NU Regirock

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
[QC: Kiyo / Dat Blast / Montsegur ]
[GP: Psywaves / P Squared ]

Overview
########

Regirock boasts solid defenses alongside a good support movepool, including moves such as Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Sunny Day, making it a good option for teams looking for a Rock-type or a weather setter on sun teams. It also serves as a good Fire-type check, as unlike Rhydon it doesn't have a 4x weakness to Grass-type moves, which most Fire-types use as coverage. Regirock's pure Rock typing also gives it useful resistances to primarily physical attacking types, including Normal and Flying, but with no reliable recovery except RestTalk and weaknesses to some of the more of common special attacking types in NU, it gets worn down easily. Regirock also competes with Rhydon for a spot on teams, but Thunder Wave and Sunny Day are some of the moves it has over Rhydon.

Tank
########
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 3: Thunder Wave / Toxic
move 4: Drain Punch / Earthquake
ability: Clear Body
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is a great entry hazard, and thanks to its good bulk, Regirock can very reliably set it up. Stone Edge is the main STAB move of choice, dealing decent damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it. If the chance to miss is off-putting, Rock Slide is a more reliable STAB move. Thunder Wave provides important speed control for bulkier teams, while Toxic can help Regirock wear down more defensive teams. With Drain Punch, Regirock has some form of recovery while also gaining decent coverage combined with its STAB moves. Earthquake hits harder than Drain Punch and gives Regirock EdgeQuake coverage, but it is often less useful than the previously mentioned moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread of 252 HP / 16 Def / 196 SpD and an Impish nature allow Regirock to survive Adamant Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat and avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Typhlosion's Hidden Power Grass. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack for a better damage output. Leftovers gives Regirock passive recovery to negate entry hazard damage. An alternative EV spread that can be used is 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD, but it sacrifices a lot of Regirock's ability to tank special hits.

Usage Tips
========

Very few of the Flying-types in NU can do much to Regirock, not even Archeops, so take advantage of this by setting up Stealth Rock, spreading status, or attacking. Most Normal-types such as Kangaskhan and Zangoose have super effective coverage that hits Regirock hard, but none of them can easily OHKO it, so with Drain Punch it's possible to take advantage of them instead. Regirock loses to some of the most common dedicated leads in the tier, so it's worth trying to predict your opponent and send out a Pokemon that can handle the opposing lead instead.

Team Options
========

Grass-types such as Vileplume and Exeggutor can take Grass-, Water-, Fighting-, and Ground-type moves aimed at Regirock, while it takes on troublesome Flying-types for them in return. Psychic-types such as Mesprit like the support Regirock provides with Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave, while also being able to deal with the Fighting-types that give Regirock trouble. Regirock appreciates Rapid Spin or Defog support from the likes of Claydol or Prinplup, respectively, as keeping entry hazards away increases Regirock's longevity. Slower strong attackers such as Samurott can take advantage of paralyzed foes if Regirock is carrying Thunder Wave. A Wish passer such as Audino can pass Wishes to restore Regirock's health.

Sunny Day
########
name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 4: Explosion
item: Heat Rock
evs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD

Moves
========

Sunny Day is used to set up sun for the team. Stealth Rock gives a bit of extra passive damage and breaks Sturdy and Focus Sash. Rock Slide is a reliable STAB move, but Stone Edge is a more powerful option at the cost of lower accuracy. Explosion grants sun sweepers free switches after Regirock has set up Sunny Day and deals decent damage.

Set Details
========

The HP, Defense, and Special Defense EVs let Regirock survive Close Combat from Adamant Choice Band Sawk and two Eruptions from Choice Specs Typhlosion. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to make Regirock hit harder. Heat Rock boosts the duration of sun from five turns to eight, increasing the time Regirock's team members can use the sun as much as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Leading with Regirock generally allows it to get both Stealth Rock and sun up. Set up Stealth Rock and then sun, in that order. If Regirock's HP is low or the opposing Pokemon is a threat to the rest of the team, use Explosion. Otherwise, if Regirock has enough HP to set up sun another time in the battle, it's better to switch out. Explosion can give your frail sun sweepers a free switch so that they don't have to take a hit.

