Other The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition (Discussing Gardevoir sets) Check Post #920

Status
Not open for further replies.
counter allows metagross to do more damage than it normally would to its offensive checks, such as metagross, gallade, jolly talonflame, av azu, and (mega)scizor.
Pretty sure you meant Conkeldurr lol.

Anyways, here we go!

Stallbreaker Conkeldurr

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 228 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Toxic

This set is used to lure in and cripple mons that are mostly found on stall teams with a combination of Knock Off (to get rid of Leftovers, Eviolite and other annoying items), Taunt (to deny their access to recovery, status inducing moves, entry hazards, etc.) and Toxic (to status common switch-ins like physical walls and such). Drain Punch is essential for Conkeldurr's last move as a mean to stay as healthy as possible throughout the match and is helpful to drain away a mon's health while it can't use recovery moves and such. Leftovers is chosen for the itemslot for more longetivity.

At first, I thought of using Fling + Toxic Orb to cripple Mega Sableye (a mon it couldn't touch before), but since Toxic Orb diminishes Conkeldurr's lifespan and Fling works only once, it's a generally lesser option. Now, it still can't do anything to Mega Sableye, but it can cripple many would-be checks/counters such as Landorus-T, [Mega] Slowbro (unless it's CroBro, but then again, Conkeldurr has Taunt), Hippowdon, Mandibuzz, Alomomola and others.

The given EV spread maximizes Conk's Atk stat, enables it to outspeed and Taunt/poison Hippowdon, gives it a Leftovers number and makes it tank special hits better (though I'm not quite sure it's the optimal spread for its stallbreaking purposes).

Last edited:
I got a fun one for conk

534.gif
Offensive Rest-Talk Conkeldurr
zzzz (Conkeldurr) @ Leftovers / Fist Plate
EVs: 232 HP / 236 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off / Ice Punch / Poison Jab

Now, I know what you're thinking, why would you use rest-talk on a pokemon like conkeldurr, who has an average at best defensive typing, meh special bulk and who already struggles to fit four moves in as is and has no room for new moves? The answer is simple, Guts. In case anybody doesn't know, Guts activates through all status conditions, even self inflicted ones (which is why toxic orb and flame orb work like they do), so every time Conk goes to sleep, it gets a nice and easy +1 boost to its attacks. As most of you know, conk hits VERY hard with a Guts boost, and being able to achieve this boost without either a) predicting a random status move or b) using a status inducing orb, which greatly decreases conk's impressive bulk and harms its survivability, is absolutely amazing. Moves are simple, Rest and Sleep talk for the good ol' rest-talk combo, Drain Punch for a reliable STAB move which heals you up and hits very hard with guts boost, and the last slot is team dependent. Knock off hits Psychic and Ghost types, as well as being a very spam able move which you can afford to roll when sleep talking without much drawback, ice punch for annoying Landos/Gliscors/Chomps, or Posion Jab for fairies. I would personally recommend Knock off, but if your team appreciates fairys or landos being lured in, by all means use one of the other moves. As for EV's, Speed is to out-speed 0 speed chansey, HP investment is to survive a +2 Jolly LO iron head from Bisharp 100% of the time, and the rest is dumped into attack to hit like a truck while asleep. The item choice is either lefties for survivability or fist plate for a powered up STAB move.

Also, I remembered to check the Gen 5 analyses this time firehusky n_n

SubPunch Conkeldurr

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpD / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch / Mach Punch

A different approach to offensive Conkeldurr, SubPunch.
Substitute allows you to abuse switches and gain momentum and nail something the next turn, Focus Punch is the hardest hitting move here, which can put a huge dent into physical walls, while Knock Off is the best move in the game necessary coverage to not get walled completely by bulky Psychics or Ghosts. The last move is down to preference, Mach Punch for hitting faster targets, while Drain Punch allows for extra recovery.

The EV spread puts Conkeldurr at a Leftovers number, maximises Attack, speedcreeps Choice Band Azumarill and the rest of it was dumped into Special Defense.
If abusing Sub, why not run Iron Fist for more consistent power? People don't status Conk willingly after all.

Pretty sure you meant Conkeldurr lol.

Anyways, here we go!

Stallbreaker Conkeldurr

Conkeldurr @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Fling

This set is used to cripple mons that are mostly found on stall teams with a combination of Knock Off (to get rid of Leftovers, Eviolite and other annoying items), Taunt (to deny their access to recovery, status inducing moves, entry hazards, etc.) and Fling (to status one mon that gives it trouble (if only it could learn Psycho Shift)). Drain Punch is essential for Conkeldurr's last move as it gains back its lost HP from its poisoned/burned status and is helpful to drain away a mon's health while it can't use recovery moves and such (not to mention it somewhat adds more bulk to Conkeldurr).

Now, you might ask yourself "why would I use Fling with a Toxic Orb when I could just use Toxic to poison many targets instead of just one?" (well, maybe not exactly like that, but you know what I mean) and that would be a legitimate question. To that, I would say it is to cripple one of its biggest (if not the biggest) would-be counters: Mega Sableye. Due to its ability, M-Sableye is [almost] unstatusable (if that's a word. If not, it seems I just invented it), but when Conkeldurr uses Fling (something M-Sableye will never see coming), it'll cripple the little rascal beyond repair. If it has a cleric teammate (which it will if it's/they're not already KOed), it'll get Taunted by Conk on the switch.

Choosing between which Orb to use for the itemslot is based on the mons you want to cripple and if you intend to keep Conkeldurr on the field for more or less than three consecutive turns. Toxic Orb is preferred over Flame Orb since most stall mons are more affected by a poison than a burn via Fling and so, it will get more use for its stallbreaking purposes, but Flame Orb is still a valid option if you also want it to deal with troublesome physical attackers.

