NU Sneasel

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Always bring it in on a free switch, after your Pokemon uses Volt Switch or U-turn, or on a predicted status move.
**Status Ailments**: Burn, poison, and paralysis from the likes of Weezing, Lanturn, and Liepard all hinder Sneasel's ability to sweep.
??? This doesn't make any sense.

I also don't particularly care for the Usage Tip "hit the opponent super effectively when you can", it should be obvious enough.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Comments in bold
Usage Tips
========

Try to set up on Pokemon that Sneasel can force out, as Sneasel can only afford to take one hit as it sets up a Swords Dance. As such, Sneasel should be used as a late-game cleaner when its Fighting-type counters have been eliminated. Try to bring Sneasel in the battlefield off of a fainted teammate, U-turn, or Volt Switch in order to prevent it from taking too much damage as it enters. Because Sneasel does not typically last long on the battlefield, the ability to hit foes such as Lilligant and Archeops super effectively with Ice Punch far outweighs removing their items with Knock Off. you don't tell me any Pokemon that Sneasel forces out nor do you tell me how to setup on anything if I can't force a switch (weak atks). Nor do you really say how to sweep or if you can 2HKO stuff on the switch and stuff like that.

Usage Tips
========

This set is primarily used as a revenge killer or a mid-game wallbreaker. Keep entry hazards off the field at all times, as Sneasel does not like residual damage. Moreover, as Sneasel lacks Eviolite, it should not be switching into any attacks. Always bring it in on a free switch, after your Pokemon uses Volt Switch or U-turn, or on a predicted status move. Though it may be tempting to spam Knock Off in order to cripple opposing Pokemon, it is important to hit foes super effectively as often as possible because Sneasel does not last long on the battlefield. Put a line in here about pursuit trapping X, Y, and Z.

Checks & Counters This needs to be expanded out, you need to outline specific scenarios Sneasel would encounter
########

**Bulky Fighting-types**: They're everywhere in the NU tier. Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Poliwrath hard wall Sneasel's moves, while Sawk can act as a one-time check. All of the aforementioned Fighting-types OHKO Sneasel with their STAB moves. Gurdurr has priority Mach Punch, Yama dies to a +2 LO Low Kick (shaky check), Poliwrath doesn't like Low Kick but resists both STABs.

**Fairy-types**: Mawile hard walls all of Sneasel's moves and threatens it with Play Rough. Mega Audino and Granbull both take pitiful damage from all of Sneasel's moves bar the rare Iron Tail or Poison Jab, and force Sneasel out with their Fairy-type STAB attacks. can any of these switch in on Sneasel? Can they spread para? setup on it?

**Priority Users**: Sneasel's frailty and bad defensive typing leave it vulnerable to priority attackers such as Mach Punch Gurdurr, Aqua Jet Samurott, and Fake Out Kangaskhan. Mention that Eviolite lets it take these hits better and that it also resists Sucker Punch and has its own priority to outpace said users so they have to be at good health

**Bulky Pokemon**: Sneasel fails to break several bulky Pokemon such as Feraligatr, Weezing, Carracosta, Bouffalant, Quagsire, and Seismitoad. Moreover, Sneasel's frailty means that said bulky Pokemon can KO it easily, even if they have not invested in offense. outline situations with each on and gatr is banned so remove that.

**Status Ailments**: Burn, poison, and paralysis from the likes of Weezing, Lanturn, and Liepard all hinder Sneasel's ability to sweep. how do they hinder sneasel? who else can spread said status moves?
Remove mentions of gatr as its banned.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I've always run Icicle Crash over Ice Punch. The miss chance is really minimal and you're losing out on a really good flinch chance which is really useful sometimes with Sneasel's speed. If QC opposes then I'm fine since it's relatively minor though.

I think Choice Band could easily be slashed first (maybe second, but deserves slash imo) on the all out attacker set. It's stronger, doesn't wear Sneasel down as much, and Sneasel's STABs are very spammable anyway. Thoughts?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok first off, I'm seconding what scorp said about Icicle Crash - its so much better than Ice Punch and the benefits such as the higher power, flinch chance, and not taking recoil damage from the likes of Garbodor definitely outweighs the perfect accuracy of Ice Punch. Just put crash in all places where ice punch currently is and mention ice punch in moves or slash it behind crash.

In all places where you talk about low kick, there are more targets to it besides just hariyama - its just one of the more important ones. Add klinklang, kangaskhan, tauros, bouffalant, and aurorus (probably the most important in terms of damage output differences). Maybe not all of those need to be mentioned, but my main point is that its not just Hariyama. This is more important on the second set since it plays as a hit and run attacker / revenge killer.

The first sentence in the overview might want to give sneasel a bit more credit considering how much of a huge threat it is atm, there could be some more "praising" adjective than great.

In usage tips for the SD set, mention in some way that while it does force out the bulky psychic types, they tend to run signal beam for malamar, but with an eviolite sneasel can easily chew one signal beam and set up a SD. Musharna and Xatu dont run status moves as often, but defensive uxie can either paralyze sneasel with twave or hit it really hard with u-turn.

A wallbreaker such as Typhlosion will weaken the opposing team so Sneasel can have an easier time cleaning up.
Add that Typhlosion loves Hariyama being heavily weakened by a boosted Low Kick so it can spam Fire type moves with more ease. Also, there are other wallbreakers that could be mentioned here, I'm sure you can think of some.

Personally, I dont like CB at all and while it does have merits I feel LO should be slashed first on the second set. Apart from scorp who brought cb up initially, if any other qc members have a thought on this could weigh in that would be great.

In the team options of the second set, specify when talking about garbodor that it loves xatu being pursuit trapped so it has an easier time setting up entry hazards.

Idk if I'd have cryogonal in team options since its not that great of a spinner atm and considering how awful ice-typing is defensively stacking those two just puts more strains on teambuilding to cover weaknesses. Claydol can be added in place of that.

They're everywhere in the NU tier.
This sentence ends kinda short and sounds awkward. Word it along the lines of "common fighting types in the tier such as (x, x, and x) are major issues for sneasel" and then have the sentences afterwards explaining how some check sneasel differently.

