np: UU Stage 2.1 - You Are Invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually in my opinion Contrary can kind of compare to Moxie,rather its like an improved version of Moxie where getting a KO is not a prerequisite to begin your sweep,the moment Serperior gets in it immediately exerts pressure on the opponent especially considering how easy Serperior is to get in the battle owing to the abundance of bulky waters. A simple double switch will more than often put you in a position to command the game and versus most of the bulky waters especially you have absolutely no problems predicting the incoming Crobat,Mega Pidgeot,Mega Aerodactyl especially seeing how rare Ice Beam is as a coverage move on the bulky waters that dominate the tier such as Swampert and Suicune. You might say its a 50/50 but its a 50/50 that is vastly stacked in the favor of the Serperior user,and the onus is on the player of the opposing team to make reactionary plays which more often than not will put them on the back foot. The thing that really makes it look broken to me though is how it can cripple even its best checks,leaving them vulnerable on the next switch in. Obviously the set of champions argument where Serperior has all of Taunt,HP:Fire,HP:ice,Synthesis,Leaf Storm,Substitute,holds absolutely no credence,because it obviously can't run all of those at once,but the thing is it doesn't need to. It has its niche in Contrary but it does it so well that even if you know in advance whats coming you may not necessarily be able to put a stop to it. And to those saying that it encourages a less stall-infested more prediction based metagame, I do agree to a certain extent,but do you really think that a Pokemon that almost single handedly can make Stall unviable while at the same time maintaining a great speed tier should be allowed in the UU metagame? I have already voted ban to put an end to this snake's reign of terror in UU, I only hope that you will all do the same!

Actually in my opinion Contrary can kind of compare to Moxie,rather its like an improved version of Moxie where getting a KO is not a prerequisite to begin your sweep,the moment Serperior gets in it immediately exerts pressure on the opponent especially considering how easy Serperior is to get in the battle owing to the abundance of bulky waters. A simple double switch will more than often put you in a position to command the game and versus most of the bulky waters especially you have absolutely no problems predicting the incoming Crobat,Mega Pidgeot,Mega Aerodactyl especially seeing how rare Ice Beam is as a coverage move on the bulky waters that dominate the tier such as Swampert and Suicune. You might say its a 50/50 but its a 50/50 that is vastly stacked in the favor of the Serperior user,and the onus is on the player of the opposing team to make reactionary plays which more often than not will put them on the back foot. The thing that really makes it look broken to me though is how it can cripple even its best checks,leaving them vulnerable on the next switch in. Obviously the set of champions argument where Serperior has all of Taunt,HP:Fire,HP:ice,Synthesis,Leaf Storm,Substitute,holds absolutely no credence,because it obviously can't run all of those at once,but the thing is it doesn't need to. It has its niche in Contrary but it does it so well that even if you know in advance whats coming you may not necessarily be able to put a stop to it. And to those saying that it encourages a less stall-infested more prediction based metagame, I do agree to a certain extent,but do you really think that a Pokemon that almost single handedly can make Stall unviable while at the same time maintaining a great speed tier should be allowed in the UU metagame? I have already voted ban to put an end to this snake's reign of terror in UU, I only hope that you will all do the same!
I dont think its more of an argument that Serp eliminates stall. Its been said before that stall could easily run amoonugs, roserade, crobat, etc.. all of them have their niches as bulky mons with great utility. Stall may even carry multiple checks to Serp. I think the fact is that you absolutely must prepare for Serpm otherwise you are almost doomed to get swept. Suicune can be played around with ie offensive grass and electric types, water absorbers, heck even trick scarf shuts it down pretty well. Suicune is always in the back of your mind when team building sinfe it is such a prominent threat in the meta and is a top tier mon.

Serp has to be actively prepared for, which already constrains team building and places an unhealthy grip on the meta where it is always in the forefront of preparing and you see the same mons on every team (Serp/ MAero vs. Crobat/Swampy). Its not just a stale meta, but it overcentralizes it 100%. Serp is good, no doubt about it though, but its effects on the meta are really bad.

So serebii just posted that HA Amaurus will be released with the latest battle competition. Dont think itll make too much of a splash, if any. and definitely not like HA tyrantrum or SF Gatr as of late.

I think all the other notable HA have been released with the exception of legendary birds and dogs. But, i think the only one that sounds good is Flash Fire Entei, but other than that...

So, what's next? Do we wait for the meta to stabilize before reintroducing something or just wait for a bit till the next couple drops? Or is there something people want voted on as of right now? I know people think Cune might be broken... Just wondering

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I definitely see Sheer Force Gatr as a potential suspect. Have you even seen the Victim of the week thread? The only existant counter is Poliwrath and not even godlike walls such as Alomomola or Crocune can take on it. Gatr's decent bulk makes it really capable of setting up and sweep offensive teams easily, while defensive teams struggle so much against it, especially the Sub SD variant. That thing is a monster.

Yeah, let's just wait for the meta to stabilize before we decide to do anything.

But honestly, I see a few outcomes of this event. Bulky waters lost their biggest check/counter so they will obviously become much better at being.....well.... Bulky waters. They will also be able to drop Ice Beam for anything else.

