Other Pokemon of the Week [Starmie]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ice Punch and Ice Beam are identical if you go Sassy instead of Careful, and they're both 2HKOs regardless.

Edit: Identical against SpD Gliscor**

0 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 228-272 (64.7 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 228-272 (64.7 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

What neutral targets is Ice Punch hitting that Stone Edge doesn't hit equally hard? I know it's not very reliable, but Ice Beam does a huge amount more to Landorus-T:

-1 0 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 148-176 (38.7 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 296-352 (77.4 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 300-356 (94 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

-1 0 Atk Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 200-236 (62.6 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I thought we were talking about Scarf. Rip

We were talking about thehoundofdoom's set, which isn't very viable, but I just wanted to let him know that ice beam is usually a good option on ttar.

Alright I made this team and was able to win 4 out of 5 matches with it. I will take note of a sassy nature, and I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner. I meant ice beam not ice punch at all. Me and this other guy were talking about mega alakazam getting huge power and I must of been thinking of that while making this tyranitar

Anyways this is the team I used

Tyrant (Tyranitar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Patrick (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Scizora (Scizor) (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Lando (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Slowbra (Slowbro) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Latias Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP/ 184 sp att/ 252 speed
Timid Nature
-Defog
-Draco Meteor
-Hidden Power Fire
-Healing Wish
phone started glitching on Latias for some reason.

Last edited:
I find regular Tyranitar to be an excellent Pokemon in the current metagame. Its arguably the best Pursuit trapper in the tier thanks to its combination of bulk and power, allowing it to pair up well with two of the best mons in the tier; Keldeo and Landorus-I. Both CB and CS are excellent at Pursuit trapping, although I believe that CB is generally better at pursuit trapping than CS due to its greater power and better ability to pursuit trap defensive mons, namely cresselia, while also invoking less risk in Pursuiting mons like Latios and Latias. CS is overall more useful against offensive teams, as it can trap Gengar and Starmie without any issues, while also being able to revenge kill Mega Pinsir reliably.

I find the Sand set to be lackluster outside of setting up Sand. May Just be the way I have been using it, but outside of setting up sand and SR, Tyranitar just sits there and does nothing. It lacks the power and Speed to Pursuit trap nearly as well as if it was using either its CB or CS set, respectively. That isn't to say its completely useless, however, as Sand is incredible support for Excadrill, making it one of the most terrifying mons in the tier.

Am I the only one who thinks there's some potential viability to a Leftovers/Chople Berry 3 Attacks + SR set like you'd see in BW? I was working on a Zard-Y Balance and wanted to be able to pursuit trap and have SR on the same mon, and honestly, it isn't bad. It straight up wins the 1v1 against most of the relevant defog/spin users (Lati@s, Starmie, Tentacruel), which makes it not bad as an SR setter imo. Bisharp can do the same thing, but its much less bulky, has a weaker pursuit, and hates losing any of knock off/sucker punch/iron head.

Yes, that does sound like a good idea. Tyranitar makes for an effective SR setter and can pursuit trap at the same time. Being able to defeat Talonflame is also pretty nice, as Zard Y appreciates specially defensive Talonflame gone.

cold bacon

Base Stats: 110 HP / 130 Atk / 80 Def / 70 SpA / 60 SpD / 80 Spe
Abilities: Oblivious / Thick Fat

Alright, this weeks victim will be Mamoswine! Mamoswine has very good super effective and neutral coverage with it's two STABs alone, Icicle Crash and Earthquake. It has high Attack, and makes for a great check to double genie offensive thanks to priority Ice Shard. Mamoswine also has access to Freeze Dry, allowing it to hit Pokemon such as Slowbro, Gyarados, Quagsire, and Rotom-W. It also has two great abilities in Oblivious, which allows it to be a great lead that can set up Stealth Rock effectively without being taunted, and Thick Fat, giving it an Ice resist and a Fire neutrality. However, Mamoswine's typing, although great offensively, is lackluster defensively, leaving it weak to common priority moves such as Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, and Mach Punch. Let's discuss!​