**Fairy-types**: Mawile hard walls all of Sneasel's moves and threatens it with Play Rough. Mega Audino and Granbull both take pitiful damage from all of Sneasel's moves bar the rare Iron Tail or Poison Jab and can set up a Calm Mind or Dragon Dance, respectively, in its face. All three Fairy-types can effortlessly switch in on even a +2 Sneasel.
wat
I think you mean swords dance lol

After this stuff and when we come to a conclusion on the item slashes for the second set this should be ready for the last check.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also throwing support behind Icicle Crash > Ice Punch

I think Choice Band's solid enough, the power difference is bigger than you'd think and not having recoil is useful especially when hazards are up. It should probably be second, but it's definitely slashworthy imo.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alternatively, Low Kick nails Steel-types, Normal-types, and Hariyama.
I think you had a phrase about this before, but just add on at the end something like "hariyama, which resists both of sneasel's stab moves thanks to thick fat", do that in the moves section of the second set as well. This is more or less just for newer players who wouldnt think at first that a fighting type walls an ice type, and just for general clarification.
Psychic-types such as Mesprit can beat the Fighting-types that Sneasel struggles with.
Mesprit beating fighting types is somewhat of an overstatement since it has to run colbur in order to take a knock off well. Change that to mesprit checks fighting types, which is a more valid statement.
...though Choice Band can be used if higher power is desired over the ability to change moves.
One of the other reasons stated why you'd use CB sneasel is that it LO + entry hazards quickly wear it down, and CB slightly alleviates that issue.
**Bulky Fighting-types**: Common Fighting types such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Poliwrath are all major issues for Sneasel. Gurdurr has STAB priority to OHKO even Eviolite Sneasel, while Hariyama and Poliwrath resist both of Sneasel's STAB attacks.
Idk why you removed it, but add here that hariyama takes heavy damage from low kick (even unboosted LO does a ton). As such, it is often a shaky check to sneasel. Also add that gurdurr dislikes losing its eviolite.

Tag me back when you've got this.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you had a phrase about this before, but just add on at the end something like "hariyama, which resists both of sneasel's stab moves thanks to thick fat", do that in the moves section of the second set as well. This is more or less just for newer players who wouldnt think at first that a fighting type walls an ice type, and just for general clarification.

Mesprit beating fighting types is somewhat of an overstatement since it has to run colbur in order to take a knock off well. Change that to mesprit checks fighting types, which is a more valid statement.

One of the other reasons stated why you'd use CB sneasel is that it LO + entry hazards quickly wear it down, and CB slightly alleviates that issue.

Idk why you removed it, but add here that hariyama takes heavy damage from low kick (even unboosted LO does a ton). As such, it is often a shaky check to sneasel. Also add that gurdurr dislikes losing its eviolite.

Tag me back when you've got this.
Done. Are we done yet?

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
am check. I'm still trying to get better at this (mainly the more tricky aspects of grammar and stylistic stuff) so hopefully I didn't screw too many things up

Additions
Removals
Comments

Overview
########

Sneasel is one of the best offensive Pokemon in NU thanks to its high base 115 Speed, allowing it to outrun almost the entire unboosted metagame, (RC) and including, (AC) most importantly, Archeops. Sneasel also has a decent Attack stat which, combined with its Speed, makes it a solid late-game cleaner. Access to STAB Knock Off and STAB priority give gives Sneasel plenty of powerful utility, allowing it to remove opposing items and pick off a weakened, faster Pokemon. However, Sneasel is fairly frail, so it finds it difficult to switch in and set up against opposing offensive pressure without an Eviolite. Sneasel is also susceptible to all entry hazards, so it needs a lot of support to enter the battlefield and sweep. However, with the right support, Sneasel is an offensive powerhouse capable of sweeping entire teams.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Ice Shard
move 4: Icicle Crash / Low Kick
ability: Inner Focus
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Sneasel's Attack to strong immense levels, allowing it to function as a sweeper. Knock Off is a reliable STAB move that removes the opponent's item, (RC) and is Sneasel's main STAB move due to its high power and perfect accuracy. The move fares very well against the Psychic-types of NU such as Xatu and Mesprit. Ice Shard is a STAB priority attack that nails faster opponents such as Swellow, +1 Lilligant, and Choice Scarf Rotom-S. Icicle Crash can be used for a more powerful Ice-type STAB move against Archeops, Cacturne, Vileplume, and +0 Lilligant before she sets up. If you dislike the chance to miss, Ice Punch can be used, but the drop in power is noticeable. Alternatively, Low Kick nails Steel-types, Normal-types, and, (AC) most importantly, (AC) Hariyama, which resists Sneasel's STAB moves thanks to Thick Fat.

Set Details
========

Full investment in Speed and Attack maximize maximizes Sneasel's potential to sweep. Eviolite provides it with just enough bulk to set up against less powerful weaker foes. Life Orb can be used to boost Sneasel's offensive presence, but the item wears Sneasel down quickly and makes it tougher to set up a Swords Dance. Inner Focus prevents Sneasel from flinching due to Fake Out from the likes of Hariyama and Kangaskhan.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up on a Pokemon that Sneasel can force out, preferably a Psychic-type or a defensive Pokemon, as since Sneasel can only afford to take one hit as it sets up a Swords Dance. Even though most Psychic-types run Signal Beam, Eviolite allows Sneasel to survive a single Signal Beam and set up a Swords Dance. If Sneasel cannot force its foe out, it only can set up only if the foe lacks does not have high offensive stats or lacks a status-inducing move such as Toxic. Try to bring Sneasel in the battlefield off of a fainted teammate, U-turn, or Volt Switch in order to prevent it from taking too much damage as it enters. Having a strong secondary STAB attack is also crucial in defeating other fast, (RC) and powerful Pokemon, particularly Archeops. Once set up, Sneasel is free to spam its STAB attacks, though it should always use Ice Shard against faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users. The combination of a +2 Knock Off and Ice Shard is enough to 2HKO Sawk on the switch, but it does negligible damage to Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Poliwrath. Ice Punch Icicle Crash (idk which move is meant to belong here, but Ice Punch is not in the set's slashes) will not save Sneasel against Gurdurr due to the threat of a STAB Mach Punch.

Team Options
========

A wallbreaker such as Zangoose or Typhlosion will can weaken the opposing team so Sneasel can have an easier time cleaning up. Typhlosion also enjoys having Hariyama weakened by Sneasel's Low Kick, allowing Typhlosion to spam its Fire-type moves more effectively. (Add Period) Psychic-types such as Mesprit can check the Fighting-types that Sneasel struggles with. Entry hazard removal from the likes of Mantine and Claydol can give Sneasel a much easier time switching in. Vileplume handles the Rock-, Fairy-, and Fighting-types that wall Sneasel and can aid Sneasel's sweep by putting foes to sleep with Sleep Powder. Entry hazard setters such as Garbodor can wear down opposing Pokemon in order to aid Sneasel in its attempt at a late-game sweep, and a status absorber such as Gurdurr prevents burn, poison, and paralysis from cutting Sneasel's sweep short.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Icicle Crash / Ice Punch
move 4: Pursuit / Low Kick
item: Life Orb / Choice Band

Moves
========

Knock Off is a powerful, and reliable STAB move that removes opposing items and hits several important Pokemon in NU hard (I think this fact should be made a bit more clear, "hits" is a little vague) including Uxie and Mismagius. Icicle Crash is a powerful, reliable another strong (Less repetitive imo though I suppose the wording could be better. Also idk if Icicle Crash is really "reliable") STAB attack that hits the offensive powerhouses of Archeops and Scyther and can flinch a foe before it can deal serious damage to Sneasel. It also hits Garbodor without making contact so Sneasel does not take chip damage from Garbodor's Rocky Helmet or Aftermath. Alternatively, Ice Punch can be used for its perfect accuracy. Ice Shard gives Sneasel a strong priority move to deal with Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-S, as well as faster Pokemon such as Swellow. Pursuit is used on a predicted switch to deal serious damage to Mesprit, Cryogonal, Jynx, and Xatu, whereas Low Kick nails Hariyama in addition to Steel- and Normal-types.