Team Options
========

Chlorophyll sweepers such as Victreebel and Exeggutor can take advantage of the sun Regirock brings. Other good partners are Fire-types such as Typhlosion and Magmortar, which can spam sun-boosted Fire-type moves. Lastly, Regirock appreciates another reliable sun setter such as Uxie, which has decent Speed, bulk, and access to dual screens and Memento, or a Prankster user such as Liepard or Volbeat, as they help support the team with their own sun.

Other Options
########

A fully offensive set using Choice Band or Rock Polish can be used, but it misses out on some of Regirock's best traits. A bulky boosting set with Curse can work, but it needs more team support to be useful. Fire Punch can be used as a situational move to hit Ferroseed and other Grass-types harder than any of Regirock's other moves else. Another option is Protect on sets with Leftovers to scout and get a little extra recovery, but there isn't much room for it. A set using Drain Punch + Assault Vest can be used with maximum Attack investment to tank a few hits better, but it takes away all of Regirock's support moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Attackers**: Hitting Regirock on its less bulky Special Defense, attackers such as Mesprit, Samurott, and Mega Camerupt can all 2HKO Regirock, but excluding Mega Camerupt, they all risk getting hit by Thunder Wave, which none of them appreciate.

**Ground-types**: Sandslash, Seismitoad, Rhydon, and Torterra are all immune to Thunder Wave, and they are all bulky enough to take very little damage from any of Regirock's attacks. However, none of them appreciate getting hit by Toxic, as they get worn down quickly.

**Water-types**: Samurott, Gorebyss, and Ludicolo all threaten to easily KO Regirock with their respective STAB moves, but they fear switching in because of Thunder Wave, while Pokemon such as Seismitoad, Lanturn, and Quagsire can burn Regirock and deal decent damage with Scald.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Physically bulky Pokemon such as Vileplume, Gourgeist-XL, and Seismitoad take very little from any of Regirock's attacks. Even if Regirock can't break through them, it can still Thunder Wave or Toxic them, which none of them appreciate.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types resist Regirock's STAB moves and some, such as Gurdurr, even benefit from the status Regirock spreads. Other Fighting-types such as Sawk and Hariyama easily 2HKO Regirock with their respective STAB moves, but they dislike getting hit by the status moves Regirock commonly runs.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Leafeon and Vileplume can deal good damage to Regirock with their STAB moves, but they dislike getting paralyzed or poisoned. Lilligant can even use Regirock to set up and sweep, but also has to be wary of Regirock's status moves.

**Passive Damage**: Poison and burn slowly wear down Regirock and negates the passive recovery Leftovers gives. Similarly, entry hazards can easily wear down Regirock to the point where it can't switch in any more.

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
This needs expending on in a bunch of places, but I think it's enough for a first draft for QC.

edit: the slashes are awful, so I'd love suggestions on them.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pretty sure Zeb had some kind of mixed defensive spread for tank Regirock in the old thread, like max HP / 16+ Def / some SpD / rest in Atk, but idr what it was

There should probs be a Sunny Day set too, Explosion + Normal resist give it a niche over Uxie.

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
Went back to the old thread and I assume it's the 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD Impish spread you mean? Should I swap out the first sets EVs for that instead?

Added a sunny day set based on some of the feedback from the last thread, but since I haven't used it all that much yet the usage tips aren't great.

Could I just combine the first two sets and make a mention of the different spreads in Set Details, because they're not all that different.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For usage tips just say you go rocks then sunny day, then check your HP and see if you can set sunny day again later in the match so you should switch, if not or the opposing pokemon is a threat hit explosion. That's about it for sunny day regirock.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Went back to the old thread and I assume it's the 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD Impish spread you mean? Should I swap out the first sets EVs for that instead?

Added a sunny day set based on some of the feedback from the last thread, but since I haven't used it all that much yet the usage tips aren't great.

Could I just combine the first two sets and make a mention of the different spreads in Set Details, because they're not all that different.
Yeah that should be the main spread, and yeah I'd prefer if the SpD set gets removed with just a heavy mention in Set Details, it's not bad but a bit too situational to get a full set imo.

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
Yeah that should be the main spread, and yeah I'd prefer if the SpD set gets removed with just a heavy mention in Set Details, it's not bad but a bit too situational to get a full set imo.
Did this, also added the stuff about hp and going boom like Montsegur said.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
add water types to c&c, add that it can switch into most fire types without taking a fuck ton from hp grass like rhydon, i'd personally mention an alternative spread of max speed and attack for the sunny day set, but maybe thats just my liking idk on that one. 1/3

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
Added water types, but do I really need to mention the grass weakness twice? I understand it's not a terribly well-worded sentence, but it should at least have gotten the point across.

