Unpopular opinions

Pokemon Snap was fine at the height of Pokemania but hasn't aged gracefully. I don't think a Pokemon Snap sequel is a good idea, and if it must be made it should be a $15-dollar download-only title, like Dr Luigi for example.

Disclaimer: I have never played Pokemon Snap.

Pokemon Snap was fine at the height of Pokemania but hasn't aged gracefully. I don't think a Pokemon Snap sequel is a good idea, and if it must be made it should be a $15-dollar download-only title, like Dr Luigi for example.

Disclaimer: I have never played Pokemon Snap.
I agree with the last part of your statement. If it IS going to have a sequel I would see it being $15. The only reason I loved it was just how hilarious it could be when getting photos. Like how about just hucking apples and pester balls at Pokemon and seeing their reactions. Or playing the Poke Flute and Snorlax jumping up and starting to dance like it was nothing.

I have a feeling that a sequel wouldn't capture that real enduring part of the game and that it would just be a regular photography game. Sort of like how the sequels to movies, especially after it has been so long, don't capture the feel of the original and just end up bad.

Yeah, Snap is weird in that it's less a photography game and more a Rated-G railshooter. Instead of shooting to kill, you're shooting to make da magiks! I feel developers might miss the mark on that, and aim more for the former and not the latter in a sequel.

Although a remake could work if the retooled it into a Rated-G Fatal Frame, but then they could just make a sequel to Fatal Frame instead (and why haven't they?! The WiiU/3DS hardware is just begging for it!)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Fangames/Hacks generally have awful design, immature dialogue and plots and just are not fun to play or enjoyable.
Though I've only seen one or two fangames/hacks, I have to agree. What some people don't understand about making a game is that just because you think what you made is good doesn't necessarily mean it is. Games hire focus groups and examine previous data and studies them to figure out what the general populous liked and didn't like and then spend many, MANY hours/days/weeks brainstorming what they should keep, change, or experiment with. And the thing is, they know they're not going to please everyone, a business's main goal is to appease the MAJORITY of its TARGETED audience. Sure these fangames/hacks are probably meant for the minority, but the problem is there are so many different minorities it'll probably be only a handful of people you'll appease while others would consider your game just as bland/bad if not worse then the official game.

Also Game Freak has hired professional designers who have worked years on making new Pokemon, new characters, new locations that, unless they're REALLY good at faking professional work, anything they make will seem amateurish. For example, here on Smogon we have CAP and while it's probably as "professional" as fan created Pokemon can go, it probably still pales in comparison to the work goes into official Pokemon (probably also helps that official Pokemon are made by a more focused team while CAP has over a dozen very opinionated players arguing their idea is the best (too many cooks, if you will)).

Finally, I find fan games REALLY like to involve all sorts of Legendaries and characters from other games into their game even though many of the Legendary/characters have no right to be there. And yes, they CRAM the Legendary/character into their game story as awkwardly as you can imagine, many times the character just appearing out of nowhere.

But with that all said they sometimes do present some interesting ideas (I wouldn't be surprised if most of these fangames/hacks exist simply because of those ideas the creator thought of) and I'm sure there are some which are good (but they're probably a single small diamond in a pile of coal). Hmm, with all that said I kind of would like to see TwitchPlaysPokemon one of these fangames. It's not like they have anything else to do until a new game comes out.

Fangames/Hacks generally have awful design, immature dialogue and plots and just are not fun to play or enjoyable.
The worst ones are the ones who try to be dark and edgy, include random characters from previous games with unrealistic dialog out of nowhere, or just include a self insert rival/villain that is totally marketable and has a connection with a legend and a totally not repetitive back story...

I really dislike these fangames...i truly do.

Very true, but the Vietnamese Bootleg Pokemon Crystal manages to be all that and unintentionally hilarious.

VERY hilarious.

With such memorable lines as:
FOR MOTHER VOLCANO BAKEMEAT
I AM, I AM A MONSTER... COACH
THE BURNT TOWER WAS BURNT OFF BY FIRE
YES, NOT GOOD AT USING DRAGON IS THE SKILL OF THE DRAGON TYPE
GO TO THE ELF'S WORLD WELCOME! EVERYONE CALL ME ELF MONSTER

I can't recommend it, because playing it is like pulling teeth, but watching someone playing it is entertaining comedy.

Last edited:
Okay on fan-made games (and this applies more widely than Pokemon):

1) They're available free of charge. Meanwhile there are plenty of terrible $60 games.
2) For me the fan-made game does not exist solely to be a game. It can also just be a pet project for the person who made it, because it is immensely satisfying in any walk of life to have something that took a long time and you did all by yourself.

Okay on fan-made games (and this applies more widely than Pokemon):

1) They're available free of charge. Meanwhile there are plenty of terrible $60 games.
2) For me the fan-made game does not exist solely to be a game. It can also just be a pet project for the person who made it, because it is immensely satisfying in any walk of life to have something that took a long time and you did all by yourself.
I agree with this. Sure a lot of them may be complete and total cancer, but they're not taking it away from the real games so I just pretend most of them don't exist.

stage7_4 Vietnamese Crystal was a special kind of beast. It's a standard version of Pokemon Crystal but it was badly translated to Vietnamese and then badly translated back into English. It's like running Stupid Automatic Translators on the game multiple times. You'll eventually get Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal.