Set Details
========

Sneasel's Speed is fully invested in order for it to outspeed much of the unboosted metagame in addition to Archeops. Full Attack investment alongside Life Orb allow allows Sneasel to deal major damage while allowing it to switch attacks, though Choice Band can be used if higher power is desired over the ability to change moves. Moreover, Choice Band does not wear Sneasel down with recoil damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set is primarily used as a revenge killer or a mid-game wallbreaker. Keep entry hazards off the field at all times, as Sneasel does not like residual damage. Moreover, as Sneasel lacks Eviolite, it should not be switching into any attacks. Always bring it in on a free switch or after your Pokemon uses Volt Switch or U-turn (essentially repetitive). Having a strong secondary STAB attack is also crucial in defeating other fast, powerful Pokemon, particularly Archeops. When facing a Psychic- or Ghost-type, be sure to Pursuit trap it should you be running the move. Otherwise, use Knock Off to cripple the predicted switch-in.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters such as Crustle can wear down opposing Pokemon, making it easier for Sneasel to clean them up KO them (I think this fits better since this set isn't a cleaner per se). Fighting-types such as Hariyama appreciate Sneasel's ability to Pursuit trap Psychic-types, particularly Uxie and Musharna. Psychic- and Flying-types such as Mesprit and Rotom-S check the Fighting-types that give Sneasel a hard time. Poison-types such as Garbodor and Vileplume have good defensive synergy with Sneasel, as they cover Fighting-, Bug-, and Fairy-type moves while Sneasel covers Psychic-type moves. Garbodor also enjoys having Xatu Pursuit trapped so it can set up entry hazards more easily. Entry hazard removers such as Claydol and Prinplup make it easier for Sneasel to switch in and out of the battlefield, which it will be doing often.

Other Options
########

Poison Jab or Iron Tail can be used to hit Granbull and Mega Audino, both of which can wall Sneasel otherwise. Taunt can cripple opposing attempts to give Sneasel a status problem, but Sneasel often can't afford to give up an attacking move for it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Fighting-types**: Common Fighting types such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Poliwrath are all major issues for Sneasel. Gurdurr has STAB priority to OHKO Gurdurr's STAB Mach Punch OHKOes even Eviolite Sneasel, while Hariyama and Poliwrath resist both of Sneasel's STAB attacks. However, Gurdurr cannot switch into Sneasel or else it risks losing its Eviolite, while Hariyama is still hit hard by Low Kick.

**Fairy-types**: Mawile hard walls all of Sneasel's moves and threatens it with Play Rough. Mega Audino and Granbull both take pitiful damage from all of Sneasel's moves bar the rare Iron Tail or Poison Jab. All three Fairy-types can effortlessly switch in on even a +2 Sneasel.

**Priority Users**: Sneasel's frailty and bad defensive typing leave it vulnerable to priority attackers such as Mach Punch Gurdurr, Aqua Jet Samurott, and Fake Out Kangaskhan. However, Eviolite helps mitigate this weakness somewhat. Moreover, Sneasel resists Sucker Punch and has STAB priority of its own, so priority users must have a significant amount of health to threaten Sneasel.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Without a boost, Sneasel fails to break through several bulky Pokemon such as Weezing, Carracosta, Bouffalant, and Quagsire. All four Pokemon can switch into Sneasel as it uses Swords Dance. Weezing can burn Sneasel and wear it down with Flamethrower. Carracosta and Bouffalant both can take a +2 Knock Off and OHKO even Eviolite Sneasel with Stone Edge. Quagsire's Unaware bypasses any stat boosts Sneasel accumulates, (RC) and it can Toxic Stall stall Sneasel easily.

**Status Ailments**: All status problems hinder Sneasel's ability to sweep. Weezing can switch in on Sneasel and use Will-O-Wisp to cut its damage output in half. Liepard and Lanturn can use Thunder Wave to make Sneasel's high Speed useless; Liepard outspeeds Sneasel because of Prankster, while Lanturn can take a Knock Off from Sneasel easily. Toxic from defensive Pokemon such as Quagsire wears Sneasel down quickly, (RC) and, (AC) as long as Sneasel cannot break through the Toxic staller, the poison damage will KO it quickly.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
went over the amcheck for GP 1/2. Mr. Uncompetitive I think you did a good job here overall. check out my comments for more details :)
add remove comment
Overview
########

Sneasel is one of the best offensive Pokemon in NU thanks to its high base 115 Speed, allowing it to outrun almost the entire unboosted metagame, (RC) and including, (AC) most importantly, Archeops. (is Archeops unboosted? if so, it's probably better as "almost the entire unboosted metagame, including, most importantly, Archeops." if it boosts, then use "almost the entire unboosted metagame and, most importantly, Archeops.") Sneasel also has a decent Attack stat, which, combined with its Speed, makes it a solid late-game cleaner. Access to STAB Knock Off and STAB priority give gives Sneasel plenty of powerful utility, allowing it to remove opposing items and pick off a weakened, faster (either way is fine) Pokemon. However, Sneasel is fairly frail, so it finds it difficult to switch in and set up against opposing (eh, not super necessary. "switch in and set up against offensive pressure" does sound kinda weird to me though. like, you set up against Pokemon or teams, but not really against pressure) offensive pressure without an Eviolite. Sneasel is also susceptible to all entry hazards, so it needs a lot of support to enter the battlefield and sweep. However, with the right support, Sneasel is an offensive powerhouse capable of sweeping entire teams.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Sneasel's Attack to strong immense levels, allowing it to function as a sweeper. Knock Off is a reliable STAB move that removes the opponent's foe's (opponent=battler, foe=Pokemon) item, (RC) and is Sneasel's main STAB move due to its high power and perfect accuracy. The move fares very well against the Psychic-types of NU, (comma) such as Xatu and Mesprit. Ice Shard is a STAB priority attack that nails faster opponents foes such as Swellow, +1 Lilligant, and Choice Scarf Rotom-S. Icicle Crash can be used for a more powerful Ice-type STAB move against Archeops, Cacturne, Vileplume, and +0 (maybe "unboosted"?) Lilligant before she sets up. If you dislike the chance to miss, Ice Punch can be used, but the drop in power is noticeable. Alternatively, Low Kick nails Steel-types, Normal-types, and, (AC) most importantly, (AC) Hariyama, which resists Sneasel's STAB moves thanks to Thick Fat.