Or do you mean specifically for the Tank set?
+good fire check because not x4 weak to grass like Rhydon, which most Fire-types use as coverage

I know it's unpopular because it undermines a good portion of Regirock's viable movepool, but I think it's worth adding AV to OO. I am well aware that AV is not Regirock's best set, but because it provides with a unique ability to live almost any hit and return considerable damage it might fill a roll as a general stop on more offensive teams better then the other sets.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know it's unpopular because it undermines a good portion of Regirock's viable movepool, but I think it's worth adding AV to OO. I am well aware that AV is not Regirock's best set, but because it provides with a unique ability to live almost any hit and return considerable damage it might fill a roll as a general stop on more offensive teams better then the other sets.
I mean, the tank set does that pretty darn well already considering that it's EV'd to survive the OHKO and 2HKO from two of the most powerful attacks in the tier. Unless you can provide relevant calcs that an AV set would help with, it should not be in OO.

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
You don't need to highlight me on my own thread :(

I wrote it up, but I can't English so I might have done something wrong.

Besides just having more attack investment and not needing to be at full hp to deal with typhlo, here are some specific cases:

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 116-138 (31.9 - 38%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
now hard-counters typhlosion.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 306-360 (84.2 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Lilligant Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 218-260 (60 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
loses to life orb, but a lum berry set is more likely to try and set up on regirock

244 Atk Regirock Earthquake vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 200-236 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recover
While still a bad match-up with Lanturn, it becomes much more dangerous to beat this regirock set.

252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Regirock: 244-289 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
if it has hp grass for coverage instead it can't even 2HKO

I tried to list things that were both what regirock is supposed to beat and also things that the other sets struggle with.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Guys, we aren't supposed to QC QQ, we're supposed to just leave his threads alone for 3 months. smh.

AV + Drain Punch in oo, its good enough to be put there.

C&C needs to be expanded out, I'll talk about it on PS! with you.

3/3

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

Overview
########

Regirock boasts solid defenses alongside a good support movepool, including moves like such as (like = similar to, such as = examples of) Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Sunny Day, making it a good option for teams looking for a Rock-type or a weather setter on sun teams. It also servers as a good Fire-type check, as unlike Rhydon it doesn't have a 4x weakness to Grass-type moves, which most Fire-types use as coverage. Its Regirock's pure Rock typing also gives Regirock decent resists it useful resistances to physical moves primarily physical attacking types, including Normal and Flying, but with no reliable recovery except RestTalk and being weaknesses to a some of the more of common special attacking types in NU, (AC) it gets worn down easily. Regirock also competes with Rhydon for a spot on teams, but Thunder Wave and Sunny Day are some of the moves it has over Rhydon.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is a great entry hazard, (AC) and thanks to its good bulk, (AC) Regirock can very reliably set it up. Stone Edge is the main STAB move of choice, dealing decent damage to most Pokemon that doesn't resist it. If the chance to miss is off-putting, (AC) Rock Slide is a more reliable STAB move. Thunder Wave provides important speed control for bulkier teams, (AC) while Toxic can help Regirock wear down more defensive teams. With Drain Punch, (AC) Regirock have has some form of recovery while also gaining decent coverage combined with its STAB moves. Earthquake hits harder than Drain Punch and gives Regirock EdgeQuake coverage, but it is often less useful than the previously mentioned moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread of 252 HP / 16 Def / 52 SpD and an Impish allow Regirock to survive Adamant Choice Banded Sawk's Close Combat and two Eruptions from Choice Specs Typhlosion. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack for a better damage output. Leftovers gives (plural items are treated as singular when wirtten as a single object) Regirock a bit of passive recovery to negate entry hazard damage. An alternative EV spread that can be used is 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD to take special hits a lot better, but it is more situational than the main spread.

Usage Tips
========

Very few of the Flying-types in NU can do much to Regirock, not even Archeops, so take advantage of that this by setting up Stealth Rocks, spreading status, (AC) or attacking. Most Normal-types like such as Kangaskhan and Zangoose have super effective coverage that hits Regirock hard, but none of them can easily OHKO it, (AC) so with Drain Punch it's possible to take advantage of them instead. Regirock loses to some of the most common dedicated leads in the tier, so it's worth trying to predict your opponent and send out something that can handle the opposing lead instead.

