VGC New here - Trick Room Team, help appreciated

Hello, I've poked around the forums a number of times to gather what information I could, but I finally decided to make an account to get more direct advice.

The format (obviously) is VGC. I've only actually been to one event, but I do have a good amount of experience with the video games and I've spent numerous hours on showdown in an attempt to refine my team. Without further ado, here is what I have so far:

Mawile @Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Nature: Brave
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Rock Slide

Mawile is my main beater at the present time. Between coverage, typing, and sheer power, it makes for an outstanding powerhouse that can easily take down two other Pokemon, even if burned or under the influence of Intimidate. Trick Room makes this Pokemon all the more vicious. The moveset I've chosen for it isn't too extraordinary. Iron Head and Play Rough provide pretty even coverage across the board as well as having STAB. Sucker Punch is there for the sake of priority. I've hovered between several moves for the last slot, between Thunder Fang for Water-types, Fire Fang to cover Steel-types, and Protect for the sake of Protect. As of right now I'm sticking with Rock Slide because it's a solid move that kills in doubles, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def
Nature: Quiet
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

No surprises here. Reuniclus can both tank moves and hit like a truck thanks to Life Orb. He's also my primary Trick Room-setter on this team. Trick Room is an obvious move, Psyshock is there to punish people that think Light Screen is going to work, Focus Blast is to kill Pokemon like Bisharp, Tyranitar, and other threats, and Protect is there because Protect.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
Nature: Sassy
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

The sheer amount of utility that Sableye has at its disposal is astounding. Short of Talonflame, there are very few Physical sweepers that he can't cripple, and it is for this reason that I usually lead with him alongside a T-Room setter. Fake Out takes care of whatever poses the larges threat while his partner sets up Trick Room, then I usually follow up with a Will-O-Wisp to cripple anything from Kangashkan, to Metagross, to Tyranitar or (most commonly) Bisharp, and either finish them off or take a large bite out of their health with Foul Play. Recover is there to allow Sableye to last obscenely large amounts of time and makes him virtually unkillable versus physical sweepers. He does die to the likes of Gardevior, but thankfully that's what the rest of the team is there for.

Talonflame @ Charti Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Taunt

Talonflame is here as a backup attacker in the case of events that Trick Room isn't up, and on top of that he can still pose a threat even in Trick Room. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz are somewhat obvious. They are some of the most powerful moves of their respective types, and each of them gets STAB from Talonflame. Because of this, my team gets coverage in a lot of areas where it would otherwise be at a disadvantage.
I've tried several moves for the last two slots, including Quick Guard, but I have never found it to be that useful in cases where I need it.

The above 4 members are the only ones I have set in stone. I've tried nearly a dozen different Pokemon in the last two slots, from T-Room setters like Chandelure and Slowking to sweepers and support Pokemon like Metagross and Amoonguss without much success. I'm still in the process of seeking suitable candidates (this is the main reason I'm posting, in fact), and I hope other members might be able to offer potential suggestions. Here are the last two members that I am currently testing:

Conkeldurr @Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
Nature: Brave
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock off
- Rock Slide

He beats Bisharp and a large number of other threats to my team. I've only just started testing him out, so this build is very rudimentary, but I should be able to refine it over time. Assault Vest helps him survive against offensive Psychic and Fairy Pokemon to some extent, and the move choice is pretty straightforward.

Swampert @Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Adamant
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch/Rock Slide (uncertain on this one)
- Protect

Another very common list. He handles Dragon-types, Flying-types, and Fire-types with little trouble, and his primary weakness to Grass-types is taken care of by Talonflame. Will-o-Wisp is still annoying, but again, this is a WIP. I'll try to iron out weaknesses as time goes on.