Set Details
========

Full investment in Speed and Attack maximize maximizes Sneasel's potential to sweep. Eviolite provides it with just enough bulk to set up against less powerful weaker foes. Life Orb can be used to boost Sneasel's offensive presence, but the item wears Sneasel down quickly and makes it tougher to set up a Swords Dance. Inner Focus prevents Sneasel from flinching due to Fake Out from the likes of Hariyama and Kangaskhan.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up on a Pokemon that Sneasel can force out, preferably a Psychic-type or a defensive Pokemon, as since (keep "as". we only use "since" to refer to time. ex: I haven't had cheesecake since January) Sneasel can only afford to take one hit as it sets up a Swords Dance. Even though most Psychic-types run Signal Beam, Eviolite allows Sneasel to survive a single Signal Beam and set up a Swords Dance. If Sneasel cannot force its foe out, it only can set up only ("only" is fine here. "it can only set up" is also good) if the foe lacks does not have high offensive stats or lacks a status-inducing move such as Toxic. Try to bring Sneasel into the battlefield off of a fainted teammate, U-turn, or Volt Switch in order to prevent it from taking too much damage as it enters. Having a strong secondary STAB attack is also crucial in defeating other fast, (RC) and powerful Pokemon, particularly Archeops. (not sure what this has to do with usage tips? "Use Icicle Crash to defeat other..."?) Once set up, Sneasel is free to spam its STAB attacks, though it should always use Ice Shard against faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users. The combination of a +2 Knock Off and Ice Shard is enough to 2HKO Sawk on the switch, but it does negligible damage to Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Poliwrath. Ice Punch Icicle Crash (idk which move is meant to belong here, but Ice Punch is not in the set's slashes) will not save Sneasel against Gurdurr, which can threaten Sneasel with due to the threat of a STAB Mach Punch.

Team Options
========

A wallbreaker such as Zangoose or Typhlosion will can weaken the opposing team so that Sneasel can have an easier time cleaning up. Typhlosion also enjoys having Hariyama weakened by Sneasel's Low Kick, allowing Typhlosion to spam its Fire-type moves more effectively. (Add Period) Psychic-types such as Mesprit can check the Fighting-types that Sneasel struggles with. Entry hazard removal from the likes of Mantine and Claydol can give Sneasel a much easier time switching in. Vileplume handles the Rock-, Fairy-, and Fighting-types that wall Sneasel and can aid Sneasel's sweep by putting foes to sleep with Sleep Powder. Entry hazard setters such as Garbodor can wear down opposing Pokemon in order to aid Sneasel in its attempt at a late-game sweep, and a status absorber such as Gurdurr prevents burn, poison, and paralysis from cutting Sneasel's sweep short.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is a powerful, and reliable STAB move that removes opposing items and hits several important Pokemon in NU hard, (I think this fact should be made a bit more clear, "hits" is a little vague) including Uxie and Mismagius. Icicle Crash is a powerful, reliable another strong (Less repetitive imo though I suppose the wording could be better. Also idk if Icicle Crash is really "reliable") STAB attack that hits the offensive powerhouses of Archeops and Scyther and can cause the foe to flinch a foe (flinch shouldn't be used like this :0 umm think of it like, tickling someone's nose doesn't sneeze them, it causes them to sneeze) before it can deal serious damage to Sneasel. It also hits Garbodor without making contact, (comma) so Sneasel does not take chip damage from Garbodor's Rocky Helmet or Aftermath. Alternatively, Ice Punch can be used for its perfect accuracy. Ice Shard gives Sneasel a strong priority move to deal with Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-S, as well as faster Pokemon such as Swellow. Pursuit is used on a predicted switch to deal serious damage to Mesprit, Cryogonal, Jynx, and Xatu, whereas Low Kick nails Hariyama in addition to Steel- and Normal-types.

Set Details
========

Sneasel's Speed is fully invested in order for it Maximum Speed investment allows Sneasel (pretty subjective but "fully invested in order" sounded kinda weird to me) to outspeed much of the unboosted metagame in addition to Archeops. Full Attack investment alongside Life Orb allow allows Sneasel to deal major damage (can use "and switch attacks" here if you want to mention that) while allowing it to switch attacks, though Choice Band can be used if higher power is desired over the ability to change moves. Moreover, Choice Band does not wear Sneasel down with recoil damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set is primarily used as a revenge killer or a mid-game wallbreaker. Keep entry hazards off the field at all times, as Sneasel does not like residual damage. Moreover, as Sneasel lacks Eviolite, it should not be switching into any attacks. Always bring it in on a free switch or after your Pokemon uses Volt Switch or U-turn (essentially repetitive). (up to you. if you keep it, I'd change "your Pokemon" to "a teammate") Having a strong secondary STAB attack is also crucial in defeating other fast, powerful Pokemon, particularly Archeops. (not really sure what this has to do with usage tips. rephrase maybe? "Use Icicle Crash to defeat other fast, powerful..."? is that what you meant?) When facing a Psychic- or Ghost-type, be sure to Pursuit trap it should you be running the move. Otherwise, use Knock Off to cripple the predicted switch-in.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters such as Crustle can wear down opposing Pokemon, making it easier for Sneasel to clean them up KO them (I think this fits better since this set isn't a cleaner per se). (idk) Fighting-types such as Hariyama appreciate Sneasel's ability to Pursuit trap Psychic-types, particularly Uxie and Musharna. Psychic- and Flying-types such as Mesprit and Rotom-S check the Fighting-types that give Sneasel a hard time. Poison-types such as Garbodor and Vileplume have good defensive synergy with Sneasel, as they cover Fighting-, Bug-, and Fairy-type moves while Sneasel covers Psychic-type moves. Garbodor also enjoys having Xatu Pursuit trapped so that it can set up entry hazards more easily. Entry hazard removers such as Claydol and Prinplup make it easier for Sneasel to switch in and out of the battlefield, which it will be doing often.

Other Options
########

Poison Jab or Iron Tail can be used to hit Granbull and Mega Audino, both of which can (not necessary, up to you) wall Sneasel otherwise. Taunt can cripple opposing attempts foes attempting (you cripple the foes, not the attempts) to give Sneasel a status problem, but Sneasel often can't afford to give up an attacking move for it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Fighting-types**: Common Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Poliwrath are all major issues for Sneasel. Gurdurr has STAB priority to OHKO Gurdurr's STAB Mach Punch OHKOes even ("even" is fine imo? rest of the changes are good) Eviolite Sneasel, while Hariyama and Poliwrath resist both of Sneasel's STAB attacks. However, Gurdurr cannot switch into Sneasel or else it risks losing its Eviolite, while Hariyama is still hit hard by Low Kick.