Team Options
========

Grass-(hyphen)types like such as Vileplume and Exeggutor that can take the Grass-, Water-, Fighting-, and Ground-type moves aimed at it Regirock, while it takes on the troublesome Flying-types for them in return. Psychic-types like such as Mesprit who both like the support Regirock bring provides with Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave, while also being able to deal with the Fighting-types that give Regirock trouble. Regirock appreciates Rapid Spin or Defog support from the likes of Claydol or Prinplup, (AC) respectively, as keeping entry hazards away increases Regirock's longevity. Slower strong attackers like such as Samurott that can take advantage of the paralyzed opponent paralyzed foes (opponent = opposing player; foe = opposing Pokémon) if Regirock is carrying Thunder Wave. A Wish passer like such as Audino that can pass Wishes to restore Regirock's health.

Sunny Day
########

Moves
========

Sunny Day is the most important move on the set and is used to set up sun for the team. Stealth Rock gives a bit of extra passive damage and breaks Sturdy and break any Focus Sash the opposing Pokemon might carry. Rock Slide for is a reliable STAB move, but Stone Edge is an option if you need more damage a more powerful option that comes at the cost of lower accuracy but is riskier as the chance to miss greatly increases. Explosion to get grants sun sweepers free switches ins for the sun sweepers after you have Regirock has set up a Sunny Day and deals decent damage. (full stop/period)

Set Details
========

252 HP / 16 Def / 52 SpD Impish allow Regirock to survive Adamant Banded Sawk's Close Combat and two Eruptions from Specs Typhlosion. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack. The HP, Defense, and Special Defense EVs let Regirock survive Close Combat from Adamant Choice Band Sawk and two Eruptions from Choice Specs Typhlosion. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to make Regirock hit harder. (changed this to differentiate it from the Set Details of the previous set) Heat Rock boost sun from five turns to eight, to increase the time its team members can use the sun as much as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Generally Leading with Regirock generally allows it to get both Stealth Rock and sun up. Set up Stealth Rock and then sun, in that order. If Regirock's HP is low or the opposing Pokemon is a threat to the rest of the team, (AC) use Explosion. Otherwise, if Regirock have has enough HP to set up sun another time throughout the battle, (AC) it's better to switch out. Explosion can give your frail sun sweepers a free switch in so they don't have to take a hit.

Team Options
========

Chlorophyll sweepers like such as Victreebel and Exeggutor that can take advantage of the sun turn Regirock brings. Other good partners are Fire-types such as Typhlosion and Magmortar, whoich can spam sun-(hyphen)boosted Fire-type moves like Typhlosion and Magmortar make good partners. Lastly, Regirock appreciates another reliable sun setter like such as Uxie, which has thanks to its decent speed, bulk, and access to dual screens and Memento, or a Prankster users like such as Liepard and or Volbeat, (AC) as they help support the team with their own sun.

Other Options
########

A fully offensive spread set using Choice Band or Rock Polish can be used, but they it misses out on some of the best traits in Regirock's best traits. A bulky boosting set with Curse can work, but needs more team support to be useful. Fire Punch can be used as a situational move to hit Ferroseed and other Grass-types harder than anything else. Another option is Protect on sets with Leftovers to scout and get a little extra recovery, but there isn't much room for it. A set using Drain Punch + Assault Vest can be used alongside with maximum Attack investment to tank a few hits better, but in it takes away all of Regirock's support moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Attackers**: Hitting it on the its less bulky special side, attackers such as Mespit, Samurott, (AC) and Mega-(remove hyphen)Camerupt can all 2HKO Regirock, but excluding Mega-(remove hyphen)Camerupt, (AC) they all risk getting hit by Thunder Wave, (AC) which none of them appreciate.

**Ground-types**: Sandslash, Seismitoad, Rhydon, (AC) and Torterra are all immune to Thunder Wave, (AC) and they are all bulky enough to take very little damage from any of Regirock's attacks. However, none of them appreciate getting hit by a Toxic, (AC) as they get worn down quickly.

**Water-types**: Samurott, Gorebyss, (AC) and Ludicolo all threaten to easily KO Regirock with their respective STAB moves, but fears switching in because of Thunder Wave, while Pokemon like such as Seismitoad, Lanturn, and Quagsire can burn and deal decent damage with Scald.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Physically bulky Pokemon like such as Vileplume, Gourgeist-SuperXL, (AC) and Seismitoad who take very little from any of Regirock's attacks. Even if Regirock can't break through them, it can still Thunder Wave or Toxic them, something which none of them appreciate.

