XY OU New Meta (OU RMT)

This is my first RMT post here on Smogon, and I'm looking for some opinions on this team. I wanted to share this team because it works very well for countering many common OU threats and I wanted to share this with you guys.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- ThunderPunch
- Agility
- Zen Headbutt

This Mega Metagross set acts as a good late game clean up or softens up the opponents team if I need it to. Metagross really puts the hurt on Mega Altaria, Slowbro and Skarmory and after Agility you can out speed base 110 Choice Scarf users. Thunder Punch is ran here to avoid being walled by Slowbro or Skarmory.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 132 Atk / 132 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Acrobatics
- Fling
- Earthquake

The physical wall of the team, Gliscor is amazing at taking hits and stalling the opponent, and works as a great way of taking care of threats like offensive Landorus-T and Talonflame. Gliscor also can out stall Chansey with this set, as well as Toxic Mega Sableye with Fling, which is always a bonus. Kind of a one trick pony, but gets it's job done.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W is the special wall of the team, and while not necessarily meant to counter anything in particular it makes a great core with Gliscor and takes the Water and Ice type hits that normally would KO Gliscor. Rotom-W does wall Heatran if it doesn’t carry Toxic, and Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple physical attackers.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest

Shaymin is a counter to Rotom-W, Heatran, Defensive Landorus-T, Tyranitar, Slowbro and Dragon types 4x weak to Ice. The Speed investment lets you out speed base 80 max Speed Pokemon like Dragonite with max Special Attack for damage and the rest dumped in HP. Rest+Natural Cure is also great for longevity purposes.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Sylveon like Rotom-W isn’t meant to counter much in particular besides what it usually counters, which is Keldeo, choice locked Dragon types and Mega Sceptile. Sylveon just acts as a way for this team to gain recovery by Wish passing and using Heal Bell to recover from status which would otherwise destroy this team. Be careful however, as if you Heal Bell after you Fling Gliscor's Toxic Orb that really cuts Gliscor's stalling power at the knees.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Finally is Choice Scarf Terrakion, which is used counter fast threats like non Scarfed Latios, Excadrill, Mega Sharpedo, Mega Pinsir, Mega Manectric, and fast threats in general. Terrakion also is good for dealing with walls like Ferrothorn, Chansey and Latias, but it’s not adviced to use Terrakion on these walls at full health, as these walls can take one of Terrakion’s hits and can dish out something nasty back at Terrakion.

Weaknesses:

Hazards: While nothing on this team is particularly weak to hazards like Stealth Rocks, Spikes and Sticky Web, this team has no way to remove them and the damage does rack up over time.

Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn presents a huge problem to this team as none of the Pokemon can take out Ferrothorn productively. Terrakion and Gliscor are the best options, but Terrakion must take large amounts of damage to do so and Gliscor can only out stall if the Ferrothorn doesn’t have Leech Seed.

Feel free to leave any suggestions down below, and since I'm still a noob at this I'll leave an importable version of this team below.

=== [ou] New Meta ===
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Agility
- Zen Headbutt
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 132 Atk / 132 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Acrobatics
- Fling
- Earthquake
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Shaymin @ Life Orb
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Hmm, this is my first rating so bare with me in this one.

I'm wondering why you have fling in gliscore. Toxic does the same thing but can be used multiple times and doesn't take away gliscore's healing factor.

I feel like you could overcome your weakness to ferrothorn by giving fire punch to metagross. You really don't need thunder punch because you said it yourself shaymin counters slowbro, while fire punch will Handel your scarmory worries. While were in the mood of working on metagross, why not think about replacing agility with stealth rocks. Just a thought.

Let me say that I love your sylvion. It works in perfect conjunction with your shaymin running rest.

You diddnt bother to tell us which pokemon was your lead. Not only that but it would clarify if u used more terms, example: terrakion is your sweeper, and sylvion is your cleric.

Overall you have a balanced team. You have some good offensive tools, and some nifty defensive ones to help you stick around. Hope this was useful.

Hmm, this is my first rating so bare with me in this one.