I remember using a mamo swine before. I used him as a rock setter, but sometimes when it comes to it I will endeavor then ice shard whoever tried killing me

Mamowine @ focus sash
Ability: Oblivious/ thick fat
nature: Jolly
252 att/ 252 spe/ 4 Def
-stealth rock
-endeavor
-ice shard
-earthquake

Loved using Mamoswine from Gen IV onwards. The set I used most often was Sub + 3 attacks: come in to revenge or on a sure Electric attack, and Sub on the switch. Mamo scares a lot of things away with its STABs and power, so this isn't too tricky. Sub on a Swine catches a lot of people off guard, and gives you breathing space to hit something hard.

For instance, a dragon like Dragonite or Chomp KOs something. You bring in Mamoswine, for the obvious Ice Shard. They switch to Keldeo or something, you Sub. Keldeo either switches or breaks your sub and gets an EQ in the face.

Rotom-W is a big problem, so kill that asshole first. Use Freeze-Dry as your third attack (Ice Shard and EQ are non-negotiable), and lure it in. Sub as it comes in, Freeze-Dry as it attacks. Free hit, and you prevent any Trick nonsense too.

And Icicle Spear ftw: such a fun move. Bust enemy Subs and maim what's behind - stuff like Gliscor, which sometimes stays in to get you with Knock Off or Toxic as you break the sub. If you roll 4 or 5 hits, it's dead in one go. Back in the day, Icicle Spear also provided a backstop against FEAR shenanigans from that asshole lv.2 Probopass. I hated that thing.

Icicle Crash is more reliably powerful, but Spear doesn't miss. Mamo is a great 'utility check', with multi-hit, priority, high power and now Freeze Dry to mess with more things than ever.

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Substitute
- Earthquake

or

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Not sure about EVs on the Freeze-Dry set - might need more SpA. I like full speed on Mamo to catch things out with Sub or a KO when they don't expect it.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
Loved using Mamoswine from Gen IV onwards. The set I used most often was Sub + 3 attacks: come in to revenge or on a sure Electric attack, and Sub on the switch. Mamo scares a lot of things away with its STABs and power, so this isn't too tricky. Sub on a Swine catches a lot of people off guard, and gives you breathing space to hit something hard.

For instance, a dragon like Dragonite or Chomp KOs something. You bring in Mamoswine, for the obvious Ice Shard. They switch to Keldeo or something, you Sub. Keldeo either switches or breaks your sub and gets an EQ in the face.

Rotom-W is a big problem, so kill that asshole first. Use Freeze-Dry as your third attack (Ice Shard and EQ are non-negotiable), and lure it in. Sub as it comes in, Freeze-Dry as it attacks. Free hit, and you prevent any Trick nonsense too.

And Icicle Spear ftw: such a fun move. Bust enemy Subs and maim what's behind - stuff like Gliscor, which sometimes stays in to get you with Knock Off or Toxic as you break the sub. If you roll 4 or 5 hits, it's dead in one go. Back in the day, Icicle Spear also provided a backstop against FEAR shenanigans from that asshole lv.2 Probopass. I hated that thing.

Icicle Crash is more reliably powerful, but Spear doesn't miss. Mamo is a great 'utility check', with multi-hit, priority, high power and now Freeze Dry to mess with more things than ever.

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Substitute
- Earthquake

or

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Not sure about EVs on the Freeze-Dry set - might need more SpA. I like full speed on Mamo to catch things out with Sub or a KO when they don't expect it.
the sub looks pretty interesting, the only issue imo is that freeze dry is usually used with a LO that helps it to get past its counters more reliably
16 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 110-132 (36.3 - 43.5%) -- 98% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 143-172 (47.1 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Always cook your bacon, firehusky. I know Mamo isn't the easiest bacon to cook due to thick fat, but it's not that hard, it's only neutral to the oven. Anyway, Mamoswine is a cool pokemon with a few cool sets. IMO, the rock setter or LO attacker is it's best set. The freeze-dry lure is pretty cool, and one of my favourite lures, right up there with aerial ace Bisharp (I like lures in general, the more unorthodox, the better). Mamoswine doesn't need to carry coverage much, as it has great coverage on everything not named Rotom-W with just it's STABs mold breaker Mamo ftw. My favourite set is:

Mamoswine @ Life orb
Ability: Thick and Fat
EVs: 240 Atk, 16 S.Atk, 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
Naive Nature

- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Freeze Dry

Between Curse, Amnesia, Thick Fat and Ice Shard I have wanted to find a way to make a Weakness Policy set. 110/80/60 defenses aren't bad with no 4x weaknesses to be had. I could never really think of what the best EV spread would be however. Mamoswine could really abuse a +2 Freeze Dry for example with certain investment. with such good HP perhaps Adamant 252 At / 252 SpD with Amnesia, Ice Shard, Earthquake and Curse/Freeze Dry? I don't expect it to be an OU staple, just really fun.

Sounds like a fun set, but tbh I don't really think it'll work in practice. Mamoswine basically needs all of its moves, Ice Shard for priority, Icicle Crash to hit Ground resists, Earthquake as a STAB move and hits Ice resists, and Freeze Dry to lure bulky waters. I wouldn't run Curse and Amnesia on the same set, as then Mamoswine is just walled by way too much stuff. Amnesia / Icicle Crash / Earthquake / Freeze Dry sounds pretty cool, but you would probably be better off by using something like Gorebyss to pass it boosts.

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Substitute
- Earthquake
Tried using this set in the new suspect (poor giratina). A slightly weakened Giratina is a perfect set up fodder because no one wants to lose their new toy. So entertaining to see the people's reaction.

Base Stats: 55 HP / 50 Atk / 45 Def / 135 SpA / 95 SpD / 120 Spe
Mega: 55 HP / 50 Atk / 65 Def / 175 SpA / 95 SpD / 150 Spe
Ability: Magic Guard ---> Trace

Alright, this weeks victim will be Alakazam & Alakazam Mega! Alakazam has a niche of being a great revenge killer, as the combination of Magic Guard and Focus Sash allows it to guarantee at least 1 hit. Life Orb sets are also very powerful, and Alakazam does not take Life Orb damage thanks to Magic Guard. Mega Alakazam has a very unique ability in Trace, allowing it to copy abilities such as Sheer Force, Sand Stream, and Swift Swim, allowing it to revenge kill many weather sweepers. It has very high special attack and speed, outspeeding 99% of the unboosted metagame, and tying with Mega Aerodactyl. However, they both have mediocre typings and are very frail, so they are easily revenge killed by priority moves such as Talonflame's Brave Bird and Scizor's Bullet Punch. Let's discuss!

ahh cm is viable 2 [: just gotta make sure prioroty users scarf users are gone. then u can start setting up on fat stuff. unless unware mon. wat partners do u use with zam?
Good partners? You mostly want to take on common Scarfers and priority users. Scizor and Mega Scizor are hard checked by fast Heatran and Keldeo. Bisharp is another common priority user. Keldeo again works here, as does Chesnaught. Talonflame is probably another big priority user, and Hippowdon, Slowbro, and Heatan all check it. Char-X and Landorus-T are two threats that you want to have answers to at +1 speed, again Hippo and Slowbro work here.

So a core of Mega Alakazam, Keldeo, and Hippowdon is a strong foundation, with other options like Tran available.

Usually I like stuff like Knock Off Landorus-I to lure in stuff like Chansey and weaken it, hazard stackers such as Custap Skarm are also great to abuse the switches that mega zam forces. Pursuit from the likes of tytar is also nice to trap chansey and remove the lati twins since shadow ball needs some prior damage to KO. I also find Heatran a decent partner as it can take priority from the likes of scizor and talonflame, but most of the time zam is found on HO whereas Heatran has a hard time finding a spot on HO teams.