**Fighting-types**: They Fighting-types resist Regirock's main STAB moves and some, (AC) such as like Gurdurr, (AC) even benefit from the status Regirock spreads. Other Fighting types like such as Sawk and Hariyama easily 2HKO Regirock with their respective STAB moves, but they dislike getting hit by either the status moves Regirock commonly runs.

**Grass-types**: All of which can deal good damage with their STAB moves like Grass-types such as Leafeon and Vileplume can deal good damage to Regirock with their STAB moves, but they both dislike getting paralyzed or poisoned. Lilligant can even use Regirock to set up and sweep, but also has to be wary of Regirock's status moves.

**Passive Damage**: Poison and burn slowly wear Regirock down and negates the passive recovery Leftovers gives. Similarly, (AC) entry hazards can easily wear down Regirock enough that to the point where it can't switch in any more.

GP 1/2

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so while I know this is already in gp and almost done, I'd like to see a different ev spread as the main one for the two sets.

The 184 attack evs seem really arbitrary and I can't find any relevant calcs where having all that investment is actually helpful.

The new spread I have is 248 HP / 32 Atk / 16 Def / 208 SpD

This does the same thing as current spread except in addition it always survives 2 specs hp grass from typhlosion after stealth rock damage.

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 208 SpD Regirock: 142-168 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Kiyos agrees and I don't think anyone else would object.

Having 32 Atk makes it only able to have a 50% chance of OHKO'ing typhlosion after Stealth rocks, and no longer a 100% chance of 2HKOing Pyroar while burned after rock damage. It only has a 10% chance to 2HKO lanturn with EQ.
184 Atk works out nicely against khan because drain punch 2HKO's Kangaskhan leaving Regirock with over 50% hp, while 32 get's the 3HKO and due to almost no drain punch recovery on the last hit is nearly KO'd.

It's hard to quantify this value, but:
32 Atk Regirock Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zangoose: 168-198 (58.5 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and toxic damage

184 Atk Regirock Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zangoose: 194-230 (67.5 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and toxic damage

with only 32 attack zangoose can live for a few extra turns, whereas 184 attack assures that Zangoose will go be KO'd to toxic damage in two additional turns at worst, the same turn at best.

The noticeable differences differences between the two spreads isn't going to be very much, and I think there is fair reason to run both. At the very least I think the alternative spread should be changed to the one suggested by boltsandbombers as it makes trying to counter fire spam at least a coin flip rather then a 30% chance.

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
As it looks right now (unless QC disagree) I'd switch the spread on Sunny Day to the one bolts posted, because bulk matters more than offensive presence when you're trying to set up sun and rocks. Then just keep the current more offensive spread on the tank set but switch the specially defensive mention in set details to the new one.

Would that be acceptable boltsandbombers?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
The value of being able to live two choice specs hidden power grasses from typhlosion is far more worthwhile imo than having that Attack investment. Regirock is an extremely obvious zangoose switch in, and is always 2hkoed by Adamant Close Combat.

I'd rather see the more offensive spread on the sunny day set since sun teams are always more offensively based while the tank set fits better on balanced teams.

If other QC could weigh in on this that would be great.

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yeah i agree with bolts, on sun i prefer adamant max attack tbh but i can see why the spread is what it is now. deff more offensive build on sun. and spdef build on tank, the ability to tank the hits is what makes the set imo, i'd rather switch in and do some damage than not be able to switch in