I'm wondering why you have fling in gliscore. Toxic does the same thing but can be used multiple times and doesn't take away gliscore's healing factor.
Once you are Toxic'd, Poison Heal activates, so you can use fling to Toxic something and increase the power of Acrobatics.

I feel like you could overcome your weakness to ferrothorn by giving fire punch to metagross. You really don't need thunder punch because you said it yourself shaymin counters slowbro, while fire punch will Handel your scarmory worries. While were in the mood of working on metagross, why not think about replacing agility with stealth rocks. Just a thought.
Metagross doesn't get Fire Punch.

Mostly wanted to get that out of the way, but I wanted to mention that in addition to a lack of hazard removal (I'm glad you noticed it was an issue) you should also try and fit some form of entry hazards yourself. If I get a chance I'll give the team a more thorough lookover.

But keep in mind that sylvion's heal bell will take away the poison status. And I diddnt realize that acrobatics was stronger with no item. I wish you would have stated that in your paragraph.
I did. It was in the first and only line responding to your question of why he uses Fling. I'm also not a huge fan of Fling myself, but I thought I'd at least explain the logic behind it, though you are right that it tends not to be that great in conjunction with Heal Bell users.

Last edited:
Once you are Toxic'd, Poison Heal activates, so you can use fling to Toxic something and increase the power of Acrobatics.

Metagross doesn't get Fire Punch.

Mostly wanted to get that out of the way, but I wanted to mention that in addition to a lack of hazard removal (I'm glad you noticed it was an issue) you should also try and fit some form of entry hazards yourself. If I get a chance I'll give the team a more thorough lookover.
But keep in mind that sylvion's heal bell will take away the poison status. And I diddnt realize that acrobatics was stronger with no item. I wish you would have stated that in your paragraph.

Sry about the metagross thing, I assumed that since u put thunder punch and ice punch that he would get fire punch. You could always give metagross hidden power fire but it would be weak. I tried using agility metagross but it just turned out I needed a pivot more than a sweeper.

Hey, man. First of all, I'm not all that fond of your Megagross set. I know it's RP, but even for that it's slow. I'd advise running the good ol' 176 speed Mega Meta in order to outspeed neutral base 100s pre-set up since you're not always going to have the opportunity to get an RP up and you'd want your Megagross to be functional even without a set up too. Thunderpunch is also generally outclassed by Grass Knot which can deal more damage to fat Waters who threaten you like Slowbro.
Yeah, Fling + Heal Bell is also not a good idea because your Glis will lose his recovery with his status cured, recovery you can't get back after a fling. Sylve is also generally a sub-par cleric compared to Clef anyway and all-in-all I'm not entirely sure how useful a cleric is on this team, especially since you're out of hazard setting which is more important, removal isn't vital given that you have no major Rocks weakness, but getting them up matters, hazards should take priority on things needed on this team. I'm not all that sure what to give you as a hazard setter though since a lot of the good options would just make you weaker to certain types, like running a Chomp or Lando gives you three ice weaknesses, T-Tar and Infernape gives you three Water weaknesses, Skarm is way too passive, etc. You could maybe run Rock setter Clef. Keeps your Fairy coverage, Magic Guard as a status sponge, and gives you hazards. I think it would fit better than Sylve on that basis.
This next suggestion may be gimmicky, but I'd say run Celebi over Shaymin. The reason being Celebi has access to Baton Pass which is helpful even without set-up passing for gaining switch initiative and keeping momentum. It also lets you escape Pursuit trapping from T-Tar and Bisharp and you can send in Terrakion to take them and get a nice little justified boost. Gimmicky, I know, but it has happened to me and it's easy to take advantage off; overall I think BP does have useful utility on this team.
Hope this helped. :]

Meatier Mash (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot
- Agility
- Zen Headbutt

The Fabled Clef (Clefable) @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Onion (Celebi) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Baton Pass
- Recover

Thanks a lot guys! After reading some of the responses I thought I'd clarify a little more on some things. The only reason I am running Fling on Gliscor is simply because it gives me a check to M-Sableye as it does not get affected by Magic Bounce. If Sablenite does get banned to Ubers as rumored, I'll most likely start running Toxic on Gliscor. Sylveon is a similar story, as it not only hits Sableye harder but walls Sub Mega Sceptile and Sub Keldeo as well. I'll definitely try out the suggestions, and sorry for not adding those bits in the initial post.

