2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
The Atlético-Bayer game ended up being a closer than I expected. Penalties are always exciting as a neutral, Leno was the better keeper but Bayer's penalty takers let them down.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You can always fail an penalty, but Calhanoglu and Toprak were not even trying :S

And Leno showed, why he is saving 50% of all penalties in the Bundesliga

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Went to the Vicente Calderon today, and if being the home team ever gives an advantage, that's at the penalty shootout. The pressure the stadium made when Leverkusen was going to shoot was impressive, not surprised Calhanoglu, Toprak and Kiessling shot that badly.

My heart is broken though :(

Oof pens rip, a cruel way to be eliminated. But hey, at least we now know that Real Madrid and Barcelona are cringing at the idea of playing Atletico Madrid. Not that it's guaranteed they'll play both, or either, but I want to see them in the final again, this time against Bayern Munich the current best team in the world right now imo.

HBK

Dortmund are out :( They never had even the slightest chance of winning the whole thing but I expected them to knock Juve out at least. Next year's gonna be weird, can't imagine Champions League football without them with their signature yellow kit :( Like Arsenal, City were pretty much out already. Everyone sucked with the exception of Hart, he was on another level. Nice dive from Agüero and an even nicer penalty. I was surprised to see it given, the dive was clear as day.

Oof pens rip, a cruel way to be eliminated. But hey, at least we now know that Real Madrid and Barcelona are cringing at the idea of playing Atletico Madrid. Not that it's guaranteed they'll play both, or either, but I want to see them in the final again, this time against Bayern Munich the current best team in the world right now imo.
if barca play atletico they will beat them as they have every single game this season. real vs atleti would be a better matchup imo.. atletico have had real's number as of late, not losing to them once this season.

Dortmund are out :( They never had even the slightest chance of winning the whole thing but I expected them to knock Juve out at least. Next year's gonna be weird, can't imagine Champions League football without them with their signature yellow kit :( Like Arsenal, City were pretty much out already. Everyone sucked with the exception of Hart, he was on another level. Nice dive from Agüero and an even nicer penalty. I was surprised to see it given, the dive was clear as day.
Despite Dortmund being a terrible team I thought they'd beat Juventus because Juve are completely heinous in the CL, as are basically all Italian teams since Mourinho stole the soul of them a few years ago I think

HBK

Barely. Aké, Loftus-Cheek, Brown and Christensen are technically part of the first team but Mourinho has never been the kind of manager to promote young players, he's not like Wenger or Rodgers but I wish he were. The general policy is to loan them from club to club before they're sold, especially if they're good and the profits go towards buying established stars.

PSG vs Barca
Atletico vs RM
Porto vs Bayern
Juve
vs Monaco

PSG vs Barca and Atletico vs Real are two very interesting Matches. I think Barca will beat PSG since they're in an amazing condition but it should be very close. I think Athletico vs Real will be even closer but if Real will play like they did against Schalke in the second game, Atletico will probably win. Bayern vs Port and Juve vs Monaco shouldn't be that close.

PSG vs Barca
Atletico vs RM
Porto vs Bayern
Juve
vs Monaco

PSG vs Barca and Atletico vs Real are two very interesting Matches. I think Barca will beat PSG since they're in an amazing condition but it should be very close. I think Athletico vs Real will be even closer but if Real will play like they did against Schalke in the second game, Atletico will probably win. Bayern vs Port and Juve vs Monaco shouldn't be that close.
Bayern Munich should comfortably win, but let's not forget that even though Monaco are generally limited in attack, they still have very good defensive solidity apart from the 2nd leg, and it won't be easy for Juventus to score many goals (I still think Juventus will advance though).

Last edited:
I don't think people should sleep on Porto. Porto have a very nice squad and players like Brahimi, Tello, and Herrera have been playing great recently. They should also have Jackson Martinez back from injury by then. I reckon Porto can give Bayern a run for their money.

I don't think people should sleep on Porto. Porto have a very nice squad and players like Brahimi, Tello, and Herrera have been playing great recently. They should also have Jackson Martinez back from injury by then. I reckon Porto can give Bayern a run for their money.
i agree... i think porto/bayern will be closer than most people expect. i could see porto getting at least an away goal. i dont think bayern will do anything close to the thrashing they gave shakhtar.

psg in the first leg without verratti and ibra will be huge. arguably their 2 most important players. barca will advance with a comfortable lead from the first leg.

i would love if atletico are able to defeat real. but i think real madrid will really get their shit together and win one against atleti this season when it matters most. all of their key players will be back from injury, however you can never count out simeone, tactically he's as good as anyone. will be the best matches of the QFinals.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
PSG vs Barca
Atletico vs Real Madrid
FC Porto vs Bayern
Juventus
vs Monaco

hopefully atletico beats real though, i wanna see more of koke. Barca are nuts atm and should beat psg if they dont turn shit somehow. bayern should win comfortably, and so should juventus. part of me wants to see an fcp v monaco final, 2003/04 season repeat!!!

Good el classico overall, it was pretty typical of one. Both teams playing their usual game and of course the dark arts were present. There was a 30 min period in the first half where Barcelona couldn't hold onto the ball and Real Madrid were on them quick, but that completely turned around at halftime. Barcelona could have won by more if they were more clinical in the final third, but they won't care about that now. Also, the referee was good overall.

HBK

Barça were the better team overall and deserved to win, Suarez took his goal really well. And Mascherano seemed to think he's a really good actor just because he resembles Jon Cryer rofl.

Reactions: pj
Barça were the better team overall and deserved to win, Suarez took his goal really well. And Mascherano seemed to think he's a really good actor just because he resembles Jon Cryer rofl.
Yes, they were since they were on the front foot for the entire second half. Real Madrid couldn't keep the ball beyond midfield and Barcelona were always attacking in numbers from those situations.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"oh no we lost lallana lets call up the worst cm in the premier league"

some amazing decisions have to happen to result in a mason call up... a dm who tries to play aggressively with the ball but is bad at it and is absolutely terrible defensively because he just runs around randomly and wont pick up attackers ever is exactly what england needs!

"oh no we lost lallana lets call up the worst cm in the premier league"

some amazing decisions have to happen to result in a mason call up... a dm who tries to play aggressively with the ball but is bad at it and is absolutely terrible defensively because he just runs around randomly and wont pick up attackers ever is exactly what england needs!
pretty sure he won't get minutes anyway, also England have yet to produce a good enough defensive midfielder since Owen Hargreaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)