**Fairy-types**: Mawile hard walls all of Sneasel's moves and threatens it with Play Rough. Mega Audino and Granbull both take pitiful damage from all of Sneasel's moves bar the rare Iron Tail or Poison Jab. All three Fairy-types can effortlessly switch in on even a +2 Sneasel.

**Priority Users**: Sneasel's frailty and bad defensive typing leave it vulnerable to priority attackers such as Mach Punch Gurdurr, Aqua Jet Samurott, and Fake Out Kangaskhan. However, Eviolite helps mitigate this weakness somewhat. Moreover, Sneasel resists Sucker Punch and has STAB priority of its own, so priority users must have a significant amount of health to threaten Sneasel.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Without a boost, Sneasel fails to break through several bulky Pokemon such as Weezing, Carracosta, Bouffalant, and Quagsire. All four Pokemon can switch into Sneasel as it uses Swords Dance. Weezing can burn Sneasel and wear it down with Flamethrower. Carracosta and Bouffalant both can take a +2 Knock Off and OHKO even Eviolite Sneasel with Stone Edge. Quagsire's Unaware (made this change bc otherwise it sounds like Quagsire's Unaware can Toxic stall Sneasel rather than Quagsire itself) bypasses any stat boosts Sneasel accumulates thanks to Unaware, (RC) (keep the comma) and it can Toxic Stall stall Sneasel easily.

**Status Ailments**: All status problems hinder Sneasel's ability to sweep. Weezing can switch in on Sneasel and use Will-O-Wisp to cut its damage output in half. Liepard and Lanturn can use Thunder Wave to make Sneasel's high Speed useless; Liepard outspeeds Sneasel because of Prankster, while Lanturn can take a Knock Off from Sneasel easily. Toxic from defensive Pokemon such as Quagsire wears Sneasel down quickly, (RC) and, (AC) (the original comma placement was fine) as long as Sneasel cannot break through the Toxic staller, the poison damage will KO it quickly.

Last edited:

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks guys! P Squared you've been the only GP member who has checked my analyses lately; why don't the other guys want to check mine?

tehy

Banned deucer.
well i'm here to save the day, kinda

Delete in RED
Add in BLUE

Read comments
Comments:

Thick Fat Hariyama is, to me, the much better way to express to express how Hariyama walls Sneasel. Firstly, saying 'thanks to thick fat' implies thick fat has to do with its Dark resistance, and there is a way to fix that, but it's long; plus, not all Hariyama are Thick Fat.

In Usage Tips, i tried to encapsulate what you tried to say in a very short way; not sure if I succeeded, but you said a lot and some of it was kinda redundant.

checks and counters, no need to list those off before

Overview
########

Sneasel is one of the best offensive Pokemon in NU thanks to its high base 115 Speed, allowing it to outrun almost the entire unboosted metagame, and most importantly, Archeops. Sneasel also has a decent Attack which, combined with its Speed, makes it a solid late-game cleaner. Access to STAB Knock Off and STAB priority give Sneasel plenty of powerful utility, allowing it to remove opposing items and pick off a weakened, faster Pokemon. However, Sneasel is fairly frail, so it finds it difficult to switch in and set up against offensive pressure without an Eviolite. Sneasel is also susceptible to all entry hazards, so it needs a lot of support to enter the battlefield and sweep. However, with the right support, Sneasel is an offensive powerhouse capable of sweeping entire teams.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Sneasel's Attack to strong levels, allowing it to function as a sweeper. Knock Off is a reliable STAB move that removes the opponent's item,(rc) and is Sneasel's main STAB move due to its high power and perfect accuracy.,(period to comma) The move fares removing the opponent's item and faring very well against the Psychic-types of NU such as Xatu and Mesprit. Ice Shard is a STAB priority attack that nails faster opponents such as Swellow, +1 Lilligant, and Choice Scarf Rotom-S. Icicle Crash can be used for a more powerful Ice-type STAB move against Archeops, Cacturne, and Vileplume, and as well as Lilligant before she sets up. If you dislike imperfect accuracy the chance to miss, Ice Punch can be used, but the drop in power is noticeable. Alternatively, Low Kick nails Steel-types, Normal-types, and most importantly Hariyama, which resists Sneasel's STAB moves thanks to Thick Fat Thick Fat Hariyama.

Set Details
========

Full investment in Speed and Attack maximize Sneasel's potential to sweep. Eviolite provides it Sneasel with just enough bulk to set up against less powerful foes. Life Orb can be used to boost Sneasel's offensive presence, but the item it wears Sneasel down quickly and makes it tougher to set up a Swords Dance. Inner Focus prevents Sneasel from flinching due to Fake Out from the likes of Hariyama and Kangaskhan.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up on Pokemon that Sneasel can force out, preferably a Psychic-type or a defensive Pokemon, as Sneasel can only afford to take one hit as it sets up a Swords Dance,(ac) and certainly can't take a strong hit or a status move. Even though most Psychic-types carry run Signal Beam, Eviolite allows Sneasel to survive a single Signal Beam and set up a Swords Dance. If Sneasel cannot force its foe out,(rc) it can set up only if the foe does not have high offensive stats or lacks a status-inducing move such as Toxic. Try to bring Sneasel in the battlefield off of a fainted teammate, U-turn, or Volt Switch in order to prevent it from taking too much damage as it enters. Having a strong secondary STAB attack is also crucial in defeating other fast, powerful Pokemon, particularly Archeops. Once set up, Sneasel is free to spam its STAB attacks, though it should always use Ice Shard against faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users. The combination of a +2 Knock Off and Ice Shard is enough to 2HKO Sawk on the switch, but it does negligible damage to Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Poliwrath. Ice Punch Icicle Crash will not save Sneasel against Gurdurr due to the threat of a STAB Mach Punch.

Team Options
========

A wallbreaker such as Zangoose or Typhlosion will can weaken the opposing team so Sneasel can have an easier time cleaning up. Typhlosion also enjoys having Hariyama weakened by Sneasel's Low Kick, allowing Typhlosion to spam its Fire-type moves more effectively. Psychic-types such as Mesprit can check the Fighting-types that Sneasel struggles with. Entry hazard removal from the likes of Mantine and Claydol can give Sneasel a much easier time switching in. Vileplume handles the Rock-, Fairy-, and Fighting-types that wall Sneasel and can aid Sneasel's sweep by putting foes to sleep with Sleep Powder. Entry hazard setters such as Garbodor can wear down opposing Pokemon in order to aid Sneasel in its attempt at a late-game sweep, and a status absorber such as Gurdurr prevents burn, poison, and paralysis from cutting Sneasel's sweep short.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is a powerful, reliable STAB move that removes opposing items and hits several important Pokemon in NU,(ac) including Uxie and Mismagius. Icicle Crash is a powerful, reliable STAB attack that hits the offensive powerhouses of Archeops and Scyther and can flinch a foe before it can deal serious damage to Sneasel. It also hits Garbodor without making contact so Sneasel does not take,(ac) avoiding chip damage from Garbodor's Rocky Helmet or Aftermath,(ac) while having a nice flinch chance as well. Alternatively, Ice Punch can be used for its perfect accuracy. Ice Shard gives Sneasel a strong priority move to deal with Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-S, as well as faster Pokemon such as Swellow. Pursuit is can be used on a predicted switch to deal serious damage to Mesprit, Cryogonal, Jynx, and Xatu, whereas Low Kick nails Hariyama in addition to Steel- and Normal-types.