I see a decline in flying mons like aero, fletch, and cro as well, so an increase in what are hit by them will insure.

With the rise of bulky waters, electric and grass sweepers and wallbreakers will become much better with their biggest competitor gone.

Feraligatr is now a monster as its biggest check is now gone, but I do not see it being suspected.

I've said it multiple times on Showdown, but I do somewhat hope that Mega Heracross can get suspected. I know it's strong as all hell, but it's also pretty slow* from what I can understand so I'm wondering how that would turn out.

*I consider 273 Max Speed to be slow for the most part, since most of it's threats would more than likely outspeed.

If were gonna talk about more suspects can we talk about how stupid pidgeot is? 121 speed and no guard hurricanes coming off base 135 sp atk is just ridiculous specially when you combine that with the work up roost refresh set (stop using hurricane heat wave uturn omg). You need to have either aerodactyl (with roost), offensive empoleon, mega ampharos or sp def rotom heat (lol) to not get completely destroyed by it. Traditional speciall walls like florges, blissey and umbreon are just setup fodder and those few counters are all prone to being haxed by confusion. And thats what brings it to my next point, you cant even reliably deal with it by for example trying to beat it 1vs1 with life orb hydra by tanking the hurricane and koing back because theres a p good chance that you will get confused. It just limits teambuilding like crazy and is way too hard to deal with for any team. Suicune is also broken as shit, it just setups way too easily against like 60% of the tier and forces every team to pick from a extremely limited poll of counters (most of which are terrible and have no reason to be used aside from beating cune). This isnt even about scald anymore, its just how disgustingly fat it and the scarce of reliable counters specially after celebi and raikou left the tier. And finally we have aerodactyl who basically invalidates HO just by existing. You have to dedicate like half your team to beat it if youre planning on using offense at all, otherwise it just runs through everything. Something like swampert, bpunch lucario and a strong scarfer are pretty much mandatory to even have a chance but its still not enough because the former gets worn down like mad considering how much shit it has to check and the latter two cant even switch in. 150 speed with solid bulk and insane coverage basically makes most forms of offensive counterplay useless. You can argue that dragons forcing fairies and scarf shao forcing 2 fight resists are also extremely limitng for offense but at least you know that if you use those youre safe while aero can still clean up offense extremely easy. What makes it worse is that its still good against other team styles and the fact that its the best mega in the tier means theres pretty much no opportunity cost in using it at all. Its the definition of ''too good''.

Reactions: HT
Mega Aero being in the tier I think means Mega Pidg isn't anywhere near that bad. He revenge kills with ease, can take Hurricanes, can roost of damage if need be... against the non Work Up set I've set up with Mega Aero before, but I do think the work up set is by far the best one. It's a good poke though, reminds me a bit of Entei but with more versatility.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, thats a typical smash bros brawl post.

Also, saying mega bird jesus is broken is similar to saying that Mienfoo is broken in LC (it's not)
Mega Pidge and Foo are literally incomparable. Their roles are wildly different.

Mega Pidge and Foo are literally incomparable. Their roles are wildly different.
Yes I realize that there roles are completely different, I wasn't comparing them by roles but instead by whether or not they are broken in their respective tiers.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yes I realize that there roles are completely different, I wasn't comparing them by roles but instead by whether or not they are broken in their respective tiers.
It's still a pointless comparison. If their roles aren't similar, how they perform their roles isn't similar, how effective they are in theirs roles isn't similar, and how you deal with them as an opponent isn't similar then what's the point. There's no reason to compare them as they have nothing in common. SBB at least made a (semi) coherent argument on why these things are broken whereas a wave of the hand and an irrelevant comparison are trying to dismiss his claims without a second thought.

Please tell me this is just a vodka-fueled hallucination and this hasn't degenerated into a spamfest of troll posts.
I logged in just to "like" this post.

But not to make this just be a spam post, Feraligatr has really been putting in work. Revenge killing a healthy feraligatr is not an easy. Also I underestimated it's power. Sheer force boosted + Life Orb really hits like a truck. My next test will be using it in the Scald-less ladder. Probably one of the best ways of dealing with it. Fishing for scalds.

Gatr is 100% broken in no scald, it's a toss-up in normal UU because it switches in less easily + has to run sub to set up on waters so I'm not quite sure that it's borked there, but I'm definitely leaning towards the bork side of things.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
To be fair, SmashBB rise an interesting point regarding M-Pidgeot. The pressure M-Pidgeot applies to teams with hurricane alone is pretty silly, because of that 30% confuse chance, M-Pidgeot can muscle through plenty of its checks pretty easily since only 1 have true reliable recovery, the other has semi reliable recovery and the others are pressured by taking constant hurricanes to the face. It can be easier to take advantage of some of its checks with a sub work up set forcing them to take damage or it can just U-turn out sp a good check to your m-pidgeot check can beat it, with the all-out attacker set.

The worse part about M-Pidgeot is that it restricts teambuilding SO much, if you dont have one check or a revenge killer that can reliably kill it (only rotom-h and rotom-mow, or you may as well use jolteon) you may just lose to it at team preview sadly. I shouldnt be punished for not having a M-Aerodactyl just to deal with M-pidgeot, that isnt how it should work...

Gatr... is mighty strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)