XY Doubles Bunny Rampage

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bunny Rampage

Introduction

Hey everyone, welcome to my 1k post and RMT of the first doubles team I ever built, Bunny Rampage. I started playing doubles about a year ago after witnessing a SPL team-mate of my mine, BLINGAS, destroying everyone in the tier. I asked to borrow a few teams from him, and pretty much immediately afterwards the doubles circuit started up, where I saw Transform Mew being used to great affect by the likes of makiri. It seemed absolutely savage, so I had the idea of building a team with a more offensive approach, by building it around an offensive core of two stat boosting Pokemon (Azumarill and Kangaskhan) and a Transform Mew, the idea being that Mew will help the stat boosting mon set up and then proceed to Transform into that stat boosting mon (generally while the other uses Protect or kills of a Pokemon), giving me two very scary boosted Pokemon on the field at the same time, which very often results in a sweep. This team has had a lot of tournament success by both me and the other people that have it (me and Haruno gave it to everyone that asked), winning many games in the doubles circuit, invitational and SPL. There was also a circuit mini tour where using Protect wasn't allowed, so I literally just replaced Protect on all my mons with a coverage move, gave Heatran a Choice Scarf, and it took me to the finals XD This team is also the most mindless ladder team of all time (lead with Azumarill + Mew and have the game won in two turns), so it has topped the ladder a bunch of times, which isn't really an accomplishment, but here's the link to a screenshot of one of my peaks for anyone who cares. Overall, this is just a really fun to use team which actually works, so I thought I'd share it with everyone :]

Team

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect

This set's sole purpose is to assist Azumarill / Kangaskhan (usually Azumarill, though) + Mew in rampaging through the opposing team. Intimidate is a naturally superb tool for this purpose, weakening Physical attackers and reducing the odds of them koing my Pokemon, which is particularly important for Azumarill, who has to shave off a chunk of its own health in order to set up. You may be wondering why I'm running an Earthquake user on a team with no other ground resists or immunities or a set that focuses on using Explode when I only have one resist, but that's partially the point, as suiciding my own Pokemon can sometimes be an important step to pulling off a sweep. This is because the combination of Azumarill / Kangaskhan + Mew / Amoonguss is generally my best combination for setting up a successful sweep, but a smart opponent will know this and they'll often make it difficult for me to get that combination in without taking a lot of damage and rendering the sweep futile unless they have 2 Pokemon out that are prepared for that combination. However, by simply Exploding in a scenario where I can bring in an entirely fresh combination of my choosing, I take their options for prevention away from them and potentially surprise kill their best answers to Azumarill / Kangaskhan in the process. Needless to say, I don't solely use him for suiciding both mons on the field, they all have Protect and Explosion doesn't damage Heatran much, so it can just be a good tool for taking out threats as well as being nice in some interesting scenarios. For example, when I have a +6 Azumarill and Landorus-T out on the field I can Explode with Lando and Protect with Azumarill, heavily damaging / kill off opposing Pokemon giving me a free switch to something like Mew, which can then proceed to Fake Out or Transform into Azumarill. That's really just a best case scenario of an unlikely scenario to begin with and very high risk high reward, especially if they didn't protect on the previous turn, but pulling it off would evidently be a huge game changer and that's just one of the many ways Explosion can be a very effective move on this particular team. I run Stone Edge over Rock Slide to prevent Landorus being completely wrecked by Wide Guard as well as to secure the many kos I can't secure with Rock Slide, which is particularly apparent considering I'm running Jolly. I do prefer Jolly over Adamant on this team, though, as it is a very slow team and Jolly allows it to out speed neutral base 100s such as Adamant Kangaskhan. Making it as fast as possible also helps it bluff Choice Scarf, which is pretty easy to do against someone who doesn't know about the team, considering Scarf Landorus-T is everywhere, and the Normal Gem generally won't be revealed until clicking Explode.