In my honest opinion, Shiny Pokemon is a useless gimmick added to the Pokemon games. It is only added to make said "Shiny" Pokemon to be aesthetically different from the regular ones while having no influence on its performance in battle whatsoever.

People only like "Shiny" Pokemon because they are rare, and thus highly valued. If you play PvP and happen to encounter several, you can bet that people who have a Shiny team are either ; cheaters (99%) or those who religiously SR and breed (1%). Apparently it's for bragging rights but I don't see what you can brag about when my Gyarados can do the same thing as your hacked or crazily bred Red Gyarados does.

Oh, and did I mention that except for a select few species, "Shiny" Pokemon look horrible? (Weavile and Dragonite, for example)

In my honest opinion, Shiny Pokemon is a useless gimmick added to the Pokemon games. It is only added to make said "Shiny" Pokemon to be aesthetically different from the regular ones while having no influence on its performance in battle whatsoever.

People only like "Shiny" Pokemon because they are rare, and thus highly valued. If you play PvP and happen to encounter several, you can bet that people who have a Shiny team are either ; cheaters (99%) or those who religiously SR and breed (1%). Apparently it's for bragging rights but I don't see what you can brag about when my Gyarados can do the same thing as your hacked or crazily bred Red Gyarados does.

Oh, and did I mention that except for a select few species, "Shiny" Pokemon look horrible? (Weavile and Dragonite, for example)
This is the epitome of unpopular opinions, I love green and hot pink shinies.

I completely agree, although I do like some of shiny mons. Blissey and Lanturn for example. I hate it when the shiny version of a mon is entirely pink/green/blue.

Not only that but they have odd level curves, complicated maps, and very weird distribution of Pokemon.

To be a little specific, there's this hackrom whose name I couldn't be bothered to look up. You start with am Axew and get an Ekans shortly after, if that helps. I ended up downloading it while looking for an Emerald ROM. Anyways, the level curve got ridiculous at times, specially at the E4, when it jumps from mid-60s at the last battles before the League to low-70s at the E4 to high-70s/low-80s at the Champion, with very little grinding in between. The map is confusing as fuck, with so many twists and turns and the hack maker not bothering to change the in-game map to one of the actual region. And the legendaries... Let's just say, there's a Keldeo hanging out at the outskirts of the initial town, a Kyurem in some random cave, a Genesect in a Power Plant, and many others. Also you can find Scraggys in a snowy route and Woopers in a dried-up cave. Jesus Christ, that hackrom gave me AIDS, ebola, seizures, blood stroke, and other diseases. I don't know how I survived

Last edited:

I guess I'm that 1%. I religiously MM shinies and then build a team around it. My Gourgeist, Aegislash, Garchomp, and Pidgeot are examples. Gourgeist and Aegislash I liked the colors. Garchomp I got a shiny Gible in a trade in Gen IV and it ended up being my MVP so I wanted one I know wasn't hacked. Pidgeot was because of my old and terrible fanfic I wrote featured a shiny Pidgey that my friends found online and we just had a good laugh at my terrible writing, so I wanted to honor it. Or sometimes (like my Minccino, Archen, Klink, Scyther, and Hawlucha) my shinies were happy accidents.

I do get why people don't like it. Some of them are just fugly. And to be fair, finding a team of all shinies (especially legendaries) is very suspect. I might just do it though now that I have enough...

I guess I'm that 1%. I religiously MM shinies and then build a team around it. My Gourgeist, Aegislash, Garchomp, and Pidgeot are examples. Gourgeist and Aegislash I liked the colors. Garchomp I got a shiny Gible in a trade in Gen IV and it ended up being my MVP so I wanted one I know wasn't hacked. Pidgeot was because of my old and terrible fanfic I wrote featured a shiny Pidgey that my friends found online and we just had a good laugh at my terrible writing, so I wanted to honor it. Or sometimes (like my Minccino, Archen, Klink, Scyther, and Hawlucha) my shinies were happy accidents.

I do get why people don't like it. Some of them are just fugly. And to be fair, finding a team of all shinies (especially legendaries) is very suspect. I might just do it though now that I have enough...
I just like to have my main Pokemon be shiny, sort of to make it stand out. SV hatching made this very easy

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That's not Honchkrow, Honchkrow is a gangster that wears black. No, that's a Pimpkrow, because pimps wear pink. :P

(Funny how the url for this image is from Smogon, guessing this is someone's avatar? EDIT: Just checked, there is someone on here who's username is Pimpkrow. Hope you don't mind me using this)

Anyway, yeah, dat pink does clash. I think it might because of the red, it looks like it and the pink is trying to blend in but the colors aren't close enough that they then start clashing. Might have been better to make the red into an orange and/or made the pink into either a lighter shade of pink or turn it into a darker purple. Honestly it looks like they're trying to keep some of Honchkrow's "darkness" in the color and its just not working. Go all the way, it's a Shiny Pokemon afterall!

If shinies actually did anything in battle people would just complain about the unfair advantage and how you have to hack have a viable team. Right now they are just a feature to add replay value to the game for collectors and I quite like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 6)