Add / Correction
Remove
Comments

**Amcheck**

Overview
########

Regirock boasts solid defenses alongside a good support movepool, including moves such as Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Sunny Day, making it a good option for teams looking for a Rock-type or a weather setter on sun teams. It also serves as a good Fire-type check, as unlike Rhydon it doesn't have a 4x weakness to Grass-type moves, which most Fire-types use as coverage. Regirock's pure Rock typing also gives it useful resistances to primarily physical attacking types, including Normal and Flying, but with no reliable recovery except RestTalk and weakness to some of the more of common special attacking types in NU, it gets worn down easily. Regirock also competes with Rhydon for a spot on teams, but Thunder Wave and Sunny Day are some of the moves it has over Rhydon.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is a great entry hazard, and thanks to its good bulk, Regirock can very reliably set it up. Stone Edge is the main STAB move of choice, dealing decent damage to most Pokemon that doesn't don't (not sure if you mean "don't") resist it. If the chance to miss is off-putting, Rock Slide is a more reliable STAB move. Thunder Wave provides important Speed (capitalize) control for bulkier teams, while Toxic can help Regirock wear down more defensive teams. With Drain Punch, Regirock has some form of recovery, (AC) while also gaining decent coverage combined with its STAB moves. Earthquake hits harder than Drain Punch and gives Regirock EdgeQuake coverage, but it is often less useful than the previously mentioned moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread of 252 HP / 16 Def / 52 SpD and an Impish nature allows Regirock to survive Adamant Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat and two Eruptions from Choice Specs Typhlosion. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack for a better damage output. Leftovers gives Regirock passive recovery to negate entry hazard damage. An alternative EV spread that can be used is 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD to take special hits a lot better, but it is more situational than the main spread.

Usage Tips
========

Very few of the Flying-types in NU can do much to Regirock, not even Archeops, so take advantage of this by setting up Stealth Rock, spreading status, or attacking. Most Normal-types such as Kangaskhan and Zangoose have super effective coverage that hits Regirock hard, but none of them can easily OHKO it, so with Drain Punch it's possible to take advantage of them instead. Regirock loses to some of the most common dedicated leads in the tier, so it's worth trying to predict your opponent and send out something that can handle the opposing lead instead.

Team Options
========

Grass-types such as Vileplume and Exeggutor can take Grass-, Water-, Fighting-, and Ground-type moves aimed at Regirock, while it takes on troublesome Flying-types for them in return. Psychic-types such as Mesprit like the support Regirock provides with Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave, while also being able to deal with the Fighting-types that give Regirock trouble. Regirock appreciates Rapid Spin or Defog support from the likes of Claydol or Prinplup, respectively, as keeping entry hazards away increases Regirock's longevity. Slower strong attackers such as Samurott can take advantage of paralyzed foes if Regirock is carrying Thunder Wave. A Wish passer such as Audino that can pass Wishes to restore Regirock's health.

Sunny Day
########

Moves
========

Sunny Day is the most important move on the set and is used to set up sun for the team. Stealth Rock gives a bit of extra passive damage and breaks Sturdy and Focus Sash. Rock Slide is a reliable STAB move, but Stone Edge is a more powerful option at the cost of lower accuracy. Explosion grants sun sweepers free switches after Regirock has set up Sunny Day and deals decent damage.

Set Details
========

The HP, Defense, and Special Defense EVs let Regirock survive Close Combat from Adamant Choice Band Sawk and two Eruptions from Choice Specs Typhlosion. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to make Regirock hit harder. Heat Rock boosts the sun from five turns to eight, to increase the time its team members can use the sun as much as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Leading with Regirock generally allows it to get both Stealth Rock and sun up. Set up Stealth Rock and then sun, in that order. If Regirock's HP is low or the opposing Pokemon is a threat to the rest of the team, use Explosion. Otherwise, if Regirock has enough HP to set up sun another time throughout the battle, it's better to switch out. Explosion can give your frail sun sweepers a free switch so they don't have to take a hit.

Team Options
========

Chlorophyll sweepers such as Victreebel and Exeggutor can take advantage of the sun Regirock brings. Other good partners are Fire-types such as Typhlosion and Magmortar, which can spam sun-boosted Fire-type moves. Lastly, Regirock appreciates another reliable sun setter such as Uxie, which has its decent Speed, (capitalize) bulk, and access to dual screens and Memento, or a Prankster user such as Liepard or Volbeat, as they help support the team with their own sun.

Other Options
########

A fully offensive set using Choice Band or Rock Polish can be used, but it misses out on some of Regirock's best traits. A bulky boosting set with Curse can work, but need more team support to be useful. Fire Punch can be used as a situational move to hit Ferroseed and other Grass-types harder than anything else. Another option is Protect on sets with Leftovers to scout and get a little extra recovery, but there isn't much room for it. A set using Drain Punch + Assault Vest can be used with maximum Attack investment to tank a few hits better, but it takes away all of Regirock's support moves.

Checks & Counters (Fixed all the spacing. Each section, whether it is a new set or checks / counters, they need to be separated by 1 line each.)
########

**Special Attackers**: Hitting it Regirock on its less bulky special side, attackers such as Mespit, Samurott, and Mega Camerupt can all 2HKO Regirock, but excluding Mega Camerupt, they all risk getting hit by Thunder Wave, which none of them appreciate.

