Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What sort of offensive Steel or Poison types are good right about now? Is Arbok worth a shot?
Mawile is one of the best offensive steel types, and garbodor tends to run a defensive set and spread but offensive Garbo isn't bad. Klinklang is also another excellent offensive steel type that has solid coverage between its stab gear grind and return, and loves steelix leaving.
Arbok seems alright with steelix gone as it has EQ and seed bomb to hit common poison resists as well as sucker punch for faster mons and such. On paper it seems decent, but not sure how well it'll do in practice.
E: offensive plume isn't that gr8 imo but Haunter is pretty underrated

Last edited:

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
What sort of offensive Steel or Poison types are good right about now? Is Arbok worth a shot?
As for offensive Steel-types, Mawile and Klinklang are probably the best at the moment (Pawniard too but it doesn't resist Dazzling Gleam), and offensive Poison-types would be Life Orb Vileplume (though Mega Audino can actually beat it if it Calm Minds on the switch and has really lucky Sleep Talk rolls), Haunter (Scarf variants lose but LO and Taunt/Disable variants win), and idk, Gunk Shot Frogadier(?). Arbok sounds decent enough with Gunk Shot / Aqua Tail | Earthquake /Sucker Punch coverage, but I've never tried it
Also ninja'd

Muk is also an interesting offensive poison type now that Mega Lix has left. I've been playing around with it and it's not too bad!
Qwilfish being gone benefits it even more. The recent changes have been really kind to it.

I'd also say that Muk is usually a better option than Arbok for its higher attack, bulk and ability to easily spread status. We also have better Intimidate users in Granbull and Mawile. Arbok does at least have access to Sucker Punch and better overall coverage through EQ, especially since Muk's Ice Punch being SE against Dragon is almost completely irrelevant.

What are the best counters to mega camerupt right now? The best one I can think of off the top of my head is Mantine, but surely there are others.

What are the best counters to mega camerupt right now? The best one I can think of off the top of my head is Mantine, but surely there are others.
Basically what tcw said plus flash fire mons on balloon work like Typhlosion and Ninetails. AV politoed can work too if you're into innovation and that kind of stuff.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Basically what tcw said plus flash fire mons on balloon work like Typhlosion and Ninetails. AV politoed can work too if you're into innovation and that kind of stuff.
I'd highly reccomend AV Politoed it's honestly not that bad, lol. I ended up using it on a team I built recently and I was presently surprised by its power and bulk :]

I used to run a HO sand team of
hippopotas/stoutland/mega-steelix/sandslash/magmortar/articuno
the team worked really well, i got to 180~ on the ladder, stoutland and mega-lix were great partners and were able to beat each others checks pretty easily. Now that mega-lix has left the tier, the team is having trouble getting back on it's feet.
I've tried using Ferroseed, but it was too defensive and couldn't force enough switches. Also, having 2 eviolite mons on the same team meant i was in big trouble if they lost their items.
After that, i tried offensive mawile with fire fang (i used to run fire fang on mega-lix for ferrothron) It worked a little better, but proved to be not nearly bulky enough to do what steelix could do
I'm at a dead end, what should i replace mega-lix with on a sand team?

Probopass and Mega Steelix both share the same ability, and have similar enough typing that making the switch isn't too hard. Nothing can quite compare to the raw power and bulk the Mega Steelix had, but offensive Probopass can be a nice fit.

I used to run a HO sand team of
hippopotas/stoutland/mega-steelix/sandslash/magmortar/articuno
the team worked really well, i got to 180~ on the ladder, stoutland and mega-lix were great partners and were able to beat each others checks pretty easily. Now that mega-lix has left the tier, the team is having trouble getting back on it's feet.
I've tried using Ferroseed, but it was too defensive and couldn't force enough switches. Also, having 2 eviolite mons on the same team meant i was in big trouble if they lost their items.
After that, i tried offensive mawile with fire fang (i used to run fire fang on mega-lix for ferrothron) It worked a little better, but proved to be not nearly bulky enough to do what steelix could do
I'm at a dead end, what should i replace mega-lix with on a sand team?
If you rmt the team, you should get really better suggestions than this. But in short, sand teams should be offensively inclined as because 5 turns of sand in nothing to base around a stall team with. So run smooth rock on hippo. A pursuit trapper is definitely recommended so you can spam normal moves in Stoutland. Then you have luxuries like Lead Spiking Garbodor w explosion, Sash Kadabra, Sturdy/Sash mons with spin support from Sandslash etc. I think Dentricos has a lot more experience with sand teams than me if you wanna ask him. To answer your question though, there isn't really anything that truly replaces Mega Lix lol

Hey could someone quickly tell me the main differences (pros/cons) between zangoose and ursaring (quick feet variant)?
i can't think straight and would love an answer

Hey could someone quickly tell me the main differences (pros/cons) between zangoose and ursaring (quick feet variant)?
i can't think straight and would love an answer
Quick feet Ursa is faster (base 106 after boost) but less powerful and doesn't have priority, Zangoose is more powerful, slightly slower, has access to knock off as well as alternative priority

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Quick feet Ursa is faster (base 106 after boost) but less powerful and doesn't have priority, Zangoose is more powerful, slightly slower, has access to knock off as well as alternative priority
Ursaring has base 130 Atk and Zangoose has base 115 atk. So thats actually false. Knock Off and a slightly weak Quick Attack are some of the reasons, but I think that the biggest reason that Ursaring isn't used over Zangoose is that it takes a turn for Toxic Orb to activate boosting Ursaring's speed, which means you can come in on less things without taking heavy damage.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Ursaring has base 130 Atk and Zangoose has base 115 atk. So thats actually false. Knock Off and a slightly weak Quick Attack are some of the reasons, but I think that the biggest reason that Ursaring isn't used over Zangoose is that it takes a turn for Toxic Orb to activate boosting Ursaring's speed, which means you can come in on less things without taking heavy damage.
He was referring to Zangoose having toxic boost essentially multiplying its attack by 1.5 while Ursarings Attack isn't multiplied if it has quick feet. I also wouldn't call its quick attack weak as it does around 63-75% to a Sneasel (It is essentially a 90 BP priority move on a base 115 attack mon after factoring in the boost and STAB)
Comparison:

252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 211-249 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 154-183 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Quite a noticeable difference in power is what HJAD was getting at.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
He was referring to Zangoose having toxic boost essentially multiplying its attack by 1.5 while Ursarings Attack isn't multiplied if it has quick feet. I also wouldn't call its quick attack weak as it does around 63-75% to a Sneasel (It is essentially a 90 BP priority move on a base 115 attack mon after factoring in the boost and STAB)
Comparison:

252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 211-249 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 154-183 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Quite a noticeable difference in power is what HJAD was getting at.
Yah, that's true. I just woke up when I replied to that and I guess I combined quick feet and guts together :^)

so basically ursaring is a bit faster, but also weaker and without priority?
Zangoose is definitely a better pokemon overall, but Ursaring definitely has more differentiation then you are accrediting it with. To start off with, the jump in Speed is pretty major especially in NU, as it cannot be reliably revenged by Typhlosion, Scyther, Mismagius, and other common fastmons who otherwise can get around Zangoose with little to no problem. Furthermore, the jump in Bulk also makes Swords Dance a viable option, unlike Zangoose who relies on a forced switch to get a setup in. Finally, Ursaring also has cooler coverage moves in Seed Bomb, Earthquake, Thunder Punch, and Fire Punch, giving it an array of moves to choose from outside of the standard Close Combat should it wish to seek coverage for a different pokemon.

Reactions: bsu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)