Azumarill (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

Here it is, what I believe to be the most potent threat in the doubles metagame with the right support, and this team most certainly provides the right support. There really isn't much to say about Azumarill itself, the moveset is the only one Belly Drum Azumarill ever runs in doubles and it is very self explanatory, as with it this thing can OHKO everything that doesn't resist it when it's at +6, so its strategy is literally "click belly drum and kill things." The problem is being able to Belly Drum without being KOed in the process, so knowing how to support it in doing so is what's important (will be covered in each Pokemon description). If you're wondering why I'm running weird Defense EVs and not just max HP, it's because Transform copies EVs from every stat except HP, and it'll guarantee that Mew Transformed into this Azumarill will live a Double-Edge from an Adamant Kangaskhan, while still giving original Azumarill a good chance at living a Modest Ludicolo's Giga Drain at 75% (after Belly Drum + Sitrus Berry).

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Mew is the cornerstone of this team, and is absolutely lethal once it transforms into a boosted Azumarill or Kangaskhan, getting all their boosts with no set up whatsoever and retaining its item, whereas Azumarill and Kangaskhan both have to use up theirs for set up. What makes Transform even scarier is that it can be used on the opposing Pokemon too, creating a lot of options as well as discouraging set up if they're aware Mew has Transform / benefiting from their set up if they're unaware. In addition, Mew has access to a wide array of support options prior to its transformation, making it much easier for its Transform targets to set up in the first place. Mew's primary support option is Fake Out, which can put one of the opposing Pokemon completely out of commission for that turn, which is all that is needed for Azumarill to get off a Belly Drum. As long as the Pokemon that isn't on the receiving end of Fake Out doesn't do 75% to Azumarill, it will live and can proceed to Protect while Mew Transforms on the following turn, resulting in 2 +6 Azumarills on the field. The opponent can, of course, attempt to double target Mew on that turn and try to KO it before it has the chance to do any real damage, but an opponent that is unaware of Transform Mew's existence will generally attempt to get rid of Azumarill, and if it seems they are aware, Azumarill can simply attack instead with the hopes of KOing one of the opposing Pokemon and preventing Mew's imminent demise, Mew can even just Protect that turn if their remaining Pokemon aren't as big as big of a threat, and it's worth the risk of Azumarill. When Mew is paired with Kangaskhan, the opposing Pokemon may both go for Protect under the threat of Fake Out from either Mew or Kangaskhan (it would be a bluff in Kangaskhan's case, as it isn't actually running Fake Out on this team, but most of them do), in which case Kangaskhan can Power-up Punch Mew for a free +2 while Mew goes for Stealth Rock or make the even higher risk, higher reward play by banking on Kangaskhan winning the speed tie and Transform that very turn. Usually, Mew would run something like Will-O-Wisp on this set over Stealth Rock, and it does on some variations of this team, but Will-O-Wisp really isn't used that often, and Stealth Rock can give the team an absolutely amazing matchup against any team that relies on Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, or even Shaymin-S (who can be a real pain for Amoonguss and Azumarill) as well as making it much easier for Azumarill to get the OHKO with Aqua Jet on many Pokemon, making Stealth Rock the more clutch support move overall, despite it being an unusual choice on a doubles team. I simply run max HP and Speed because they're the only two stats that really matter, HP EVs being the only EVs that carries over once Mew Transforms. Jolly is the superior nature to Timid, as nature doesn't carry over with Transform and it results in less damage from Foul Play and confusion prior to using Transform. Finally, the reason I'm running 30 Atk and 30 Def IVs, rather than the maximum of 31, is because IVs aren't copied when using Transform, and these IVs give Mew Hidden Power Ice, the best and most common Hidden Power, when it Transforms into something with Hidden Power.