The given EV spread maximizes Conk's Atk stat, enables it to outspeed and Taunt/poison/burn Hippowdon, and makes it tank special hits better.
I think this would do better with toxic and lefties. It's a stall breaker set and a lot of stall mons already use a status move, whether it would be wisp or toxic. Lefties gives him a lot more longevity and you could toxic things like hippo on the switch in. Toxic will go further than flinging a toxic orb. Remember, being paralyzed or burned is better than being toxiced. Gotta instill that fear. Fling cripples mega sableye but I'd rather use a fairy or mega gyarados instead. It works as a lure for one poke but id rather him be scarier to more pokes

I think this would do better with toxic and lefties. It's a stall breaker set and a lot of stall mons already use a status move, whether it would be wisp or toxic. Lefties gives him a lot more longevity and you could toxic things like hippo on the switch in. Toxic will go further than flinging a toxic orb. Remember, being paralyzed or burned is better than being toxiced. Gotta instill that fear. Fling cripples mega sableye but I'd rather use a fairy or mega gyarados instead. It works as a lure for one poke but id rather him be scarier to more pokes
Yeah I wasn't sure if Toxic would be better at first (I was tired af and had a sudden wild idea), but you convinced me. I'll edit it now. Also, I'm not sure if the EV spread is optimal for its stallbreaking purpose. Can you or anyone else suggest a spread that would be a better fit for it?

This Mon was a bit harder to come up with a legit set outside of assault vest, considering it can check so many more threats with assault vest, but i'll try and give this one a shot.

Enter Bulk Up Conkeldurr:

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe or 248 HP / 136 SpD / 124 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Ice Punch / Mach Punch

The premise of this set is to setup on mons such as Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, Mew, and Alomomola to name a few. The point of this set is to set up Bulk Ups to the point where it can proceed to sweep the opposing team, and with the addition of leftovers recovery, it can be much more durable than assault vest variants. Bulk Up allows Conkeldurr to take some powerful hits to my suprise, as it takes roughly 45-53% from Non-CB Azumarill at +2, which is where the speed ev's come into play to outspeed AV azumarill, and proceed to OHKO it with a +2 poison jab after rocks. 124 spe ev's can be run to outspeed uninvested Clefable if outspeeding it peaks your interest, as +1 Conk beats MG Clefable on the switch (94% chance of 2hko'ing 252 HP/252 def MG Clefs at +1), however you lose out on some much-needed special bulk. One significant downfall of this set is that it lacks the initial firepower of AV Conkeldurr, so don't be suprised if you're disappointed by it's unboosted damage. In addition, it can't quite take as many powerful special attacks as it can with AV, such as Thundurus t-bolt, Heatran fire blast, and Gengar sludge wave to name a few. All in all, Bulk Up Conkeldurr is an interesting win condition in that it is very difficult to take down akin to CroCune, and can definitely clean unprepared teams if its checks and counters are removed from the match. BU Conkeldurr is completely shut down by mega sableye, unaware mons, and powerful special attackers in general, so support to deal with these threats are necessary for a Conk sweep.

Some Calcs:

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill (AV) Play Rough vs. +2 248 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 186-222 (45 - 53.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Assuming Bulk Up upon switch-in and then BU again)
+2 0 Atk Conkeldurr Poison Jab vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 370-436 (92.2 - 108.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +1 248 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 326-386 (78.9 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (If Conk is healthy it can avoid being revenge killed by Talonflame barring any crits)
+1 0 Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 88 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 185-218 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 124-147 (30 - 35.5%) -- 31.7% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery (Conk can setup relatively well on Hippo)
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 127-151 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (Again, relatively easy mon to setup on)

Last edited:
Wall Demolisher Conkeldurr:

Conkeldurr @ Choice Band
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Conkeldurr's amazing 140 base attack makes it a great wallbreaker, and choice band gets even more power than standard Conk. Guts is favoured over iron fist so Conk can take on Mew and Rotom-W without fearing a burn, and beat them with the appropriate move. Drain Punch is a good power move with healing, so Conk can break multiple walls per game. Knock off deals with bulky Psychics like Mew and Slowbro, while Ice punch hits Gliscor and Hippowdon. Fighting is a great wallbreaking STAB as it hits Ferrothorn, Heatran, roosting Skarm and Mandibuzz and has P.Good neutral coverage. Mach Punch allows you to revenge offensive pokes, while the speed EVs creep Chansey so you can kill it before it S-Tosses/toxics. It makes a great switchin to status moves, as nothing wants to be tanking a CB, guts boosted hit from max base 140 attack.

252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 288-338 (81.8 - 96%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 564-666 (87.8 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew: 302-356 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 352-416 (99.4 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (never use max def Gliscor tho)
252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 151-178 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 252-298 (63.9 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 442-522 (112.4 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 292-344 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 210-247 (51.9 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 378-446 (95.9 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 265-313 (50 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 436-514 (100.9 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 226-267 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 131-155 (43 - 50.9%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 226-267 (57.3 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon: 207-244 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Funny that a mon that looks like a builder is such a great wallbreaker.

Last edited:
firehusky Where is my set? I posted it @ post 528 and you didn't reject it.
I asked for an explanation of the EV spread, it's probably my fault that I forgot to add it but you can't just post a moveset without an explanation of the EV spread, as it's a huge part of how the set will work. I'll add it now, but next time explain the EV spread.

Ok, so right now we have a tie between Teeny Victory and s0me1 b0red's sets, it would be nice if someone could do the tiebreaking vote between these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)