Set Details
========

Sneasel's Speed is fully invested in order for it to outspeed much of the unboosted metagame,(ac) especically in addition to Archeops. Full Attack investment alongside Life Orb allow Sneasel to deal major damage while allowing it to switch attacks, though Choice Band can be used if higher power and no recoil are is desired over the ability to change moves. Moreover,(rc) Choice Band does not wear Sneasel down with recoil damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set is primarily used as a revenge killer or a mid-game wallbreaker. Keep entry hazards off the field at all times, as Sneasel does not like residual damage. Moreover, as Sneasel lacks Eviolite, it should not be switching into any attacks.,(period to comma) so always Always bring it in on a free switch or after your Pokemon uses Volt Switch or U-turn second. Having a strong secondary STAB attack is also crucial in defeating other fast, powerful Pokemon, particularly Archeops. When facing a Psychic- or Ghost-type, be sure to Pursuit trap it should you be running the move. Otherwise, use Knock Off to cripple the predicted switch-in.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters such as Crustle can wear down opposing Pokemon, making it easier for Sneasel to clean them up. Fighting-types such as Hariyama appreciate Sneasel's ability to Pursuit trap Psychic-types, particularly Uxie and Musharna. Psychic- and Flying-types such as Mesprit and Rotom-S check the Fighting-types that give Sneasel a hard time. Poison-types such as Garbodor and Vileplume have good defensive synergy with Sneasel, as they cover Fighting-, Bug-, and Fairy-type moves while Sneasel covers Psychic-type moves.; Garbodor also enjoys having Xatu Pursuit trapped so it can set up entry hazards more easily. Entry hazard removers such as Claydol and Prinplup make it easier for Sneasel to switch in and out of the battlefield, which it will be doing often.

Other Options
########

Poison Jab or Iron Tail can be used to hit Granbull and Mega Audino, both of which wall Sneasel otherwise. Taunt can cripple opposing attempts to give Sneasel a status problem Sneasel, but Sneasel often can't afford to give up an attacking move for it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Fighting-types**: Common Fighting types such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Poliwrath are all major issues for Sneasel. Gurdurr has STAB priority to OHKO even Eviolite Sneasel, while Hariyama and Poliwrath resist both of Sneasel's STAB attacks. However, Gurdurr cannot switch into Sneasel or else it risks losing its Eviolite, while Hariyama is still hit hard by Low Kick.

**Fairy-types**: Mawile hard walls all of Sneasel's moves and threatens it with Play Rough.,(period to comma) while Mega Audino and Granbull both take pitiful damage from all of Sneasel's moves bar the rare Iron Tail or Poison Jab. All three Fairy-types can effortlessly switch in on even a +2 Sneasel.

**Priority Users**: Sneasel's frailty and bad defensive typing leave it vulnerable to priority attackers such as Mach Punch Gurdurr, Aqua Jet Samurott, and Fake Out Kangaskhan. However, Eviolite helps mitigate this weakness somewhat.,(period to comma) as does Sneasel's resistance to Sucker Punch. Moreover,(ac) Sneasel Moreover,(rc) Sneasel resists Sucker Punch and has STAB priority of its own, so priority users must have a significant amount of health to threaten Sneasel.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Without a boost, Sneasel fails to break several bulky Pokemon such as Weezing, (rc) Carracosta,(rc) Bouffalant,(rc) Quagsire. All four Pokemon can switch into Sneasel as it uses Swords Dance. Weezing can burn Sneasel and wear it down with Flamethrower.,(period to comma) while Carracosta and Bouffalant both can take a +2 Knock Off and OHKO even Eviolite Sneasel with Stone Edge. Quagsire's Unaware bypasses any stat boosts Sneasel accumulates, and it can Toxic Stall stall Sneasel easily.

**Status Ailments**: All status problems hinder Sneasel's ability to sweep. Weezing can switch in on Sneasel and use Will-O-Wisp to cut its damage output in half. Liepard and Lanturn can use Thunder Wave to make Sneasel's high Speed useless; Liepard outspeeds Sneasel because of Prankster, while Lanturn can take a Knock Off from Sneasel easily. Toxic from defensive Pokemon such as Quagsire wears Sneasel down quickly, and as long as Sneasel cannot break the Toxic staller, the poison damage will KO it quickly.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########

Sneasel is one of the best offensive Pokemon in NU thanks to its high base 115 Speed, allowing it to outrun almost the entire unboosted metagame including, most importantly, Archeops. Sneasel also has a decent Attack stat, which, when combined with its Speed, makes it a solid late-game cleaner. Access to STAB Knock Off and STAB priority gives Sneasel plenty of powerful utility, allowing it to remove opposing items and pick off weakened Pokemon. However, Sneasel is fairly frail, so it finds it difficult to switch in and set up against opposing offensive pressure without an Eviolite. Sneasel is also susceptible to all entry hazards, so it needs a lot of support to enter the battlefield and sweep. However, with the right support, Sneasel is an offensive powerhouse capable of sweeping entire teams.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Sneasel's Attack to immense levels, allowing it to function as a sweeper. Knock Off is a reliable STAB move that removes the foe's item and is Sneasel's main STAB move due to its high power and perfect accuracy. The move fares very well against the Psychic-types of NU, such as Xatu and Mesprit. Ice Shard is a STAB priority attack that nails faster foes such as Swellow, +1 Lilligant, and Choice Scarf Rotom-S. Icicle Crash can be used for a more powerful Ice-type STAB move against Archeops, Cacturne, Vileplume, and unboosted Lilligant. If you dislike the chance to miss, Ice Punch can be used, but the drop in power is noticeable. Alternatively, Low Kick nails Steel-types, Normal-types, and, most importantly, Hariyama, which resists Sneasel's STAB moves thanks to Thick Fat.