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

On this team, the almost sole purpose of Amoonguss is to redirect moves aimed at Azumarill and sometimes Kangaskhan so that they have an easy time setting up, and then an easy time destroying everything after their boosts, if Amoonguss is still alive at that point. I considered many Follow Me users in its place, considering Rage Powder can't redirect grass type Pokemon or anything with Overcoat / Safety Goggles, but Amoonguss just synchronises far too well with Azumarill, resisting a lot of its weaknesses and providing Spore support, and it's a much needed rain team check. Azumarill and Amoonguss are easily two of the biggest threats to both Trick Room and Rain teams, the latter pretty much only ever has Ludicolo for checking Azumarill, so once its gone, the combination can often clean up. Amoonguss makes this a bit easier with Sludge Bomb, a move usually forgone in favour of Giga Drain, which can 2HKO non Assault Vest variants of Ludicolo. Sludge Bomb also helps mitigate the problem the combination of Azumarill and Amoonguss have with the grass types that can get past Rage Powder, although only a little bit. I opted to run Sitrus Berry over something like Rocky Helmet, as Sitrus Berry helps with its primary goal of taking as many hits as possible for its team-mates, and I like Kangaskhan being able to Power-Up Punch its partner in a scenario where it's likely the opponent will Protect / switch to something like a ghost type. It may seem strange to have only 4 Physical Defense EVs and max Special Defense when I expect to be redirecting both Physical and Special attacks, but I have Intimidate support for dangerous Physical attackers, and this spread allows Amoonguss to live hits like Heat Wave from Mega Charizard Y in the sun, as well as helping Amoonguss take on rain teams much better, as they generally consist almost entirely of Special attackers (keep in mind that this team was created for the XY metagame, where Mega Swampert doesn't exist). I'm also running 0 speed IVs to make Amonguss as fast as possible under Trick Room, and like with most Special Attackers I use, 0 Attack IVs to reduce damage from confusion, Foul Play, etc.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Kangaskhan is pretty much just Azumarill's backup that I try to use for sweeping whenever Kangaskhan has a better chance than Azumarill (eg. when like half the opposing team is grass types) or when Azumarill has already weakened the team and Kangaskhan can clean up. Kangaskhan is also a decent partner for azumarill, applying additional offense pressure on the opposing team as well being able to take out fast Pokemon that resist Aqua Jet, which are often a problem, such as Latios. I'm running Sucker Punch partially because Pokemon like Latios can be pretty big threats otherwise, but also because this team is so slow that it really needs more priority, and I feel Kangaskhan's sweeping potential would be diminished greatly if it could easily be disposed of by anything faster than it. Unfortunately, running Sucker Punch over something like Crunch means it can't touch ghost types unless they attack, but I would generally be using Azumarill rather than Kangaskhan if they have a ghost, I have the option to not mega evolve and take advantage of Scrappy, and the pros just overall outweigh the cons in my opinion. I'm running the most set up oriented, offensive version of Kangaskhan possible in order to maximise its effectiveness in conjunction with Mew, as Mew transformed into this Kangaskhan will result in a Mega Kangaskhan holding Leftovers with max Attack, max Speed, and 404 HP.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Ancient Power

Heatran has a lot of key resistances that make it a valuable asset to this team, one of which being a quad resistance to grass, which, in conjunction with very powerful spread move support in the form of Heat Wave, makes it an effective answer to the grass Pokemon that cause the Amoonguss + Azumarill combination a lot of grief. In addition, Heatran's quad resistance to fairy makes it a great check to Hyper Voice spam, and its fire immunity (+ Special Attack boost) as well as Ancient Power help make this team's match up against sun teams a joke. I chose Ancient Power over something like Substitute partially because of how much it helps against the likes of Mega Charizard Y, the essential Pokemon on sun teams, but also because I'm almost never going to have Heatran out with the purpose of setting up rather than supporting the Pokemon I'm actually supposed to be setting up with. Furthermore, Azumarill can really struggle against Talonflame, as due to its superior speed, Brave Bird goes before Aqua Jet and does over 60%, so I really need something that can take Brave Birds and OHKO Talonflame late game (Landorus would have usually already Exploded by the time I have Azumarill out), and the 10% chance of boosting all Heatran's stats can actually be really clutch, especially with a Mew there to potentially Transform into Heatran and proceed to spam boosted Heat Waves. I'm pretty much just running the standard Heatran EV spread with max Special Attack, enough Speed to out speed min Rotom-W (although I added an extra 4 EVs to speed creep anything else trying to hit that benchmark), and the rest in HP.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I am really happy with how this team has turned out. It may not be as good as it once was now that a lot of people know about it and the metagame has changed since I made it, but it's still a lot of fun to use, so I encourage you to give the team a go if you haven't already. It would, however, be a good idea to make some changes to the team so as to throw off anyone who knows the team well, help win mirror matches, and adapt the team to the oras metagame. Thanks for reading n_n