Have you thought about putting Hammer Arm on Metagross instead of TPunch?
It may sound counter productive with Rock Polish, but with Roost Skarmory will just eat up TPunches

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 136-160 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

At least with Hammer Arm, you can "out slow" Skarm (Then set up the next time you're in) and also beat Ferrothorn.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 206-244 (58.5 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
^ That's the absolute minimum you'll be doing

Not entirely sure about the viability of Hammer Arm on an Agility/RP Megagross, since if the aim is to boost your speed then you don't want your moves to drop it. Don't get me wrong, Hammer Arm is great coverage, but more for all-out attacker as opposed to this set.

One more thing, I'd suggest physically defensive Rotom-W. I have no idea what the purpose of SpD Rotom is, I know back in the day is was decent for Greninja but now it's a bit of a waste. I'd advise physically defensive since you have no answer to Birdspam.

Additionally I think Mega Shiny-Eyeballs is being blown way out of proportion again; while I do like the Fling + Acrobatics combo, you don't need to go out of your way to handle Sparkly-Peepers quite so much. If anything try Unaware Clef over the Magic Guard set I linked (same set only Moonlight over Softboiled, Lefties and no Life Orb, and obviously Unaware), one of the best answers to Sableye out there.

Not entirely sure about the viability of Hammer Arm on an Agility/RP Megagross, since if the aim is to boost your speed then you don't want your moves to drop it. Don't get me wrong, Hammer Arm is great coverage, but more for all-out attacker as opposed to this set.

One more thing, I'd suggest physically defensive Rotom-W. I have no idea what the purpose of SpD Rotom is, I know back in the day is was decent for Greninja but now it's a bit of a waste. I'd advise physically defensive since you have no answer to Birdspam.

Additionally I think Mega Shiny-Eyeballs is being blown way out of proportion again; while I do like the Fling + Acrobatics combo, you don't need to go out of your way to handle Sparkly-Peepers quite so much. If anything try Unaware Clef over the Magic Guard set I linked (same set only Moonlight over Softboiled, Lefties and no Life Orb, and obviously Unaware), one of the best answers to Sableye out there.
Sp.D Rotom is there because it cores well with Gliscor, but you raise a great point with the lack of dedicated TFlame counter so I'll do some testing and see if Defensive Rotom works better. I'll probably run Toxic on Gliscor too, but that also means I need to replace Acrobatics with another move too. Maybe Knock Off?

Clefable is definitely replacing Sylveon on the team after reading the responses. I can't think of a reason not to run it after you brought it to my attention, so thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Metagross is a bit of a connundrum as there's always something that walls it out, but I think Thunder Punch gives the best based on my set and teams. I'll try out your Grass Knot set and see if it works any better, and maybe a Hone Claw+Hammer Arm since I've seen Hammer Arm suggested as well.

I probably won't be using the Celebi, as while I like the idea behind it adding a second Psychic type to my team will give me a weakness to Dark types that only Terrakion can really handle. Thank you and everyone else for the suggestions though!

Sp.D Rotom is there because it cores well with Gliscor, but you raise a great point with the lack of dedicated TFlame counter so I'll do some testing and see if Defensive Rotom works better. I'll probably run Toxic on Gliscor too, but that also means I need to replace Acrobatics with another move too. Maybe Knock Off?
I believe this is what you're after:

Circumcise (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 200 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Facade
- Roost
- Swords Dance / Taunt
SpD stallbreaker Gliscor, the most popular set right now iirc. Synergises well with Rotom, breaks stall which looks like you might be a little stretched to manage, and generally performs well in many situations. I'd recommend trying it at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)