Set Details
========

Full investment in Speed and Attack maximizes Sneasel's potential to sweep. Eviolite provides it with just enough bulk to set up against weaker foes. Life Orb can be used to boost Sneasel's offensive presence, but the item wears Sneasel down quickly and makes it tougher to set up a Swords Dance. Inner Focus prevents Sneasel from flinching due to Fake Out from the likes of Hariyama and Kangaskhan.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up on a Pokemon that Sneasel can force out, preferably a Psychic-type or a defensive Pokemon, as Sneasel can only afford to take one hit as it sets up a Swords Dance. Even though most Psychic-types run Signal Beam, Eviolite allows Sneasel to survive a single Signal Beam and set up a Swords Dance. If Sneasel cannot force its foe out, it can only set up if the foe lacks high offensive stats or a status-inducing move such as Toxic. Try to bring Sneasel in the battlefield after off of a teammate fainteds teammate, [rc] or with a U-turn, [rc] or Volt Switch in order to prevent it from taking too much damage as it enters. Once it has set up, Sneasel is free to spam its STAB attacks, though it should always use Ice Shard against faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users. The combination of a +2 Knock Off and Ice Shard is enough to 2HKO Sawk on the switch, but it does negligible damage to Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Poliwrath. Icicle Crash will not save Sneasel against Gurdurr, which will threaten Sneasel with a STAB Mach Punch.

Team Options
========

A wallbreaker such as Zangoose or Typhlosion can weaken the opposing team so that Sneasel can have an easier time cleaning up. Typhlosion also enjoys having Hariyama weakened by Sneasel's Low Kick, allowing Typhlosion to spam its Fire-type moves more effectively. Psychic-types such as Mesprit can check the Fighting-types that Sneasel struggles with. Entry hazard removal from the likes of Mantine and Claydol can give Sneasel a much easier time switching in. Vileplume handles the Rock-, Fairy-, and Fighting-types that wall Sneasel and can aid Sneasel's sweep by putting foes to sleep with Sleep Powder. Entry hazard setters such as Garbodor can wear down opposing Pokemon in order to aid Sneasel in its attempt at a late-game sweep, and a status absorber such as Gurdurr prevents burn, poison, and paralysis from cutting Sneasel's sweep short.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is a powerful and reliable STAB move that removes opposing items and hits several important Pokemon in NU hard including Uxie and Mismagius. Icicle Crash is another strong STAB attack that hits the offensive powerhouses Archeops and Scyther and can cause a foe to flinch before it can deal serious damage to Sneasel. It also hits Garbodor without making contact, so Sneasel does not take chip damage from Garbodor's Rocky Helmet or Aftermath. Alternatively, Ice Punch can be used for its perfect accuracy. Ice Shard gives Sneasel a strong priority move to deal with Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-S, as well as faster Pokemon such as Swellow. Pursuit is used on a predicted switch to deal serious damage to Mesprit, Cryogonal, Jynx, and Xatu, whereas Low Kick nails Hariyama in addition to Steel- and Normal-types.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment allows Sneasel to outspeed much of the unboosted metagame in addition to Archeops. Full Attack investment alongside Life Orb allows Sneasel to deal major damage and switch attacks, though Choice Band can be used if higher power is desired over the ability to change moves. Moreover, Choice Band does not wear Sneasel down with recoil damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set is primarily used as a revenge killer or a mid-game wallbreaker. Keep entry hazards off the field at all times, as Sneasel does not like residual damage. Moreover, as Sneasel lacks Eviolite, it should not be switching into any attacks; always bring it in on a free switch. When facing a Psychic- or Ghost-type, be sure to Pursuit trap it should you be running the move. Otherwise, use Knock Off to cripple the predicted switch-in.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters such as Crustle can wear down opposing Pokemon, making it easier for Sneasel to KO them. Fighting-types such as Hariyama appreciate Sneasel's ability to Pursuit trap Psychic-types, particularly Uxie and Musharna. Garbodor also enjoys having Xatu Pursuit trapped so that it can set up entry hazards more easily. Psychic- and Flying-types such as Mesprit and Rotom-S respectively check the Fighting-types that give Sneasel a hard time. Poison-types such as Garbodor and Vileplume have good defensive synergy with Sneasel, as they cover Fighting-, Bug-, and Fairy-type moves while Sneasel covers Psychic-type moves. Garbodor also enjoys having Xatu Pursuit trapped so that it can set up entry hazards more easily. Entry hazard removers such as Claydol and Prinplup make it easier for Sneasel to switch in and out of the battlefield, which it will be doing often.

Other Options
########

Poison Jab or Iron Tail can be used to hit Granbull and Mega Audino, both of which wall Sneasel otherwise. Taunt can cripple foes attempting to give Sneasel a status problem, but Sneasel often can't afford to give up an attacking move for it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Fighting-types**: Common Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Poliwrath are all major issues for Sneasel. Gurdurr's STAB Mach Punch OHKOes even Eviolite Sneasel, while Hariyama and Poliwrath resist both of Sneasel's STAB attacks. However, Gurdurr cannot switch into Sneasel or else it risks losing its Eviolite, and while Hariyama is still hit hard by Low Kick.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Without a boost, Sneasel fails to break through several bulky Pokemon such as Weezing, Carracosta, Bouffalant, Quagsire. All four Pokemon can switch into Sneasel as it uses Swords Dance. Weezing can burn Sneasel and wear it down with Flamethrower. Carracosta and Bouffalant both can take a +2 Knock Off and OHKO Eviolite Sneasel with Stone Edge. Quagsire bypasses any stat boosts Sneasel accumulates thanks to Unaware, and it can Toxic stall Sneasel easily.

**Status Ailments**: All status problems hinder Sneasel's ability to sweep. Weezing can switch in on Sneasel and use Will-O-Wisp to cut its damage output in half. Liepard and Lanturn can use Thunder Wave to make Sneasel's high Speed useless; Liepard outspeeds Sneasel because of Prankster, and while Lanturn can take a Knock Off from Sneasel easily. Toxic from defensive Pokemon such as Quagsire wears Sneasel down quickly, and as long as Sneasel cannot break through the Toxic staller, the poison damage will KO it quickly.
2/2

Last edited:

Empress

Overview
########

Sneasel is one of the best offensive Pokemon in NU thanks to its high base 115 Speed, allowing it to outrun almost the entire unboosted metagame including, most importantly, Archeops. Sneasel also has a decent Attack stat, which, when combined with its Speed, makes it a solid late-game cleaner. Access to STAB Knock Off and STAB priority gives Sneasel plenty of powerful utility, allowing it to remove opposing items and pick off weakened Pokemon. However, Sneasel is fairly frail, so it finds it difficult to switch in and set up against opposing offensive pressure without an Eviolite. Sneasel is also susceptible to all entry hazards, so it needs a lot of support to enter the battlefield and sweep. However, with the right support, Sneasel is an offensive powerhouse capable of sweeping entire teams.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Sneasel's Attack to immense levels, allowing it to function as a sweeper. Knock Off is a reliable STAB move that removes the foe's item and is Sneasel's main STAB move due to its high power and perfect accuracy. The move fares very well against the Psychic-types of NU, such as Xatu and Mesprit. Ice Shard is a STAB priority attack that nails faster foes such as Swellow, +1 Lilligant, and Choice Scarf Rotom-S. Icicle Crash can be used for a more powerful Ice-type STAB move against Archeops, Cacturne, Vileplume, and unboosted Lilligant. If you dislike the chance to miss, Ice Punch can be used, but the drop in power is noticeable. Alternatively, Low Kick nails Steel-types, Normal-types, and, most importantly, Hariyama, which resists Sneasel's STAB moves thanks to Thick Fat.