... Well, this is what I have so far. I want to make sure that I have a good team set in stone before I spend the time to start breeding in-game (I've already bred Sableye and Mawile, currently working on Talonflame), and no matter what I've tried, the last two slots always wind up changing hands. If it helps, the Pokemon I currently have the biggest problems with are strong Electric-types (namely Zapdos), Mega-Salamence, and bulky Water-types. I'm testing Swamptert out, which takes care of the former two problems, but he doesn't necessarily take care of bulky Water-types, which is something that Gastrodon (another option I've been mulling over) covers in addition to the other two. Still, I'm always open to constructive criticism

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to drop some knowledge my way.

Last edited:
I would recommend getting rid of protect on reuniclus for shadow ball, because it currently has no way of hitting psychic types or aegislash, plus in trick room you're not going to want to waste a turn going for protect. You want to use all four turns of trick room for offense. I would also consider putting eject button on sableye, so you could get a fake out off and possibly go into one of your attacks that can use trick room. The core of reuniclus and sableye can't really get a lot done. For new members you need a pokemon that does really well under trick room, because currently you only have mawile. I would try out conkeldurr and gastrodon, because gastrodon would help your zapdos weaknesss. Also, your team seems weak to both landorus-therian and rotom-wash, so gastrodon will help both those match-ups. Also, conkeldurr would help your rock weakness, and it is extremely powerful under trick room. It hits a lot of the things mawile has trouble with. Also, it's not very necessary to have two trick room setters on the same team. Most of them share a dark and ghost weakness, which means they are playing basically the same role when you put them on a team. It's especially unnecessary for a team like yours that can function well outside of trick room.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
If you really intend on getting TR set you have a couple of choices:

A: Mental Herb on Reuni
B: Use a mon with an ability that allows it to not be taunted such as Slowbro's Oblivious or Aromtisse's Aroma Veil. Serious VGC players will carry Taunt so you need to have a way around it.

Thanks for the tips!

bp139 Now that you mention it, there have been very few cases where I genuinely needed to use Protect. I put it on there in the first place because Reuniclus seemed to be a practical magnet for Fake Out and there was never anything better for him to do besides get hit in the face. Swapping it out for Shadow Ball should definitely help against Gardevoir, Cresselia, etc.. I haven't tried Eject Button on Sableye, so I might give that a go, but one of the reasons I have Sableye as a lead is not only so that he can use Fake Out, but also so that he can help cripple offensive threats like Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Landorus-Therian that would otherwise threaten to kill Reuniclus in one shot. The combo between Reuniclus and Sableye, despite having limited type coverage, can get a surprising amount of work done. I've tried Conkeldurr before and didn't like it as much as I wanted to, but I can always give it another go. Should I try Guts+Flame Orb, or Sheer Force + X? I'll also bear Gastrodon in mind, but I have been having some mild success with Mega Swampert on the side. I'll have to test out both more thoroughly until I come to a decision, but I'll definitely be running one of them in the final version of the team. I'll also probably take out the Slowking that I'm currently using. I really wanted to have a second option in case Reuniclus had a clear chance at biting the dust before getting off a TR, but all the other options I've tried have done little to nothing more than what Reuniclus has had the ability to accomplish. I've only had more success with Slowking than the others because he also has access to Water-type moves, and now that I'm going to run either Swampert or Gastrodon, the times I've used him have been even more scarce.

Old_Gregg Granted, I have had numerous problems with Reuniclus being Taunted in the past, but nowadays all I need to do is foresee which of my opponent's Pokemon might use Taunt and Fake Out accordingly. If Taunt becomes so much of a problem that I need to alter a Pokemon on my team or change Reuniclus's held item, I'd sooner just swap out one of Sableye's moves for Taunt and lock out whatever's trying to do the same to Reuniclus.