Shout outs

13ulbasaur nz friend <3
Alice for being one of my first ever Smogon friends and teaching me a lot, I rly miss you <3 n_n
BLINGAS for helping me get started with doubles, thanks man :]
blunder this team is better than the lanturn one, ur not knocking me out of a tour finals this time. Also friend :]]]
doughboy it was a lot of fun doing all those projects together in Overused, miss u buddy :]
dragonuser for being a great friend, always down to build teams and have fun battles with :]
DuckTux super old friend, it's been forever, man :(
FAJI :]]]]
finally for being an amazing doubles player and really great friend, yooooooooooooooooo :]
Finc2612 one of the only super old friends that still actually plays Pokemon like a lord :]
Genesect for being a cool friend that needs to ssb me more :]
Haruno for being an absolute lord and using bunnies about as much as I do. Also a really great friend and doubles champion that unfortunately doesn't know how to go in or make hard reads when it comes to barrel spam :]
HBK for being a really good friend for a while then dying for like a year then coming back when I was more inactive so rip we need to talk more often :]
Jirachee for teaching me how to be an rmt master and being a really great friend in general. I miss our 3 hour long team building sessions though :]
Joeyboy greatest voice ever :]
Joim Joim smells. You need to ssb me more and come see me when you come to nz :]
Kiyo nice avatar, dork. I miss ur yt channel all our really funny Skype calls though :(
KyleCole aka KyleCakes nonononononononononononono... thanks for making that dog team with me and understanding the power of MIXTAPE, qt pi <3 (oh and ur a really cool friend ily) https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKylecol3
Lasagne nz friend <3 Please never show me ME!ME!ME! again though :(
Lunar. for being a really chill dude. I hope you're doing well, man :]
makiri for destroying me with Mew and inspiring this team :]
Memoric how's the weather in Singapore this time of year?
#ocn for all being good friends and teaching me a lot about mons :]
Pocket for encouraging when I was getting started with doubles and being a nice guy in general
PS staff all very cool people that are usually happy to mess around :]
RiCH HOMiE CHRiS probably my oldest friend on here, dating back before we knew what Smogon was, I miss u fren :]
#rmt n_n
shrop05 cool doubles friend n_n
SocialSocialSocial who the fk is Social?
steelphoenix great ubers friend that I fought in one of my first ubers tournament battles in grand slam that helped carry our UPL team :]
Stratos for being a really good friend to me since I started doubles and pushing me to finally post this rmt :]
Sweep for always believing in me when I play BW Ubers and being a Helix lord :]
Tutees I hope I wasn't too bad of a teacher and you're all doing well
Victorious B.I.G. ur teams smell, thanks for putting up with me when I was being unreasonable though :]
yee for being a cool dude that was always happy to help out and build, even though ur dead now :(
yohoE for being legit funny af :]
Zeta5 another really old friend, I hope I haven't accidentally sent any more stalkers your way recently :]

I'm really sorry to anyone I've missed out, but please check if you belong to any of the group shout outs I did before being a sad panda :(

Importable

Code:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Azumarill (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Ancient Power

Last edited:

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sash > Gem on Lando, helps it boom easier in a bad matchup for the bunnies which is where it needs to boom most

anyone who comes to post about this team being cancer etc is retarded and should re-evaluate their continued obtrusive existence

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
fuck this team. every match containing it is the exact same so it's boring as fuck to watch, and even if the guy using it has never played doubles before, he's still a threat when hes using this team, so i can never get easy tour wins anymore. i rate 0/10

there's obviously a lot of variants of this team floating around; i think the most potent Lando is sash, which really helps with the rain matchup if you can boom on Ludicolo after soaking an Ice Beam. Most other changes you can take it or leave it. good team.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In regards to the Focus Sash Landorus-T suggestion, it is indeed a good item and I may have a variant of this team with Focus Sash Landorus-T, however an unboosted Explosion from a non Adamant Landorus-T in doubles is pretty weak and misses a lot of KOs. For example, 252 Atk Landorus-T Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin-S: 281-331 (82.4 - 97%) vs. 252 Atk Normal Gem Landorus-T Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin-S: 364-429 (106.7 - 125.8%), so I prefer Normal Gem overall. Thanks for the rate, though :]

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
TGMD i was cool with the immortal witch premise, i was cool with the magic glowy eye powers, i was cool with nina humping the table, but that? that was fuckin stupid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)