Set Details
========

Full investment in Speed and Attack maximizes Sneasel's potential to sweep. Eviolite provides it with just enough bulk to set up against weaker foes. Life Orb can be used to boost Sneasel's offensive presence, but the item wears Sneasel down quickly and makes it tougher to set up a Swords Dance. Inner Focus prevents Sneasel from flinching due to Fake Out from the likes of Hariyama and Kangaskhan.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up on a Pokemon that Sneasel can force out, preferably a Psychic-type or a defensive Pokemon, as Sneasel can only afford to take one hit as it sets up a Swords Dance. Even though most Psychic-types run Signal Beam, Eviolite allows Sneasel to survive a single Signal Beam and set up a Swords Dance. If Sneasel cannot force its foe out, it can only set up if the foe lacks high offensive stats or a status-inducing move such as Toxic. Try to bring Sneasel in the battlefield after off of a teammate fainteds teammate, [rc] or with a U-turn, [rc] or Volt Switch in order to prevent it from taking too much damage as it enters. Once it has set up, Sneasel is free to spam its STAB attacks, though it should always use Ice Shard against faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users. The combination of a +2 Knock Off and Ice Shard is enough to 2HKO Sawk on the switch, but it does negligible damage to Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Poliwrath. Icicle Crash will not save Sneasel against Gurdurr, which will threaten Sneasel with a STAB Mach Punch.

Team Options
========

A wallbreaker such as Zangoose or Typhlosion can weaken the opposing team so that Sneasel can have an easier time cleaning up. Typhlosion also enjoys having Hariyama weakened by Sneasel's Low Kick, allowing Typhlosion to spam its Fire-type moves more effectively. Psychic-types such as Mesprit can check the Fighting-types that Sneasel struggles with. Entry hazard removal from the likes of Mantine and Claydol can give Sneasel a much easier time switching in. Vileplume handles the Rock-, Fairy-, and Fighting-types that wall Sneasel and can aid Sneasel's sweep by putting foes to sleep with Sleep Powder. Entry hazard setters such as Garbodor can wear down opposing Pokemon in order to aid Sneasel in its attempt at a late-game sweep, and a status absorber such as Gurdurr prevents burn, poison, and paralysis from cutting Sneasel's sweep short.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========

Knock Off is a powerful and reliable STAB move that removes opposing items and hits several important Pokemon in NU hard including Uxie and Mismagius. Icicle Crash is another strong STAB attack that hits the offensive powerhouses Archeops and Scyther and can cause a foe to flinch before it can deal serious damage to Sneasel. It also hits Garbodor without making contact, so Sneasel does not take chip damage from Garbodor's Rocky Helmet or Aftermath. Alternatively, Ice Punch can be used for its perfect accuracy. Ice Shard gives Sneasel a strong priority move to deal with Choice Scarf users such as Rotom-S, as well as faster Pokemon such as Swellow. Pursuit is used on a predicted switch to deal serious damage to Mesprit, Cryogonal, Jynx, and Xatu, whereas Low Kick nails Hariyama in addition to Steel- and Normal-types.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment allows Sneasel to outspeed much of the unboosted metagame in addition to Archeops. Full Attack investment alongside Life Orb allows Sneasel to deal major damage and switch attacks, though Choice Band can be used if higher power is desired over the ability to change moves. Moreover, Choice Band does not wear Sneasel down with recoil damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set is primarily used as a revenge killer or a mid-game wallbreaker. Keep entry hazards off the field at all times, as Sneasel does not like residual damage. Moreover, as Sneasel lacks Eviolite, it should not be switching into any attacks; always bring it in on a free switch. When facing a Psychic- or Ghost-type, be sure to Pursuit trap it should you be running the move. Otherwise, use Knock Off to cripple the predicted switch-in.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters such as Crustle can wear down opposing Pokemon, making it easier for Sneasel to KO them. Fighting-types such as Hariyama appreciate Sneasel's ability to Pursuit trap Psychic-types, particularly Uxie and Musharna. Garbodor also enjoys having Xatu Pursuit trapped so that it can set up entry hazards more easily. Psychic- and Flying-types such as Mesprit and Rotom-S respectively check the Fighting-types that give Sneasel a hard time. Poison-types such as Garbodor and Vileplume have good defensive synergy with Sneasel, as they cover Fighting-, Bug-, and Fairy-type moves while Sneasel covers Psychic-type moves. Garbodor also enjoys having Xatu Pursuit trapped so that it can set up entry hazards more easily. Entry hazard removers such as Claydol and Prinplup make it easier for Sneasel to switch in and out of the battlefield, which it will be doing often.

Other Options
########

Poison Jab or Iron Tail can be used to hit Granbull and Mega Audino, both of which wall Sneasel otherwise. Taunt can cripple foes attempting to give Sneasel a status problem, but Sneasel often can't afford to give up an attacking move for it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Fighting-types**: Common Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Hariyama, and Poliwrath are all major issues for Sneasel. Gurdurr's STAB Mach Punch OHKOes even Eviolite Sneasel, while Hariyama and Poliwrath resist both of Sneasel's STAB attacks. However, Gurdurr cannot switch into Sneasel or else it risks losing its Eviolite, and while Hariyama is still hit hard by Low Kick.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Without a boost, Sneasel fails to break through several bulky Pokemon such as Weezing, Carracosta, Bouffalant, Quagsire. All four Pokemon can switch into Sneasel as it uses Swords Dance. Weezing can burn Sneasel and wear it down with Flamethrower. Carracosta and Bouffalant both can take a +2 Knock Off and OHKO Eviolite Sneasel with Stone Edge. Quagsire bypasses any stat boosts Sneasel accumulates thanks to Unaware, and it can Toxic stall Sneasel easily.

**Status Ailments**: All status problems hinder Sneasel's ability to sweep. Weezing can switch in on Sneasel and use Will-O-Wisp to cut its damage output in half. Liepard and Lanturn can use Thunder Wave to make Sneasel's high Speed useless; Liepard outspeeds Sneasel because of Prankster, and while Lanturn can take a Knock Off from Sneasel easily. Toxic from defensive Pokemon such as Quagsire wears Sneasel down quickly, and as long as Sneasel cannot break through the Toxic staller, the poison damage will KO it quickly.
2/2
Thank you Winry! We are done here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)