**Ground-types**: Sandslash, Seismitoad, Rhydon, and Torterra are all immune to Thunder Wave, and they are all bulky enough to take very little damage from any of Regirock's attacks. However, none of them appreciate getting hit by Toxic, as they get worn down quickly.

**Water-types**: Samurott, Gorebyss, and Ludicolo all threaten to easily KO Regirock with their respective STAB moves, but fear switching in because of Thunder Wave, while Pokemon such as Seismitoad, Lanturn, and Quagsire can burn and deal decent damage with Scald.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Physically bulky Pokemon such as Vileplume, Gourgeist-XL, and Seismitoad take very little from any of Regirock's attacks. Even if Regirock can't break through them, it can still Thunder Wave or Toxic them, which none of them appreciate.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types resist Regirock's STAB moves and some, such as Gurdurr, even benefit from the status Regirock spreads. Other Fighting types such as Sawk and Hariyama easily 2HKO Regirock with their respective STAB moves, but they dislike getting hit by the status moves Regirock commonly runs.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Leafeon and Vileplume can deal good damage to Regirock with their STAB moves, but they dislike getting paralyzed or poisoned. Lilligant can even use Regirock to set up and sweep, but also has to be wary of Regirock's status moves.

**Passive Damage**: Poison and burn slowly wear down Regirock and negates the passive recovery Leftovers gives. Similarly, entry hazards can easily wear down Regirock to the point where it can't switch in any more.

Tagging P Squared for a check~

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
using the above with a few extra things for GP 1/2 ^_^

edit: iiiii mean 2/2
Overview
########

Regirock boasts solid defenses alongside a good support movepool, including moves such as Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, and Sunny Day, making it a good option for teams looking for a Rock-type or a weather setter on sun teams. It also serves as a good Fire-type check, as unlike Rhydon it doesn't have a 4x weakness to Grass-type moves, which most Fire-types use as coverage. Regirock's pure Rock typing also gives it useful resistances to primarily physical attacking types, including Normal and Flying, but with no reliable recovery except RestTalk and weaknesses to some of the more of common special attacking types in NU, it gets worn down easily. Regirock also competes with Rhydon for a spot on teams, but Thunder Wave and Sunny Day are some of the moves it has over Rhydon.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is a great entry hazard, and thanks to its good bulk, Regirock can very reliably set it up. Stone Edge is the main STAB move of choice, dealing decent damage to most Pokemon that doesn't don't (not sure if you mean "don't") (yep, should be "don't", because "most Pokemon" is plural) resist it. If the chance to miss is off-putting, Rock Slide is a more reliable STAB move. Thunder Wave provides important Speed (capitalize) ("speed control" is lowercase according to Spelling and Grammar Standards, so keep it as "speed") control for bulkier teams, while Toxic can help Regirock wear down more defensive teams. With Drain Punch, Regirock has some form of recovery, (AC) (apparently "while" with a comma before it is more like...in opposition to the previous stuff? like "he likes pie, while she likes cake" is showing a difference between them. and "while" without the comma is like, things are happening at the same time. like "i made breakfast while he got the mail". so I think this one is fine without the comma) while also gaining decent coverage combined with its STAB moves. Earthquake hits harder than Drain Punch and gives Regirock EdgeQuake coverage, but it is often less useful than the previously mentioned moves.

Set Details
========

The EV spread of 252 HP / 16 Def / 52 SpD and an Impish nature allows ("EV spread and Impish nature" is two things, so it should be "allow") Regirock to survive Adamant Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat and two Eruptions from Choice Specs Typhlosion. The rest of the EVs are put into Attack for a better damage output. Leftovers gives Regirock passive recovery to negate entry hazard damage. An alternative EV spread that can be used is 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD to take special hits a lot better, but it is more situational than the main spread.

Usage Tips
========

Very few of the Flying-types in NU can do much to Regirock, not even Archeops, so take advantage of this by setting up Stealth Rock, spreading status, or attacking. Most Normal-types such as Kangaskhan and Zangoose have super effective coverage that hits Regirock hard, but none of them can easily OHKO it, so with Drain Punch it's possible to take advantage of them instead. Regirock loses to some of the most common dedicated leads in the tier, so it's worth trying to predict your opponent and send out something a Pokemon that can handle the opposing lead instead.

