love this game to death but this format is bad enough that it's causing some people I know to consider quitting, and I'm on the fence with how unplayable it's become

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't compare Nekroz to Burning Abyss. Nekroz are not only the best deck but are actually dull as shit to play against as well because of constant waiting for the opponent to search before eventually making a smallish play like a djinn lock, or OTKing. The other issue, and this is a big one, that I have with Nekroz is that they can abuse the end of time procedure as they have 3 Valk and no need to pay life points, when they can go into time really easily due to loads of searching and stalling with Valk. It's really uncompetitive and it gives it a massive massive advantage vs Qliphort since they will almost always win if it comes to time.

Having said that, Nekroz, Qliphort and BA all deserve hits, as does Skill Drain. Vanity's I'm not sure about because it's nowhere near as permanent a lock plus I feel Vanity's being good is more of a result of the format being bad, rather than Vanity's being the actual issue. I'd hope Nekroz get a pretty good hit and honestly I'd put Valk above a lot of the other stuff to hit because nobody likes to lose to end of time procedure.

What's the yugioh metagame like right now and how expensive is it?

I haven't played since I didn't like how they balanced the game and I had to focus on real life.

What's the yugioh metagame like right now and how expensive is it?

I haven't played since I didn't like how they balanced the game and I had to focus on real life.
It depends on what you build I think.

Right now Nekroz is considered the best deck in the format, but it requires a lot of investment. A playset of Brionac alone costs about $350, and a playset of Valkyrus costs about $165.
Qliphorts are still strong contenders, and I hear that Ritual Beasts and Yosenju are actually doing all right. I haven't heard much from Burning Abyss (I assume you play TCG not OCG) but I think they're still going strong. Qliphorts and Burning Abyss are still a bit pricey, but I don't think they are quite as bad as Nekroz in terms of price

Personally, if you want to get back in, my advice is that if you can't wait, you should build something budget right now. The next wave of bans will be out in less than a month and there's no clear sign of how much any of the top decks are going to be nerfed. I personally think Volcanics look cool, but investing in a Ritual Beast or Yosenju may pay off more in the long run since both are relatively new decks that are at least tier 2 right now.

EDIT: Just realized I used my 500th post in a Pokemon site on a Yu-Gi-Oh thread. Not quite irony, but I do find it a bit funny.

Yeah I'll definitely wait. The balance team in the game consistently underestimates and overestimates power levels and there is missed opportunities for more balanced formats. They shouldn't make decks and not follow up on them.

What ever happened to Lightsworn? That used to be the best deck for a month or so, then it just disappeared.

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It depends on what you build I think.
I haven't heard much from Burning Abyss (I assume you play TCG not OCG) but I think they're still going strong.
Well, they did kinda win a YCS last week.

Lightsworn haven't been the best deck since like 2011, they were hyped when the new support were released and they were OK but compared to decks that came into the game like Shaddolls, Satellarknights and Burning Abyss they weren't really able to compete.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lightsworns suck, and BA is definitely still a strong contender if you can build it to properly answer Nekroz. In doing so you make your worst match-up in Nekroz manageable at the least and still have your match-up advantage vs Qli, especially since Nekroz forces them to go back to their Trap heavy builds which are generally easy pickings for Fire Lake. For example for my BA Trap line up I play 3 Mind Crush (Hurts the hell out of Nekroz, still good vs everything else since every Deck searches) 3 Vanity's Emptiness (Good vs Nekroz if they don't have their Floodgate monster answers, Sorceror/Princess + Decisive Armor, or an MST clone) and 1 Fire Lake (Not really good vs Nekroz, but still very good vs Qli. I side the other 2). I also play Mask Change II because Dark Law really hurts Nekroz and in general is a pretty good monster against the meta. For the Side Deck, things like Veiler and Vanity's Fiend are good options as well.

That being said, Nekroz in general is inherently a stronger Deck than almost anything else available in the game. If you can't keep the Floodgates or stun going, they can easily destroy you.

jrp

Banned deucer.
Extra deck stuff is pretty easy

Exciton, honor ark, castel, rhapsody, heartland draco, ragnazero, etc if rank 4

Obviously you'll want your archetype xyzes

Rank 3s use like leviar, down nerd , acid golem, Phoenix, etc

Obviously main deck is the determining factor for extra deck but those are the common ones

jrp

Banned deucer.
I wouldn't say that, not every rank 3 deck wants to be milling stuff. I wouldn't run it in, say 3 axis fire fists for example

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Damn, all that new Red-Eyes support! Then they finally put out Hermos and Critias. Even Toons get support! Though as a Cyber player, Toon Cyber Dragon is disappointing.

Though as a Cyber player, Toon Cyber Dragon is disappointing.
Didn't you already get Cyber Dragon Infinity which eats your opponent's monsters for material? You just sound greedy :]

But in all seriousness, I am loving the new Red-Eyes support; every new card just increases my anticipation. You think there's any chance of fitting in Pendulums and Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, if only for the lols of using a main character's card? If nothing else it seems like a nice way to use the inevitable Red-Eyes or Fiend you draw into without having to use Red-Eyes Fusion using hand material, which seems like a waste.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Didn't you already get Cyber Dragon Infinity which eats your opponent's monsters for material? You just sound greedy :]

But in all seriousness, I am loving the new Red-Eyes support; every new card just increases my anticipation. You think there's any chance of fitting in Pendulums and Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon, if only for the lols of using a main character's card? If nothing else it seems like a nice way to use the inevitable Red-Eyes or Fiend you draw into without having to use Red-Eyes Fusion using hand material, which seems like a waste.
Don't know about using Pendulums for the Odd-Eyes Xyz. And yes, the new Red-Eyes stuff is simply amazing. But lawl at Red-Eyes Xyz being a generic Rank 7; splash it in Harpie's and you have the shipping!

Also, back off! I'll be as greedy as I want! I'm not getting Infinity or Rampage any time soon courtesy of OCG premiers!!! ;-;

jrp

Banned deucer.
holy shit rip shaddolls in ocg 2014-2015

drulers gone is fine, red eyes stuff looks really fucking cool. I'm waiting to see what fusions we get for the legendary knights before i get excited. toon stuff seems really cool as well

religiousjedi

Old man.
holy shit rip shaddolls in ocg 2014-2015

drulers gone is fine, red eyes stuff looks really fucking cool. I'm waiting to see what fusions we get for the legendary knights before i get excited. toon stuff seems really cool as well
In all the hoopla of Red-Eyes, Toons, and Legendary Dragons of Atlantis, I almost forgot that Konami finally put down those Dragon Rulers. Also, may El Shaddoll Construct rest in peace. ;-;

I don't play OCG, but i'm just going to salute the Dragon Rulers one last time. They brought me so many easy wins. Thank you for everything.

On a serious note, they should be banned in the TCG too. Not because they're broken but because I want other cards to comeback to three.

What pendulums do I need to get?
I believe there are only two notable Pendulum Archetypes in the TCG right now: Normal Pendulums and Qliphorts. I'd wait until the new TCG ban list is announced before buying Qlis, but Normal Pendulums are dirt cheap; nothing in the engine costs more than a dollar on TCG player. If you want, you can also wait for Crossed Souls to come out, which I believe has the Zefra archetype. Not sure if they're good for a standalone deck, but they do give a lot of other decks Pendulum support

jrp

Banned deucer.
zefras are going to be neat as a standalone deck once we get them. they're a good synchro deck since one of the yang zing zefras lets you treat any zefra as a tuner, and you get stuff for synchroing and xyzing while their field spell is in play. They also get their own infernity barrier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)