Actually, I find Mega Zam HO difficult to build becuase it invites virtually any kind of priority in. This somewhat limits your other potential team choices. Granted, it's not as limiting as something like Mega Heracross (that's basically a formula at this point imo), but you have a small pool of HO mons that can take a priority hit or two consistantly. A lot of that goes back to the inconsistent nature of HO in general, but I'm tangenting now. On bulky offense or balanced, however, you can pack bulky checks that can eat priority all day. That, and pretty much anything can fit on balanced with a little bit of creativity ;)

I like Mega Zam a lot. It is tied for the fasted unboosted pokemon in the tier, which combined with it's mind boggling 175 base special attack makes for a potent late game cleaner. It also has wonderful coverage with psychic stab, focus blast, and shadow ball, though relying on focus miss so much does suck. I've seen some other sets that run things like dazzling gleam for dragons, so it's attacking moves aren't even always that predictable. It's speed really is fantastic, being able to outspeed relevant scarfers like tar, tran, and both mags, and assuming fb doesn't miss, mega zam can either OHKO or take a huge chunk of their hp. Zam's biggest problem is definitely his susceptibility to priority, as others have said, but this can be remedied somewhat with substitute. Sub is a great option on Zam because it can force a lot of switches, but this strategy requires a teammate to be sacked most of the time as Zam doesn't have the ability to switch in due to its frailty. Sub also has the benefit of allowing Zam to take on sucker punch users assuming he hasn't already revealed sub as a moveslot. Sub can be problematic though sometimes because prominent pixilate/hype voice users can easily take advantage, and Zam can't really do much in return because of their high special defenses. Finally magic guard is a nice ability pre mega-evo allowing Zam not to take any entry hazard damage when it goes for a late game sweep. Trace is pretty situational, but does find some utility in copying abilities like prankster or unaware from an already boosted clef.

I have a few replays that I think show what MegaZam can do:

I haven't used regular Alakazam at all really but Focus Sash/Thunder Wave or Life Orb All Out Attacker seem like the way to go.

Don't run timid because you take 40+ from mega lopunny it's not worth it and Sceptile and Beedrill are almost never seen. The power you lose is not worth it for a pokemon thats going to fake out you to death anyway. I find it good on balance because you have pokemon that have no trouble repeatedly switching into priority like rotom-w and keldeo. i wouldn't recommend CM because priority stops your sweep and it's very hard to set up in general. I use it as an offensive pivot(dat high risk double)/rkiller/late late game sweeper.

Don't run timid because you take 40+ from mega lopunny it's not worth it and Sceptile and Beedrill are almost never seen. The power you lose is not worth it for a pokemon thats going to fake out you to death anyway. I find it good on balance because you have pokemon that have no trouble repeatedly switching into priority like rotom-w and keldeo. i wouldn't recommend CM because priority stops your sweep and it's very hard to set up in general. I use it as an offensive pivot(dat high risk double)/rkiller/late late game sweeper.
Mega lopunny checks are hard to find, and I wouldn't sacrifice alakazam's speed tier just for a little extra power. Zam's best trait is its ability to perform well vs offense, and outspeeding mons is a large part of that.

(I'm not just pulling this out of my ass, I have a lot of experience with mega alakazam)

Invok3r said:
Mega lopunny checks are hard to find, and I wouldn't sacrifice alakazam's speed tier just for a little extra power. Zam's best trait is its ability to perform well vs offense, and outspeeding mons is a large part of that.
Totally agreeing with this. Being able to revenge kill mega lop is a huge asset for mega zam. And even if lop comes in after mega alakazam has killed something else, burning that fake out turn is really easy with balance mons like defensive garchomp or slowbro or choice band scizor. Even still, mega zam has a piddly chance to be 2HKO'ed by fake out from adamant mega lop at full health, and no one should really be running adamant lopunny anyway.

252+ Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam: 106-126 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

That being said, I definitely agree with the point that Mega Alakazam thrives on balance teams. Balance teams are especially useful in taking down priority users and weakening zam's checks/counters for a late game sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)