Team Options
========

Grass-types such as Vileplume and Exeggutor can take Grass-, Water-, Fighting-, and Ground-type moves aimed at Regirock, while it takes on troublesome Flying-types for them in return. Psychic-types such as Mesprit like the support Regirock provides with Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave, while also being able to deal with the Fighting-types that give Regirock trouble. Regirock appreciates Rapid Spin or Defog support from the likes of Claydol or Prinplup, respectively, as keeping entry hazards away increases Regirock's longevity. Slower strong attackers such as Samurott can take advantage of paralyzed foes if Regirock is carrying Thunder Wave. A Wish passer such as Audino that can pass Wishes to restore Regirock's health.

Sunny Day
########

Moves
========

Sunny Day is the most important move on the set and is (generally we want to avoid this kind of stuff) used to set up sun for the team. Stealth Rock gives a bit of extra passive damage and breaks Sturdy and Focus Sash. Rock Slide is a reliable STAB move, but Stone Edge is a more powerful option at the cost of lower accuracy. Explosion grants sun sweepers free switches after Regirock has set up Sunny Day and deals decent damage.

Set Details
========

The HP, Defense, and Special Defense EVs let Regirock survive Close Combat from Adamant Choice Band Sawk and two Eruptions from Choice Specs Typhlosion. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to make Regirock hit harder. Heat Rock boosts the duration of sun from five turns to eight, to increase increasing the time its Regirock's team members can use the sun as much as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Leading with Regirock generally allows it to get both Stealth Rock and sun up. Set up Stealth Rock and then sun, in that order. If Regirock's HP is low or the opposing Pokemon is a threat to the rest of the team, use Explosion. Otherwise, if Regirock has enough HP to set up sun another time throughout in the battle, it's better to switch out. Explosion can give your frail sun sweepers a free switch so that they don't have to take a hit.

Team Options
========

Chlorophyll sweepers such as Victreebel and Exeggutor can take advantage of the sun Regirock brings. Other good partners are Fire-types such as Typhlosion and Magmortar, which can spam sun-boosted Fire-type moves. Lastly, Regirock appreciates another reliable sun setter such as Uxie, which has its decent Speed, (capitalize) bulk, and access to dual screens and Memento, or a Prankster user such as Liepard or Volbeat, as they help support the team with their own sun.

Other Options
########

A fully offensive set using Choice Band or Rock Polish can be used, but it misses out on some of Regirock's best traits. A bulky boosting set with Curse can work, but it needs more team support to be useful. Fire Punch can be used as a situational move to hit Ferroseed and other Grass-types harder than anything else of Regirock's other moves. Another option is Protect on sets with Leftovers to scout and get a little extra recovery, but there isn't much room for it. A set using Drain Punch + Assault Vest can be used with maximum Attack investment to tank a few hits better, but it takes away all of Regirock's support moves.

Checks & Counters (Fixed all the spacing. Each section, whether it is a new set or checks / counters, they need needs ;p to be separated by 1 line each.)
########

**Special Attackers**: Hitting it Regirock on its less bulky Special Defense special side, (there are no sides! there is no spectrum. that implies that there's a middle ground between physical and special, which there isn't.) attackers such as Mesprit, Samurott, and Mega Camerupt can all 2HKO Regirock, but excluding Mega Camerupt, they all risk getting hit by Thunder Wave, which none of them appreciate.

**Water-types**: Samurott, Gorebyss, and Ludicolo all threaten to easily KO Regirock with their respective STAB moves, but they fear switching in because of Thunder Wave, while Pokemon such as Seismitoad, Lanturn, and Quagsire can burn Regirock and deal decent damage with Scald.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types resist Regirock's STAB moves and some, such as Gurdurr, even benefit from the status Regirock spreads. Other Fighting-types such as Sawk and Hariyama easily 2HKO Regirock with their respective STAB moves, but they dislike getting hit by the status moves Regirock commonly runs.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Leafeon and Vileplume can deal good damage to Regirock with their STAB moves, but they dislike getting paralyzed or poisoned. Lilligant can even use Regirock to set up and sweep, but it also has to be wary of Regirock's status moves.

**Passive Damage**: Poison and burn slowly wear down Regirock and negate the passive recovery Leftovers gives. Similarly, entry hazards can easily wear down Regirock to the point where it can't switch in any more.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)