Regardless, the ideas are all appreciated, and I'll keep them all in mind when testing this team going forward. Thank you both!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A VGC team has 6 pokemon, you can choose four of the six. This team is incomplete. You also have issues with taunt so consider using aromatisse for aroma veil, and something to make you less weak to bisharp

A VGC team has 6 pokemon, you can choose four of the six. This team is incomplete. You also have issues with taunt so consider using aromatisse for aroma veil, and something to make you less weak to bisharp
Yes, and that's one of the reasons why I posted here, as mentioned in the original post. I've tested more than a dozen Pokemon in the last two slots of the team without any of them making any substantial impact, so I came here to ask about what would pair up best with the team. What would you recommend to combat Bisharp? Usually I can get by easily enough with a Fake Out/Will-o-Wisp and then a Focus Blast from Reuniclus, but that usually doesn't happen before Bisharp takes out ~60-70% of Reuniclus's HP with Knock Off. I've mulled over Conkeldurr, but is there anything else I should keep in mind?

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, and that's one of the reasons why I posted here, as mentioned in the original post. I've tested more than a dozen Pokemon in the last two slots of the team without any of them making any substantial impact, so I came here to ask about what would pair up best with the team. What would you recommend to combat Bisharp? Usually I can get by easily enough with a Fake Out/Will-o-Wisp and then a Focus Blast from Reuniclus, but that usually doesn't happen before Bisharp takes out ~60-70% of Reuniclus's HP with Knock Off. I've mulled over Conkeldurr, but is there anything else I should keep in mind?
I'm not qualified to rate vgc, I just didn't know whether you realized you were missing two pokemon. Either way, you shouldn't post an incomplete team, as it's not possible to rate correctly.

I'm not qualified to rate vgc, I just didn't know whether you realized you were missing two pokemon. Either way, you shouldn't post an incomplete team, as it's not possible to rate correctly.
My bad. I hadn't read the rules as of making the thread (mistake on my part). The reason I posted here was because I have no permanent Pokemon in the last two slots and wanted input, but I didn't realize that a full team of 6 was required for a RMT. I'll sub in the Pokemon I'm currently using in the last two slots and go from there. Thanks for clarifying.

i know you have 4 mons set in stone, but there are a lot of pokemon that can do the jobs better. so this might help if you are ok with replacing them!

a solid core/team that is good with mawile could look like cresselia/rotomh/landorus-t/amoonguss/hydreigon, which is a bit more flexible, can be played without trickroom too and has checks against electric types, mega mence, water types and breloom.

Cresselia (F) @ Mental Herb / Rocky Helmet / Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Iron Head / Rock Slide
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet / Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect / Dragon Pulse

i dont have any ev spreads atm and i just took the ones showdown suggested, but they are not good and you should definetly play around or look on nuggetbridge to find better spreads. mawile can use rockslide too because rotomh is scary and iron head isn't super important imo.

Last edited:
i know you have 4 mons set in stone, but there are a lot of pokemon that can do the jobs better. so this might help if you are ok with replacing them!

a solid core/team that is good with mawile could look like cresselia/rotomh/landorus-t/amoonguss/hydreigon, which is a bit more flexible, can be played without trickroom too and has checks against electric types, mega mence, water types and breloom.

Cresselia (F) @ Mental Herb / Rocky Helmet / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Iron Head / Rock Slide
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet / Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect / Dragon Pulse

i dont have any ev spreads atm and i just took the ones showdown suggested, but they are not good and you should definitely play around or look on nuggetbridge to find better spreads. mawile can use rockslide too because rotomh is scary and iron head isn't super important imo.
Hey, sorry for the late response and thanks for the advice. How good are Hydreigon and Scarf Landorus-T in a Trick Room team? I'm not exactly fluent in the metagame, but two Pokemon with full speed investment and no priority, in spite of making the team good outside of Trick Room, seems a little counterintuitive. Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box enough? :P. I'll also have to give Cresselia a go. I haven't tried her yet because I always thought of her as having low offensive potential and because I have generally neither the time nor the patience to soft reset in-game until I get a Legendary with desirable IVs, but perhaps I've underestimated her as a competitive option.

