The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
"The NFL’s Competition Committee – not the Ravens – proposed a rule change to be discussed at next week’s owners meetings".

"A lot of these proposals are generated from surveys from clubs and there was a concern on behalf of a number of clubs and a number of coaches and Coach Madden’s subcommittee that unless we had some guidelines in place, that this thing may get out of hand,” Fisher said."

Can't really see the Ravens still being salty about it anywhere in this article Pretzels

Can't really see the Ravens still being salty about it anywhere in this article Pretzels
"After the New England Patriots used deceptive ineligible receiver plays to help mount a come-from-behind victory over the Ravens in the divisional playoffs, quarterback Tom Brady said Baltimore needed to “study the rule book and figure it out.”

"Well, the rule book might change."

The fact that the article calls the formation a "trick" and "deceptive" instead of a perfectly legal formation is more than enough.

Salter than the sea imo

"The NFL’s Competition Committee – not the Ravens – proposed a rule change to be discussed at next week’s owners meetings".

"A lot of these proposals are generated from surveys from clubs and there was a concern on behalf of a number of clubs and a number of coaches and Coach Madden’s subcommittee that unless we had some guidelines in place, that this thing may get out of hand,” Fisher said."
You know that Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome is on the competition committee...

just stop for a minute and think about the fact that all 32 teams will (ab)use these formations next year if there's no rule put in place.

could you imagine the Eagles cycling these formations every other play? I wouldn't wish that on anybody

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't necessarily think the plays should be illegal, but the process by which they declare themselves should allow the defense time to adjust. Being able to wait til just before the snap to declare yourself INeligible seems a bit unfair (if that's what the current rule is, idk)

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't necessarily think the plays should be illegal, but the process by which they declare themselves should allow the defense time to adjust. Being able to wait til just before the snap to declare yourself INeligible seems a bit unfair (if that's what the current rule is, idk)
That's how I feel about it too. Maybe I'm biased cause we got fucked over by the perfectly legal abuse of this rule, but I feel as though if more teams start to use it, it'll make playing defense even harder than it already is under the current rules. Giving the defense time to actually identify who's ineligible or eligible is the best way to remedy this.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
people are acting like the plays are cheap and impossible to defend. Well, the defense will adjust and realize what recievers are eligible and which ones arent. We aren't going to ban trick plays because they are good. You think whoever invented the reverse pass / double pass wanted it banned because it was really good at first? No, they didn't, and defenses adjusted to better defend it and better read it. We will do the same here. This is not intentional hidden deception, where say, a player will not be announced in. The refs have to announce eligible and ineligible receivers after they check in; so if #55 is lining up as eligible, the defense will know, and if #23 is ineligible, the defense will also know. This is all an overreaction that will blow over pretty quickly imo.

Goddammit I try to make a serious point about our organization coming back into relevance and the next thing you know we sign trent
Trent Richardson has been unproductive in Indy for 2 years and he's a former Brown so he sucks. Why the heck would anyone sign him? Jesus, the Raiders need to get competitive. Tbh I'm tired of them being the crapshoot of the NFL.
Anyway, I'm really impressed by the Colts' offseason. RB was a position of need for us and we got a good one(sorry Shinryu). Not a DeMarco Murray but I'll take it. Andre Johnson is a great signing too. This guy finally has a solid QB to catch passes. I'm glad we got good veterans to help improve our young team but give a few years and both of these guys will be old and unreliable. Still hoping we get good young talents in the draft in case these guys aren't productive.
We've also managed to get help on DL with other signings like Nate Irving and Trent Cole. Indy is shaping into a Super Bowl threat. Look out ,Patriots, next year could be our year.

Last edited:
just stop for a minute and think about the fact that all 32 teams will (ab)use these formations next year if there's no rule put in place.

could you imagine the Eagles cycling these formations every other play? I wouldn't wish that on anybody
The NFL should probably outlaw all play calling creativity while their at it.

I mean Teams got confused by the wildcat too, then they adjusted.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
The refs have to announce eligible and ineligible receivers after they check in.
This. They literally tell you who is eligible and who isn't. "Oh we don't have enough time to adjust" this is a problem with the no huddle not the eligibility.

RIP Philadelphia Eagles HoFer Chuck Bednarik. Died at the age of 89. He was also a WW2 hero. This guy was a legend. Prayers out to his family and the Eagles in the next few days while they mourn his death.

RIP Philadelphia Eagles HoFer Chuck Bednarik. Died at the age of 89. He was also a WW2 hero. This guy was a legend. Prayers out to his family and the Eagles in the next few days while they mourn his death.
I remember reading an article about him on like ESPN or so the other month, dude was just insanely tough. Sad to hear of his passing.

Pats let Talib walk to sign a huge contract with their biggest rival last offseason and signed Revis after he was cut by the Bucs. (They orginally got Talib for a 4th rounder in 2012)

Now they pick up a 3rd round compensatory pick because players that were cut don't factor into the process.

Its embarrassing how ahead of the game they are.

And they'll get another 3rd rounder next year.

Patriots won't be as dominant next year. The Bills,Dolphins, and Jets are all working to close the gap of the division. It'll be a tough division next year I'm calling it. Bills are going to make it into the playoffs for the first time since 1999 as a wild card.
Speaking of which, I have some predictions next year
- The Indianapolis Colts will finish 13-3 with the best record of the AFC(one of those losses will be to the Patriots)
- Philadelphia Eagles will win the division with 12-4
- The Atlanta Falcons will have a winning season but will miss the playoffs
- Carolina Panthers are going to win division again
- Buffalo Bills will be a wild card
- Cincinnati Bengals will miss the playoffs, losing the division to the Steelers or Ravens.
- San Francisco 49ers will finish last in the division
- Dallas Cowboys will go 8-8 yet again
- Denver Broncos will have a fixed up Peyton Manning and will go to the AFC Championship game
- Seattle Seahawks will either go to the Super Bowl again or go to the NFC Championship
- Arizona Cardinals will be 3rd in the division behind the Rams

Last edited:
The Colts are the most overrated team in the NFL.
Says the Patriots fan. Owait, rivalries are a thing. Yay team bias.
But in all seriousness, if you don't see the Colts as a threat then you either haven't watched them play or you've been ignoring their big free agency moves. They were already a great team. They just needed help. Enter free agency. We got a ton of players that we needed. Frank Gore,Andre Johnson, Trent Cole,Nate Irving, and Kendall Langford are all excellent grabs.
Id Take the Ravens, Steelers, Pats and Broncos ahead of them.
What are you smoking? Because I want some

Weren't you the one who gave your own team the best record in the AFC?
Yes but not because of team bias. It's a realistic prediction because I analyzed the current team,free agency, and schedule. We play the NFC South and AFC East. Should be easy. Saying the Colts will go 12-4 or 13-3 isn't a stretch or team bias
However, I'm not going to say the Colts will be a better overall team than the Pats. The Patriots are still the better team but given that they lost guys like Darrelle Revis and their division rivals will be tougher, I predict that the Colts will have the better RECORD. BTW, I said that one of the Colts' losses was to the Patriots so yeah :P

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know, remind me again what the Colts did to improve their defense? I can't recall any important Free Agency signings on that side of the ball. I know they improved their offense with AJ80 and Gore (although those guys are old so we'll see how effective it ends up being), but correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)