I'll keep all your suggestions in mind and I'll probably recreate the team you suggested, if not just to compare how it feels to what I currently have, but as it stands I'll probably stick to what I have and make changes to the last two slots as I try out the suggestions of others. Then again, maybe what I've considered "good" is only the tip of the iceberg and I might like the team you suggested a lot more. Who knows? :P

I agree with everything Terraquaza said, and since you're "not exactly fluent in the metagame," testing out that team may give you a good idea of how a part Trick Room team functions, and may give you something to emulate when you experiment with teambuilding yourself. I really hate full Trick Room teams, but I know many players (especially beginner players for some strange reason) really love them, probably because they are generally simple to play with as the goal is just to set up Trick Room and sweep. Though I hate full Trick Room, it's definitely a feasible option in this meta (more so than in 2014); however, if you're set on running a team completely reliant on Trick Room, unfortunately your team needs a MAJOR revamp to be successful on Battle Spot and live tournaments (which is more important if you plan on playing tournaments as those players are more than prepared to deal with Trick Room). If you want a good example of how a full on Trick Room team functions, Aaron Zheng (who goes by Cybertron on nugget bridge) has a fantastic YouTube channel in which he showcases his battles on Battle Spot and commentates on them to show his thought processes during team preview and the battle itself, and he is currently running a full Trick Room team with Mega Mawile and Cresselia as the setter (which is the best Trick Room setter out there in my opinion; Cresselia should be your primary setter because of her bulk. People are telling you to worry about Taunt, but one of the best Trick Room counters out there is Bisharp, and unlike Cresselia, Reuniclus can't survive a Knock Off from it). His team may have something for you to try out yourself as it is very simple to use and does pretty well against common Trick Room counters. https://www.youtube.com/user/CybertronProductions (just look at his most recent videos to find his Trick Room team).

I agree with everything Terraquaza said, and since you're "not exactly fluent in the metagame," testing out that team may give you a good idea of how a part Trick Room team functions, and may give you something to emulate when you experiment with teambuilding yourself. I really hate full Trick Room teams, but I know many players (especially beginner players for some strange reason) really love them, probably because they are generally simple to play with as the goal is just to set up Trick Room and sweep. Though I hate full Trick Room, it's definitely a feasible option in this meta (more so than in 2014); however, if you're set on running a team completely reliant on Trick Room, unfortunately your team needs a MAJOR revamp to be successful on Battle Spot and live tournaments (which is more important if you plan on playing tournaments as those players are more than prepared to deal with Trick Room). If you want a good example of how a full on Trick Room team functions, Aaron Zheng (who goes by Cybertron on nugget bridge) has a fantastic YouTube channel in which he showcases his battles on Battle Spot and commentates on them to show his thought processes during team preview and the battle itself, and he is currently running a full Trick Room team with Mega Mawile and Cresselia as the setter (which is the best Trick Room setter out there in my opinion; Cresselia should be your primary setter because of her bulk. People are telling you to worry about Taunt, but one of the best Trick Room counters out there is Bisharp, and unlike Cresselia, Reuniclus can't survive a Knock Off from it). His team may have something for you to try out yourself as it is very simple to use and does pretty well against common Trick Room counters. https://www.youtube.com/user/CybertronProductions (just look at his most recent videos to find his Trick Room team).
Thanks! I'll definitely check that out. Usually I just Fake Out/Will-o-Wisp to allow Reuniclus to use TR and then Focus Blast to take care of Bisharp, but if Cresselia is as good as you say it is, then I'll have to give her a go.

If you really intend to lead with Sableye you make yourself terribly weak to common special nukes like Sylveon and MegaZard.
To have a reliable Fake Outer I would recommend TrickRoom Kangaskhan @Megastone/ Adamant! (not Brave)/ enough speed to outspeed Breloom outside Trickroom/ Fake Out, Hammer Arm, Sucker Punch, Facade/Return
with only 4 Pokemon to use, its great to have support on Pokemon that can actually win the game on their own and momma can do that for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)